When or Should We fire TT?

• After this Year

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • Give him another Year

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Ha! As if Mark Murphy has the balls to do that?

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • TT until Aaron Rodgers career is wasted away

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I like him, let's keep him

Votes: 42 51.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2010. Very. Might be just me, but no matter the standards for a position, if someone is doing a great job, I don't see the room for blame.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gotta say the signing of the tight end could very well be THE missing piece on offense if he can shake linebackers and safeties and hang on to the ball and make the occasional great catch. I hope he was mainly the victim of poor QBing so far in his career. Still need to find a good O lineman or two in the draft. So I am saying maybe, just maybe TT did good so far.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2010. Very. Might be just me, but no matter the standards for a position, if someone is doing a great job, I don't see the room for blame.

I understand your point but my point is simple, if the goal is to win the Superbowl and that is not happening, then the ultimate goal is not being reached and there is blame to go all around. I am not sure what you are not understanding, and I don't say that to be rude but it really is a simple point.

Are they doing great? Yes. Is there room for improvement? Yes. Are some of the reasons they have not won another Superbowl due to their actions, decisions and performance? Yes.

In other words there is room to blame, not sure how there is any other way to look at it. The ultimate goal is not to win the division in what has been a weak division for years, it is certainly a worthy goal but no the top goal. So if you are not reaching the ultimate goal, you are failing. And in almost every single circumstance of failure, there is someone to "blame".

I think maybe you are focusing on "blame" being this horrible word. It is not, it is just a word point out some fault in which something was not perfect.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand your point but my point is simple, if the goal is to win the Superbowl and that is not happening, then the ultimate goal is not being reached and there is blame to go all around. I am not sure what you are not understanding, and I don't say that to be rude but it really is a simple point.

Are they doing great? Yes. Is there room for improvement? Yes. Are some of the reasons they have not won another Superbowl due to their actions, decisions and performance? Yes.

In other words there is room to blame, not sure how there is any other way to look at it. The ultimate goal is not to win the division in what has been a weak division for years, it is certainly a worthy goal but no the top goal. So if you are not reaching the ultimate goal, you are failing. And in almost every single circumstance of failure, there is someone to "blame".

I think maybe you are focusing on "blame" being this horrible word. It is not, it is just a word point out some fault in which something was not perfect.

Agree it's semantics. My problem is I feel that doing a 'great' job pretty well eliminates the option of blame. You prefer 'perfect' as the qualifier. I read the first paragraph and said agree, agree, agree, where's the problem? Then you said they're doing great but there's room for improvement. If feel if there's room for improvement, they're not 'great'. Nobody else seems to care, though, and we're not all that far apart, so carry on.

D

Deleted member 6794

Gotta say the signing of the tight end could very well be THE missing piece on offense if he can shake linebackers and safeties and hang on to the ball and make the occasional great catch. I hope he was mainly the victim of poor QBing so far in his career. Still need to find a good O lineman or two in the draft. So I am saying maybe, just maybe TT did good so far.

I would be fine with adding depth on the offensive line but the position is for sure not the one in most dire need of an upgrade. Thompson first and foremost has to address the defensive line and inside linebacker in this year's draft.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I would be fine with adding depth on the offensive line but the position is for sure not the one in most dire need of an upgrade. Thompson first and foremost has to address the defensive line and inside linebacker in this year's draft.

I agree, but have this nagging feeling that either Conklin or Decker will be on the board when the Packers pick and TT won't be able to resist.

Thoughts?

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree, but have this nagging feeling that either Conklin or Decker will be on the board when the Packers pick and TT won't be able to resist.

Thoughts?

I would be disappointed. Thompson has done a marvelous job of finding talented offensive linemen in the middle rounds of the draft, especially on the interior. No reason to use a first-rounder on the position.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Due to the Packers success (grade it how you like) over the last 6 years, their draft position has averaged right around 26th. This means that on average, there have been 25 teams picking ahead of them in EACH and every round. Over 6 years that equates to 150 players total per round that other teams have been able to pick before the Packers. I'm not sure how this rates in comparison to other teams, but guessing possibly only NE has done better? I know we all want Super Bowl wins, but its pretty impressive that the Packers have been able to stay relatively near the top of the league given their draft position each year.

D

Deleted member 6794

Due to the Packers success (grade it how you like) over the last 6 years, their draft position has averaged right around 26th. This means that on average, there have been 25 teams picking ahead of them in EACH and every round. Over 6 years that equates to 150 players total per round that other teams have been able to pick before the Packers. I'm not sure how this rates in comparison to other teams, but guessing possibly only NE has done better? I know we all want Super Bowl wins, but its pretty impressive that the Packers have been able to stay relatively near the top of the league given their draft position each year.

Something tells me that having Aaron Rodgers as the team's QB has a lot to do with it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Something tells me that having Aaron Rodgers as the team's QB has a lot to do with it.

;) Hard to argue too much with you there. By far TT's #1 shining moment in his tenure and it was a pick that no doubt played a significant role in everything that has occurred after.

In a round about way I was just trying to point out that the Packers success has been part of their demise when it comes to their draft position each year.

D

Deleted member 6794

In a round about way I was just trying to point out that the Packers success has been part of their demise when it comes to their draft position each year.

There's no denying that drafting at the end of each round makes it awfully tough to get elite players. Unfortunately Thompson wasn't able to do that the two times he was picking in the top 10 either.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree. And New England having Brady has a lot to do with their consistent success.

Glad you got the consistent in there. Even with the dry spell in the middle, 14 years with Brady netted six SB appearances, four Lombardis.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Glad you got the consistent in there. Even with the dry spell in the middle, 14 years with Brady netted six SB appearances, four Lombardis.
Brady will forever be regarded as one of the greatest QB's of all time in most circles much like Montana. Winning is the goal.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't want to hijack the thread, but the article did have the caveat that "Surprisingly, Cleveland has drafted some good players, but the failure to find a quarterback and the turnover in the front office and coaching staff has hidden it well". Also for consideration, albeit written by a Browns guy, is http://dawgpounddaily.com/2015/07/14/why-the-cleveland-browns-have-built-a-super-bowl-roster/. I only know about a handful of players in the league who aren't Packers, so I'm in no way able to comment, but I wonder if it's not the bulk of the Browns roster that's so bad, just the cornerstone. As with other comparisons that have come up, how would the Browns-with-Rodgers compare with the Packers-with-Browns-losers-at-QB?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't want to hijack the thread, but the article did have the caveat that "Surprisingly, Cleveland has drafted some good players, but the failure to find a quarterback and the turnover in the front office and coaching staff has hidden it well". Also for consideration, albeit written by a Browns guy, is http://dawgpounddaily.com/2015/07/14/why-the-cleveland-browns-have-built-a-super-bowl-roster/. I only know about a handful of players in the league who aren't Packers, so I'm in no way able to comment, but I wonder if it's not the bulk of the Browns roster that's so bad, just the cornerstone. As with other comparisons that have come up, how would the Browns-with-Rodgers compare with the Packers-with-Browns-losers-at-QB?
Impossible comparison. Without Rodgers the entire team would look different because our draft position in every round in every year would have been different.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The article I posted was just one writers twist on rating a teams drafting abilities over the last 5 years. I am pretty sure 5 other writers could come up with a completely different list using similar subjective criteria.

But as many know and point out, the Packers success during that time revolves a lot around Aaron Rodgers.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Impossible comparison. Without Rodgers the entire team would look different because our draft position in every round in every year would have been different.
It was already proven conclusively, that had the Packers not draft AR, we would have won 4 superbowls and have the greatest defense ever. Pg 6 of this thread, the post on Jan 12, 2016.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'll type very slowly. If you put Rodgers on the team that Browns have put together up to this point, and if you put any of the QBs the Browns have had on today's Packers, what would you expect? The point was that the Browns may not have done a bad job of drafting, except for one position.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll type very slowly. If you put Rodgers on the team that Browns have put together up to this point, and if you put any of the QBs the Browns have had on today's Packers, what would you expect? The point was that the Browns may not have done a bad job of drafting, except for one position.
They had a great offense too. Except the part where you score points.

Some positions are more important than others and a GM should be held accountable for the quality of that position. The Browns have passed on a few good QBs in the last 5 years because they thought they might have something in Weeden, hoyer, manziel, anderson, and or Holcomb. Not finding even a half a#+!!ed QB over that period should weigh more heavily into the equation than finding a few good players at other positions. I know what you are saying and I agree in part. But I also think they should be lowered for ******** up so badly in the most important position.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
They had a great offense too. Except the part where you score points.

Some positions are more important than others and a GM should be held accountable for the quality of that position. The Browns have passed on a few good QBs in the last 5 years because they thought they might have something in Weeden, hoyer, manziel, anderson, and or Holcomb. Not finding even a half a#+!!ed QB over that period should weigh more heavily into the equation than finding a few good players at other positions. I know what you are saying and I agree in part. But I also think they should be lowered for ******** up so badly in the most important position.
There is also a lot more than drafting that goes into the equation. The position coaches have a great deal of responsibility to develop the newcomers and all position coaches are not equal around the league nor on a given team.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts