When or Should We fire TT?

• After this Year

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • Give him another Year

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Ha! As if Mark Murphy has the balls to do that?

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • TT until Aaron Rodgers career is wasted away

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I like him, let's keep him

Votes: 42 51.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How can you call asking for TT to be replaced ridiculous and then state the exact issue the Packers face with TT knowing he will never change?

I am not being sarcastic. You state very well the exact issue I have with TT.
Rodgers sometimes holds onto the ball too long, most would agree with that. It would be just as stupid to replace AR because of that as it would to replace TT because of his short-coming.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
How can you call asking for TT to be replaced ridiculous and then state the exact issue the Packers face with TT knowing he will never change?

I am not being sarcastic. You state very well the exact issue I have with TT.

What do you mean by TT "will never change?"

Do you replace TT only because he doesn't do what most fans want him to do in the FA dept.? I being one of those fans, who have stated many times I wish he did more in the FA dept. don't think you replace him because he doesn't. TT does participate in the FA market, just not as much as some think he should.

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-p...kers-free-agent-history-under-gm-ted-thompson

Does everyone here see the Packers going downhill under TT's watch? Will getting Nelson, Barrington, Montgomery and a few other players back improve the 2016 version of the current Packers? I like our current roster and think we have a lot of young talent. Are there some holes that need filling? Yes, but that is what the draft is for and the occasional FA signing.

The other thing that TT along with Russ Ball do behind the scenes that some people don't pay attention to, is manage our cap. The way they do it, by keeping our own and not letting it get top heavy with an aging roster is very impressive.

Last edited:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Note the top link lists 11 and 12 as TTs worst drafts, I agree wholeheartedly. I'm surprised he ranked 13 as highly as he did but that ranking might change if the writer re ranked those seasons when this season is finished.

Another thought, TT's best two drafts came on years where he was able to pick without worrying about needs. In 05 he picked the BVA which was Rodgers and then again in 08 he went BVA with Nelson. His worst two drafts he tried to fill glaring needs with his first round picks and failed both times, which is how those types of selections usually shake out.

In the bottom link the writer notes how the fans were right about Harrell, good thing the fans were dead wrong on Rodgers Jennings Matthews Nelson and Collins too.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I guess my response to these ridiculous assertions made by op is... AND REPLACE HIM WITH WHO?

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we kept score I'd rate TTs top BVA motivated picks(first rounders where BVA won out) as a success rating of 2/3. For need based drafting I'd give him 2/5 and 2. I figure Bulaga and Hawk are pushes.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers were an epic meltdown away from the Super Bowl last season and also defeated the champions earlier in the year.

It's ridiculous to suggest we should get rid of a GM who built a team that good just a year ago.

Waiting until the season is actually over to evaluate him would make sense too.

OK, lock the thread. Certainly don't post to it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
One other thing that TT needs to get some credit for, is his ability to find and sign good undrafted free agents, ones like Sam Shields. The Packers seem to be close to the top every year in UDFA's on their roster as well as snaps played in the season.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One other thing that TT needs to get some credit for, is his ability to find and sign good undrafted free agents, ones like Sam Shields. The Packers seem to be close to the top every year in UDFA's on their roster as well as snaps played in the season.

Other than Shields, who has made an impact? Tramon? Who else?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Other than Shields, who has made an impact? Tramon? Who else?

I know you said "impact", I just said "good" in the way of "undrafted good". I'm not going to argue that any of the following will ever make the HOF, but they at one time or another were contributors. Also, removing the need to draft, trade or FA sign someone else in their spot.

Pennel, Banjo, Richardson, Barclay, Bush, Gunter, Boykin, Zombo....to name a few and just going back to 2010.

Tramon and Kuhn were both UDFA, but originally signed by other teams.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know you said "impact", I just said "good" in the way of "undrafted good". I'm not going to argue that any of the following will ever make the HOF, but they at one time or another were contributors. Also, removing the need to draft, trade or FA sign someone else in their spot.

Pennel, Banjo, Richardson, Barclay, Bush, Gunter, Boykin, Zombo....to name a few and just going back to 2010.

Tramon and Kuhn were both UDFA, but originally signed by other teams.

Fair enough.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some of you have overhyped TT for so long it's not even worth arguing... But I will anyways. My stance on him hasn't changed. Wolfe was a better GM and already Schneider is a better GM. You'd never know these guys are cut from the same clothe. Wolfe went to two straight SBs ,and guess what?? So did Scheider. Teddy hasn't even gone to two straight NFC championship games.

Last edited:

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some of you have overhyped TT for so long it's not even worth arguing... But I will anyways. My stance on him hasn't changed. Wolfe was a better GM and already Schneider is a better GM. You'd never know these guys are cut from the same clothe. Wolfe went to two straight SBs ,and guess what?? So did Scheider. Teddy hasn't even gone to two straight NFC championship games.
Is that more his fault, or McCarthy's?

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Under Ron Wolf the Packers went to 3 NFC championship games. Under TT they have also gone to 3. Why would the consecutive nature matter? If Bostic doesn't take the ball from Jordy their numbers are identical. Not sure on overall winning percentages. If the Packers win the Super Bowl this year is TT now better than wolf?

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT has left the team with deep holes that are an Achilles heel. This year it's the TE position. In other years it has been ILB or safety. The lack of speed at the TE position is a joke. Rick Rodgers is slow as molasses. I agree he shouldn't reach and draft for need all the time but he could still have upgraded the position by signing ANY free agent! TT has his strengths but his weaknesses are very serious. I would love to see John Schneid er back in Green Bay. TT won't fix the glaring weaknesses. TT is like a mechanic who fixes the transmission but gives you the car back with shoddy sterring. Time for him to retire.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Under Ron Wolf the Packers went to 3 NFC championship games. Under TT they have also gone to 3. Why would the consecutive nature matter? If Bostic doesn't take the ball from Jordy their numbers are identical. Not sure on overall winning percentages. If the Packers win the Super Bowl this year is TT now better than wolf?

Someone else said it only counts when its in a row

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT has left the team with deep holes that are an Achilles heel. This year it's the TE position. In other years it has been ILB or safety. The lack of speed at the TE position is a joke. Rick Rodgers is slow as molasses. I agree he shouldn't reach and draft for need all the time but he could still have upgraded the position by signing ANY free agent! TT has his strengths but his weaknesses are very serious. I would love to see John Schneid er back in Green Bay. TT won't fix the glaring weaknesses. TT is like a mechanic who fixes the transmission but gives you the car back with shoddy sterring. Time for him to retire.

So much to respond to but the te part is a part I actually agree. It needs to be upgraded. The problem was 2015 was a poor fa group. Three guys got way too much in graham, Thomas, and clay. The first two vastly under performed. I have no idea how clay did. I guess they missed on Ben watson

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/12/25/2015-free-agents-tight-ends/

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK, lock the thread. Certainly don't post to it.

Now that I think about it, I'm annoyed with myself for spending time to argue why we shouldn't get rid of the one of the league's best GMs.

Could be worse though, considering I once got sucked into an argument with someone who thought the Earth is flat.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I know his name has been kicked around for awhile and he even has a stipulation in his contract with the Seahawks that if GB offers him the job he can get out, but with all the success that he has had in Seattle, do you really see him taking the lateral move?

I think Schneider would love to become the Packers GM.

I am very interested to see how Seattle does with Russell Wilson getting a huge contract. At some point they will have to make cap decisions they were saved from making due to his small salary. I think I read his salary jumps 10 million next year

Wilson signed a four-year, $87.6 million extension last offseason. The Seahawks are in a similar cap situation as the Packers going forward although they use all available methods to acquire talent.

But how much of that is left now that we've signed Daniels to a big deal?

The Packers have approximately $7 million in cap space left for this season. With them being allowed to roll over that amount they will have $33 million in cap space next offseason.

I think he got lucky that he fell that far, it took balls to take him though absolutely. He certainly wasn't lucky AR turned into what he has though, that I completely disagree with. He knew what Rodgers was.

I'm not completely sure Thompson was convinced Rodgers would turn into an elite starter. How do you explain him wasting a second-round pick in 2008 on Brohm as well as adding another QB in Flynn during that draft???

There is absolutely no way to know what would have happened if Rodgers wasn't a Packer. You're apparently assuming everything else would have been the same and that obviously wouldn't have been the case.

I agree there's no way of knowing what would have happened if Rodgers hasn't dropped to the Packers in the draft but I have a hard time believing Thompson would have changed his ways and used free agency and trades to acquire talent. With a mediocre QB his draft and develop only system would have been headed for failure.

They're close to the top of snaps played by rookies and undrafted free agents because they don't add any other veterans like all other teams.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The better question to ask is: "Where would the Packers be today if TT had not been hired? That is, if you all want to play the "what if" games.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Bottom line for me, I have been a very happy Packer fan under both Ron Wolf and Ted Thompson's management of the team. Throw in Mike Sherman and the list of GM's before Wolf as a reality check of what can happen under mismanagement and it makes both Wolf and TT look just that much better.

Could TT sign a few more FA's? Sure. Could those FA's make the Packers better? Sure. But, those FA's could also not make the Packers better on the field or in regards to the big cap picture (not just this years cap, but future caps).

Members online

Latest posts