Week 12 Showdown: Packers at 49ers - potential home field advantage implications.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
In terms of games yet to be played this one has the most playoff implications followed by the Vikings game. So I don't think a "sure would like to" attitude would cut it.
There's no such thing as a must win game when you have 2 losses through 10 games in a season. It doesn't matter what my attitude about it is anyway, because the team is going to treat it like a big time football game. But it is, by no stretch of the imagination, a must win game.

Last year against Arizona was a must win.

D

Deleted member 6794

Interesting, well Tevin Coleman is still enough of a force to be ready for

The Niners will definitely present a legit opponent even without Kittle and Breida. The Packers defense is more than capable of keeping the team in the game though.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a must win game.

As Packattack12 said, this is not a "must win" game on the season.

If you want to make the case it's a must-win game in terms of our getting 1 seed plus HFA for the playoffs, then sure. But in terms of making the playoffs, Packers have just about all but punched their ticket for that regardless of what happens in this one.

D

Deleted member 6794

As Packattack12 said, this is not a "must win" game on the season.

If you want to make the case it's a must-win game in terms of our getting 1 seed plus HFA for the playoffs, then sure. But in terms of making the playoffs, Packers have just about all but punched their ticket for that regardless of what happens in this one.

If the Packers lose vs. the Niners they could still end up with the #1 seed. It would be significantly tougher to achieve that though.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers lose vs. the Niners they could still end up with the #1 seed. It would be significantly tougher to achieve that though.

I mean they "could" still catch the 49ers if they lose but theyd effectively have to be 3 games better then them the final 5 games to both catch and pass them.... Its fair to say if the Packers want to get the 1 seed this is pretty much a must win

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think I like the Pack in this game. Winning last week and going into the bye with a solid TEAM win. Now clean some things up. Work on some schemes to give them some new looks, get healthy for the last stretch of the season.

SF should run away with a victory this week against Arizona, but maybe their first loss will take some wind out of their sails and come back down to Earth a little. Their bye was a long time ago now, so their nagging injuries are going to start to add up which they seem to have a lot of.

The only thing that scares me a little and maybe I'll get push back and someone will ease my mind a bit. This offense, as we saw with Adams being hurt for 4 games, turned out to be really dynamic. Rodgers got everyone involved. When he was out, no one got 10 targets a game and ball was spread around and aside from the Philly game...he had some of the best performances without him on the field. I KNOW, we had a whole thread about not even having a #2 WR and I am not in any way saying the Packers are better WITHOUT Adams. But does the extra feeding to Adams have a possible negative impact on the offense do you think?

Obviously I trust Adams to make a play over Rodgers tossing a few prayers and Lazard answering said prayer. Just a thought, don't shoot.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers have dominated the 9’rs in San Fran for as long as I can remember. One exception was “The Catch II” playoff game. Past performance doesn’t guarantee future success, but this Packer team has the talent (and health) to continue the trend.

I still say Jerry Rice fumbled!

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
As I told the kids I coached: It doesn't really matter what you did, it is what the officials believe they saw at the time.
I officiated a few peewee games and I know I missed calls because I did not directly see what happened, only the aftermath.

Reaction score
SF should run away with a victory this week against Arizona, but maybe their first loss will take some wind out of their sails and come back down to Earth a little.
Conceivably Should yes.
Keep in mind though this isn’t a gimme. Arizona played very well against the 49ers just a few weeks ago. They matchup relatively well and you have 6 Niners who have not practiced this week as of today report. They include positions (#depth chart)
RB Matt Breida (#1) RB Tevin Coleman (#2)
K Robbie Gould (#1)
DL D.J.Jones (#1)
WR Emmanuel Sanders (#1),
LT Joe Staley (#1)
Imagine GB possibly missing a majority of those positions, we’d be in serious trouble.
This could be a big factor in the individual matchups depending on who is activated this week verses who is sat. It certainly gives Arizona a slight edge over their previous meeting.

Last edited:
I

I asked LT to delete my acct

As I told the kids I coached: It doesn't really matter what you did, it is what the officials believe they saw at the time.
I officiated a few peewee games and I know I missed calls because I did not directly see what happened, only the aftermath.

So basically "Just win baby ?"

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There’s no doubt that Rice fumbled. If they had replay that year, Packers win the game and move on towards another possible Super Bowl appearance.

While true now, the early years of replay would not have reversed that decision. If a play was ruled down by contact, it was not able to be changed to a fumble on replay. It wasn't until I think around 2007 that they changed this and added the "clear recovery" verbiage.

It was a shame though, it was an egregiously bad call, Rice wasn't even close to being down and the official was staring right at it.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If only the Packers hadn't called a timeout with 2:10 remaining on their go ahead drive when they were already at the SF 10 yard line, maybe SF wouldn't have had any time left for the Owens play. If only Leroy Butler hadn't missed a tackle on the SF fullback on 3rd down earlier in the drive, maybe that fumble doesn't matter. If only the Packers didn't have their secondary line up deep in the end zone for some reason on the final play, maybe Owens doesn't make the catch.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This game to me will be like a play off game with rights to go play in the Super Bowl.
Bet the 49's and they have a big chance to win it all.

But hold on, there's more, we have no chance betting the 49's on November 24th.
Sorry!

I disagree on them having a big chance to win it all. They've had a pretty soft schedule so far. Their best wins are against a couple of 5-4 teams. No team has a better strength of victory than the Packers. Our guys learned a lesson about being prepared 2 weeks ago against the Chargers. They won't make that mistake again. They'll show up ready to play with their A game and our A game beats theirs. Packers 30 Whiners 24

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot depends on whether they lose or win this week. If they win this week and beat us, they essentially have a 3 game lead on us for HFA.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree on them having a big chance to win it all. They've had a pretty soft schedule so far. Their best wins are against a couple of 5-4 teams. No team has a better strength of victory than the Packers. Our guys learned a lesson about being prepared 2 weeks ago against the Chargers. They won't make that mistake again. They'll show up ready to play with their A game and our A game beats theirs. Packers 30 Whiners 24

Plus it's a completely wrong theory on top of that to assume the game will be an NFCCG preview or that top seeds are automatic guarantees for the Superbowl. Now granted since the 2013 season all Superbowl teams both winner and loser have been top seeded teams at either number 1 or 2, but in this year in this day of unexpected results football teams like a 2005 Steelers, 2007 Giants, 2010 Packers or 2012 Ravens can certainly upset the balance of power.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kittle and Breida are both hurt and might not be available for the Niners next week.

FWIW the Niners are second in the league in opponents first down percentage on third down behind the Patriots. There's no doubt their defense has performed at an excellent level this season. With that being said the Packers definitely have a chance to win that game next week though.

I would imagine with the high profile nature of this game, both Kittle and Breida will make themselves available at least for "active" purposes. Sanders will also work hard to return. The 49ers strengths vs Packer weakness and Packers' strengths against the 49ers weaknesses has the makings of a classic. Both teams have divisional opponents nipping at their heels, and cannot afford to take losses. Can't wait.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Niners are a beatable team. We have a good shot in this one.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Beatable yes, but our offense really needs to stop making things more difficult on themselves the way they do sometimes.

Considering all the flack the defense takes, bend but don't break can give us a shot. But it's still on the offense to make opponents pay when they only kick FGs.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts