Week 1 : Jacksonville Jaguars

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice! I lay down a lot of gold and green when I start laying the people, almost to the point of where I start to think Im putting to much! But when I look at photos it all there is, I just had to mix it up some.

With the number of people I'll be painting I'm going to do some fun things. Vince will be "hiding" on each of the four walls. I will have several hidden things I'll drop in and not let anyone know until it's done, so they have something fun to search for. I'll post more on another proper thread as I need info on the ring of honor and other things.
Where's Waldo?

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like the Packers will face two opponents: The Jags and the extreme heat. I don't think the Packers have played in such extreme heat since the 2003 meltdown vs the Cardinals in the desert. Expect to see players leave the game from cramping and dehydration. You can drink all the water you want but playing in 93 degrees in the hot Florida sun will be brutal and cost the Packers some injuries.
It's easy for us fans to sit in the AC and just expect typical football. Thats doubtful. The best conditioned team will win this ordeal !!

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like the Packers will face two opponents: The Jags and the extreme heat. I don't think the Packers have played in such extreme heat since the 2003 meltdown vs the Cardinals in the desert. Expect to see players leave the game from cramping and dehydration. You can drink all the water you want but playing in 93 degrees in the hot Florida sun will be brutal and cost the Packers some injuries.
It's easy for us fans to sit in the AC and just expect typical football. Thats doubtful. The best conditioned team will win this ordeal !!
I can't even imagine sitting in that stadium for 3+ hours in that heat and humidity, let alone perform a physically demanding exercise like these players will be doing.
People die from over exertion in those conditions.
I hope all goes well for all involved.
Go Pack Go!

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't even imagine sitting in that stadium for 3+ hours in that heat and humidity, let alone perform a physically demanding exercise like these players will be doing.
Go Pack Go!
Agree conditions are going to nothing that we fans or the Packers have ever experienced. It will be brutal. Like I said this game will have less to do with talent and more to do with conditioning.

Reaction score
Yes, the humidity will be our biggest hurdle.. Advantage obviously goes to the Jags there. Having a healthy GB squad will be too much for the Jags to handle overall though GB 27 Jags 17

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Jaguars offense is pretty good, (better be as I have both Bortles and Yeldon on my fantasy team), but the good news is our defense matches up well with them. Where our defense is weak, either untill Pennel comes back or Clark produces, is up the middle but thats not something the Jaguars excell at either on offense. The "x" factor on that side if the ball will be Martinez against Yeldon out of the backfield.

The Jaguars have alot of talent on D. But arguably their 3 most talented guys will all be rookies, or at least effectively rookies, and all of them are comming off of injuries in Jack, Flowers JR and Ramsey. It's good to get them early before they start to get there feet under them.

They'll put up some points but assuming ARod and the offense return to form they don't have the experience on defense to slow us down yet. 34-24 Packers
I agree that alot teeters on how well Martinez reads and stops the run. Yeldon will have a big day for your fantasy league. I see us struggling against the run period vs Jacksonville but Yeldon will have a big day. Bortles on the other hand I see us rattling. Maybe 2 picks? I see us sacking him multiple times and forcing him to make bad decisions, as he's done in the past, the only Jaguar I have in my fanduel lineup is Rashad Greene, that way I could afford both Antonio Brown and OBJ. LET'S GO PACK!!!!

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers will face several better rushing attacks than the Jaguars this year. While it's possible the defense improves over the course of the season, especially once Pennel returns, it would be concerning struggling against Jacksonville.
So your confident Blake can hold his own against big powerful backs in Ivory and Yeldon even after he struggled all preseason? It may surprise you but it might take a few weeks for our ILBs to get in sync. Still think we win but also think we give up big plays vs run.

D

Deleted member 6794

Greetings all, Jag Fan here.

Had some info for you guys. Here in town we're looking forward to the game. We've been bottom dwellers for a while and feel we finally have an explosive offense again (since the turn of the century). But we also know who's coming to town.

Our first two pre-season games the #1 offense was unstoppable. 5 drives, 3 TD's, 1 FG (after Julius Thomas dropped an easy, short TD pass) - JagFan was going to the Super Bowl. Then week 3 against Cincy the wheels came off, JagFan was going 0-16. So we'll see which team shows up. We had an unusually high number of penalties in all three games, which was concerning even in pre-season, but Gus has been at the bottom of that list during the his 3 seasons here so we hope it was a blip.

Here's what I think you'll see…

Offence:
Blake Bortles - we love him. He's a baller - reminds me of Arron and Big Ben. Loves to throw the deep ball (even if it is a bit wobbly) and has the targets. He's got great pocket presence, steps up like a man (that's where our Gabbert experiment fell apart). And he's just as dangerous on the run. His 4,400 yards and 38 TDs last year we record setting for us. As were his 18 INTs. He got flak for them being "garbage" TD's, but he still made the throws. If he can get the INTs down he is dangerous (none thrown in pre-season).

2 - 1000 yard receivers last year

Allen Robinson (AR15) is a beast. He's the real deal. His specialty seems to be the 50/50 jump ball which around here we call it the 80/20 - because that ball is his and he's going to take it. He's big and physical and will be a good test for whomever the Pack puts on him.

Allen Hurns - is also very good. Blake hit ARob 150+ times last season and Hurns 105. Hurns average yard per catch was 16.1 with 10 TDs and AR15s YPC was 17.5 with 14 TD's. So if you guys shut down AR15 then keep an eye on Hurns.

Marquis Lee was selected before Arob but has been a hamstring magnet for the first 2 seasons. This was the first pre-season he's made it through without issue. We have high hopes as he can easily be yet another major pass threat.

Behind them we have Rashad Green and Brian Walters. Both solid, so WRs we got.

TE Julius Thomas - added last year he broke a finger on the first play of the first preseason game (yes, we are snake bit), but all has been good since. They showed nothing of him in the preseason and it was by design. He will be a big part of the plan this year - watch out for him (as we are - paid him big bucks).

At running back we added Chris Ivory to work with TJ Yeldon. They were both very good in pre-season. I think Ivory led the AFC in rushing last year at Buffalo. Yeldon is good but we didn't run the ball as often as we'd like last year (740 yds). They both average over 4 per carry and our hope his we have another Fred Taylor/MJD combo. We will see.

Our O-line was bad last year. Our #2 overall LT draft Luke Jokel was moved to Guard this year with Kevin Betchum coming back from an ACL out of PIT getting the LT start. He's only played in the 3rd pre-season game so we haven't seen that knee go a whole game. Jokel is also getting his first start at the guard position, so we have concerns. Blake was sacked an insane amount over the last two years. Center Brandon Linder is our best OL, but just moved to Center this season. The right side has been solid, so everyone here has eyes on the O-line.

Defence:

If we had just a slightly better defense we would have won 4+ more games last year. They were bad, especially on 3rd down, we can stop the run pretty good with D-line and Paul Pozlusky our MLB, but had no answer for a passing attack. We couldn't get anyone off the field, and had no pass rush. Our #1 draft selection Donte Fowler Jr. litereally torn his ACL one his first play in training camp and was gone for the year. But! We got busy in the draft and free agency this year. Jalen Ramsey and Miles Jack were the well know draft selections this year, and with Donte coming in it's like we have 3 first round guys taking the field now. Malik Jackson, Prince Amukamora and Tashaun Gipson we're added from FA (House from you guys last year). So on paper we look to be much better, but we haven't seen anything yet. They need to gel so it's better to play them now (like you are) vs/ later in the season if you ask me. But still, we can only go up from where we were! Keep an eye out for our pass-rush, it's been our main focus.

Special Teams:

We were horrible in coverage this pre-season. Where we've been average, we hope it's just pre-season, but we'll see. Our Kicker Jason Myers is ready to be ran out of town. He missed a bunch of extra points last year... (still hurts), he can kick it 60 yards, but accuracy is the issue. We hope we don't have to count on him to win the game. If it come down to that and you're watching on the TV, know that we are all terrified.

Who you should look out for is Corey Grant returning kicks. This guys is nothing but speed, he's got funny speed. Many we're curious if we would have a spot for him, but in preseason he showed it again and when you see it, you just can't cut it from the team.

All that being said, our guess is that we are going to try and keep Arron off the field with our two-headed running attack, we don't want to get in a shoot-out with Arron although we feel Blake can do it. If we get behind look out for the deep ball. How you pass rush will work against our suspect O-line will be another hand wringer over here. We're young across the board and have been in a complete rebuild since the new owner/coach/GM took over 3 years go. We only have 2 guys left on the team from before their tenure. But we are tired of the process and ready for some wins.

As for the weather. I am born and raised in North Florida, and I'm here to tell you, it is a miserable hot. Forecast is for 95• with a feels like 105• and it's no joke. The game is sold out but you will see a lot of empty seats I bet, but those people are in the AC. We've got a huge Bud Zone in one endgame and it's basically a huge open field bar, same thing with the redesigned club seat this year, they built two large windowed decks on both sides so everyone who sits in the posh AC club area with all the games running on big screens can see the field now, but basically it's freaking hot and we know it. How it effects the game is to be seen, but man, it's hot!

I won't guess a score, I hope we win, we seem to play GB well for whatever reason and I'm glad it's here. If we can run the game and the get the heat on your D in the 4th quarter I think we win. If you harass BB all day and stop the run we lose. GL and no injuries!

NOW - Another cool thing. I am painting a mural here in Jacksonville for the Biggest Green Bay Packers Fan of all time! He has a 70' long, 30' wide. 30' tall garage for his (as large as legally possible) Horse trailer/RV. And he wanted the whole inside painted as Lambeau Field! It is a huge job that will end up taking me about 4 years. But I think you guys will get a kick out of it. I track the progress at lambeausouthproject dot com. Go check out some of my videos. I may bring this up on a separate thread in this forum as I am looking for some detail info about the stadium that I can't seem to find in pictures. Also I'll end up painting about 20,000 separate fans and have opened it up for anyone to send me picks and I will put them in the stadium. Brian (the guy_ wants to be in the Fan Hall of Fame - After you see this I don't know how that won't happen.

Whew!! Thanks for good luck Sunday (to us).

Good post and nice job on the garage.

Jacksonville is a talented team I expect to be much improved from last season. Fortunately for the Packers it will take the Jaguars some time to play up to their potential because of some chemistry issues and they don't match up well with Green Bay as RRyder pointed out already.

So your confident Blake can hold his own against big powerful backs in Ivory and Yeldon even after he struggled all preseason? It may surprise you but it might take a few weeks for our ILBs to get in sync. Still think we win but also think we give up big plays vs run.

I'm optimistic the Packers will be able to stop the Jaguars rushing attack mostly because I expect our defensive line and inside linebackers to be able to close inside running lanes.

It will take our inside linebackers some time to develop but considering the dreadful performance at the position over the last few seasons I don't anticipate Ryan and Martinez to be an inprovement even early in the season.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greetings all, Jag Fan here.

Had some info for you guys. Here in town we're looking forward to the game. We've been bottom dwellers for a while and feel we finally have an explosive offense again (since the turn of the century). But we also know who's coming to town.

Our first two pre-season games the #1 offense was unstoppable. 5 drives, 3 TD's, 1 FG (after Julius Thomas dropped an easy, short TD pass) - JagFan was going to the Super Bowl. Then week 3 against Cincy the wheels came off, JagFan was going 0-16. So we'll see which team shows up. We had an unusually high number of penalties in all three games, which was concerning even in pre-season, but Gus has been at the bottom of that list during the his 3 seasons here so we hope it was a blip.

Here's what I think you'll see…

Offence:
Blake Bortles - we love him. He's a baller - reminds me of Arron and Big Ben. Loves to throw the deep ball (even if it is a bit wobbly) and has the targets. He's got great pocket presence, steps up like a man (that's where our Gabbert experiment fell apart). And he's just as dangerous on the run. His 4,400 yards and 38 TDs last year we record setting for us. As were his 18 INTs. He got flak for them being "garbage" TD's, but he still made the throws. If he can get the INTs down he is dangerous (none thrown in pre-season).

2 - 1000 yard receivers last year

Allen Robinson (AR15) is a beast. He's the real deal. His specialty seems to be the 50/50 jump ball which around here we call it the 80/20 - because that ball is his and he's going to take it. He's big and physical and will be a good test for whomever the Pack puts on him.

Allen Hurns - is also very good. Blake hit ARob 150+ times last season and Hurns 105. Hurns average yard per catch was 16.1 with 10 TDs and AR15s YPC was 17.5 with 14 TD's. So if you guys shut down AR15 then keep an eye on Hurns.

Marquis Lee was selected before Arob but has been a hamstring magnet for the first 2 seasons. This was the first pre-season he's made it through without issue. We have high hopes as he can easily be yet another major pass threat.

Behind them we have Rashad Green and Brian Walters. Both solid, so WRs we got.

TE Julius Thomas - added last year he broke a finger on the first play of the first preseason game (yes, we are snake bit), but all has been good since. They showed nothing of him in the preseason and it was by design. He will be a big part of the plan this year - watch out for him (as we are - paid him big bucks).

At running back we added Chris Ivory to work with TJ Yeldon. They were both very good in pre-season. I think Ivory led the AFC in rushing last year at Buffalo. Yeldon is good but we didn't run the ball as often as we'd like last year (740 yds). They both average over 4 per carry and our hope his we have another Fred Taylor/MJD combo. We will see.

Our O-line was bad last year. Our #2 overall LT draft Luke Jokel was moved to Guard this year with Kevin Betchum coming back from an ACL out of PIT getting the LT start. He's only played in the 3rd pre-season game so we haven't seen that knee go a whole game. Jokel is also getting his first start at the guard position, so we have concerns. Blake was sacked an insane amount over the last two years. Center Brandon Linder is our best OL, but just moved to Center this season. The right side has been solid, so everyone here has eyes on the O-line.

Defence:

If we had just a slightly better defense we would have won 4+ more games last year. They were bad, especially on 3rd down, we can stop the run pretty good with D-line and Paul Pozlusky our MLB, but had no answer for a passing attack. We couldn't get anyone off the field, and had no pass rush. Our #1 draft selection Donte Fowler Jr. litereally torn his ACL one his first play in training camp and was gone for the year. But! We got busy in the draft and free agency this year. Jalen Ramsey and Miles Jack were the well know draft selections this year, and with Donte coming in it's like we have 3 first round guys taking the field now. Malik Jackson, Prince Amukamora and Tashaun Gipson we're added from FA (House from you guys last year). So on paper we look to be much better, but we haven't seen anything yet. They need to gel so it's better to play them now (like you are) vs/ later in the season if you ask me. But still, we can only go up from where we were! Keep an eye out for our pass-rush, it's been our main focus.

Special Teams:

We were horrible in coverage this pre-season. Where we've been average, we hope it's just pre-season, but we'll see. Our Kicker Jason Myers is ready to be ran out of town. He missed a bunch of extra points last year... (still hurts), he can kick it 60 yards, but accuracy is the issue. We hope we don't have to count on him to win the game. If it come down to that and you're watching on the TV, know that we are all terrified.

Who you should look out for is Corey Grant returning kicks. This guys is nothing but speed, he's got funny speed. Many we're curious if we would have a spot for him, but in preseason he showed it again and when you see it, you just can't cut it from the team.

All that being said, our guess is that we are going to try and keep Arron off the field with our two-headed running attack, we don't want to get in a shoot-out with Arron although we feel Blake can do it. If we get behind look out for the deep ball. How you pass rush will work against our suspect O-line will be another hand wringer over here. We're young across the board and have been in a complete rebuild since the new owner/coach/GM took over 3 years go. We only have 2 guys left on the team from before their tenure. But we are tired of the process and ready for some wins.

As for the weather. I am born and raised in North Florida, and I'm here to tell you, it is a miserable hot. Forecast is for 95• with a feels like 105• and it's no joke. The game is sold out but you will see a lot of empty seats I bet, but those people are in the AC. We've got a huge Bud Zone in one endgame and it's basically a huge open field bar, same thing with the redesigned club seat this year, they built two large windowed decks on both sides so everyone who sits in the posh AC club area with all the games running on big screens can see the field now, but basically it's freaking hot and we know it. How it effects the game is to be seen, but man, it's hot!

I won't guess a score, I hope we win, we seem to play GB well for whatever reason and I'm glad it's here. If we can run the game and the get the heat on your D in the 4th quarter I think we win. If you harass BB all day and stop the run we lose. GL and no injuries!

NOW - Another cool thing. I am painting a mural here in Jacksonville for the Biggest Green Bay Packers Fan of all time! He has a 70' long, 30' wide. 30' tall garage for his (as large as legally possible) Horse trailer/RV. And he wanted the whole inside painted as Lambeau Field! It is a huge job that will end up taking me about 4 years. But I think you guys will get a kick out of it. I track the progress at lambeausouthproject dot com. Go check out some of my videos. I may bring this up on a separate thread in this forum as I am looking for some detail info about the stadium that I can't seem to find in pictures. Also I'll end up painting about 20,000 separate fans and have opened it up for anyone to send me picks and I will put them in the stadium. Brian (the guy_ wants to be in the Fan Hall of Fame - After you see this I don't know how that won't happen.

Whew!! Thanks for good luck Sunday (to us).
Welcome! And the garage looks fantastic, I will follow the process.

I am glad we are playing Jacksonville early in the season. I think they will get better each week and could be a force by the end of the season. How is Miles Jack looking? There were many fans here who were upset we did not select him.

My prediction: Packers 27 Jacksonville 20. I think we are really going to spread the ball around. Cook and Lacy will both have big days. On defense, Blake Martinez will make a difference on the defense. My biggest concern is the DTs playing in the heat. We are out our starter and a bit short handed.

Should be a good game.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Allen Robinson did good to me in last year's fantasy. :D

Hopefully Randall come out on top here.

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My biggest concern is the DTs playing in the heat. We are out our starter and a bit short handed.
Should be a good game.
I spect we will see more nickle and dime mixed in to help rest the DL this week. I think we have some good tackling Safeties this year who add speed and some impact for a change. We also have Datone who can put his hand on the ground as well to help the rotation. All in all, I expect our defense to be quicker to the ball this year. They may be get run over when the get there but hey, ya can't have it all...

D

Deleted member 6794

Allen Robinson did good to me in last year's fantasy. :D

Hopefully Randall come out on top here.

I expect Shields to cover Robinson most of the game.

I spect we will see more nickle and dime mixed in to help rest the DL this week. We also have Datone who can put his hand on the ground as well to help the rotation.

The Packers played nickel or dime defense on more than 80% of the snaps last season. Therefore it will be tough to line up in that formation even more. Datone Jones might end up lining up inside in subpackages but after losing 15 pounds this offseason isn't a fit to play on the defensive line in the base defense.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers listed Jeff Janis and Justin Perillo as questionable for Sunday. Chris Banjo, Trevor Davis and Jayrone Elliott are doubtful.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree conditions are going to nothing that we fans or the Packers have ever experienced. It will be brutal. Like I said this game will have less to do with talent and more to do with conditioning.

The average temperature during training camp this year was only six degrees warmer in Jacksonville
versus Green Bay. This summer was one of the warmest and humid in the Green Bay area in recent
memory. Yes, conditioning will be a factor for both teams since this is the first game of the season,
but I don't think the weather plays as big as a factor as you may think. Where weather can be a
significant factor is in November and December when you can have a large temperature gap.

Dakota

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jag fan here, coming in peace. I have a lot of family in the area, mostly Oshkosh, and am sort of an outcast (football speaking) because I am a Jag fan. I moved here 25 years ago or so though, so this became my home team. Just wanted to wish well to both teams, and foremost, no injuries.

As far as the game itself goes, it's really hard to say. Jacksonville has an up and coming offense that seems to gain steam by the game. The one downside is first quarter. It's like they are on a 15 minute time delay and don't start the game until the second quarter. I see Green Bay starting out fast and furious against the home team in the first quarter.

The HUGE question mark is the defense. There is a lot of raw talent there, but it is unproven. Maybe they are something special, maybe not. Time will tell. A lot of people feel weather will be a factor in the game as well. I'm not sold on that. close to 40% of your roster comes from southern teams. They know what it's about. It's a factor, but not a huge one.

I haven't followed your offseason as closely as I should have, but as long as you have your QB, anything can happen. Rogers (or is it Rodgers?) is that good. As far as the rest of the team, I can't say much, because I really don't know.

Well, that's about it. Here's to a good, clean game with no injuries, and best of luck for the rest of the season (after Sunday, of course. :p )

Cheers, and here's to a great game. :)

D

Deleted member 6794

Packers add Bahktiari to injury report. The left tackle is questionable with a back injury.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Go Pack Go!

Try a KC Royals game in July with 120+ heat index. Most miserable experience ever as far as heat and humidity.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Speak for yourself. I worked in the Kohler pottery building in college. Easily over 100 degrees in that place during the summer.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speak for yourself. I worked in the Kohler pottery building in college. Easily over 100 degrees in that place during the summer.

Try cooking in the back of a kitchen when it's 95 degrees and humid outside and the AC hasn't worked in days inside the kitchen. All of us were drinkin water by the pitcher

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I worked in a gray iron foundry for 2 1/2 decades. Add 20-30 degrees to the outside temp, with the humidity add a film of dust in the air. Wear long sleeves and heavy jeans and a respirator and a hard hat and heavy leather or fiberglass gloves to deflect burns from radiant heat coming off the molten iron or the castings. You're flipping the smaller of these by hand. They may be in the 200-250 deg range. They got rid of the line a few years ago where the castings were still too hot to be magnetized. Still have the line where wooden pallets will eventually ignite from the castings. The company provided a free Gatorade machine after the salt pills were deemed unsafe. Oh and also hope your job site was near the incoming air duct.

Last edited:

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
can't wait!

Blake Martinez DROY bid starts tomorrow.

I predict our defense to force multiple turnovers and win convincingly. I think Cobb will have a big day

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Go Pack Go!

Try Iraq in the middle of the summer. 130+ with sand storms make it so you can't see 15 feet in front of you. Then you can't escape the heat by going into your air conditioned house at the end of the day. You sleep in a puddle of dust and sweat. All while knowing people there want you dead lol