Week 1 : Jacksonville Jaguars

D

Deleted member 6794

Offensive line struggling, especially in run blocking. No run game to speak of today.

The offensive line struggled blocking for the run but Lacy looked good as he got most of his rushing yards after contact.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Taylor held up well against a good pass rusher, but I'm hoping the passing game was rusty just because this was the first time they've really played any minutes together. Lacy looked good, but this is not an overpowering offensive line, as usual; and we will have to have a more effective passing game to beat good teams. The defense looks pretty much the same as last year's model--particularly in giving up big plays. We should be ok against the Yikes, but good QBs are going to gash our defense. Rogers and co. better get things going.

Dakota

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Same Jag fan back again. Just wanted to congratulate you on your win. It was a super game. I really didn't know who was going to win until the end. I hope it was as entertaining for all of you as it was for me. (should be, as you got that W). You guys are a class act though, and I wanted to wish good luck to your team the rest of the way. :)

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Same Jag fan back again. Just wanted to congratulate you on your win. It was a super game. I really didn't know who was going to win until the end. I hope it was as entertaining for all of you as it was for me. (should be, as you got that W). You guys are a class act though, and I wanted to wish good luck to your team the rest of the way. :)

Thanks for bringing some class to our forum Dakota, that doesn't always happen when opposing fans come here ;)

I was impressed with the Jags and I think they are headed in the right direction for sure. Now go beat the Vikings, Lions and Bears and we will see you in the Super Bowl! :D

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
Thanks brother! FWIW it looks like the AFC South is wide open and I think you guys can challenge.

On a serious note though, WTF is up with those helmets? :x3:

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Side note: Davante's TD celebration was incredibly lame.

Great catch, though. :sneaky:

Shanghai Pack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a few thoughts

Studs:

O-Line: In general they held up fairly well in pass protection. The run blocking is a little bit of a question mark still, especially on the stretch runs. I really don't understand why they try to run Eddie to the edge instead of using his size and going up the middle, but the if those are the calls that are going to be made, the O-Line will need to be better at making a lane on them.

Clinton Dix and D. Randall: I thought they both played really well and were quite physical.

Clay: He was getting a lot of penetration on some of the runs and had a few pressures to go along with the sack. He looked really reinvigorated being back on the edge.

Blake Martinez: overall I thought he played just ok, but that's all we really need. Having a rookie 4th rounder be able to man the middle and allow Clay to be on the edge is a huge boon to the defense even if he's not a playmaker in himself. By just being average, he's a stud for us.

Duds:

The first Jags drive run defense: gave up a lot of 6-7 runs against a team that didn't do too much the rest of the afternoon. Hopefully that was just a nerves/game plan issue that was adjusted after the first drive and they'll be fine going ahead. Overall run defense is still the thing I'm most concerned about on this team.

Jared Cook: super quiet, and imo on the one catch he had he went down before the contact hit instead of fighting for the first down. Hate seeing that. Richard Rodgers went all out on his diving extended catch to keep the first TD drive alive.

Gunther and Burnett: I think they looked slow and Burnett was a bit out of position a few times it seemed. I didn't really think Rollins played that badly. He got beat twice, but the one time he was in position and the throw was perfect on the TD to Julius Thomas and the other he was right there too. He'll just need to learn how to read the WR's reactions more and get his hands up to break up the pass.

The refs: didn't really see anyone mention it, but I have to say I didn't think it was an especially well reffed game. Honestly, it kind of felt like we got a few calls we shouldn't have got. Our DBs were mugging Allen Robinson and probably should have had a few PIs. Obviously, I'm happy the calls weren't made, but I'd like it be a bit more evenly called/consistent.

Vince Lombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Jags are definitely headed in the right direction. Glad Pack got them out of the way early. Your offense can be very scary & once the defense plays together for a while this team can be very good. Good Luck the rest of the way! Do us a favor and beat the Lions, Bears & Vikes for us!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Just a few thoughts

The refs: didn't really see anyone mention it, but I have to say I didn't think it was an especially well reffed game. Honestly, it kind of felt like we got a few calls we shouldn't have got. Our DBs were mugging Allen Robinson and probably should have had a few PIs. Obviously, I'm happy the calls weren't made, but I'd like it be a bit more evenly called/consistent.

While I agree the refs missed some calls (but what game don't they?), they missed calls both ways. There were times when they swallowed their whistles on PI calls against the Jags too. As long as they are consistent, it works its way out in the end (usually). I for one wish more refs would swallow the whistle for PI, unless its super obvious. Seems like most of the time there is an equal amount of hand fighting and jockeying for position and 99% of the time its called PI on the defense.

The one call I wish they would get right and yes I know it favors Rodgers and the Packers, is the damn off sides on the Defense when the DL jumps, gets back and doesn't actually cause the OL to flinch. Yesterday, it seemed like Taylor could have had eaten a sandwich by the time he reacted to a DL jump and he still got the refs to flag the Jag for offsides.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The one call I wish they would get right and yes I know it favors Rodgers and the Packers, is the damn off sides on the Defense when the DL jumps, gets back and doesn't actually cause the OL to flinch. Yesterday, it seemed like Taylor could have had eaten a sandwich by the time he reacted to a DL jump and he still got the refs to flag the Jag for offsides.
I've seen the same call on other teams and in other games. That one bugs my butt. Neutral zone should be crossed just not entered before it is called.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to see the rule changed just to make the Packers line up and play football instead of constantly trying to get something cheap. It seemed clever at first but now it's getting old, because they can't seem to win without it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'd like to see the rule changed just to make the Packers line up and play football instead of constantly trying to get something cheap. It seemed clever at first but now it's getting old, because they can't seem to win without it.

So jumping a snap count perfectly and getting a sack is considered cheap too? Or should all players have to stay behind the line of scrimmage until a referee raises a checkered flag and yells "Go!"? "Getting old" to me would be trying something that doesn't work, but Rodgers by keeping the defense honest and a click behind on their rush by changing up his snap count not only keeps working, but its smart and well within the rules. The penalties or free plays are a direct result of the decisions/actions made by players on the other team, not any decision or action made by Rodgers or the Packers. You really think the Packers can't win without it?

I suppose when the other team has mistakenly put 12 men on the field, Rodgers should stop play and point this accident out to the other team before they get penalized for it?

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats not what I'm suggesting. But when Taylor had that delayed reaction like he did, if they'd called false start(like they should have), don't you think maybe that'd make these guys concentrate on the task at hand a little more rather than playing this stupid game of "gotcha" all the time? That's all I'm saying.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Thats not what I'm suggesting. But when Taylor had that delayed reaction like he did, if they'd called false start(like they should have), don't you think maybe that'd make these guys concentrate on the task at hand a little more rather than playing this stupid game of "gotcha" all the time? That's all I'm saying.
You began talking about a total philosophy "I'd like to see the rule changed just to make the Packers line up and play football instead of constantly trying to get something cheap" and then you bring up one specific play that I think most, including myself, think was a blown call by the officials to suggest that rules need to be changed to prevent what? I don't see the Packers offense being negatively effected by this rule being enforced (correctly or incorrectly). Nor do I see it as a "gotcha game", but a part of the Packers offensive strategy used successfully by the Packers to slow down the defense. Playing within the rules and getting any kind of strategic advantage is the nature of most games.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You began talking about a total philosophy "I'd like to see the rule changed just to make the Packers line up and play football instead of constantly trying to get something cheap" and then you bring up one specific play that I think most, including myself, think was a blown call by the officials to suggest that rules need to be changed to prevent what? I don't see the Packers offense being negatively effected by this rule being enforced (correctly or incorrectly). Nor do I see it as a "gotcha game", but a part of the Packers offensive strategy used successfully by the Packers to slow down the defense. Playing within the rules and getting any kind of strategic advantage is the nature of most games.

I'm gonna put you on ignore, since you clearly just want to start an argument after every one of my posts.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm gonna put you on ignore, since you clearly just want to start an argument after every one of my posts.
I'm good with that as I am with healthy discussions. If you want to view someone that is in disagreement with you as someone who wants to argue with you no matter what you post, that is your prerogative. You clearly never saw some of your comments that I have rated as I agree with. BTW, getting defensive and rude isn't the way adults discuss things. So maybe you want to learn how to have a healthy discussion of a topic and be prepared for the fact that sometimes people aren't going to agree with you. Good luck to you jrock.

Last edited:

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did not get to watch the game this Sunday unfortunately and was wondering if anyone could tell me how Rip was blocking? I did read that he only played 8 snaps on O. Was wondering if he made or missed his blocks. Also did any of our WRs have any drops?

Vince Lombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did not get to watch the game this Sunday unfortunately and was wondering if anyone could tell me how Rip was blocking? I did read that he only played 8 snaps on O. Was wondering if he made or missed his blocks. Also did any of our WRs have any drops?
I thought Rip did a good job as a lead blocker the few plays he was in there. Adams had a drop on a long pass.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
He has often tried to Romo that play clock down and pull that last second snap right before it hits zero, I have seen that often yes, but I've seen him do much better on clock killing drives in 3rd and 4 situations than that over his career and convert plenty of them. To me, it just should not be an issue in those situations. I'll say it was a week 1 thing and due to minimal preseason play, but it's going to have to get better starting next week.
He does well but how many times have we seen him look up at the play clock and have to call a quick time out, often in the 1st/3rd quarter? It's a bad habit of his IMHO and not just related to game 1.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Just to be clear it was Lacy who was the one eating the sandwich.

Seriously though I agree. In order for it to be encroachment the offense should have to move while the defense is in the neutral zone. If he gets back no foul on him and the offense gets called. As the rule is written though it would add another level of subjectivity to the whole thing. Was he back before the offense moved or was he still in the zone. Do we really want to add more subjectivity to the way the game is officiated. Lets just say that once the ball is set no one on the LOS, offense or defense can move. I always wondered why the defense can move and the offense can't anyway, on the LOS that is, I don't mind the linebackers and Dbacks being able to move.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts