UDFA Signings...

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What happens with Jamaal Williams in your opinion???

My comment is geared towards at worst case that is the picture I see in 2021...but I sense Jamaal could be on the trade block. Especially if the organization has the plan to spend the capital on Jones, the Dillon pick makes Jamaal even more necessary to leave Green Bay. We won't be signing both back after this (their final year for each)..Dillon's pick is an excellent pick in a vacuum purely because it allows Green Bay to not hesitate to let one walk....if Jones leaves, I'm guess Williams gets resigned...if they plan on paying Jones I think Gute will do what he seems to like to do with lower tier players is get a 6th or 7th for them now rather than let walk after the season and get nothing.

D

Deleted member 6794

My comment is geared towards at worst case that is the picture I see in 2021...but I sense Jamaal could be on the trade block. Especially if the organization has the plan to spend the capital on Jones, the Dillon pick makes Jamaal even more necessary to leave Green Bay. We won't be signing both back after this (their final year for each)..Dillon's pick is an excellent pick in a vacuum purely because it allows Green Bay to not hesitate to let one walk....if Jones leaves, I'm guess Williams gets resigned...if they plan on paying Jones I think Gute will do what he seems to like to do with lower tier players is get a 6th or 7th for them now rather than let walk after the season and get nothing.

I was solely talking about what will with Jamaal Williams this season. With Gutekunst spending a second rounder on Dillon it should be considered likely that the front office plans to let both Jones and Williams walk away in free agency next offseason.

I highly doubt Williams has any trade value though.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was solely talking about what will with Jamaal Williams this season. With Gutekunst spending a second rounder on Dillon it should be considered likely that the front office plans to let both Jones and Williams walk away in free agency next offseason.

I highly doubt Williams has any trade value though.

Jamaal 100% would be an upgrade for some teams in the league for their #2 guy, especially if any injuries occur leading up to the season (assuming we have a lead up). I didn't believe guys like Trevor Davis had trade value but did...or Deshone....I mean even if Jamaal gets a team to swap picks with us conditionally if their say 6th is higher than ours I still think could happen.

Dillon's signing for sure spells doom for one of the two (Jones/Williams)...I'm just curious which way it plays out, and I sense a lot of it will depend just how much Jones wants vs. what we desire to give.

D

Deleted member 6794

Jamaal 100% would be an upgrade for some teams in the league for their #2 guy, especially if any injuries occur leading up to the season (assuming we have a lead up).

I think it's funny that you consider Williams an upgrade for some teams as their #2 running back but not good enough to fill that role with the Packers.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's funny that you consider Williams an upgrade for some teams as their #2 running back but not good enough to fill that role with the Packers.

You seriously LOVE taking words and inserting them into folks mouths. I do actually think he is capable of that role for the Packers, however with the Dillon pick I personally sense the organization doesn't, at least not in 2020...now perhaps they want Dillon as the 2021 bell holder back there with Jamaal his backup...who knows. Williams is more than capable to be a #2 for the Pack.

D

Deleted member 6794

You seriously LOVE taking words and inserting them into folks mouths. I do actually think he is capable of that role for the Packers, however with the Dillon pick I personally sense the organization doesn't, at least not in 2020...now perhaps they want Dillon as the 2021 bell holder back there with Jamaal his backup...who knows. Williams is more than capable to be a #2 for the Pack.

Well, if that's the case what's the point of spending a second rounder on a backup running back while the team had one capable of filling that role on the roster???

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, if that's the case what's the point of spending a second rounder on a backup running back while the team had one capable of filling that role on the roster???

I'd direct that to Gute for an answer that isn't speculation.

My speculative answer is he was high on their board and was a position that arguably could be bare in 2021 should we not have addressed it.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'd direct that to Gute for an answer that isn't speculation.

I'm sorry but for some reason I thought Dantés, Gary and you run the Packers PR department. My bad.

My speculative answer is he was high on their board and was a position that arguably could be bare in 2021 should we not have addressed it.

I was in favor of selecting a running back because of Jones and Williams set to become free agents next offseason. Gutekunst should have addressed it on day three of the draft though.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sorry but for some reason I thought Dantés, Gary and you run the Packers PR department. My bad.

I was in favor of selecting a running back because of Jones and Williams set to become free agents next offseason. Gutekunst should have addressed it on day three of the draft though.

LOL I wish, probably pays better!

As for timing of selecting a RB I truly thought Day 2 or later unless someone fell....clearly I guess Gute felt Dillon did fall....as I had numerous others personally rated higher than him from other positions at 62.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If you want a day 3 pick to take over for Williams next year and re-sign Jones then I think we're just running in the same spot. Not really improving the position. I like the Dillon pick the more that time has passed. I'm hopeful they DO pay Jones next year as well too, a 1-2 punch akin to Kamara (Jones) and Ingram (Dillon) would be great for the aging veteran QB. If we can afford that, well I guess we'll see. WIth the shift towards the run game that is likely coming, my guess is that's in the plans (re-signing Jones).

D

Deleted member 6794

As for timing of selecting a RB I truly thought Day 2 or later unless someone fell....clearly I guess Gute felt Dillon did fall....as I had numerous others personally rated higher than him from other positions at 62.

I guess Gutekunst was the only person on earth believing Dillon dropped to #62.

D

Deleted member 6794

If you want a day 3 pick to take over for Williams next year and re-sign Jones then I think we're just running in the same spot. Not really improving the position. I like the Dillon pick the more that time has passed. I'm hopeful they DO pay Jones next year as well too, a 1-2 punch akin to Kamara (Jones) and Ingram (Dillon) would be great for the aging veteran QB. If we can afford that, well I guess we'll see. WIth the shift towards the run game that is likely coming, my guess is that's in the plans (re-signing Jones).

I'm not in favor of re-signing Jones, especially after using a second rounder on his replacement.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not in favor of re-signing Jones, especially after using a second rounder on his replacement.

They're two different backs - it's pretty obvious they want to use some thunder and lightning.

I am in favor of them re-signing Jones. If Dillon pans out, we'd have potentially the top 1-2 punch in the league.

D

Deleted member 6794

They're two different backs - it's pretty obvious they want to use some thunder and lightning.

I am in favor of them re-signing Jones. If Dillon pans out, we'd have potentially the top 1-2 punch in the league.

Running backs aren't valuable enough in today's league to sign them to lucrative second contracts.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Running backs aren't valuable enough in today's league to sign them to lucrative second contracts.

That is the common thought regarding running backs. Unfortunately, with an aging QB, he'll want consistency. We need 25 TD's from our RB's just to keep pace with last year. That's best done with both Dillon and Jones moving forward.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Imo, Williams isn't that capable. He's just a guy. Good at blocking, good ST's, ok runner. Solid in every sense of the word.

Jones is great, but he has some injury concern, and contract concerns.

Dillon at the very least, is a significant upgrade over Williams. He's also a potential replacement if Jones wants a huge contract. And shoot, LaFleur wants to run the ball. If that's the offense, you need backs for it.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm guessing we keep all three and Ervin for this year.
AJ Dillion was the RB I'd pound the table for. I'm glad we got him. The other RB who I'd love to take in the late round or pick up as a UDFA was Monmouth's RB Pete Guerriero. Hell, give him at least a try out once everything settles. Guerriero has special teams experience and would threaten Ervins spot. At the very LEAST practice squad him or just have him as a camp body. Its unfortunate a team hasn't signed him (or he hasn't signed with a team).

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You’ve got it right Ty. IMO, Dillon was an insurance pick against losing Jones next year. This year they’ll carry Jones, Williams, and Dillon and stash someone on the PS. I also expect Dillon will take snaps from Williams as the season proceeds. If Jones has another productive year, I expect he’ll look for a contract north of $10 mil/year, and I don’t think Gluten will pay that for a RB.

D

Deleted member 6794

That is the common thought regarding running backs. Unfortunately, with an aging QB, he'll want consistency. We need 25 TD's from our RB's just to keep pace with last year. That's best done with both Dillon and Jones moving forward.

The Packers don't need their running backs to put up 25 touchdowns this season to keep pace with last year. The wide receivers and tight ends have to account for a higher number of TDs though.

Dillon at the very least, is a significant upgrade over Williams.

I'm not convinced about that to be true.

IMO, Dillon was an insurance pick against losing Jones next year.

While it was smart to draft a running back as an insurance policy with Jones and Williams headed for free agency next offseason there was no reason to spend a second rounder on the position.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers don't need their running backs to put up 25 touchdowns this season to keep pace with last year. The wide receivers and tight ends have to account for a higher number of TDs though.

While it was smart to draft a running back as an insurance policy with Jones and Williams headed for free agency next offseason there was no reason to spend a second rounder on the position.

Nah. The offense will revolve around the running game now. So 25 tds is the goal, and hopefully one we will surpass. I do hope that the wrs and te's do more too.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I’m pretty sure Dillon would have been there in the 3rd round. Both Dillon and the TE selected in round 3 were reaches, IMO. It’s just one reason why I’m not crazy about this entire draft. The only guy selected where I thought there was value was OL Runyan. And for what it’s worth, taking a QB in round 1 was about two years too early, so talk about another reach.....

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Imo, Williams isn't that capable. He's just a guy. Good at blocking, good ST's, ok runner. Solid in every sense of the word.

Jones is great, but he has some injury concern, and contract concerns.

Dillon at the very least, is a significant upgrade over Williams. He's also a potential replacement if Jones wants a huge contract. And shoot, LaFleur wants to run the ball. If that's the offense, you need backs for it.
I agree Gary, Dillon is a significant upgrade over Williams. He was drafted a bit too early, but I expect he’ll contribute quite a bit as a rookie.

Reaction score
I'm still available and willing to work with a low 6 figure type of salary. :coffee:
You must first come to realize that the necessary 2 gap DL requirement... doesn’t mean 4 stomach folds with 2 gaps in between the folds right?

The Wonderlic ain’t a desert! Let’s try a quiz question to see if you have what it takes!
Which weighs more.. 300lbs of feathers or 300lbs of fat? :whistling:

Latest posts