Week 2 - Time To Drop The Hammer On The Overrated Vikes

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I've gotten nervous every time I've seen the Vikings on the schedule the past few years. And this was before Anthony Barr took Rodgers out last season.

Definitely no joke.
Richardson got flagged for landing on Top of Jimmy G. yesterday in the new "Rodgers rule" about landing on QB's. I understand the rule, I just don't see how it can be avoided every time someone hits the QB. It's going to change a lot of drives this year.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what about when you a favored to win a game and it takes your star QB getting hurt, going down by 20 points, horrible 4th quarter playcalling by the opposing offense and a total breakdown of communication in the last 3 minutes to send our slot receiver 75 yards down the field, are you overrated?

Cobb just straight up burned his man on that play, and while I have no idea how much the Pack were favored to win by, I can only guess that's because the Bears have been bad for so long nobody's going to favor them for anything until they show proof in the pudding like the Rams did last year. I think they will surprise people though.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cook was slow yesterday and did nothing. Murray was a little better but not much, and Cousins took some bad sacks out there. Thielen and Diggs I'll give you, but eliminate those options and Cousins has no third.

Sorry, but when you need a goal line fumble, a pick 6, 4 Martellus Bennetts, no McKinnon and a beatup OL on your opponent's team to win, yes you are overrated.

Agree and disagree with a couple this. Disagree with leaving out Vikings TE. Rudolph is also a big part of the Vikings passing game. So they have 3 solid guys right there. They lack a number 3 wr though so I agree there. They are actual thinner at wr than the Packers which says something. I also expect Cook to get better as he gets more comfortable and he already did solid work as a receiving back.

The 49ers really hurt themselves a lot but a good defense will force those things too. When you look at what the Packers did with Kizer, fumble away at least 3 and throw a pick 6 you get what the 49ers did. Rodgers doesnt normally do those things, so I think we can fair better than the Vikings. Our running backs while not great are better than the 49ers and our defense is arguably better than the 49ers too. They were almost identical statistically last year.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree and disagree with a couple this. Disagree with leaving out Vikings TE. Rudolph is also a big part of the Vikings passing game. So they have 3 solid guys right there. They lack a number 3 wr though so I agree there. They are actual thinner at wr than the Packers which says something. I also expect Cook to get better as he gets more comfortable and he already did solid work as a receiving back.

The 49ers really hurt themselves a lot but a good defense will force those things too. When you look at what the Packers did with Kizer, fumble away at least 3 and throw a pick 6 you get what the 49ers did. Rodgers doesnt normally do those things, so I think we can fair better than the Vikings. Our running backs while not great are better than the 49ers and our defense is arguably better than the 49ers too. They were almost identical statistically last year.

I just think Cousins is one fatly overpaid and overinflated QB who did nothing to convince me he is anything special. Absolutely nothing.

After the way Keenum played yesterday in Denver, I say the Vikes are going to be sorry they let him go.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I just think Cousins is one fatly overpaid and overinflated QB who did nothing to convince me he is anything special. Absolutely nothing.

After the way Keenum played yesterday in Denver, I say the Vikes are going to be sorry they let him go.
I certainly agree in the big picture about Cousins. He'll fold like a banquet chair when it matters most.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be surprised to see Rodgers in a brace. And my own personal opinion is they are a mental crutch at best and potentially harmful to other joints at worst.

If you're strong enough to play a brace isn't going to help and if the forces are strong enough to rupture it, a brace isn't going to stop it.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score

Wait, who's leading the league in interceptions after week one? That would be Keenum, tied with Garoppolo and Big Ben. Yeah, hey, Adrian Peterson had 96 yards rushing yesterday as well. Maybe they will miss him too.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wait, who's leading the league in interceptions after week one? That would be Keenum, tied with Garoppolo and Big Ben. Yeah, hey, Adrian Peterson had 96 yards rushing yesterday as well. Maybe they will miss him too.

He also threw for more TDs and pass yards than your dumb overpriced QB.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
As much as I can't stand the Vikings, anyone who doesn't view them as a good team is really not viewing things through clear glasses. Is Cousins as good as AR? No. But the Vikings proved last year with Keenum that they don't need a great QB to win and IMO Cousins is a decent upgrade over Keenum. The Packers are going to see a much better team in the Vikings than they saw last night with the Bears. If the first half Packers show up, this game will be too far out of reach for even a healthy #12 to catch up against that Viking defense.

The Vikings are beatable for sure, but its going to take something like the second half Packers on both offense and defense that we saw last night to probably do that.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I can't stand the Vikings, anyone who doesn't view them as a good team is really not viewing things through clear glasses. Is Cousins as good as AR? No. But the Vikings proved last year with Keenum that they don't need a great QB to win and IMO Cousins is a decent upgrade over Keenum. The Packers are going to see a much better team in the Vikings than they saw last night with the Bears. If the first half Packers show up, this game will be too far out of reach for even a healthy #12 to catch up against that Viking defense.

The Vikings are beatable for sure, but its going to take something like the second half Packers on both offense and defense that we saw last night to probably do that.

This. I still am not sure Cousins will be better than Keenum was last year for the Vikings because Keenum played out of his mind but Cousins is a better qb. My hope is that the Packers can exploit the Vikings oline which gave up 3 sacks and a fair amount of qb hits - actually similar to what the Packers oline gave up. Also Cousins wasnt incredible accurate completing 20 of 36. Another potentially good sign is the Vikings rbs really didnt run well. 27 carries for 82 yards. Cook had 16 carries for just 40 yards and 15 came on one run. on the other 15 he had just 25 yards. I think our interior line can hold them in check.

The Vikings defense on the other hand is a wrecking crew. They forced 4 turnovers and had 4 sacks and 9 qb hits. The 49ers were banged up heading in and the Vikings banged them up more so I expect the Packers offense to play much better. A silver lining the 49ers average a crazy 17.4 ypc. Garoppolo was inaccurate and made some bad decisions but when he did complete passes they picked up big chunks of yardage - passes of 36, 39, and 56 yards.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yesterday's numbers of 323 pass yards 3 TDs to about 240 and 2 TDs suggest otherwise.
Yes, why list Keenum's 3 int. ? and the fact that Cousins had 0? Or passer ratings (Keenum 84.2 and Cousins 95.1)? Brett Hundley had similar stats to Keenums last year against the Browns, with no interceptions, I suppose he is a great QB too?

I'm not going to debate the 2 QB's, you obviously think Keenum is superior and I disagree, I guess we will see.

But if you somehow think the Vikings are overrated, I think you are trying to fool yourself.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cousins is better than Keenum, Cousins may not have a better statistical season than Keenum had last year. None of it really matters because either QB is plenty good enough playing on a team with next to zero real pressure on the offense because of the defense. The Vikings will come or go on the strength of their defense like always recently. Doesn't mean they won't have some nice offensive stats or they don't have some nice offensive players. They do. They could lose half of them and they won't be any less dangerous than they are now. Pluck as Harrison and Joseph out of that defense however and they become pretty beatable. It's their strength.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cousins is better than Keenum, Cousins may not have a better statistical season than Keenum had last year. None of it really matters because either QB is plenty good enough playing on a team with next to zero real pressure on the offense because of the defense. The Vikings will come or go on the strength of their defense like always recently. Doesn't mean they won't have some nice offensive stats or they don't have some nice offensive players. They do. They could lose half of them and they won't be any less dangerous than they are now. Pluck as Harrison and Joseph out of that defense however and they become pretty beatable. It's their strength.

That is biggest question with the Vikings. Can they stay as healthy on defense this year as they were last year? Their starters missed so few games on defense

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is biggest question with the Vikings. Can they stay as healthy on defense this year as they were last year? Their starters missed so few games on defense
They've hardly had any miss in 4 years. It's crazy how few games their core players have missed in that time

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They've hardly had any miss in 4 years. It's crazy how few games their core players have missed in that time

Didn't Harrison Smith miss significant time at one point. I think Barr missed time too. I think one piece is the Vikings core is young so maybe less prone to injury. Another piece could be strength and conditioning. Another is lucj

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
They have had their share of injuries on the offensive side of the ball and probably this has been the saving grace for Packer fans. Again, I can't stand the Vikings, even when they weren't very good, but you have to be impressed with the defense that they have built mainly through the draft and if they get a few pieces working well on offense, they are going to be scary.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't Harrison Smith miss significant time at one point. I think Barr missed time too. I think one piece is the Vikings core is young so maybe less prone to injury. Another piece could be strength and conditioning. Another is lucj
They've had guys miss time, but as a group it's been insanely low compaaritively

And they have had a lot of offensive guys miss time but it's not their strength. Just like we played in the NFCCG with half a defense

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sometimes I think the fans on this board are drinking the kool-aid a little too much. You all need to slow your roll a bit. The Vikings are a team to reckon with. They are not overrated at all and arguably are better than last year. We will need to fire on all cylinders to win a closely contested battle.

Last edited:

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sometimes I think the fans on this board are drinking the kook-aid a little to much. You all need to slow your roll a bit. The Vikings are a team to reckon with. They are not overrated at all and arguably are better than last year. We will need to fire on all cylinders to win a closely contested battle.

Who is really debating that except the OP? I do think it is hyperbole to say we need to fire on all cylinders though. SF didnt fire on many cylinders and hung with them on the road.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Yesterday 3 normal starters didn't start. 2 on the Oline and one DB. M. Alexander didn't start, and Trae Waynes left the game half way through the first half. He was replaced by rookie Mike Hughes who had his first pick 6.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yesterday 3 normal starters didn't start. 2 on the Oline and one DB. M. Alexander didn't start, and Trae Waynes left the game half way through the first half. He was replaced by rookie Mike Hughes who had his first pick 6.
I don't care about your 2 olinemen. Or you 1 game sample size. Over the past 4 years the Vikings D has had amazing health. It's not even debatable

Members online

Latest posts