When or Should We fire TT?

• After this Year

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • Give him another Year

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Ha! As if Mark Murphy has the balls to do that?

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • TT until Aaron Rodgers career is wasted away

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I like him, let's keep him

Votes: 42 51.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Taking a look at Trevathan's ($6.125 million average) and Ladarius Green's ($5 million per season) contracts, two players who would have filled huge needs for the Packers, I don't think the Bears or Steelers overpaid to sign them. Especially when considering how much money Thompson spent on re-signing Crosby and Perry.

So, checking back in . . .

CaptainWIMM vrs TT

GM CptWIMM
Sign Trevathan - 21 total tackles has missed 2 games
Sign Ladarius Green - 0 receptions no snaps.
Keep Sitton - Bears really suck
Perry - let him go to save money for Green and Trevathan
Uses all tools available to a GM

TT
Ryan (29) and Martinez (21) in one less possible game.
Jared Cook 6 rec 53 yds
Talyor starting guard - Packers OL the best in many years, Taylor as good as Sitton so far, younger, and far cheaper.
Doesn't know about all the tools available as a GM
Signed Perry - Leading the Packers in sacks with 4.5
Has an extra $11.5M per year going forward more than the CaptainWIMM based on these moves

So there it is. Hmmmmm, I'm trying to think who the better GM is. Hmmmmmm

Rick 12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT needs to go. Getting to the playoffs every year isn't good enough anymore when you have a once in a lifetime QB. You can’t teach an old dog new tricks because he’s too stubborn to use free agency and trades. New England is a prime example of a team who utilizes the draft and free agency as well as trades. They understand they have a once in a lifetime QB and they try to improve the team around him constantly. (Rodgers is only getting older) For instance, signing Revis, Amendola, Talib, Jabaal Sheard or Trading for Akeem Ayers, Randy Moss, Chad Ochocinco, Albert Haynesworth. Some of these moves may have been busts, but who cares if it was for a late round pick, which rarely pans out. Half the time the team finds better undrafted players than the late picks anyways. TT values 5th, 6th, and 7th round picks way too much and it causes the Pack to miss out on talented players who can contribute when it counts most in the playoffs. At one point in time, TT could have had Lynch for a 3rd round pick from the Bills…. a 3rd pick. Instead he wastes those picks on players like Khyri Thornton… Are u kidding me? And don’t give me that crap that it will hurt the cap to do that when the Packers have more than enough cap space. Don’t get me wrong, I think the draft and develop philosophy is great, but free agent pick ups and trades need to happen occasionally because not all picks pan out (i.e. Harrell, Carrol, Thronton, Worthy, Alex Green, Datone Jones, Davante Adams, Carl Bradford)….I think John Schneider needs to come home to Green Bay… that rumor about a clause in his contract to come to GB if the GM spot is open could be true. He is much more like Ron Wolf who wasn't afraid to make a move to get a few big name free agents or players in a trade and look what it did for the Pack then! Out with the old, in with the new I say! Go Pack! Beat the Cardinals!
When I said this before last season I was called a fool with him as GM THIS TEAM WILL GO NOWHERE!

D

Deleted member 6794

So, checking back in . . .

CaptainWIMM vrs TT

GM CptWIMM
Sign Trevathan - 21 total tackles has missed 2 games
Sign Ladarius Green - 0 receptions no snaps.
Keep Sitton - Bears really suck
Perry - let him go to save money for Green and Trevathan
Uses all tools available to a GM

TT
Ryan (29) and Martinez (21) in one less possible game.
Jared Cook 6 rec 53 yds
Talyor starting guard - Packers OL the best in many years, Taylor as good as Sitton so far, younger, and far cheaper.
Doesn't know about all the tools available as a GM
Signed Perry - Leading the Packers in sacks with 4.5
Has an extra $11.5M per year going forward more than the CaptainWIMM based on these moves

So there it is. Hmmmmm, I'm trying to think who the better GM is. Hmmmmmm

Is there any reason you ignore Thompson overpaying for Starks or completely botching the situation at punter???

I think it's kind of ridiculous that the only time you post on the forum is when you realize I was wrong about something like Thompson overpaying for Perry.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol I mean the point is guys that TT knows mOre about the inner workings of his team and the league than any of us do. Who would have ever thought that him resigning Perry would lead to Perry having a career year so far?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is there any reason you ignore Thompson overpaying for Starks or completely botching the situation at punter???

I think it's kind of ridiculous that the only time you post on the forum is when you realize I was wrong about something like Thompson overpaying for Perry.
Okay, he made an error on the punter. He was right on 15 other decisions. You focus on the one problem and ignore the 15 great moves. You were completely wrong on all the other moves TT made but you chose to focus on the one issue you were correct.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT killed it this offseason. A punter and basically what amounts to a one year $3 million deal for a proven backup running back is our biggest "gotchas"? Couldn't have played the LG and ILB situations any better. Give credit where it's due.

D

Deleted member 6794

Okay, he made an error on the punter. He was right on 15 other decisions. You focus on the one problem and ignore the 15 great moves. You were completely wrong on all the other moves TT made but you chose to focus on the one issue you were correct.

I admit that I was wrong about Perry being overpaid and that replacing Sitton with Taylor one week before the start of the season was a mistake, just like everyone else capable of forming an opinion (which of course eliminates you from consideration) following the Packers. If TT would have been sure about Perry turning into a dominant edge defender he would have signed him to a long-term contract though.

The other moves Thompson has made this offseason aren't great by any means.

Ryan, Martinez and Thomas have performed on an average level, which is a huge improvement over past seasons but hardly something to get totally excited about. The Bears tandem of Freeman and Trevathan, two players I wanted the Packers to sign, have played far better so far.

Cook has been a disappointment so far having averaged only a pedestrian 8.8 yards per catch, a number that's on par with Rodgers' terrible season in 2015. Ladarius Green has been injured therefore it's way too early to make a fair evaluation of the Steelers decision to sign him.

Once again, the Packers general manager made two hreat moves in re-signing Perry and replacing Sitton with Taylor but botched the situation at backup running back and punter. The jury's still out on some other moves he made this offseason.

Overall while the Packers are off to a decent start going 3-1 the team has struggled in several areas and hasn't performed like a team poised to make a Super Bowl run. Therefore it's far too early to praise Thompson for his moves this offseason.

Couldn't have played the LG and ILB situations any better. Give credit where it's due.

Once again, the play at inside linebacker has improved over past seasons but the Packers for sure don't feature an above average unit at the position. Therefore it would have been able to play it better.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the way Taylor has performed so far this season, absolutely justifying Thompson's move to release Sitton. Hopefully both of the guards stay healthy though as there's not a single backup pn the roster being best suited to play the position.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I admit that I was wrong about Perry being overpaid and that replacing Sitton with Taylor one week before the start of the season was a mistake, just like everyone else capable of forming an opinion (which of course eliminates you from consideration) following the Packers. If TT would have been sure about Perry turning into a dominant edge defender he would have signed him to a long-term contract though.

Ryan, Martinez and Thomas have performed on an average level, which is a huge improvement over past seasons but hardly something to get totally excited about. The Bears tandem of Freeman and Trevathan, two players I wanted the Packers to sign, have played far better so far.

Cook has been a disappointment so far having averaged only a pedestrian 8.8 yards per catch, a number that's on par with Rodgers' terrible season in 2015. Ladarius Green has been injured therefore it's way too early to make a fair evaluation of the Steelers decision to sign him.

Once again, the Packers general manager made two hreat moves in re-signing Perry and replacing Sitton with Taylor but botched the situation at backup running back and punter. The jury's still out on some other moves he made this offseason.

Overall while the Packers are off to a decent start going 3-1 the team has struggled in several areas and hasn't performed like a team poised to make a Super Bowl run. Therefore it's far too early to praise Thompson for his moves this offseason.

Once again, the play at inside linebacker has improved over past seasons but the Packers for sure don't feature an above average unit at the position. Therefore it would have been able to play it better.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the way Taylor has performed so far this season, absolutely justifying Thompson's move to release Sitton. Hopefully both of the guards stay healthy though as there's not a single backup pn the roster being best suited to play the position.

Having Ryan, Martinez, and Thomas at ILB on rookie deals playing average is much better than paying the guys the Bears have to play maybe slightly better. It's worth noting that the run defense has been excellent and those guys are part of the reason why. The ILBs are on their way to being a solid unit for years for a lot cheaper than what the Bears have. I'd much rather have our tandem and be able to resign another one of our many free agents next off season.

D

Deleted member 6794

Having Ryan, Martinez, and Thomas at ILB on rookie deals playing average is much better than paying the guys the Bears have to play maybe slightly better. It's worth noting that the run defense has been excellent and those guys are part of the reason why. The ILBs are on their way to being a solid unit for years for a lot cheaper than what the Bears have. I'd much rather have our tandem and be able to resign another one of our many free agents next off season.

There's absolutely no denying having players perform at a decent level playing under their rookie contracts is a huge advantage. The run defense faces an elite rushing offense for the first time this season on Sunday vs. the Cowboys, a game that will go a long way in truly evaluating the play by the team's inside linebackers.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

This is an interesting argument that both sides are making but I think it's a little early for both sides to make absolute claims of success. I will say that thinking back on all that has transpired since the moves in question have been made, my takeaways are that I think that any claims here that Ted Thompson is a heartless, arrogant and soulless management jerk (which a few posters have insinuated) are completely unfounded. I think Ted has a very difficult time letting go guys that have a long history with us. I was mildly surprised at the timing of the release of Sitton and Masthay. We saw the same thing happen with the backup QB's a few years ago. I think he assumes that players are going to improve in practice and camp to the point of earning their roster spot. In retrospect, I think he became convinced that NOW was indeed Taylor's time. I really expected either Sitton or Lang to be traded just before or during the draft. There is an awful lot going on at 1265 Lombardi that none of us know about. With our history of being a championship contender every year, I think it's appropriate to keep in mind that the Packers coaching staff and mgmt are responsible for that success and that fans ought to take a really hard look around the league to see the multitudes of mistakes being made in most places around the league before lashing out at mgmt with venomous criticism.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've jostled TT hard over the years, but a good example of why he should stay comes from the college ranks. The University of Georgia didn't like Mark Richt anymore because he always had a good team, consistently took them to near the top in a very tough conference, won bowl games, but he never 'won it all' so they fired him. They're struggling this year. They thought his replacement, Kirby Smart from Alabama, would take a solid team forward and they haven't done much.
TT has kept the Packers competitive. One glaring mistake all the TT haters make is they assume Eliot Wolf will be the second coming of his father. Maybe so. But there is no guarantee that will happen and the assumption that one of the Packers front office alumni will return just because it's Green Bay and do better is also way off base. Why? Just because you are a fan of the Packers doesn't mean those people see it as the greatest place to work. They're professionals, and they go and do the job and get paid to do it, regardless of location. They might like Green Bay, but many would just as soon work elsewhere.
Thompson is here until 2018, like it or not, so all this is just wasted time.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

What position do you think Barclay is best suited to play? Cook has been a disappointment so far because he's been injured and unable to gel with Rodgers. We also don't know for sure yet that he botched the backup RB situation. Starks hasn't played to the level we are accustomed to, but that doesn't mean that he will return to form. Like you say, it's too early to make some of the absolute judgments that you have.

D

Deleted member 6794

What position do you think Barclay is best suited to play? Cook has been a disappointment so far because he's been injured and unable to gel with Rodgers. We also don't know for sure yet that he botched the backup RB situation. Starks hasn't played to the level we are accustomed to, but that doesn't mean that he will return to form. Like you say, it's too early to make some of the absolute judgments that you have.

Barclay's best suited to sit on the bench or even better in the stands. While it's possible Starks returns to being a decent backup there's no doubt that Thompson overpaid for him. I agree it's too early to fairly evaluate Cook.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Barclay's best suited to sit on the bench or even better in the stands. While it's possible Starks returns to being a decent backup there's no doubt that Thompson overpaid for him. I agree it's too early to fairly evaluate Cook.
You said the same thing about Taylor. What is Barclay best suited to play? Right tackle? Right guard? What about Murphy? Can he play guard?

We don't have any idea of what type of interest other teams have in Starks and how much Rodgers and the coaching staff value Starks. I think part of that signing had to do with the uncertainty surrounding Lacy and was an insurance policy of sorts. Much like the Taylor re-signing in the spring.

D

Deleted member 6794

You said the same thing about Taylor. What is Barclay best suited to play? Right tackle? Right guard? What about Murphy? Can he play guard?

Barclay gave up a sack on his only snap on offense this season after playing absolutely terrible in 2015. I don't want him anywhere near the Packers franchise quarterback.

It's possible some of the backup offensive linemen are able to fill in at guard but none of them is best suited to play the position.

We don't have any idea of what type of interest other teams have in Starks and how much Rodgers and the coaching staff value Starks. I think part of that signing had to do with the uncertainty surrounding Lacy and was an insurance policy of sorts. Much like the Taylor re-signing in the spring.

I'm sorry but nothing you're going to say will convince me it was a good idea to pay a 30-year old backup running back $3 million a year.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Barclay gave up a sack on his only snap on offense this season after playing absolutely terrible in 2015. I don't want him anywhere near the Packers franchise quarterback.

It's possible some of the backup offensive linemen are able to fill in at guard but none of them is best suited to play the position.

I'm sorry but nothing you're going to say will convince me it was a good idea to pay a 30-year old backup running back $3 million a year.
Well it's not the Packers way to have a single backup best suited for every position on the offensive line which would result in 10 OL on the roster at all times. As far as Barclay goes, apparently the staff feels he has value or he'd have been replaced in camp.

Starks: we'll just have to respectfully disagree.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well it's not the Packers way to have a single backup best suited for every position on the offensive line which would result in 10 OL on the roster at all times. As far as Barclay goes, apparently the staff feels he has value or he'd have been replaced in camp.

Starks: we'll just have to respectfully disagree.
Normally I would agree that the coaches know better. In the case of Barclay.... I'm having my doubts lol. I can't recall a time when that guy has seen the field when something bad hasn't happened.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well it's not the Packers way to have a single backup best suited for every position on the offensive line which would result in 10 OL on the roster at all times.

Come on, it's absolutely fine having a decent swing tackle, a guy best suited to play both guard spots and a backup center on the roster.

I think he's the first guy to play everywhere except if Bakhtiari has to come out. Then I expect to see Spriggs.

Unfortunately that's probably true bit doesn't mean Barclay is a decent player by any means.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Come on, it's absolutely fine having a decent swing tackle, a guy best suited to play both guard spots and a backup center on the roster.

Unfortunately that's probably true bit doesn't mean Barclay is a decent player by any means.
I don't know if Spriggs is ready to be a swing tackle or not. My guess is Barclay right now would play right tackle. I hear what you're saying. Right now Barclay is the standby while the others get healthy and the rookies develop. In extended action, by now, Barclay may be at the point to be an adequate player.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't know if Spriggs is ready to be a swing tackle or not. My guess is Barclay right now would play right tackle. I hear what you're saying. Right now Barclay is the standby while the others get healthy and the rookies develop. In extended action, by now, Barclay may be at the point to be an adequate player.

Barclay was an adequate player before tearing his ACL, unfortunately he has been terrible ever since.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Barclay was an adequate player before tearing his ACL, unfortunately he has been terrible ever since.
The coaches must feel he is still on the comeback trail or he wouldn't still be on the roster.

Staff online

Latest posts