2020 Roster Additions

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to attempt to keep this updated at least weekly...this will track and list the new faces and positions brought in since the end of last year:

OFFENSE

Devin Funchess, WR - Free Agent Signing
Reggie Begelton, WR - Future/Reserve Signing out of CFL
Ricky Wagner, OT - Free Agent Signing
Jordan Love, QB - 2020 Draftee
AJ Dillon, RB - 2020 Draftee
Josiah Deguara, TE - 2020 Draftee
Jon Runyan, OL - 2020 Draftee
Jake Hanson, C - 2020 Draftee
Simon Stepaniak, OL - 2020 Draftee
Jalen Morton, QB - UDFA Signee
Darrell Stewart, WR - UDFA Signee
Jodan Jones, TE/FB - UDFA Signee
Patrick Taylor, RB - UDFA Signee
Zack Johnson, OL - UDFA Signee
Elijah Wellman, FB - Future/Reserve Signing

Counts: 3 WRs, 2 TE, 5 OLs, 2 QB, 1 FB and 2 RB

DEFENSE
Christian Kirksey, ILB
- Free Agent Signing
Gerald Willis, DL - Claimed off waivers
Jamal Davis, OLB - Claimed off waivers
Kamal Martin, ILB - 2020 Draftee
Vernon Scott, S - 2020 Draftee
Jonathan Garvin, EDGE/DL - 2020 Draftee
Frankie Grifin, LB - UDFA Signee
Delontae Scott, EDGE - UDFA Signee
Henry Black, DB - UDFA Signee
Will Sunderland, DB - UDFA Signee
Willington Previlon, DE - UDFA Signee
Kyrs Barnes, LB - UDFA Signee
Stanford Samuels, DB - UDFA Signee
Tipa Galeai, EDGE - UDFA Signee
Marc-Antoine Dequoy, DB - UDFA Signee
Treyvon Hester, DL - Free Agent Signing

Counts: 5 LBs, 6 DL/DE/EDGE and 5 DB

Will wait till tomorrow to add UDFA confirmed.

Last edited:

TornSolace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to attempt to keep this updated at least weekly...this will track and list the new faces and positions brought in since the end of last year:

OFFENSE

Devin Funchess, WR - Free Agent Signing
Reggie Begelton, WR - Free Agent Signing out of CFL
Ricky Wagner, OT - Free Agent Signing
Jordan Love, QB - 2020 Draftee
AJ Dillon, RB - 2020 Draftee
Josiah Deguara, TE - 2020 Draftee
Jon Runyan, OL - 2020 Draftee
Jake Hanson, C - 2020 Draftee
Simon Stepaniak, OL - 2020 Draftee

Counts: 2 WRs, 1 TE, 4 OLs, 1 QB and 1 RB

DEFENSE
Christian Kirksey, ILB
- Free Agent Signing
Gerald Willis, DL - Claimed off waivers
Jamal Davis, OLB - Claimed off waivers
Kamal Martin, ILB - 2020 Draftee
Vernon Scott, S - 2020 Draftee
Jonathan Garvin, EDGE/DL - 2020 Draftee

Counts: 3 LBs, 2 DL/DE and 1 DB

Will wait till tomorrow to add UDFA confirmed.
Let me add something to the your list

Because our GM is an idiot whom I now believe is on the Narcotic, The Green Bay Packers record will be 4-12 and the running game Lafleur is so.commited to will be in the bottom half of the league!

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me add something to the your list

Because our GM is an idiot whom I now believe is on the Narcotic, The Green Bay Packers record will be 4-12 and the running game Lafleur is so.commited to will be in the bottom half of the league!

Want to post ignorance unrelated to a topic in a thread feel free to go elsewhere.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
After this week, listening to Daniel Jeremiah and his football draft knowledge, he became maybe my favorite draft personality going forward. Going back 2 weeks ago, I disliked him because he mocked Jordan Love to us in the 1st rd., a month ago, I just thought of him as just another TV draft analyst... so I guess I have come full circle when it comes to Jeremiah, LOL. Today, as I was having a little bit of NFL draft withdrawal, I decided to google if he released a big board or player rankings....well, he did have a top 150 prospects list, and this is what I found about how he felt about our 1st three draft picks, Jordan Love, A J Dillon and Josiah Deguara, before the draft.

Overall Rankings: Jordan Love #24, A.J. Dillon #112, and Josiah Deguara #118
Positional rank: Love was his #4 QB, Dillon was his #9 RB, Deguara was his #4 TE
Drafted by position: Love was the 4th QB drafted, Dillon was the 6th RB drafted , Deguara was the 3rd TE drafted

If the Packers wouldn't have traded up to #26, who is to say another team wouldn't have traded up from the 2nd rd to draft him before pick #30 ( The Colts had picks #33 and #41, drafted Jacob Eason in Rd 4, and only signed Rivers to a 1 yr deal. They may have liked Love, and contemplated trading up to get him.)
If the Packers would have waited to draft Dillon until Rd. 3 Pick #96, all 8 RB's Jeremiah had ranked ahead of Dillon were already drafted.
If the Packers would have waited to draft Deguara until the 5th rd. pick #175 (we traded our #4 pick) 5 other TE's were drafted between picks #96 and #175.... all of them before the end of Rd. 4

The point of this post is, if these are 3 guys the Packers were targeting in the draft, and they would have waited on drafting any of these guys one more Rd/pick than they did, there is a good possibility they wouldn't have gotten any of them. That's why you need to get your guy, if you feel strongly about them.

Jeremiah was a scout for 8 yrs, covering 3 different teams, which is a lot more NFL experience in the field than most Draft analysts. I'm not saying his rankings are gospel, just like I wouldn't say that about anybodies. However, at least he has experience scouting in the NFL, and none of us on this board have any such experience, much less experience as a GM of an NFL team.

Lets sit back, relax, and grade this draft in 3 years to actually see how the Packers really did fare in the 2020 NFL Draft....not the 3 seconds of forming an opinion we decided to give all of these picks, just because we feel we are better at this than the professionals.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No joke with Dillon and Taylor I'm 100% fine if Jamaal Williams is traded before we lose him in off season anyways. Get a 7th rounder or 6th.

Linsley also could be traded with Patrick, Hanson and Runyan as 3rd backup at Center. Save that cash and resign guys or go get guys.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have added the UDFA seemingly confirmed. As noted elsewhere a few are gonna catch eyes of those that researched the class as surprisingly undrafted guys!

hasamikun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With all the iOL drafted in the 6th round, do you think that a Taylor trade/trade is more likely now?
I think Turner is still a lock for the roster due to his contract and Packers now have plenty of iOL that can replace Taylor and Packers would safe around 4M in cap.
I still see Linsley as a lock for this season. He just is too good imo to let him go. i knwo the cap savings are high but its not worth it imo. Taylor is only 2nd sring anyways

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With all the iOL drafted in the 6th round, do you think that a Taylor trade/trade is more likely now?
I think Turner is still a lock for the roster due to his contract and Packers now have plenty of iOL that can replace Taylor and Packers would safe around 4M in cap.
I still see Linsley as a lock for this season. He just is too good imo to let him go. i knwo the cap savings are high but its not worth it imo. Taylor is only 2nd sring anyways

With Patrick extension the second I saw one of my personal favorite Centers in our blocking scheme come off the board to us (Hanson) I instantly said see ya to Linsley. We even more so now can absorb losing him and that is a serious amount of change around $8.5M to use towards extensions or FAs.

Taylor loss could also be absorbed...Runyan while starting at LT for Michigan projects due to measureables to be a swing interior guy that can fill in at Tackle. Stepniak I think is a practice squad guy, albeit a RIDICULOUSLY strong one.

TornSolace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Patrick extension the second I saw one of my personal favorite Centers in our blocking scheme come off the board to us (Hanson) I instantly said see ya to Linsley. We even more so now can absorb losing him and that is a serious amount of change around $8.5M to use towards extensions or FAs.

Taylor loss could also be absorbed...Runyan while starting at LT for Michigan projects due to measureables to be a swing interior guy that can fill in at Tackle. Stepniak I think is a practice squad guy, albeit a RIDICULOUSLY strong one.
Nothing you just said gives me any confidence. Let me get this straight we have lost our best OL and have done nothing to replace him not only that but you want to get rid of even more proven veterans and replace them with a 6th rounder and a practice squad player? Boy am I glad you aren't our GM

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nothing you just said gives me any confidence. Let me get this straight we have lost our best OL and have done nothing to replace him not only that but you want to get rid of even more proven veterans and replace them with a 6th rounder and a practice squad player? Boy am I glad you aren't our GM

Sorry, but someone saying nothing was done post-Bulaga departure doesn't deserve an in depth response. Care to discuss to the degree of replacement or debate what we could or could not absorb possibly I'm all game, but gotta be on the same starting point and we are not.

TornSolace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After this week, listening to Daniel Jeremiah and his football draft knowledge, he became maybe my favorite draft personality going forward. Going back 2 weeks ago, I disliked him because he mocked Jordan Love to us in the 1st rd., a month ago, I just thought of him as just another TV draft analyst... so I guess I have come full circle when it comes to Jeremiah, LOL. Today, as I was having a little bit of NFL draft withdrawal, I decided to google if he released a big board or player rankings....well, he did have a top 150 prospects list, and this is what I found about how he felt about our 1st three draft picks, Jordan Love, A J Dillon and Josiah Deguara, before the draft.

Overall Rankings: Jordan Love #24, A.J. Dillon #112, and Josiah Deguara #118
Positional rank: Love was his #4 QB, Dillon was his #9 RB, Deguara was his #4 TE
Drafted by position: Love was the 4th QB drafted, Dillon was the 6th RB drafted , Deguara was the 2nd TE drafted

If the Packers wouldn't have traded up to #26, who is to say another team wouldn't have traded up from the 2nd rd to draft him before pick #30 ( The Colts had picks #33 and #41, drafted Jacob Eason in Rd 4, and only signed Rivers to a 1 yr deal. They may have liked Love, and contemplated trading up to get him.)
If the Packers would have waited to draft Dillon until Rd. 3 Pick #96, all 8 RB's Jeremiah had ranked ahead of Dillon were already drafted.
If the Packers would have waited to draft Deguara until the 5th rd. pick #175 (we traded our #4 pick) 5 other TE's were drafted between picks #96 and #175.... all of them before the end of Rd. 4

The point of this post is, if these are 3 guys the Packers were targeting in the draft, and they would have waited on drafting any of these guys one more Rd/pick than they did, there is a good possibility they wouldn't have gotten any of them. That's why you need to get your guy, if you feel strongly about them.

Jeremiah was a scout for 8 yrs, covering 3 different teams, which is a lot more NFL experience in the field than most Draft analysts. I'm not saying his rankings are gospel, just like I wouldn't say that about anybodies. However, at least he has experience scouting in the NFL, and none of us on this board have any such experience, much less experience as a GM of an NFL team.

Lets sit back, relax, and grade this draft in 3 years to actually see how the Packers really did fare in the 2020 NFL Draft....not the 3 seconds of forming an opinion we decided to give all of these picks, just because we feel we are better at this than the professionals.
But they still picked backups I don't care if where they were in the draft or if they were our targets. I don't think anybody they drafted are starting quality including love who at minimum won't see the field for two seasons and at maximum four seasons either way you look at it the fact is that gute and Lafleur don't care about the next three seasons

TornSolace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry, but someone saying nothing was done post-Bulaga departure doesn't deserve an in depth response. Care to discuss to the degree of replacement or debate what we could or could not absorb possibly I'm all game, but gotta be on the same starting point and we are not.
You are arguing semantics and people your argue semantics are best to not saying anything at all. If you consider getting rid of a pro bowl all pro tackle and replacing him with a 6th round draft pick a "replacement" then I need a swig of the stuff your are over there guzzling because it sounds tasty

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are arguing semantics and people your argue semantics are best to not saying anything at all. If you consider getting rid of a pro bowl all pro tackle and replacing him with a 6th round draft pick a "replacement" then I need a swig of the stuff your are over there guzzling because it sounds tasty

LOL you truly have no clue to the status of the roster do you? Encourage you to garner a full grasp of it first. I simply have grown weary of having to inform folks left and right lately...perhaps another will assist you.

H

HardRightEdge

That depends. Taylor filled in adequately for Bakhtiari for a couple of games a couple of years back. Absent him, the only guy on this roster who would be a backup candidate is Runyan. Otherwise, maybe Jenkins in a sub-optimal line shuffle as when Taylor was plugged in there. With Bakhtiari playing through a dodgy back last season, it's a little more important than in previous years.

So, there's your options.

TornSolace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL you truly have no clue to the status of the roster do you? Encourage you to garner a full grasp of it first. I simply have grown weary of having to inform folks left and right lately...perhaps another will assist you.
I think your grasp on who the Packers drafted is hazy at best and your grasp in reality is also strained because our OL has gotten worse and it seems to me that that you think a 6th round OL is a good replacement for a starting OL instead of you know drafting a better prospect at the position within the first three rounds

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think your grasp on who the Packers drafted is hazy at best and your grasp in reality is also strained because our OL has gotten worse and it seems to me that that you think a 6th round OL is a good replacement for a starting OL instead of you know drafting a better prospect at the position within the first three rounds

Fine as I cannot stand ignorance when given the chance to not be.

Yes, as a whole I would argue the Offensive Line at best completed a lateral move prior to the draft in the losing of Bryan Bulaga and the signing of Ricky Wagner. While by some metrics Wagner has graded very well, he is not Bulaga level, however also if one researches has proven to be an above average RT in the league for quite a few years. Your claim of fact that we did nothing to replace Bulaga is utterly false, we have. To what degree that replacement is valued when weighted against Bulaga is obviously a discussion both sides would need to speculate on; personally it was as a slight downgrade given their age, performance and contract cost vs expected production.

Now we leave the draft with a long term Michigan LT for years, that due to slightly shorter arms than the normal projects as a Guard switch at the next level...but with a lot of experience on the outside if needed. Blindside tackle experience at that. Runyan was on any knowledgeable draft researchers Tackle board, and only those just ignorance by no research didn't recognize his name and potential when drafted. Again I must stress ignorance is not a bad thing, it merely means not knowing something due to no active seeking of clarity or knowledge.

Jake Hanson while not picked to replace Bulaga directly, was picked to anchor the middle of our line, and with Linsley's bloated contract this year costing us a lot COULD have been picked with the thought of cutting him. OR drafting him ensured a more than capable back up to our current succession plan; the previously mentioned in the thread Patrick (whom was extended last year).

Stepniak is a beast of a man, very strong...but very much a project OL prospect that most likely will see a year or two on the practice squad if all others stay healthy.

So while directly at RT we may have at best side stepped (I'd argue slight regression)...overall the argument is easily valid that we progressed as an offensive line group by numbers and by whom those people are making the numbers up. To what degree? No one can cement that until cleats hit soil for a time.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Bulaga hasn't been an All-Pro OT if I recall correctly.

Furthermore, we aren't replacing him with a 6th round pick. Did you forget GB signed Wagner?

Call it semantics, I call it accuracy.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
But they still picked backups I don't care if where they were in the draft or if they were our targets. I don't think anybody they drafted are starting quality including love who at minimum won't see the field for two seasons and at maximum four seasons either way you look at it the fact is that gute and Lafleur don't care about the next three seasons

Your "opinion" is that all these guys are backups. Well here are a few of my "opinions". Packers like a RB by committee backfield, as the season moved on in 2019, A Jones took over the majority of the snaps after J Williams concussion. The Packers like Dillon's size, and it's in my "opinion", that is why they drafted him. My "opinion" is Dillon will play more snaps than J Williams, and if A Jones gets injured, my "opinion" is Dillon will be the new "starter". My "opinion" is Deguara will be the "starting" FB/H-back, and will play at least 40% of the offensive snaps this season. As for Love, who says he doesn't see the field in 2-4 years. Aaron has been injured and missed numerous games the past 5 seasons, so my "opinion" is he sees the field in the next 2 years because of that reason. Ex-Dallas Cowboys HC Jimmy Johnson once said that everyone knows the starting QB is the most important player on the team, but who is the 2nd most important player on the team? After a few moments of nobody speaking up, he said "the backup QB". When is the last time the Packers had a "decent" backup QB? Probably Matt Flynn, and before that it was probably Aaron Rodgers, and when Aaron was "actually" the backup QB, he really wasn't that good. Aaron started showing some promise in year 3, which is why you draft a guy now, especially when you have a great QB for a few more years, so you can develop them.

Saying our HC and GM don't care about the next 3 yrs is ignorant at best. They are there to win, their job depends on it, and they drafted guys that "they" feel will help fulfill what they want to do. They don't give 2 ***** about what you or I want them to do, as they shouldn't, it is their decision, and their decision only. I honestly believe that the 32 team draft board didn't fall in their favor, and they just couldn't catch a break getting guys they may have wanted after taking Love in the 1st rd. But who could have predicted that would happen/ The biggest disappointment for me was the team not drafting a run stuffing DL in this draft. Rumors were that they liked Ross Blacklock, Marlon Davidson and Raekwon Davis, but they were drafted #40, #47, and #56...we picked #62. Sure, they could have over drafted another DL, but if they did, they probably would have just been a "backup" so I guess that wouldn't have been good either.

Would I have liked a WR, yes, but by the time the Packers picked at #62, 13 WR's had already been drafted, Mims the last one at #59. I honestly think if Mims was still there, or even TE Cole Kmet, Gute would drafted one of them, as they were both mentioned to be high on their board. At that point, it was basically over for WR. Sure, there were a few guys that were fringe 3rd rd guys left on the board, but do you want to overdraft a WR in the 2nd, and have them be a "backup" just to draft a WR? Obviously at that point Dillon was the higher rated player on their board over what WR's were left, so they took Dillon. My next WR that in my "opinion" would be good for the Packers was Devin Duvernay, and was hoping he would make it to pick #96... and of course he was drafted at #92... After that, their next pick was #175 in the 5th rd.... basically, in my "opinion" it was game set match at this point, aside for maybe one other guy who I liked as a 5th rd option... that in my "opinion" would fit what we like to do...that guy was John Hightower.... and of course, once again, he was drafted at #168. Regardless, anyone after Rd. 4 that the Packers would have drafted at WR, was in my "opinion", going to be a "backup", so did it really matter that we drafted a WR anymore in the draft? To me, the answer is no, and that's my "opinion" and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
No joke with Dillon and Taylor I'm 100% fine if Jamaal Williams is traded before we lose him in off season anyways. Get a 7th rounder or 6th.

Linsley also could be traded with Patrick, Hanson and Runyan as 3rd backup at Center. Save that cash and resign guys or go get guys.
I was thinking along the same line with Jamaal as far as trading him. Not because I dislike him, but I think he had substantial value for a teams depth at RB. He had a very solid year in 2019 and I see him as a solid #2 for the majority of teams out there. My only contention is to use him in trade for our position of need. We also have three comp picks that we could use one as a bargaining chip to land a player. We could use a veteran DT or a ILB or even a CB.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
I was thinking along the same line with Jamaal as far as trading him. Not because I dislike him, but I think he had substantial value for a teams depth at RB. He had a very solid year in 2019 and I see him as a solid #2 for the majority of teams out there.

With the addition of Dillon, Jamaal is probably 3rd on the depth chart. If the Packers plan on resigning Jones, then I would agree with trading Williams. If you think Jones will be too expensive, and they aren't willing to pay him, I would probably keep Jamaal and try to resign him to a decent team friendly deal next off-season. I would hate to lose both guys, but signing both, at this point, seems pretty far-fetched.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the addition of Dillon, Jamaal is probably 3rd on the depth chart. If the Packers plan on resigning Jones, then I would agree with trading Williams. If you think Jones will be too expensive, and they aren't willing to pay him, I would probably keep Jamaal and try to resign him to a decent team friendly deal next off-season. I would hate to lose both guys, but signing both, at this point, seems pretty far-fetched.

Precisely my thoughts. Dillon and Taylor do actually make it "comfortable" for Green Bay to go either direction. We will not see a 2021 season with neither Jones or J Williams...but I am nearly 100% one will be gone. IF Green Bay is leaning towards being willing to throw big money at Aaron, the Dillon and Taylor pick ups make even more sense and trading Jamaal is the only smart thing - spend big money on one guy, rest on rookie deals....OR if Jones wants more than a team should do in this era on a RB...then we use him and lose him and resign Jamaal.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I think regardless of keeping Jones, Jamaal is gone. His touches actually went down from 2018 to 2019, but his receptions went up. I think Degura will be taking a lot of those short field receptions off of the flat routes.

Members online

Latest posts