2020 Roster Additions

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kamal for sure was a beast in 2018...a BEAST. He claims he feels healthy and is 100% on pace for being ready....he's that Day 3 guy that has potential...excited to see which way it goes.
Right?! Based on his 2018 tape, he would've been drafted at least in the 3rd round (2nd if teams are desperate), looked like the linebacker we wanted Burks to be.

2019 tape is just a different story... And it scares me. Are we going to get the 2018 Martin or the 2019? It seems like 2019, he gained a lot of weight to play mike linebacker, in addition to relaying in the defense and making sure everyone is lined up correctly.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People are excited for Dillon, and I am as well, but a RB who doesn't run good routes and has unknown hands isn't a guarantee to be an elite RB in the NFL, and when you draft a guy at RB in the second round, it had darn well turn out to be a truly elite RB since you only have the guy for 4 years.
^ I agree with you that his catching ability is currently unknown (which is why my pro comp for Dillion was James Conner). However, when targeted Dillion looked great catching, similar to Conner. Because of that unknown I had Dillion in the 3rd round.
I also agree with Dantes that Dillion wasn't given much opportunities to run routes or catch. Packers scouts would say Dillion can do it.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It always amazes me that the people who are so quick to label someone else an idiot are the same people who would most benefit from putting as much distance between that word and themselves.
you get a "winner rating from me and now a LOL. Well done.

Jones is the better RB, taking him off the field to give Dillon the ball (outside of short-yardage and goaline) would hurt the team. Fact is that Jones is better than 25 other starting RBs in the league so I'm not saying Dillon is no good, just that taking Jones off the field hurts the offense; especially when Jones is now the second best receiver on the team.

People are excited for Dillon, and I am as well, but a RB who doesn't run good routes and has unknown hands isn't a guarantee to be an elite RB in the NFL, and when you draft a guy at RB in the second round, it had darn well turn out to be a truly elite RB since you only have the guy for 4 years.
Aaron Jones is not very good weapon. Dillon is a much better weapon. At least that's the way it works for WRs. Everything after the 5th round is not a weapon.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Jones is not very good weapon. Dillon is a much better weapon. At least that's the way it works for WRs. Everything after the 5th round is not a weapon.

Uh, what? I'm hoping that is sarcasm. It's also much easier to draft great RBs later in the draft than great receivers.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Uh, what? I'm hoping that is sarcasm. It's also much easier to draft great RBs later in the draft than great receivers.
The other thread is how Rodgers' career has been screwed over by a lack of talent at WR because we have never spent a 1st round pick on one.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The other thread is how Rodgers' career has been screwed over by a lack of talent at WR because we have never spent a 1st round pick on one.

The Packers HAVE relied almost entirely on Rodgers elevating receivers. They've spent, I think, three second round picks on receivers during his tenure (Jordy, Cobb, and Davante)? I don't really put much stock into that meme going around about 1st round receivers, but as Rodgers has gotten older and needed more help, he's actually gotten less.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers HAVE relied almost entirely on Rodgers elevating receivers. They've spent, I think, three second round picks on receivers during his tenure (Jordy, Cobb, and Davante)? I don't really put much stock into that meme going around about 1st round receivers, but as Rodgers has gotten older and needed more help, he's actually gotten less.
So why can't we help him by getting a running game? Because we haven't spent high picks proves we haven't had talent at the position.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So why can't we help him by getting a running game? Because we haven't spent high picks proves we haven't had talent at the position.

Because the Packers already had a very good RB? Because the guy they drafted already has 854 carries and doesn't really fit the kind of RB that is very successful in today's NFL (I'm not saying he can't be successful, just that outside of Henry, this kind of RB doesn't light it up in the NFL).

Regarding talent at the receiver position, I would say 2016 was the last season the Packers really had more than 1 good NFL receiver on the roster. 2017 was a very good Davante and obviously aging Jordy and Cobb; 2018 and 2019 were just plain painful. As I said, the main issue is that as Rodgers has needed more help, he's pretty much gotten less.

Reaction score
Some really good thoughts through here. Nice to see a rational discussion.

After reading these I just got this gut feeling like we are 1 stellar player from making that next sizable leap forward. I know we’re thin in cap space if we want to resign some contract year players earlier and feel good about it.

Does anyone else feel like we are that 1-2 substantial players away from a Championship? My gut tells me we’re really, really close. But at least 1 significant veteran player shy.

What about a trade deal? It would make sense to me (albeit in my limited nfl knowledge capacity) to try to work a position trade with another team. We can’t be the only ones in a position where we are feeling like there’s 1-2 position groups that could use veteran reinforcement. I see GB’s most suitable option for a trade at OG, #2RB or Center. I love Linsley, but his seems most likely to get us a substantial player in return at a position of weakness (because he is a substantial player himself). I would go DT personally, I think it’s our most glaring hole.

TornSolace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And yet you stayed quite far from the specific discussion of the OL and specifically the claim that we have done nothing to respond to Bulaga walking....

We literally went out and signed a proven and graded rather well RT that instantly has proven more than any RT we could have drafted has in the NFL...also 13-3 in no universe qualified as sucking.

I want what you are drinking because I had addressed the OL a couple of times. And you keep saying graded 1. It's an arbitrary grade 2. Everybody has a grade 3. If he graded so well he wouldn't have still been on the board in the 6th round 4. You are funny to think a 6th round draft pick is a suitable prospect to replace an all prop tackle

TornSolace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some really good thoughts through here. Nice to see a rational discussion.

After reading these I just got this gut feeling like we are 1 stellar player from making that next sizable leap forward. I know we’re thin in cap space if we want to resign some contract year players earlier and feel good about it.

Does anyone else feel like we are that 1-2 substantial players away from a Championship? My gut tells me we’re really, really close. But at least 1 significant veteran player shy.

What about a trade deal? It would make sense to me (albeit in my limited nfl knowledge capacity) to try to work a position trade with another team. We can’t be the only ones in a position where we are feeling like there’s 1-2 position groups that could use veteran reinforcement. I see GB’s most suitable option for a trade at OG, #2RB or Center. I love Linsley, but his seems most likely to get us a substantial player in return at a position of weakness (because he is a substantial player himself). I would go DT personally, I think it’s our most glaring hole.

You are really optimistic but as it stands gute and Lafleur have made this team significantly worse because they want their guy love to take over and push Rodgers out of the door and have done nothing to make this team better we are further away from a Superbowl. They have effectively closed the Packers window for a ring and we will now fall to the bottom of the NFC north

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After this week, listening to Daniel Jeremiah and his football draft knowledge, he became maybe my favorite draft personality going forward. Going back 2 weeks ago, I disliked him because he mocked Jordan Love to us in the 1st rd., a month ago, I just thought of him as just another TV draft analyst... so I guess I have come full circle when it comes to Jeremiah, LOL. Today, as I was having a little bit of NFL draft withdrawal, I decided to google if he released a big board or player rankings....well, he did have a top 150 prospects list, and this is what I found about how he felt about our 1st three draft picks, Jordan Love, A J Dillon and Josiah Deguara, before the draft.

Overall Rankings: Jordan Love #24, A.J. Dillon #112, and Josiah Deguara #118
Positional rank: Love was his #4 QB, Dillon was his #9 RB, Deguara was his #4 TE
Drafted by position: Love was the 4th QB drafted, Dillon was the 6th RB drafted , Deguara was the 3rd TE drafted

If the Packers wouldn't have traded up to #26, who is to say another team wouldn't have traded up from the 2nd rd to draft him before pick #30 ( The Colts had picks #33 and #41, drafted Jacob Eason in Rd 4, and only signed Rivers to a 1 yr deal. They may have liked Love, and contemplated trading up to get him.)
If the Packers would have waited to draft Dillon until Rd. 3 Pick #96, all 8 RB's Jeremiah had ranked ahead of Dillon were already drafted.
If the Packers would have waited to draft Deguara until the 5th rd. pick #175 (we traded our #4 pick) 5 other TE's were drafted between picks #96 and #175.... all of them before the end of Rd. 4

The point of this post is, if these are 3 guys the Packers were targeting in the draft, and they would have waited on drafting any of these guys one more Rd/pick than they did, there is a good possibility they wouldn't have gotten any of them. That's why you need to get your guy, if you feel strongly about them.

Jeremiah was a scout for 8 yrs, covering 3 different teams, which is a lot more NFL experience in the field than most Draft analysts. I'm not saying his rankings are gospel, just like I wouldn't say that about anybodies. However, at least he has experience scouting in the NFL, and none of us on this board have any such experience, much less experience as a GM of an NFL team.

Lets sit back, relax, and grade this draft in 3 years to actually see how the Packers really did fare in the 2020 NFL Draft....not the 3 seconds of forming an opinion we decided to give all of these picks, just because we feel we are better at this than the professionals.
Nice analysis, thanks. You used a reliable source, IMO. I felt that Dillon and the TE would have been available later. Now I have doubts.

And while vertical jumps aren’t TDs, Dillon, at 6’ and 247 lbs hitting 41” is otherworldly. Again, these aren’t TDs, but the guy must have amazing lower body strength (and add this to the 4.51 40).

There’s nothing wrong with drafting exceptional, almost freak, athletes. Dillon seems to fit the bill. The run game will use up over 50% of the snaps IMO. Nice to have three studs, and AR, to execute.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want what you are drinking because I had addressed the OL a couple of times. And you keep saying graded 1. It's an arbitrary grade 2. Everybody has a grade 3. If he graded so well he wouldn't have still been on the board in the 6th round 4. You are funny to think a 6th round draft pick is a suitable prospect to replace an all prop tackle

You seem to really struggle understanding that Runyan wasn't selected to replace Bulaga.

Wagner is the Bulaga replacement.

Reaction score
You are really optimistic but as it stands gute and Lafleur have made this team significantly worse because they want their guy love to take over and push Rodgers out of the door and have done nothing to make this team better we are further away from a Superbowl. They have effectively closed the Packers window for a ring and we will now fall to the bottom of the NFC north
Well I might be leaning forward, optimistic in Hope, Faith and Perseverance... but it sure beats the non-believers stance of spending their lives falling back on it’s reciprocal side of Unfounded Fear, Depressing Distrust and Eternal Pessimism. Go and study what this means... “We must be careful what we allow our minds to become slaves to, because we all are 100% slaves to something”.

Now that that double life saving advice has been rendered to you without cost, my friend. Absolutely no way do we finish #4 behind Detroit, Minnesota and the Bears. That’s partly just you being frustrated because you didn’t get your way (your will) this draft, which btw, is only about 1/3 of the way teams improve season to season. GB will go 11-5 range, but with a more robust feel going into the playoffs. I say that because at 13-3
I sensed that we all felt that missing component of success.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Yup just made a thread and headed this way to update, you beat me to it. This stage very cheap and could be solid depth.

Interesting (and sadly) enough, I think it was one of Lily Zhao's last official Tweets on the Packers from her job in Green Bay. She just announced that she is leaving Green Bay. I always enjoyed her insights.

H

HardRightEdge

Well I might be leaning forward, optimistic in Hope, Faith and Perseverance... but it sure beats the non-believers stance of spending their lives falling back on it’s reciprocal side of Unfounded Fear, Depressing Distrust and Eternal Pessimism.
Overstate much? There are other perspectives on the matter. You take the glass, put a ruler on it, and calculate it's content percentage. Neither fear, depression, nor pessimism needs to figure in it at all. For gosh sakes, we're passive observers of this thing. If you view it as more than hobby, or an entertainment over which you have no control, none of that life or death stuff enters into it.
Go and study what this means... “We must be careful what we allow our minds to become slaves to, because we all are 100% slaves to something”.
OK, Oprah. Shallow happy talk like that made her a $1 billion so I guess that should be good enough for us. Conversely, you could be a slave to recklessness, unfounded trust and eternal optimism in the face of contrary facts, so there's that.

Glass, ruler, calculation makes too much sense even if it doesn't sell.

Reaction score
Overstate much? There are other perspectives on the matter. You take the glass, put a ruler on it, and calculate it's content percentage. Neither fear, depression, nor pessimism needs to figure in it at all. For gosh sakes, we're passive observers of this thing. If you view it as more than hobby, or an entertainment over which you have no control, none of that life or death stuff enters into it.

OK, Oprah. Shallow happy talk like that made her a $1 billion so I guess that should be good enough for us. Conversely, you could be a slave to recklessness, unfounded trust and eternal optimism in the face of contrary facts, so there's that.

Glass, ruler, calculation makes too much sense even if it doesn't sell.
You? HRE? accusing anyone of Overstating?
I’m sorry but if that’s not the perfect example of the age old story of the person with a log in their eye trying to see to remove the splinter from another persons eye..there never will be.
Thank You for the chuckle!

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just bumping because many simply don't even know we've added some of these....

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I’ve heard this sound track before when everyone else in the division wins the off season with their exciting free agent signings and their awesome on-paper draft classes. Scouts scout future players, coaches teach players. Always results in the Packers winning the division 5 or 6 times a decade and in the playoffs 7-8 years out of 10.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I’ve heard this sound track before when everyone else in the division wins the off season with their exciting free agent signings and their awesome on-paper draft classes. Scouts scout future players, coaches teach players. Always results in the Packers winning the division 5 or 6 times a decade and in the playoffs 7-8 years out of 10.

Once again, before a single minute of football is played, the sky is falling and Green Bay is doomed, etc.

Gotta love it!

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Once again, before a single minute of football is played, the sky is falling and Green Bay is doomed, etc.

Gotta love it!
Yes, an awful lot of people seem to have a very difficult time grasping the reality that very, very few players come into the league as ready made products. Keep a close eye on our 2nd and 3rd year players. Their continued development will be what makes us championship contenders or not.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, an awful lot of people seem to have a very difficult time grasping the reality that very, very few players come into the league as ready made products. Keep a close eye on our 2nd and 3rd year players. Their continued development will be what makes us championship contenders or not.

Maybe "an awful lot of people" are a good deal smarter than you give them credit for.

Last year at this time, did you believe the Packers would go 13-3 and win a playoff game with a rookie head coach?

Maybe the sky isn't falling....Is that possible?

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Um.....I am clearly not speaking about a draft pick. You are aware of all our free agency signings correct?

Members online

Latest posts