Vikings pt deux Studs and Duds

PhilaPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also Adams had both hands on the ball. The throw was sh*t but an Elite WR can overcome this. Drops seems to be a big, big problem for this offense. They really have to work on this one. It called many drives other the season.

Sadly i couldnt watch the game because my alarm didnt work and I slept through it but it seems liek a really good game. Holding a Top 10 offense to 10 points that came after turnover, dominating the time of possession and 2nd half offense showing up big way. It feels good that Rodgers can be in game manager mode and the team still can win games. Rodgers just needs to get to the Bradylevel of efficiency and the team is fine.

Just a questions: How was the clock/timeout management? I havent read anything about it so I guess it was improved compared to last weeks.

******** it feels good to be division champion. Dirty wins or not, a win is a win. In Germany there is a fitting saying: A good horse only jumps as high as it needs to.
This wasn't a dirty win, it was done by dominating the Vikings offensive line, and forcing the QB to make bad throws. PACKERS defense is bad to the bone.

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Did Jamaal Williams get hurt? I thought I heard a comment on it during the game. Dexter Williams got a few snaps in the second half.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs; Pettine's D for sure. And the usual suspects - Adams & Jones.

Duds: Turnovers. As coaches like to say "Gotta clean that stuff up".

Green Bay has now beaten the purples in all three of their recent venues. The Pack is also 5-0 in the division, and have a legitimate shot at the #1 overall seed.....Not bad for a rookie head coach.

Go Seattle, and Go Pack Go!

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't read through everyone's reply yet but here goes.

Studs: Defense and Z. Smith. He played like his hair was on fire. The defense as a whole was pumped up.
Kevin King- So glad that he is fairly healthy this season. The interception was a beauty.

Second half LaFleur made some adjustments and Aaron seemed to play within the scheme. What do you know? They finally started marching down the field and scored.

Jones with that long TD run just left me speechless.

Duds: The offense in the first half. Rodgers/LaFleur continually going for the long ball. And looking for Adams over and over again....although I did notice that the other receivers were not getting any separation.

But the team didn't get frustrated or 'give up' they kept on playing and fighting and won. I honestly did not think that would happen watching all the mistakes initially.

Great game. Great win. I love this: The North is Not Enough.:D

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WoW! We went out and just beat em like a drum.
Studs: Z. Smith What a game he had! Just awesome. A. Jones Man he can run. K. King He made an excellent tackle and that interception was not only timely but a good catch. He played with intensity. The whole D.
The talking heads say Rodgers did not play well. All they see are stats. I saw a captain.
Honorable mention Lazard.

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:

The entire D did a phenomenal job. Turnovers put them on a short field, in a hostile environment and they played their tails off.

Specifically:

Z. Smith. What else can be said? He was a monster out there.

K. Clark. Love this guy.

K. King. Nice pick and return. When he's good he's darn good. A little more consistency and he'll be excellent. Can you imagine have two top notch corners? It's been so long!

Offense:

A. Jones. The man can play. Great cutbacks, great vision, great acceleration, great top end speed, durable. We haven't had this since . . . when? Ahman Green, I guess. Though Jones is a different type of runner.

D. Adams. Not his best game, but he is a workhorse. Moved the chains.

Lazard. He's earned the number two and has upside from here.

O-Line. Opened holes for Jones, keep Rodgers pretty clean.

Rodgers: Forget the QB rating on this one. Yes, the pick was a bad throw. A couple others were off. But also some great throws, and more importantly, the check downs, the audibles, the ability to keep drives going -- that's what I've wanted from Rodgers all season and he delivered in this game. You don't have to have heroic throws or scrambles to win the game. I think this was Rodgers' best game of the season on a pre-snap basis. He got it right nearly every time.

Special teams: has gone from a weakness in prior years to a strength this year. Scott, Erwin, Crosby, coverage, etc. Got the job done beautifully.

Coaching: great game plan on both sides of the ball. Hats off to MLF and Pett. I was apprehensive about this game. The brain trust had it scoped out. The absence of Dalvin Cook made it easier to scheme, of course, but regardless, a very good effort by the coaching staff.

Special Stud Mention: Packers fans at the stadium. Loved the "Go, Pack, Go!" coming through on the broadcast.

Duds:

The announcers. It took them until well into the third quarter to grudgingly accept that maybe the Packers are a pretty good team.

The national sports media (especially ESPN) which even this morning is giving the Packers zero respect. But there's an easy fix to that problem: keep winning, baby.

Love it that we can lock up a bye with a win over Detroit. We must trust in MLF and the staff to keep the intensity dialed up. Home field is there for the taking. Grab it! And here's hoping that the Seahawks throttle the 49ers next week.

H

HardRightEdge

Not to take anything away from the defensive effort, but that's a different Vikings offense without Cook. Boone and Abdulah are not exactly runners who will beat you to the edge or give much pause on play action. The Packers came into this in release-the-hounds mode. I would not expect a repeat of that unless somebody else's #1 and #2 runners go down.

That said, from the perspective of exploiting an opportunity when it is presented, Z should get consideration for Defensive Player of the Week. It was that kind of performance.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Well there’s the saying “ you are what your record says you are.” If you watched the Packers play enough this season, you’d wonder how the heck this team is 11-3? They are the least **** 11-3 team in NFL history.

Last I checked the Packers were 12-3. ;) They might not have been a **** team prior to last night, but that game was a clear message to the other teams playing after next Sunday, "The Packers are legit". Not to mention that the probability of securing the #1 Seed went up quite a bit with that win.

Last edited:

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Not to take anything away from the defensive effort, but that's a different Vikings offense without Cook. Boone and Abdulah are not exactly runners who will beat you to the edge or give much pause on play action. The Packers came into this in release-the-hounds mode. I would not expect a repeat of that unless somebody else's #1 and #2 runners go down.

That said, from the perspective of exploiting an opportunity when it is presented, Z should get consideration for Defensive Player of the Week. It was that kind of performance.
I would be completely in favor of the Packers taking advantage of that type of fortune all the way to a Lombardi. ;)

Z is just a monster. If he's able to have that type of game changing impact in the playoffs, and Rodgers gets to grooving, the NFL better watch out.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
STUDS
I know it's been beat to death but he deserves all the recognition . . .

ZSmith - his best game as a pro. Maybe the most dominating defensive player in the NFL this season, excepting maybe Barrett.

Gute - for seeing what a bargain ZSmith is when I and others thought we over paid.

Mr. and Mrs Smith for genetically creating ZSmith and raising a great human being.

Kevin King, Kenny Clark, and Preston smith - great games.

Aaron Jones - his best game as a pro. Love the way he runs.

Pettine - great game plan.

MLF - looks like we got ourselves an outstanding coach

Kirk Cousins - the 2nd coming of Cutler

Minny FO - for signing Kirk Cousins

Mr. And Mrs. Cousins . . .

DUDS
Packer fans who crowned the Vikings NFC Champs weeks ago.

I know you are kind of a "Rodgers doubter" or at least a "hey Packer fans, keep your "Rodgers homerism's in check". However, I think it is really hard not to recognize that besides Jones and Adams, the Packers offense has very few weapons and that makes Rodgers job a lot harder than a lot of QB's that you like to try and compare him with.
For every dropped pass you can find several bad throws and missed opportunities. The weapons he has he is not using.

Rodgers wasn't a dud by any means but not a stud either. This was one of his better games this season. As I have posted, most of his issues are with his comfort with the new offense. He appears to be getting more comfortable.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
STUDS
I know it's been beat to death but he deserves all the recognition . . .

ZSmith - his best game as a pro. Maybe the most dominating defensive player in the NFL this season, excepting maybe Barrett.

Gute - for seeing what a bargain ZSmith is when I and others thought we over paid.

Mr. and Mrs Smith for genetically creating ZSmith and raising a great human being.

Kevin King, Kenny Clark, and Preston smith - great games.

Aaron Jones - his best game as a pro. Love the way he runs.

Pettine - great game plan.

MLF - looks like we got ourselves an outstanding coach

Kirk Cousins - the 2nd coming of Cutler

Minny FO - for signing Kirk Cousins

Mr. And Mrs. Cousins . . .

DUDS
Packer fans who crowned the Vikings NFC Champs weeks ago.

For every dropped pass you can find several bad throws and missed opportunities. The weapons he has he is not using.

Rodgers wasn't a dud by any means but not a stud either. This was one of his better games this season. As I have posted, most of his issues are with his comfort with the new offense. He appears to be getting more comfortable.
You nailed every single point. Well done. Couldn't agree more.

H

HardRightEdge

Dud (or Stud depending on your perspective):

Stefanski made a big mistake after converting that 3rd. and 18. You could feel some air coming out of the Packer defense, and the Vikings built off that conversion with two Adullah runs for another first down. Instead of leveraging that momentum they went for the deep shot. It struck me as a panic move. When King picked it off, I was pretty confident this game was in hand.

H

HardRightEdge

Besides the WR blocks, Tonyan deserves a little shout out. McFarland spotlighted him on a replay leading through the hole and taking out a DB on a nice run. There was an earlier play where he pulled into the hole and pancaked a guy. I'm not sure he's where he needs to be with his in-line blocking, but used in this way, which looked like a new wrinkle, he can get his hat on a guy.

There were quite a few 2 TE or TE-FB sets in this game. Graham, Lewis, Tonyan and Vitale combined for 113 snaps in a 77 snap game. That seemed to be at Allison's expense--33 snaps. If this didn't look a lot more like last season's Titans offense than McCarthy's, something I've pointed out in previous weeks in response to such claims, I don't know what you'd need to see.

All in all, given the caliber of the Vikings front 7, this was probably the best execution of the outside zone blocking we've seen all season. It's good time to be getting it together.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

I would be completely in favor of the Packers taking advantage of that type of fortune all the way to a Lombardi. ;)
When it is presented. I wouldn't count on it. Finding the next opportunity and exploiting it, which is likely to be less obvious and pronounced, will be the key.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
STUD: Anthony Barr for firing up Aaron Jones. After Jones fumble on the opening drive. Barr told Jones "The lights are too bright for you, get off the field."

I have to wonder if Barr used the same line on his QB after the game was over?

Thanks Anthony you ****** bag!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I hope this is the first of a few more posters made in the next few months.

txj

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Disappointing at the empty chatter about ugly win. This was a very balanced performance and I hope they continue to build on this template; and catch those damn balls...

Reaction score
The talking heads say Rodgers did not play well. All they see are stats. I saw a captain.

Rodgers: Forget the QB rating on this one. Yes, the pick was a bad throw. A couple others were off. But also some great throws, and more importantly, the check downs, the audibles, the ability to keep drives going -- that's what I've wanted from Rodgers all season and he delivered in this game.
Amen. In a strange sense, Rodgers managed this game effectively. His biggest celebrating came on the Jones 54 yard TD scamper and i don’t believe it was artificial. IMO he’s grown up some recently. Wisdom always wears better than pride. #12 chose wisdom and it worked.

The national sports media (especially ESPN) which even this morning is giving the Packers zero respect
let’s hope that continues and we keep flying right under the radar my friend.

I would not expect a repeat of that unless somebody else's #1 and #2 runners go down.
I mildly disagree with this. While Cook is a key player and could’ve extended a drive or 3. If GB lined up tomorrow with a healthy Cook? GB wins by a 2 score margin. GB left a ton of points out there.
Even a healthy Cook or Thielen or both wouldn’t erase that much margin. They just would’ve given us a scare last night at Best. The score didn’t reflect the beatdown. The Vikings forums this morning reflect this repeatedly.

Tonyan deserves a little shout out. McFarland spotlighted him on a replay leading through the hole and taking out a DB on a nice run. There was an earlier play where he pulled into the hole and pancaked a guy.
very Nice.
I also saw a play where #52 Gary absolutely blew an OL off his feet into the QB pocket.
#52 had another play that showcased his speed and effort.. He nearly got a sack on Cousins as he stepped up and released the ball.. and then hustled downfield and tackled the WR on that same play? That’s absolutely a rarity.
If #55 takes #52 as an understudy (he needs more refining and we already have evidence they are friends off the field) Watch out.

Last edited:

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
STUD: Anthony Barr for firing up Aaron Jones. After Jones fumble on the opening drive. Barr told Jones "The lights are too bright for you, get off the field."

I have to wonder if Barr used the same line on his QB after the game was over?

Thanks Anthony you ****** bag!

What a tool. Glad he went back to Minnesota

Members online