Week 17 - At Detroit, the Lions Finale No. 4 in a row- Let's Get That 1 Seed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our experience tells us never to take our division opponents lightly. In the 2008 season finale we faced an 0-15 Lions team. We won the game but did not play well. Imagine losing and being the team to end their streak. The Lions are looking more into 2020 right now. They may play 2 QBs in this game. I think the fact that we have not played a good game against them in a number of years and getting pummeled 3 times in a row before the 23-22 win gives us incentive enough. I am glad LaFleur has no memory of the past here.

This current Lions team is a bit like that 2008 one as they have zero wins since Stafford got sidelined. But that too is why we gotta watch out because:

1. Even losing teams get tired of losing after a while and go looking for that win

2. Getting one at season's end always feels like a positive, plus even though the Lions have already stated that MP is safe going into next year, his players also may feel like they need to give him a vote of confidence by winning.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This current Lions team is a bit like that 2008 one as they have zero wins since Stafford got sidelined. But that too is why we gotta watch out because:

1. Even losing teams get tired of losing after a while and go looking for that win

2. Getting one at season's end always feels like a positive, plus even though the Lions have already stated that MP is safe going into next year, his players also may feel like they need to give him a vote of confidence by winning.
The 1997 lost to an 0-10 Lindy Infante Colts team. Even though we went to the SB the loss cost us one more home game in the post season. Of course this time we have more to play for in the here and now because we can see that one or two seed in broad daylight.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our experience tells us never to take our division opponents lightly. In the 2008 season finale we faced an 0-15 Lions team. We won the game but did not play well. Imagine losing and being the team to end their streak. The Lions are looking more into 2020 right now. They may play 2 QBs in this game. I think the fact that we have not played a good game against them in a number of years and getting pummeled 3 times in a row before the 23-22 win gives us incentive enough. I am glad LaFleur has no memory of the past here.
We almost had an undefeated season (I don't know... 1962?) and the Lions beat us on Thanksgiving Day. Not that I really remember it but definitely took them lightly. A little trivia.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I was at that game. At no time did I feel like it was going to be a loss even though it was tied going into the 4th qtr. Mason missed a 69 yard field goal at the end of the first half (about 2 yards short.) 2 rushers and 2 receivers surpassed 100 yards. GB broke a 5 game losing streak to end the season. Of the last 7 losses, 6 were by 4 points or less -- 2 in OT.

Side note: if Dallas and Seattle win their divisions this weekend, our opponents next season will be identical to the 2008 season. Not positive on locations.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Id also like AR to finally "get hot" and carry it into the playoffs similar to what Eli did when they won their SB

We will need AR to get hot eventually and help the D out

I was listening to Wilde and Tauscher on ESPN Milwaukee yesterday and Tauscher said that maybe the fans need to get used to the idea that Rodgers is not going to do what he's done in the past. Maybe we need to accept that this season we have to depend more on the defense.

I tend to agree, but it's hard to change my way of thinking.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even Cold, Rodgers is better than Eli Manning. That guy is the most overrated thing to happen to QB's ever in the NFL. He's barely average on good days. I feel dirty even reading the comparison.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was at that game. At no time did I feel like it was going to be a loss even though it was tied going into the 4th qtr. Mason missed a 69 yard field goal at the end of the first half (about 2 yards short.) 2 rushers and 2 receivers surpassed 100 yards. GB broke a 5 game losing streak to end the season. Of the last 7 losses, 6 were by 4 points or less -- 2 in OT.

Side note: if Dallas and Seattle win their divisions this weekend, our opponents next season will be identical to the 2008 season. Not positive on locations.
I recall those close losses. It was devastating. There is a fine line between losing and winning some time. It comes down to making one or two plays. And that is coaching. This year we are winning close games. I give that credit to LaFleur. And many make the excuse that 2008 was Rodgers' first year as starter. But I believe it was a coaching weakness that accounted for that. One of MM's greatest frailties in his career was his decision making in the last 2 minutes of both the half and at the end of the game. This season LaFleur has been excellent in those scenarios. The exception of course were the Carolina and Philly games.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We almost had an undefeated season (I don't know... 1962?) and the Lions beat us on Thanksgiving Day. Not that I really remember it but definitely took them lightly. A little trivia.
Lombardi did not take the Lions lightly in 1962. Along with the Giants and the Packers they had the top defense in the league that year. And their front four had the best pass rush in the game with Roger Brown, Alex Karras, Darris McCord, and Sam Williams. The Lions were only 2 games behind us at the time for the conference lead. And we ONLY beat them 9-7 in Week 4 thanks to a Herb Adderley interception in the final 2 minutes to set up the winning FG. It was not until the final regular season game that the Lions were eliminated. The Lions lost to the Bears 3-0 so the Packers were able to rest players in the late afternoon game in LA. But the other near perfect season was 1966. We lost 21-20 to the 49ers because Chandler missed a short game winning FG and we lost 20-17 to the Vikings because Tarkenton ran our defensive line all over the place. 2011 could have been perfect. The 19-14 loss to a bad KC team was our only regular season loss. The 37-20 playoff loss at home to the Giants was inexcusable. MM was completely outcoached. And he did not have the team focused during the two weeks leading to the game. Looking ahead to the following week that never happened.

Reaction score
I was just thinking. Isn’t it fitting we finished last season with a humiliating defeat to the Lions at our house and using our backup QB due to injury?

Ah, how the tables have turned!

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, Karras. The Pack had just come off a tough game against the Baltimore Colts. They had pulled it out with a kickoff return TD. The team was banged up and pretty much exhausted from that one. The Lions had just played the Vikings who in the early 60's were an expansion team with a pretty stubborn and weak coach in Van Brocklin. So it was an easier contest. The Lions had this Thanksgiving game boldly marked on their calendars since that Week 4 defeat. And they were waiting like sharks in the water. The Packers as Kramer admitted were just worn out which is hard to believe from a Lombardi team. But had the game been played on Sunday I believe you would have seen a much more competitive contest and possibly a Packer victory. The two teams knew each other very well. Game planning was not so much a factor as execution was back then. And the Packers invented execution. At any rate the loss kept the Packers on their toes the rest of the way and they WERE ready for the Giants on Dec. 30, 1962.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Sundays game is HUGE. It actually could turn out to be like winning 2+ games and the actual "beating the Lions" being the least important aspect of it.

If they win, they don't have to play a game next week (second win). Also, if they win, they are assured the #2 and have a great shot at the #1 (Seahags beat 69'ers) seed and being home for every playoff game that they are in. That is the "+ part".

A month or so ago, Miami seemed like a pipe dream for a team that came off of 2 straight losing seasons, with a rookie coach and getting blown out in San Fran. However, get that #1 Seed and I think there is going to be a lot more talk about the Packers being the favorite to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just not convinced this team is going to play us hard. Stafford himself has come out and said he could've played through his injury, but said the Lions weren't worth it. What does that say about this team? I'm not saying they'll completely roll over, but I just can't see them playing hard the whole way. Besides, a win could possibly elevate them from the 3rd overall to the 5th overall pick. Which may not make a huge difference, but depending on how they view their chances of landing Chase Young, that may matter more to them than trying to stick it to the Packers.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I would be absolutely fine with the Lions laying down for the Packers, but I don't expect it, nor should the Packers. They may find themselves in a dog fight on the road, against a bunch of players that want to finish the season on a high note, while impressing management that they are worth retaining and/or a raise.

Packers need to go all in to win this game, because if they do win, they have 2 weeks to rest up, as well as play at home. Meanwhile, the 49'ers and the Seahawks are going to be battling on Sunday night, with the loser having to go on the road and play for their lives at Philly or Dallas next weekend.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't follow bottom dwellers such as the kitty cats. Is this list good or bad?

I would say not having A’Shawn Robinson playing is a good thing for the Packers. As far as the other 5 guys that are Questionable, who knows if they will play or not. All 5 appear to be starters for the Lions, so that would be good for the Packers as well.

Prater, their only kick, if he can't go, who kicks for them?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's an NFL opponent and as such should always be taken seriously. Just ask the Seahawks. This isn't like college football where one side can just athletically be a collasol overmatch for one side. As we saw against the Chargers, it only takes one bad day to look vastly overmatched by a normally inferior opponent in this league.

The Packers should consider this to be a playoff type game for all intents and purposes because a victory here would carry them to the divisional round just like a victory in the wild card round would. Fortunately I think they will take the Lions seriously.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully, the players will remember how close they came to losing the first meeting in Green Bay.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's an NFL opponent and as such should always be taken seriously. Just ask the Seahawks. This isn't like college football where one side can just athletically be a collasol overmatch for one side. As we saw against the Chargers, it only takes one bad day to look vastly overmatched by a normally inferior opponent in this league.

The Packers should consider this to be a playoff type game for all intents and purposes because a victory here would carry them to the divisional round just like a victory in the wild card round would. Fortunately I think they will take the Lions seriously.
I think of the Cowboys right now. After losing to us they found a way to lose to the Jets. And that loss has them in a hole right now.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully, the players will remember how close they came to losing the first meeting in Green Bay.

I'm sure they do, but in this crazy week to week league I don't think that one is going to play much of a role in either team's approach. Not to mention most of the Detroit players who were factors in that game are on IR now and won't be playing on Sunday.

I think what we just have to be careful of is coming off a high of beating a good team on the road in a heavily hyped game and then coming out here flat here. That is certainly a challenge.

On the other hand, I'd say the Detroit fans have gotten themselves a bit of a taste of the Green Bay injury medicine. To anyone who gloated about beating us when Rodgers and Jones were out over the last two years prior to this, well karma is a *****. Welcome to our world.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a feeling there will a lot of Packers fans there so hopefully it will feel more like a home game for us. :) I'm sure they would love to knock us out of a bye but it appears they are a MASH unit right now. We just have to go in there and take care of business.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
detroit secretly loves us so they want big brother to advance as 1 seed! bears on the other hand, they are in the corner....

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well, yes and no, a huge part of the equation is the attrition that injuries have taken on your team and how deep you are at your key positions. In that department, the Lions are definitely in way worse shape than the Packers. While I haven't seen Blough play too much, he's definitely not on the same level as Stafford, and I don't think he has a whole lot of weapons at his disposal.

Now don't get me wrong, we do gotta take this as seriously as we have every other game and not sleep walk into Ford Field. Hell I won't be surprised if we win a close game. But I do think there is a parity disparity between the teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.