2020 Roster Additions

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some have talked of (basically) running Aaron Jones into the ground if we are not going to keep him. Whereas I understand the thinking; I think it is horrible. Only a pos does this kind of thing. Mooooooooo

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some have talked of (basically) running Aaron Jones into the ground if we are not going to keep him. Whereas I understand the thinking; I think it is horrible. Only a pos does this kind of thing. Mooooooooo

The Dillon pick tells me that is in no way their plan....if anything I see Dillon as a bonafide plan to drop Jones burden some.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Dillon pick tells me that is in no way their plan....if anything I see Dillon as a bonafide plan to drop Jones burden some.
Doubt that was a plan. But it should work out that way. At least I hope so because that will mean Dillon is doing well.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wouldn't be surprised to see both of them on the field a lot this year. I do not think running Jones into the ground is a good use of resources whether we keep him or not.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont mind this draft. If anything, it lets us know Packers are expecting second/third year jumps from the previous draft picks & prospects. Which is a double edge sword.

I had Love, Dillion & Runyan mocked to the Packers in my mock drafts. I LOVED Love and Dillion as prospects. Dillion was that RB prospect I'd pound the table for and I'm glad we took him. I had Dillion in the 3-4th but it didn't matter where he was picked (Packers probably had him in the 3rd, trading the 4th shifted Deguara to 3rd and Dillion into 2nd). My pre draft pro comp for Dillion was James Conner. Both are powerful runners who did not get to show case their catching ability. Dillion has to improve his endurance but that can be easily remedied with our strength/conditioning program.

I don't understand the Kamal Martin pick. IMO hes not threatening to take over the backup ILBs roles from Summers or Bolton (who I believe could start over Burks). I actually like our undrafted pick up LB Krys Barnes more than Martin. I would've drafted Markus Bailey if we wanted that thumper in the middle.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me add something to the your list

Because our GM is an idiot whom I now believe is on the Narcotic, The Green Bay Packers record will be 4-12 and the running game Lafleur is so.commited to will be in the bottom half of the league!

It always amazes me that the people who are so quick to label someone else an idiot are the same people who would most benefit from putting as much distance between that word and themselves.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont mind this draft. If anything, it lets us know Packers are expecting second/third year jumps from the previous draft picks & prospects. Which is a double edge sword.

I had Love, Dillion & Runyan mocked to the Packers in my mock drafts. I LOVED Love and Dillion as prospects. Dillion was that RB prospect I'd pound the table for and I'm glad we took him. I had Dillion in the 3-4th but it didn't matter where he was picked (Packers probably had him in the 3rd, trading the 4th shifted Deguara to 3rd and Dillion into 2nd). My pre draft pro comp for Dillion was James Conner. Both are powerful runners who did not get to show case their catching ability. Dillion has to improve his endurance but that can be easily remedied with our strength/conditioning program.

I don't understand the Kamal Martin pick. IMO hes not threatening to take over the backup ILBs roles from Summers or Bolton (who I believe could start over Burks). I actually like our undrafted pick up LB Krys Barnes more than Martin. I would've drafted Markus Bailey if we wanted that thumper in the middle.

I know absolutely nothing about Kamal Martin, won't even pretend to.

I did see on Twitter this morning what Jim Nagy had to say about him though. For those who don't know, Nagy heads up the SR Bowl. Was a pro scout for years.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I did see on Twitter this morning what Jim Nagy had to say about him though. For those who don't know, Nagy heads up the SR Bowl. Was a pro scout for years.

^ Thanks for the tweet, Gary. I will second that. Martin played SOO much better in 2018. He looked fast and fluid. He also looks 20 pounds lighter. Covered alot of slot WRs, TEs and RBs.
Theres no cut up of his 2018 tape but here's the 2018 Minn vs Ohio STate. #21

Just based on 2019 though, he looked like a totally different player. He was slow to diagnose plays and played sluggish. Might be a combination of injury and increase of weight/responsibilities. I hope we get the 2018 version of Martin.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Jones is the better RB, taking him off the field to give Dillon the ball (outside of short-yardage and goaline) would hurt the team. Fact is that Jones is better than 25 other starting RBs in the league so I'm not saying Dillon is no good, just that taking Jones off the field hurts the offense; especially when Jones is now the second best receiver on the team.

People are excited for Dillon, and I am as well, but a RB who doesn't run good routes and has unknown hands isn't a guarantee to be an elite RB in the NFL, and when you draft a guy at RB in the second round, it had darn well turn out to be a truly elite RB since you only have the guy for 4 years.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Jones is the better RB, taking him off the field to give Dillon the ball (outside of short-yardage and goaline) would hurt the team. Fact is that Jones is better than 25 other starting RBs in the league so I'm not saying Dillon is no good, just that taking Jones off the field hurts the offense; especially when Jones is now the second best receiver on the team.

People are excited for Dillon, and I am as well, but a RB who doesn't run good routes and has unknown hands isn't a guarantee to be an elite RB in the NFL, and when you draft a guy at RB in the second round, it had darn well turn out to be a truly elite RB since you only have the guy for 4 years.

The team disagrees with you about the routes and the hands. They would argue that a lack of usage didn't equate to a lack of ability. We will see.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't pull Jones off for Dillon to be the primary but if you think it would be smart to push Jones carry totals late into games or in situations where we have to pound out the clock than you're nuts folks.

Dillon is a beast and perfect compliment to Jones and will allow Jones to not get overused.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
You don't pull Jones off for Dillon to be the primary but if you think it would be smart to push Jones carry totals late into games or in situations where we have to pound out the clock than you're nuts folks.

Dillon is a beast and perfect compliment to Jones and will allow Jones to not get overused.

And if the team wants to increase its rushing totals again in 2020 by even half as much as they did from 2018 to 2019, then Jones is only going to be able to carry half of the load.

TornSolace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the addition of Dillon, Jamaal is probably 3rd on the depth chart. If the Packers plan on resigning Jones, then I would agree with trading Williams. If you think Jones will be too expensive, and they aren't willing to pay him, I would probably keep Jamaal and try to resign him to a decent team friendly deal next off-season. I would hate to lose both guys, but signing both, at this point, seems pretty far-fetched.
If I were them I wouldn't sign team friendly deals because the team doesn't care about them they are getting beat up I'm the trenches and deserve to get paid for their production

TornSolace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fine as I cannot stand ignorance when given the chance to not be.

Yes, as a whole I would argue the Offensive Line at best completed a lateral move prior to the draft in the losing of Bryan Bulaga and the signing of Ricky Wagner. While by some metrics Wagner has graded very well, he is not Bulaga level, however also if one researches has proven to be an above average RT in the league for quite a few years. Your claim of fact that we did nothing to replace Bulaga is utterly false, we have. To what degree that replacement is valued when weighted against Bulaga is obviously a discussion both sides would need to speculate on; personally it was as a slight downgrade given their age, performance and contract cost vs expected production.

Now we leave the draft with a long term Michigan LT for years, that due to slightly shorter arms than the normal projects as a Guard switch at the next level...but with a lot of experience on the outside if needed. Blindside tackle experience at that. Runyan was on any knowledgeable draft researchers Tackle board, and only those just ignorance by no research didn't recognize his name and potential when drafted. Again I must stress ignorance is not a bad thing, it merely means not knowing something due to no active seeking of clarity or knowledge.

Jake Hanson while not picked to replace Bulaga directly, was picked to anchor the middle of our line, and with Linsley's bloated contract this year costing us a lot COULD have been picked with the thought of cutting him. OR drafting him ensured a more than capable back up to our current succession plan; the previously mentioned in the thread Patrick (whom was extended last year).

Stepniak is a beast of a man, very strong...but very much a project OL prospect that most likely will see a year or two on the practice squad if all others stay healthy.

So while directly at RT we may have at best side stepped (I'd argue slight regression)...overall the argument is easily valid that we progressed as an offensive line group by numbers and by whom those people are making the numbers up. To what degree? No one can cement that until cleats hit soil for a time.
Do you watch anime? Do you watch superhero movies? Have you ever heard of the Spartans? Numbers don't always balance out the loss of talent. A great field general is worth more than a platoon of soldiers (so to speak). Yes we added numbers but your blind optimism and your loss of touch of reality is astounding. We need to win now with am all time great qb at the helm if Lafleur was truly committed to the run game he would have drafted players that would help the run game like and actually OLman in the he first three rounds and a WR that will keep safeties and dbs and LBs from just crashing the line because Rodgers has no one to throw to besides Adams who they will double team and posters like you hav no solution to us becoming a one dimensional team. You see the 49ners did it the right way. Lafleur and Gute are going about it the wrong way and when it becomes apparent that their approach has backfired and we stink up the joint I will come back here and laugh the biggest laugh because I was right but I will also be sad because we will suck. Have you ever heard of quality over quantity? I'll take one good OLman over three below average OLmen!

TornSolace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think regardless of keeping Jones, Jamaal is gone. His touches actually went down from 2018 to 2019, but his receptions went up. I think Degura will be taking a lot of those short field receptions off of the flat routes.
Deguara is a blocking TE

TornSolace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your "opinion" is that all these guys are backups. Well here are a few of my "opinions". Packers like a RB by committee backfield, as the season moved on in 2019, A Jones took over the majority of the snaps after J Williams concussion. The Packers like Dillon's size, and it's in my "opinion", that is why they drafted him. My "opinion" is Dillon will play more snaps than J Williams, and if A Jones gets injured, my "opinion" is Dillon will be the new "starter". My "opinion" is Deguara will be the "starting" FB/H-back, and will play at least 40% of the offensive snaps this season. As for Love, who says he doesn't see the field in 2-4 years. Aaron has been injured and missed numerous games the past 5 seasons, so my "opinion" is he sees the field in the next 2 years because of that reason. Ex-Dallas Cowboys HC Jimmy Johnson once said that everyone knows the starting QB is the most important player on the team, but who is the 2nd most important player on the team? After a few moments of nobody speaking up, he said "the backup QB". When is the last time the Packers had a "decent" backup QB? Probably Matt Flynn, and before that it was probably Aaron Rodgers, and when Aaron was "actually" the backup QB, he really wasn't that good. Aaron started showing some promise in year 3, which is why you draft a guy now, especially when you have a great QB for a few more years, so you can develop them.

Saying our HC and GM don't care about the next 3 yrs is ignorant at best. They are there to win, their job depends on it, and they drafted guys that "they" feel will help fulfill what they want to do. They don't give 2 ***** about what you or I want them to do, as they shouldn't, it is their decision, and their decision only. I honestly believe that the 32 team draft board didn't fall in their favor, and they just couldn't catch a break getting guys they may have wanted after taking Love in the 1st rd. But who could have predicted that would happen/ The biggest disappointment for me was the team not drafting a run stuffing DL in this draft. Rumors were that they liked Ross Blacklock, Marlon Davidson and Raekwon Davis, but they were drafted #40, #47, and #56...we picked #62. Sure, they could have over drafted another DL, but if they did, they probably would have just been a "backup" so I guess that wouldn't have been good either.

Would I have liked a WR, yes, but by the time the Packers picked at #62, 13 WR's had already been drafted, Mims the last one at #59. I honestly think if Mims was still there, or even TE Cole Kmet, Gute would drafted one of them, as they were both mentioned to be high on their board. At that point, it was basically over for WR. Sure, there were a few guys that were fringe 3rd rd guys left on the board, but do you want to overdraft a WR in the 2nd, and have them be a "backup" just to draft a WR? Obviously at that point Dillon was the higher rated player on their board over what WR's were left, so they took Dillon. My next WR that in my "opinion" would be good for the Packers was Devin Duvernay, and was hoping he would make it to pick #96... and of course he was drafted at #92... After that, their next pick was #175 in the 5th rd.... basically, in my "opinion" it was game set match at this point, aside for maybe one other guy who I liked as a 5th rd option... that in my "opinion" would fit what we like to do...that guy was John Hightower.... and of course, once again, he was drafted at #168. Regardless, anyone after Rd. 4 that the Packers would have drafted at WR, was in my "opinion", going to be a "backup", so did it really matter that we drafted a WR anymore in the draft? To me, the answer is no, and that's my "opinion" and I'm sticking to it.
How has that running back by committee worked out for us in the last 5 years? I'll answer that besides last year not very good. Aaron Rodgers only got hurt twice in his career and both time were because he was running for his life and the other year he was hurt and still played (the disrespect is real) and you are delusional at best if you think picking up three linemen in the 6th round is gearing up for win now mode that is a future love plain and simple if they really cared about the next three years then they would have picked players that would help us for those three years. Gute and Lafleur should care what the fans thinks because if this blows up in their face the fan base will run them out of town! Its apparent if they actually cared about the next three years they would have fixed our holes in the team.

Answer me this if nothing else how are we going to stop the run? Our run defense was horrible and we gave up 186 yards rushing to San Fran BEFORE CONTACT and 300 yards rushing total please tell me how our defense that has gotten worse going to stop that?
And if our run game gets shut down who is Rodgers going to pass to besides Adams who will be double covered with the rest of the opposing defense crashing the line because they know wee can't pass the ball so they shut down the run?

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think your grasp on who the Packers drafted is hazy at best and your grasp in reality is also strained because our OL has gotten worse and it seems to me that that you think a 6th round OL is a good replacement for a starting OL instead of you know drafting a better prospect at the position within the first three rounds
Do you watch anime? Do you watch superhero movies? Have you ever heard of the Spartans? Numbers don't always balance out the loss of talent. A great field general is worth more than a platoon of soldiers (so to speak). Yes we added numbers but your blind optimism and your loss of touch of reality is astounding. We need to win now with am all time great qb at the helm if Lafleur was truly committed to the run game he would have drafted players that would help the run game like and actually OLman in the he first three rounds and a WR that will keep safeties and dbs and LBs from just crashing the line because Rodgers has no one to throw to besides Adams who they will double team and posters like you hav no solution to us becoming a one dimensional team. You see the 49ners did it the right way. Lafleur and Gute are going about it the wrong way and when it becomes apparent that their approach has backfired and we stink up the joint I will come back here and laugh the biggest laugh because I was right but I will also be sad because we will suck. Have you ever heard of quality over quantity? I'll take one good OLman over three below average OLmen!

And yet you stayed quite far from the specific discussion of the OL and specifically the claim that we have done nothing to respond to Bulaga walking....

We literally went out and signed a proven and graded rather well RT that instantly has proven more than any RT we could have drafted has in the NFL...also 13-3 in no universe qualified as sucking.

TornSolace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And yet you stayed quite far from the specific discussion of the OL and specifically the claim that we have done nothing to respond to Bulaga walking....

We literally went out and signed a proven and graded rather well RT that instantly has proven more than any RT we could have drafted has in the NFL...also 13-3 in no universe qualified as sucking.
I may have expanded the topic but I definitely covered the OL in my last post

Once again unlike you I don't consider replacing an all pro tackle with the shopkeeper down the street is a good replacement we could have gotten a much higher graded OL in the third round and I would have been happy and thatmove would be seen as and adequate prospect to replace bulaga

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Interesting take, I hope he's right.

Thanks for sharing it.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kamal for sure was a beast in 2018...a BEAST. He claims he feels healthy and is 100% on pace for being ready....he's that Day 3 guy that has potential...excited to see which way it goes.

Members online

Latest posts