Week 3 vs Bengals.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Keep them on the sidelines. Let's get them as healthy as possible before the long haul after the bye.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sproles 2.0 over Datone and Eddie? ***** you crazy. Never take a RB in the 1 unless you KNOW he's special.

He went in the second rd so we could have still got Dantone in the first, traded up to take Bernard in the 2nd. Besides.. having a sproles 2.0 wouldn't be a bad thing at all.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
He went in the second rd so we could have still got Dantone in the first, traded up to take Bernard in the 2nd. Besides.. having a sproles 2.0 wouldn't be a bad thing at all.
We needed a banger not a shifter. I certainly wouldn't have traded up for him.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Anyone else slightly concerned about the bye being so early in the season? I sure don't like it.
It's going to be a long season with no recovery time. I think the league was pissed at us for making a stink and ending the replacement refs, so they punished us with an early bye.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Just to clarify to any opposing fans out there, the game after the Vikings is a Monday game, and the Thanksgiving game... well that's kind of obviously a Thursday game.

Shanghai Pack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greetings all. I'm a long time Packer fan recently transplanted to China for this season and I'm dying to discuss the team with other fans (the NFL, as it turns out, not so popular in China). This is my first post, so goes easy on me.

I think this is a bad matchup for us. The Bengals have a very talented defensive line that has a lot of depth to it. I've seen some posts talking about how it won't matter because the Bengals don't have pass rushers on the likes of Aldon Smith or Ryan Kerrigan/Brian Orakpo, etc and our offense managed to move the ball against those teams, but I can't as easily dismiss the Bengals. I think Geno Atkins is a pass rusher on that level, but more importantly, I think there's a big difference in that the Niners and Skins get most of their pressure on the edges, while what the Bengals really excel at it is inside pressure. Previously I would have thought that worked to our favor as our tackles are so unproven compared to the interior of our line, but I really think our guards and center have struggled this season, particularly Josh Sitton. I think the Sitton-Atkins matchup is the single most important one in the whole game. If the Bengals get good inside pressure it should disrupt the offense the entire day (and will put extra pressure on our tackles to engage the ends earlier than normal to provide Rodgers an edge and a possible chance to spin out of the pocket if he needs to). If we have time to throw, not to disparage the Bengals secondary, but Rodgers is Rodgers after all. I don't expect much from Starks and our running game though. We're going from playing a bottom 5 defense to a top 5 one (in my opinion of course) so I think he comes back down to earth.

Defensively, it really looks to me like Tramon has lost a step so I'm quite worried about AJ Green having a big day (I think these are the assignments Hayward will start to get once he's healthy). I'm sure we'll provide safety help when we can, but it's a bit of a cold comfort given how questionable our safeties can be. I can see them being late/out of position a few times leading to some nice plays for Green. I wouldn't be surprised if Green has a 10 catch 170 yrd kind of day. But my even bigger concern are the Bengals TEs. I really like our defense for the most part, except for the fact that I think we're soft in the middle. A lot of that falls on the safeties but I'm not a big fan of AJ Hawk either, particularly in pass coverage. I'm terrified of him having to cover Eifert and Gresham (and with his only real support being, say, McMillian). I can almost envision the exact scenario now: AJ Hawk running around widly, head jerking like a chicken as Eifert blows past him for an easy catch right up the seam and then a bad angle/outright miss tackle by McMillian letting Eifert rumble for another 30 yrds before he goes down. I get that Andy Dalton isn't an elite QB, but he's not a slouch either. I think he can make enough of the throws, particularly if the TE's get open consistently to come through.

I'm predicting a final score of Bengals 24-Packers 21. I hope I'm wrong of course, but I'm ultimately okay with a loss in this game (as much as you ever can be with a loss). I think the Bengals are going to win their division and are a Super Bowl contender if Dalton takes a step up (pulls a Flacco that is). I know starting the season 1-2 would be disconcerting, but losing two close road games to teams that have a good chance at making the Super Bowl isn't any reason to panic.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
We are so not giving Orson Charles enough credit. Eifert who? Sanu lived up in the Metro gardens, so I'm pretty familiar with him. Consider him JJ lite. Also, the Bengals have a streak of keeping QB's under 300 in the air. If he plays expect Hall on Cobb.

12theTruth

Greetings all. I'm a long time Packer fan recently transplanted to China for this season and I'm dying to discuss the team with other fans (the NFL, as it turns out, not so popular in China). This is my first post, so goes easy on me.

I think this is a bad matchup for us. The Bengals have a very talented defensive line that has a lot of depth to it. I've seen some posts talking about how it won't matter because the Bengals don't have pass rushers on the likes of Aldon Smith or Ryan Kerrigan/Brian Orakpo, etc and our offense managed to move the ball against those teams, but I can't as easily dismiss the Bengals. I think Geno Atkins is a pass rusher on that level, but more importantly, I think there's a big difference in that the Niners and Skins get most of their pressure on the edges, while what the Bengals really excel at it is inside pressure. Previously I would have thought that worked to our favor as our tackles are so unproven compared to the interior of our line, but I really think our guards and center have struggled this season, particularly Josh Sitton. I think the Sitton-Atkins matchup is the single most important one in the whole game. If the Bengals get good inside pressure it should disrupt the offense the entire day (and will put extra pressure on our tackles to engage the ends earlier than normal to provide Rodgers an edge and a possible chance to spin out of the pocket if he needs to). If we have time to throw, not to disparage the Bengals secondary, but Rodgers is Rodgers after all. I don't expect much from Starks and our running game though. We're going from playing a bottom 5 defense to a top 5 one (in my opinion of course) so I think he comes back down to earth.

Defensively, it really looks to me like Tramon has lost a step so I'm quite worried about AJ Green having a big day (I think these are the assignments Hayward will start to get once he's healthy). I'm sure we'll provide safety help when we can, but it's a bit of a cold comfort given how questionable our safeties can be. I can see them being late/out of position a few times leading to some nice plays for Green. I wouldn't be surprised if Green has a 10 catch 170 yrd kind of day. But my even bigger concern are the Bengals TEs. I really like our defense for the most part, except for the fact that I think we're soft in the middle. A lot of that falls on the safeties but I'm not a big fan of AJ Hawk either, particularly in pass coverage. I'm terrified of him having to cover Eifert and Gresham (and with his only real support being, say, McMillian). I can almost envision the exact scenario now: AJ Hawk running around widly, head jerking like a chicken as Eifert blows past him for an easy catch right up the seam and then a bad angle/outright miss tackle by McMillian letting Eifert rumble for another 30 yrds before he goes down. I get that Andy Dalton isn't an elite QB, but he's not a slouch either. I think he can make enough of the throws, particularly if the TE's get open consistently to come through.

I'm predicting a final score of Bengals 24-Packers 21. I hope I'm wrong of course, but I'm ultimately okay with a loss in this game (as much as you ever can be with a loss). I think the Bengals are going to win their division and are a Super Bowl contender if Dalton takes a step up (pulls a Flacco that is). I know starting the season 1-2 would be disconcerting, but losing two close road games to teams that have a good chance at making the Super Bowl isn't any reason to panic.

Yeh, I'm definitely worried about this game. Think I'm the only other person besides you to pick the Pack to fall (21-20). Which team will dictate tempo? Tramon Williams admitted that the Packers D let the 49ers dictate things in Week 1. While I am happy that the Packers won last week and we did see some great improvements from selected players (Starks and Daniels to name a few), I'm not drinking the kool-aid just yet as others have been after last weeks performance.

I'm not sold on the offensive line being able to hold their own with Barclay and Bak in there. Also, in a close game will our shaky return game become an issue as well? Regardless the outcome it should be a highly competitive contest and fun to watch.

LOL. Also we get the endearing Joe Buck and Aikman today. I'm hoping to see much more of these guys this season particularly on February 2, 2014. After all it was these two who also called the Packers Super Bowl victory 3 seasons ago. And then there's Super Bowl 31, also broadcast by Fox (their FIRST) and also won by the Packers! Talk about good synergy.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Usually I would agree 100 percent, but this season with the Burnett and Hayward injuries it kind of seems like a godsend at the moment.

Hmmm, yeah, this is true. Good point.

As for the game today, I think it's a given that AJ Green will get his catches and yards. He's easily in the top 5 of all receivers in the game today. Sadly, I also predict that Eifert will get quite a few catches across the middle, since it's blatantly obvious that we haven't fixed our problems there. But all things being equal, Aaron Rodgers is simply out of his mind right now - that should be good enough to get the win.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Welcome! This forum is great - the best Packers forum on the internet, at least in my opinion.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
More worried about this game then the Washington game..This defense may give us fits..

This might be (at this point) the best defense they cold face all year (Detroit's front is good too)

12theTruth

Neal, Jolly, and Daniels have really provided a boost on defense this year. Despite their presence the Packers have the 30th ranked pass defense! Capers needs to scheme to make Dalton as uncomfortable as possible. Hopefully are our pass rush can get to him and we can get some good hits on him. If we can slow their passing game it gives us a great chance at victory. If we give up 300+ yards again through the air you're looking at a good chance at the L.

Last edited by a moderator:

12theTruth

On Thursday Mike McCarthy said if Lacy doesn't practice Friday he will not play today. Well Lacy did not practice. So officially he is questionable but according to the Packers own words he will not play today. So that leaves us with only two RB/FB's on gameday roster. Scary!

Does Thompson activate Hill off the practice squad or do the Packers allow Lacy to suit up today and only use him as a last resort???

I think the Packers said they're comfortable going with two so that very well may be the result.

Members online

Latest posts