Week 12 Showdown: Packers at 49ers - potential home field advantage implications.

757Niner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Looks like Kittle may be on his way to playing Sunday. HUGE boost for our offense if that is indeed the case.

Sanders seems to be moving better than he did last week, before the Cards game. I think he'll still be a gametime decision.

I think Deebo will play. He hurt the shoulder in the last game and came back in after sitting out one drive. I think they'll make that a gametime decision as well but I'd be surprised if he didn't play.

I definitely think Breida is out. Think they'll take the long view with him and bring him back healthy later on in the season

Same with Gould. Quads a very tricky with kickers. They're going to be extremely cautious with him. Even if that means they lose a few games by missed FGs...

Ford and Staley are weeks away from even being 'questionable' imo

WillyP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not feeling good about this one, we have the offense but the defense against a winning quarterback has not impressed me much at all this year

757Niner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m not a MD, but can’t an OL play with his finger wrapped/splint etc? am I missing something?

Yea, that one is still a mystery to us as well. Apparently he was going to play through it but doctors told him if he didn't have surgery immediately, he could lose use of the finger permanently if it was further damaged so idk if that has anything to do with it...its weird.

Reaction score
And then you can be happy patting yourself on the back while those of us that are Packer fans will be disappointed. I’d still rather be in the latter group thank you very much.

I didn't say I wasn't a Packer fan, I'm just stating the obvious.
If we win, I'll back here praising our team for pulling off the nearly impossible win.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not feeling good about this one, we have the offense but the defense against a winning quarterback has not impressed me much at all this year
I may be wrong, but it looks like we are 4-0 vs winning QBs so far. Cousins, Prescott, Carr and Allen.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we win, I'll back here praising our team for pulling off the nearly impossible win.
I am confused as to how this loss is obvious? Jimmy G the gunslinger, while good, has 4th most int’s and GB is 7th in int’s for D. The 9ers are good but have flaws. So what is it that makes our losing so obvious?

Reaction score
But will you have the same audacity, energy and enthusiasm about making sure everyone knows in the event you are wrong? Now that kind of integrity would impress me ;)

If the Packers win, I'll be the first to come here and say "I didn't believe"

If we lose, well, I'll say to all fans next time go with the stats, talent on both teams, predictions, and
home field advantage along with the obvious.

Let's all hope the Packers come out without serious injury's win or loose
going into the last part of the season.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That might be the case, but not when Moore is the QB. Had Mahomes played the night we played the Chiefs, Kelce's numbers would have been much higher and the Packers might not have won that game.

My main point was the fact that TE's have killed the Packers all season and Kittle is a top 5 TE. As a Packer fan, I will breath a sigh of relief if he can't suit up on Sunday night.

Yes, our defensive Achilles' heel is covering TEs. It has been for a while, unfortunately. The Smith "brothers" better bring it Sunday night and get pressure on their QB..

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why let it scare you, just say their going to loose to the 49'ers.

I wrote that GB was going to loose early in this post and I was called a troll.

Just putting in writing my gut feeling about this game.

Let's talk after Sunday evening so I can say: "I told you so."

Is he scared or just concerned? I have no clue what will happen Sunday night. It is hard to win on the road and the atmosphere will be electric for sure. If our defense wasn't so porous I wouldn't be as nervous about this one as I am. :oops:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have a good feeling about this one but we definitely have to execute. Keep one step ahead.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yes, our defensive Achilles' heel is covering TEs. It has been for a while, unfortunately. The Smith "brothers" better bring it Sunday night and get pressure on their QB..

It will be close to impossible for the pass rush to put pressure on Garropolo if Kittle can't be covered consistently.

If our defense wasn't so porous I wouldn't be as nervous about this one as I am. :oops:

The Packers defense hasn't been elite but it has been far from porous as well.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Nearly impossible? The Packers have the 2nd best record in the NFC, are one game behind the 49ers, and have played by far the more difficult schedule. Your definition of "nearly impossible" is rather comical.

Stanley

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nearly impossible? The Packers have the 2nd best record in the NFC, are one game behind the 49ers, and have played by far the more difficult schedule. Your definition of "nearly impossible" is rather comical.

Not impossible, but if Kittle and Sanders are both playing, it's the most probable result.

Stanley

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quite positive we get the W. While the 9ers might be good, we’re the better team. Win the turnover battle and then we’ll win the game.

If Kyle has his offensive pieces, Im not sure how you can say the Packers have the better team. The Packers definitely don't have the better scheme or locker room. The 49er line should also be back to dominant after having to chase Murray and Wilson for the last 3 games.

What I can see happening is Rodgers being unstoppable in the 4th quarter - but unless the 49ers decide to drop 9 wide open passes for 100 yards, and a rookie kicker misses another game winning FG, I dont see them losing this game at home.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know how anyone would think anything other than either team has a very good chance to win this game. They do.

one team doesn't show up and it could be a blow out, either way. Both teams play well, there's a good chance either wins with it coming down a couple plays here or there.

Marvin49

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey all!!

Niner fan here. No worries. Not here to talk crap or anything. Just perusing the forum and thought I'd say a few things.

I agree with 757Niner for the most part.

1) I read earlier in the thread that the 49ers blitz like crazy. They don't. They will throw in blitzes here and there from the likes of Warner or Williams, but for the most part they just rush 4 and drop 7. Bosa has been incredible. Just my opinion, but I think he's better than his brother. He's different tho. Joey is more wiry and Nick is built like a tank. That front 4 has demolished teams this year, and Dee Ford hasn't even played that much. He's had a knee all season and has been relegated to more of a 3rd down guy. Who has shocked has been Arik Armstead who might just be playing himself out of SF (he is a FA after the season). It isn't Bosa, Buckner, or Ford who lead this team in sacks. Its Arik Armstead with 8. They have 39 as a team.

2) You can probably throw the last three games out the window defensively from a statistical perspective. If the 49ers D has an Achilles heal (or 2), its that they have trouble with mobile QBs and they give up chunk yards in the run game.

a) Mobile QBs: I've seen the conversation above and I agree with 757Niner....by mobile, I don't mean a guy who is mobile in the pocket. I don't mean a QB who can run pretty fast and gains rush yards when he needs them. I mean guys who run 4.4, 4.5 40s and could probably play another position. They had trouble TWICE now with Kyler Murray because of his mobility. You look at his stat sheet and it will tell you he's the only QB to play SF that has a QB rating over 100 (and that includes Wilson). It based on throwing 3 TDs in this last game and playing well in the first meeting, but he only threw for 150 yards last week. In fact, SF is allowing a league low 142.5 yards passing per game. That's like a historic low. Now you can make the argument that they haven't played and all world QBs and that's fair, but Wilson didn't exactly light them up. I have a TON of respect for Rodgers and being from the Bay Area I was a huge fan of his at Cal. When the Niners took Alex Smith, more than a few 4 letter words were uttered. I say that because I don't want this to come off as disrespect or that I somehow think Kyler Murray is better than Rodgers (he's not and its not in the vicinity of close), but Murray has the element to his game that gives SF trouble and Rodgers simply doesn't. That doesn't mean he won't light SF up from the Pocket as he's capable of doing, but it isn't something we've seen yet this year. Niners play Ravens next week...really not looking forward ot that...lol.

b) Chunk Yards in the Run Game: THIS is where GB might be able to hurt SF. The 49ers moved to a Wide 9 Alignment this year with the hiring of Kris Kocurek as their D-Line coach. This has made their pass rush possibly the fiercest in the NFL, but it has left them vulnerable at times to explosive plays in the run game. This didn't just happen recently. Its been an issue all year. Now in many cases the 49ers were up big and the 49ers had their ears pinned back to go after the pass, but its happened far too often to make that excuse. Its been an issue. GB Excels in this regard so this is something to watch. Packers might be able to do serious damage here, specifically with rookie Dre Greenlaw in now for the lost for the year Kwon Alexander.

3) Jimmy G: Jimmy is a polarizing figure both inside out outside of the Niner fanbase. People forget that Sam Darnold and Baker Mayfield actually have more career starts than this guy. There are times he looks absolutely brilliant and there are times you just put your head in your hands and ask why. The reality is that he's still learning. Yes, he has the advantage of sitting and learning behind a HOF QB just like Rodgers did (tho in Rodgers case, I think he's better than Favre), but nothing prepares you like game action. In fact, Jimmy stat line through his first 16 starts aren't all that dissimilar to Rodgers once he got his shot. Now before anyone goes crazy that I am suggesting Garoppolo will be like Rodgers, I'm not. I'm not going there. My point is only that even though a guy sat and watched, there is still a learning curve once you become a starter...particularly in a Shanahan offense. In Matt Ryans first year with Shanahan, he had an 89 QB rating. In his second season with Shanahan, he had a 117 rating, won league MVP, and played in the Super Bowl. I can almost guarantee Garoppolo will throw an INT. I can all but guarantee he'll make some GREAT throws and he will have at least one "WTF was that" throw. The guy has one of the quickest releases you will ever see (tho Rodgers has one himself) so he makes some great plays under pressure. Where he struggles badly though is the deep ball. Its just not his game. Its not an arm strength issue, its an accuracy one. Its just never been his strength.

4) Kittle: It simply can't be overstated how important he is. He's the best player on the field on offense. He has a huge impact in both the passing game and run game. If he is healthy enough to be effective, this will be a much better team than they have been the last three weeks (he played, but was clearly limited vs Cards 3 weeks ago).

Anyway guys, looking forward to the game. Win or lose, just hoping everyone stays healthy. :D

WillyP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but it looks like we are 4-0 vs winning QBs so far. Cousins, Prescott, Carr and Allen.

I dont consider those QB's top notch, maybe Prescott of the bunch and even he is questionable at times, besides this 28th rank defense is still giving up 385 ypg, not very promising unless the offense is putting up points and last trip to California proved futile

Reaction score
I dont consider those QB's top notch, maybe Prescott of the bunch and even he is questionable at times, besides this 28th rank defense is still giving up 385 ypg, not very promising unless the offense is putting up points and last trip to California proved futile
While you are likely correct. You have to adjust games some for strength of schedule.
While SOV/SOS is not really a reliable factor IMO until about 1/2 dozen or so games in, it’s a verifiably important stat particularly as the season progresses into the latter part. (See 2010 season as an example). A 6th seed just rolled through the playoffs (on the road I might ad) on our way to a SB title. Totally unheard of at the time.
It’s also why some D1 college football teams with perfect records won’t (and shouldn’t) break the top 10. It’s about the level of competition.

On paper, SF at home and Without SOV consideration? SF should win like 33-17 or thereabouts. Considering SOV, This game will likely be decided late 4th quarter.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
A few thoughts for Sunday Nights game. :coffee:

• "This game is far from a slam dunk."
  • "It's gut-check time."
  • "Keep your eye on the ball."
  • "The Packers can't pull any punches."
  • "They need to step up to the plate."
  • "49'ers talk a good game."
  • "The Pack need to answer the bell."
  • "Take one for the team if need be."
  • "Offense sells tickets, defense wins championships"
  • "The best defense is a good offense."
  • "The best offense is a good defense."
  • "They have to have a great game for their team to win."
  • "They have to get on the same page."
  • "The media are blowing this out of proportion."
  • "That will come back to haunt them."
  • "It doesn't get any better than this."
  • "On any given Sunday . . ."
  • "Play one game at a time"
  • "There is no 'I' in 'team'"
  • "There ain't no 'U' either'"

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
49ers ruled out DE Dee Ford and OT Joe Staley for Sunday night’s game vs. Green Bay.

RB Matt Breida and K Robbie Gould are doubtful.

TE George Kittle, WR Deebo Samuel and WR Emmanuel Sanders are questionable.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Neither the person I quoted or myself said anything about top notch. He said winning QBs and we are 4-0 vs winning QBs.