When or Should We fire TT?

• After this Year

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • Give him another Year

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Ha! As if Mark Murphy has the balls to do that?

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • TT until Aaron Rodgers career is wasted away

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I like him, let's keep him

Votes: 42 51.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
He drafted Aaron RodgerS, clay Matthews, jordy Nelson, Josh sitton, Greg Jennings, TJ Lang and Randall Cobb. I think enough said.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First, thanks TJV for taking the time to read a long winded post and give a thoughtful reply.

To your first point; not really a criticism on the Woodson/Peppers signing, just pointing out that there wasn't a multiple team bidding war going on from the start of UFA for either player. My basic point in this is that if there had been I don't believe TT would have been in it to the end, if at all.

-to your 2nd point; there is no way to convince me that the Packers go to two SB's in the 90's without Favre and White, but that could be a whole other thread. But this is the point I try to make that is always missed. My point is not an after the fact one; it is not looking at how a signing turned out or comparing Wolf and TT's records and such. It is before the fact. It is all about do you or do you not make the move in the first plave, which makes my main point.
Thompson does not do enough, does not utilize all of his available tools , does not leave 'no stone unturned'.

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't speak for the rest but frustration rising, yes, seeing the pattern. We can get by regular season but can't get it done in the playoffs. And the regular season blowouts are becoming nailbiters. It's a slow downward trend. As time goes by it looks like the 2010 win was on the players who were there at the time. People listing players drafted from the last couple years, are they truly dominating? Truly Dominating? 1st rounders are supposed to be the elite, and yea sometimes you strike out, I rememeber Mandrich. Which one is the next Reggie? Where is our Dez, our Megatron? Our Edelman? We are settling for making the play offs, not competing for Championships with one of the top QB's in the league. And on the present course making the playoffs will slip away. How did we do against our division at home this year? Losing Jordy caused this much of an O problem? Seriously? The pass to Fitz last night displayed the same shortfalls we have come to expect. Where were the coaches last year for the last 5 minutes? Where was the one coach telling them to keep an on Larry last night? Is it coaching or players not following instructions? Where is our slot who can always get open and catch the 7 yard quick slant? Who is the receiver when we absolutely positively need a catch you throw it to?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Thompson does not do enough, does not utilize all of his available tools , does not leave 'no stone unturned'.
Agreed. But if you think Wolf did, the result in number of titles won is the same. BTW, my main problem with putting Thompson in Wolf's shoes is the extreme uncertainty when changing one event in history. There is just no way to know the ramifications of changing just one event, let alone many.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't speak for the rest but frustration rising, yes, seeing the pattern. We can get by regular season but can't get it done in the playoffs. And the regular season blowouts are becoming nailbiters. It's a slow downward trend. As time goes by it looks like the 2010 win was on the players who were there at the time. People listing players drafted from the last couple years, are they truly dominating? Truly Dominating? 1st rounders are supposed to be the elite, and yea sometimes you strike out, I rememeber Mandrich. Which one is the next Reggie? Where is our Dez, our Megatron? Our Edelman? We are settling for making the play offs, not competing for Championships with one of the top QB's in the league. And on the present course making the playoffs will slip away. How did we do against our division at home this year? Losing Jordy caused this much of an O problem? Seriously? The pass to Fitz last night displayed the same shortfalls we have come to expect. Where were the coaches last year for the last 5 minutes? Where was the one coach telling them to keep an on Larry last night? Is it coaching or players not following instructions? Where is our slot who can always get open and catch the 7 yard quick slant? Who is the receiver when we absolutely positively need a catch you throw it to?

There is no way we'd ever get a Megatron or Dez like player picking where we do. They are freakish athletes who do not drop that far.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. But if you think Wolf did, the result in number of titles won is the same. BTW, my main problem with putting Thompson in Wolf's shoes is the extreme uncertainty when changing one event in history. There is just no way to know the ramifications of changing just one event, let alone many.

Again, not talking about comparing records, how a signing turned out, or any other hindsight measures.
Just in how the job is done. And TT doesn't do enough, or utilize his options nearly enough.
And while I see your last point, I'm going to take the liberty of not believing that you believe the Packers would have- or could have had- the same success in the '90's without Favre and White.

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no way we'd ever get a Megatron or Dez like player picking where we do. They are freakish athletes who do not drop that far.[/QUOTE

I know this will be a shock, you can actually trade up in the draft. It goes both ways. Our best receiver was 33rd in yardage this year. With our QB, 33rd. When you are one or two players away, and you have the QB, you go get them.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still hope we draft another WR with speed. I'd love to see another burner out there besides Jordy.

If not another WR with speed, then I'd love to see us draft a RB that can get out into passing routes and be a huge threat that way. Having a RB like Darren Sproles or Shane Vereen is a huge boon to an offense and its a mismatch waiting to happen.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know this will be a shock, you can actually trade up in the draft. It goes both ways. Our best receiver was 33rd in yardage this year. With our QB, 33rd. When you are one or two players away, and you have the QB, you go get them.

Was TT supposed to know Jordy would go down and trade up last year for a WR? WR was not a need at all in recent offseasons.

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was TT supposed to know Jordy would go down and trade up last year for a WR? WR was not a need at all in recent offseasons.

For the last 10 years everytime one of our receivers leave how do they turn out? We have had the QB's to make them look better then they are. How did Jennings do?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
"Minor" point: The Packers best receiver was on IR all season. And one GM who believed "when you are one or two players away, and you have the QB, you go get them" was Mike Sherman. And he has had a lot of company throughout the history of free agency in the NFL. I think Thompson should be more active in UFA but there's no guarantee that MO wins a title either. And BTW according to one draft pick value chart, the value of every one of the Packers' picks in the 2007 draft were worth about 850 points less than the #2 pick overall used to pick Calvin Johnson. And the Packers picked 16th in the first round that year.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the last 10 years everytime one of our receivers leave how do they turn out? We have had the QB's to make them look better then they are. How did Jennings do?

JJ had a pretty good year in Oakland and Jennings had absolutely nobody that could throw the ball

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed. But if you think Wolf did, the result in number of titles won is the same. .
He drafted Aaron RodgerS, clay Matthews, jordy Nelson, Josh sitton, Greg Jennings, TJ Lang and Randall Cobb. I think enough said.

Nick Collins---Colledge---Aj-Spitz-Jolly--James Jones--Crosby--Finley--Flynn--Raji--Bulaga--Burnett-Starks--Perry--Mcdaniels--Heyward--Lacy--Ha-ha--Lindsley

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Minor" point: The Packers best receiver was on IR all season. And one GM who believed "when you are one or two players away, and you have the QB, you go get them" was Mike Sherman. And he has had a lot of company throughout the history of free agency in the NFL. I think Thompson should be more active in UFA but there's no guarantee that MO wins a title either. And BTW according to one draft pick value chart, the value of every one of the Packers' picks in the 2007 draft were worth about 850 points less than the #2 pick overall used to pick Calvin Johnson. And the Packers picked 16th in the first round that year.

Perhaps TT should look at how FA as a way to enhance draft success. When the team is forced to draft players based upon need the team might be forced to overlook better and more talented players at other positions. Who knows who the Packers might have taken instead of Derek Sherrod or Nick Perry or Datone Jones. Perhaps we would have picked up better more consistent contributors.

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last Years Draft is working out to be a really great draft. They need to have another draft like that as I haven't seen their secondary that strong for a long time. They need to upgrade the TE position extremely bad with as many as (2) pass catching threats as well as resign some of their Free Agents.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Last Years Draft is working out to be a really great draft. They need to have another draft like that as I haven't seen their secondary that strong for a long time. They need to upgrade the TE position extremely bad with as many as (2) pass catching threats as well as resign some of their Free Agents.

ILB and TE

would be happy with good ones there

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ILB and TE

would be happy with good ones there

I would be happy with a TE who is just solid as both a pass catcher and as blocker. Richard Rodgers is tough to watch at times. Although I kind of wonder what Rodgers would look like if he'd slim down, maybe lose 10 pounds.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Perhaps TT should look at how FA as a way to enhance draft success. When the team is forced to draft players based upon need the team might be forced to overlook better and more talented players at other positions. Who knows who the Packers might have taken instead of Derek Sherrod or Nick Perry or Datone Jones. Perhaps we would have picked up better more consistent contributors.
Agreed, I've made a similar point in threads in which some say Thompson is strictly a BPA drafter; I think that's demonstrably false as your examples and the 2012 draft show: I don't think it was just a coincidence the first 6 players - all defenders - were the "best players available". I swear I read an interview with Thompson quite a while ago in which he says something like 'an immediate need has to be addressed in free agency, not the draft' but I've looked for it several times and can't find it. Whether I remember that correctly or not, I think it's true and wish Thompson would act as if it were. (And he can start by acquiring a veteran LT in a couple of months.)

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, I've made a similar point in threads in which some say Thompson is strictly a BPA drafter; I think that's demonstrably false as your examples and the 2012 draft show: I don't think it was just a coincidence the first 6 players - all defenders - were the "best players available". I swear I read an interview with Thompson quite a while ago in which he says something like 'an immediate need has to be addressed in free agency, not the draft' but I've looked for it several times and can't find it. Whether I remember that correctly or not, I think it's true and wish Thompson would act as if it were. (And he can start by acquiring a veteran LT in a couple of months.)

It was a while back, but I also remember that.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And they did not have all of the because of Jerry, they had that because of Jimmy.

Yeah, but Uncle Jerruh has more face time and has been quoted more- including more assinine quotes- then anyone else in the NFL.

So, there's that.

Members online

Latest posts