Week 2 - Time To Drop The Hammer On The Overrated Vikes

Phazael

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And oh yeah, in a clean game where McDoofus is not insisting on following his script we win this one. Realistically, the Vikes are going to be trying to break Rogers other kneecap and we will do a series of one yard dive runs and long developing routes to ensure they get him.

H

HardRightEdge

I'll pay him 10 million all day long if he helps allow the Packers offense to look the way that it did in the 2nd half of the Bears game, even with Rodgers on one good leg.
That would be 48 points per game. Or is it 0 points per game with Rodgers on two good legs and Graham taking every snnp? You're working off a faulty premise; the reality falls somewhere in the middle.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
That would be 48 points per game. Or is it 0 points per game with Rodgers on two good legs and Graham taking every snnp? You're working off a faulty premise; the reality falls somewhere in the middle.

Actually, if you just would "take the 4th quarter" that would be 84 points a game ;)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't expect that kind of 4th quarter production will happen very often, but its nice to know its possible with a QB like AR, for both the fans and especially the Packers themselves. I can't remember what the score of the Jets-Lions game was exactly, but I remember the Lions were down by something like 34-17 in the 3rd quarter and it looked like everyone had given up hope and the game was lost. All I could think about is "oh if the Lions had AR, they and their fans would know the game isn't over".

So I hope the Packers don't have to make up that kind of deficit again, but the silver lining to that Bears game, besides the win, they know its possible.

Starr To Dowler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't expect that kind of 4th quarter production will happen very often, but its nice to know its possible with a QB like AR, for both the fans and especially the Packers themselves. I can't remember what the score of the Jets-Lions game was exactly, but I remember the Lions were down by something like 34-17 in the 3rd quarter and it looked like everyone had given up hope and the game was lost. All I could think about is "oh if the Lions had AR, they and their fans would know the game isn't over".

So I hope the Packers don't have to make up that kind of deficit again, but the silver lining to that Bears game, besides the win, they know its possible.

I also think that's the sort of thing that can get into the heads of other teams and other coaches. It's a little unnerving to know that really no lead is ever safe with this guy. And, by the same token, it's a confidence builder for his own teammates - knowing that you're never out of the game, short of a total blowout.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I also think that's the sort of thing that can get into the heads of other teams and other coaches. It's a little unnerving to know that really no lead is ever safe with this guy.
Yup. Even the announcer of the Jets-Lions game had given up hope for the Lions in the 3rd quarter. But Al Michaels and Chris Collinsworth knew better to count AR and the Packers out and it showed with the way they talked about AR and the Packers starting to fire on all cylinders.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
:rolleyes:

You know I wasn't suggesting it would score on every possession. It really doesn't even deserve me taking the time to type out a lengthy response. The entire premise of my post was to highlight how lethal the offense could look with all of the weapons we have, which includes Graham.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers will play! I believe The Pack will stomp the life out of this Queen team! I would love it if we were up 30 points in the 4th and still throwingvit all over the place!

"Hello wound" - Salt

If the Pack is up by 30 in the 4th and AR is still in there...

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also think that's the sort of thing that can get into the heads of other teams and other coaches. It's a little unnerving to know that really no lead is ever safe with this guy. And, by the same token, it's a confidence builder for his own teammates - knowing that you're never out of the game, short of a total blowout.

I'd rather have coaches thinking a 20 point lead is safe so they take their foot off the gas. Of course I would obviously rather have no team with a 20 point lead or any lead for that matter, ever again but when it does happen I want the opposing team to feel it is safe.

If you look into Aaron Rodgers' comeback efforts you will see that typically many leads are safe with him. He is below average when it comes to bring the Packers back from a 4th quarter deficit for the win. Granted in some of those failures to get the win he did gain the lead but the defense let him down but if he is going top get all the credit for a comeback win he has to take the blame for the failures as well.

I think it is his ability and what he can do when he is really on his game, whether it is from the lead or behind, and the fact that some of his comebacks were done in such an amazing style that people remember them and assume he does it more than he really does.

For the record I have always thought him capable of what he did Sunday night.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It's time for the Packers to retake the North, and it starts this week.

Week 1 results always need to be well, well salted, but I wanted to look back at Minnesota's home win over the 49ers and see what we might be able to glean.

Defense:

Minnesota's D came out strong, forcing two punts and allowing only a field goal on the first three drives. From there on out, they got a little lucky.

Alfred Morris fumbled at Minnesota's 1 yard line, giving them 0 points off of a 70 yard drive.

They forced a punt on the 5th drive, and intercepted Garoppolo on the 6th. They flooded the strong side on a blitz and Garoppolo threw into it, as he should. However, his throw was a little errant and the receiver slipped trying to come back to it.

The 7th and 8th drives resulted in a field goal and a touchdown respectively.

The 9th drive resulted in another turnover-- this time Garoppolo just threw too high and Rhodes made a terrific play. The slant was open if the ball was just lower.

The 10th and 11th drives resulted in a FG and a punt respectively.

The 12th and final drive was another INT-- a horrible decision thrown into triple coverage (under pressure).

On the whole: The Vikings were helped by some unforced errors (Morris' fumble at the one and the 2nd INT) and helped to force more on their own (the 1st and 3rd INT). We all know they have a strong stop unit. However, at least in this game, the Niners moved the ball on them and were in position to score a lot more than 16 points. If Morris doesn't fumble on the one, you're talking about a 1 point final score. One of SF's field goals also came on Minnesota's 4. Chances are, Rodgers doesn't make the unforced errors, and Minnesota won't be at home. I like Aaron's odds, even against a unit this good, to score over 24 points. Finally, Garoppolo's leading receiver by a pretty big margin was TE, George Kittle.

Offense:

The first three drives for the Vikings' offense got increasingly better. They first punted, then kicked a FG, and then scored a touchdown. Their punt was from the SF 38, so that was actually a decent drive. It was short circuited by one of Deforest Buckner's 3 sacks on the day (more on that later).

Dalvin Cook fumbled the ball away on their 4th drive-- a persistent issue for him in college.

Their 5th drive ended around midfield as Buckner picked up another sack and the first half came to a close.

Their offense opened the second half, punted, and didn't see the ball for a while as Garoppolo got pick sixed and the 49ers came back out for another drive.

Their 7th drive was their second and final touchdown on the day, with the next two drives being three and outs. Their 10th drive was not a three and out, but also resulted in a punt. Their 11th and final drive was merely running out the clock.

On the whole: Only three of their ten real drives ended in points-- a total of 17. Cousins managed the game well, protected the football, and made some really good plays under pressure that aren't really evident in the stat sheet. Where I think they're vulnerable is on the offensive line. Their running backs managed a meager 2.2 YPC against the 49ers' front and a number of drives ended prematurely because their interior couldn't handle Buckner. I believe this weakness plays into Green Bay's strength. Their line, especially their interior, won't be able to handle Clark, Daniels, and Wilkerson-- especially on the road.

Conclusion: Rodgers & Co. are going to need to be on their game with the quick passing attack and hot routes, because the Vikings can apply pressure and they lived off of the errors that their pressure forced. However, their secondary can be attacked by the tight end, so I expect plenty of work for Graham in this game. SF also didn't really have the personnel to test them with passes to running backs, but Montgomery could be an important factor. On defense, I expect Pettine to get creative and attack the interior of their OL relentlessly. I would expect a lot of mug front, similar to what Zimmer himself likes to use, and a lot of confusion about who is and who isn't blitzing. If the young secondary can stick with Diggs and Thielen, I can see that game plan being a winner.

Prediction: 27-17, Packers

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Cliff notes for the TL;DR crowd:

-Rodgers needs to be ready to get the ball out quick.
-Graham and Montgomery could be keys to the passing game.
-SF cost themselves points with unforced errors.
-Their interior OL is vulnerable.
-Their shiny new offense couldn't run and only scored 17 points on ten tries.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Vikings' offense accounted for 4.8 yards per play last week. Compare this to 4.3 for the Bears and 5.4 league average in week one.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Minnesota Vikings will be without one starter along their offensive line on Sunday against the Green Bay Packers.
The Vikings listed center Pat Elfein as out for Week 2 with ankle and shoulder injuries.

Good for Daniels, Clark and Mo. We can pressure Cousins a bit more through the middle.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Isn't there a stickied thread on this already?

Agree. Without their starting C, they'll be even more vulnerable. Their O-Line was not really strong in Week 1 anyway and now weaker vs us.

I did not see one.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
It's week 2.

Sure, this game will be important to take the North, but a must win? It's week 2.
Whoever wins this game will be a least one game up on the other teams in the division. And, maybe 2 games up on a couple of teams. Yes, it's important.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
It's time for the Packers to retake the North, and it starts this week.

Week 1 results always need to be well, well salted, but I wanted to look back at Minnesota's home win over the 49ers and see what we might be able to glean.

Defense:

Minnesota's D came out strong, forcing two punts and allowing only a field goal on the first three drives. From there on out, they got a little lucky.

Alfred Morris fumbled at Minnesota's 1 yard line, giving them 0 points off of a 70 yard drive.

They forced a punt on the 5th drive, and intercepted Garoppolo on the 6th. They flooded the strong side on a blitz and Garoppolo threw into it, as he should. However, his throw was a little errant and the receiver slipped trying to come back to it.

The 7th and 8th drives resulted in a field goal and a touchdown respectively.

The 9th drive resulted in another turnover-- this time Garoppolo just threw too high and Rhodes made a terrific play. The slant was open if the ball was just lower.

The 10th and 11th drives resulted in a FG and a punt respectively.

The 12th and final drive was another INT-- a horrible decision thrown into triple coverage (under pressure).

On the whole: The Vikings were helped by some unforced errors (Morris' fumble at the one and the 2nd INT) and helped to force more on their own (the 1st and 3rd INT). We all know they have a strong stop unit. However, at least in this game, the Niners moved the ball on them and were in position to score a lot more than 16 points. If Morris doesn't fumble on the one, you're talking about a 1 point final score. One of SF's field goals also came on Minnesota's 4. Chances are, Rodgers doesn't make the unforced errors, and Minnesota won't be at home. I like Aaron's odds, even against a unit this good, to score over 24 points. Finally, Garoppolo's leading receiver by a pretty big margin was TE, George Kittle.

Offense:

The first three drives for the Vikings' offense got increasingly better. They first punted, then kicked a FG, and then scored a touchdown. Their punt was from the SF 38, so that was actually a decent drive. It was short circuited by one of Deforest Buckner's 3 sacks on the day (more on that later).

Dalvin Cook fumbled the ball away on their 4th drive-- a persistent issue for him in college.

Their 5th drive ended around midfield as Buckner picked up another sack and the first half came to a close.

Their offense opened the second half, punted, and didn't see the ball for a while as Garoppolo got pick sixed and the 49ers came back out for another drive.

Their 7th drive was their second and final touchdown on the day, with the next two drives being three and outs. Their 10th drive was not a three and out, but also resulted in a punt. Their 11th and final drive was merely running out the clock.

On the whole: Only three of their ten real drives ended in points-- a total of 17. Cousins managed the game well, protected the football, and made some really good plays under pressure that aren't really evident in the stat sheet. Where I think they're vulnerable is on the offensive line. Their running backs managed a meager 2.2 YPC against the 49ers' front and a number of drives ended prematurely because their interior couldn't handle Buckner. I believe this weakness plays into Green Bay's strength. Their line, especially their interior, won't be able to handle Clark, Daniels, and Wilkerson-- especially on the road.

Conclusion: Rodgers & Co. are going to need to be on their game with the quick passing attack and hot routes, because the Vikings can apply pressure and they lived off of the errors that their pressure forced. However, their secondary can be attacked by the tight end, so I expect plenty of work for Graham in this game. SF also didn't really have the personnel to test them with passes to running backs, but Montgomery could be an important factor. On defense, I expect Pettine to get creative and attack the interior of their OL relentlessly. I would expect a lot of mug front, similar to what Zimmer himself likes to use, and a lot of confusion about who is and who isn't blitzing. If the young secondary can stick with Diggs and Thielen, I can see that game plan being a winner.

Prediction: 27-17, Packers
As a point of correction. Morris didn't "just fumble" It was a "forced fumble" by Linval Joseph. As was Dalvin Cooks. His was "punched out" by the guy tackling him.

As to the O-line being weaker? Our starting center didn't play week one. So, the line didn't get weaker from last week, it just didn't get stronger.

Members online

Latest posts