When or Should We fire TT?

• After this Year

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • Give him another Year

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Ha! As if Mark Murphy has the balls to do that?

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • TT until Aaron Rodgers career is wasted away

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I like him, let's keep him

Votes: 42 51.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You certainly can compare other professional sports because all of them are about winning championships. Wolf's pick up of guys like Andre Rison and Keith Jackson midstream were good examples. There are players out there. Even Jerry Jones grabbed Dion Sanders when he already had a powerhouse team. In fact baseball makes the opportunity even more challenging because it only has a phony salary cap unlike football which has a true one. There are about 8 teams in MLB which monopolize this year after year because they are allowed to use an unlimited bank account. Even in the NFL failed franchises like Jacksonville have just as much a shot at signing players as any one else if they want to push the button.

Trades in the MLB are much easier. It's not comparable.

To complain about TT and praise Jerry Jones, who has done nothing for about 20 years make no sense either.

Last edited:

Mothra Rob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT needs to go. Getting to the playoffs every year isn't good enough anymore when you have a once in a lifetime QB. You can’t teach an old dog new tricks because he’s too stubborn to use free agency and trades. New England is a prime example of a team who utilizes the draft and free agency as well as trades. They understand they have a once in a lifetime QB and they try to improve the team around him constantly. (Rodgers is only getting older) For instance, signing Revis, Amendola, Talib, Jabaal Sheard or Trading for Akeem Ayers, Randy Moss, Chad Ochocinco, Albert Haynesworth. Some of these moves may have been busts, but who cares if it was for a late round pick, which rarely pans out. Half the time the team finds better undrafted players than the late picks anyways. TT values 5th, 6th, and 7th round picks way too much and it causes the Pack to miss out on talented players who can contribute when it counts most in the playoffs. At one point in time, TT could have had Lynch for a 3rd round pick from the Bills…. a 3rd pick. Instead he wastes those picks on players like Khyri Thornton… Are u kidding me? And don’t give me that crap that it will hurt the cap to do that when the Packers have more than enough cap space. Don’t get me wrong, I think the draft and develop philosophy is great, but free agent pick ups and trades need to happen occasionally because not all picks pan out (i.e. Harrell, Carrol, Thronton, Worthy, Alex Green, Datone Jones, Davante Adams, Carl Bradford)….I think John Schneider needs to come home to Green Bay… that rumor about a clause in his contract to come to GB if the GM spot is open could be true. He is much more like Ron Wolf who wasn't afraid to make a move to get a few big name free agents or players in a trade and look what it did for the Pack then! Out with the old, in with the new I say! Go Pack! Beat the Cardinals!
Well put....been on the dump TT bandwagon for years. You listed plenty of reasons, and there's millions more, the most important of which is wasting Rodgers wonder years. He and Favre can sit around the fire one day and contemplate how many rings they may have had if someone else was pulling the strings. Fact is, this is a one man offense with a decent defense (made a lot better when the one man offense has a supporting cast) The takent he's assembled would win 4-5 games tops without AR and that may be a stretch. We employ a 3-4 where the LB's are critical. He hasn't drafted a good one since CM and had to move him inside. Hawk & Jones alone should have gotten him fired. The guy's got issues, loves his fellas (nuff said) and doesn't look like got any intention of changing his ways. Uh...100 years ago when you signed Charles Woodson on the cheap as a FA, how'd that work out? Better not try that again huh? Murphy's a politician with no onions...can vent all we want, the White Rat's not going anywhere

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well put....been on the dump TT bandwagon for years. You listed plenty of reasons, and there's millions more, the most important of which is wasting Rodgers wonder years. He and Favre can sit around the fire one day and contemplate how many rings they may have had if someone else was pulling the strings. Fact is, this is a one man offense with a decent defense (made a lot better when the one man offense has a supporting cast) The takent he's assembled would win 4-5 games tops without AR and that may be a stretch. We employ a 3-4 where the LB's are critical. He hasn't drafted a good one since CM and had to move him inside. Hawk & Jones alone should have gotten him fired. The guy's got issues, loves his fellas (nuff said) and doesn't look like got any intention of changing his ways. Uh...100 years ago when you signed Charles Woodson on the cheap as a FA, how'd that work out? Better not try that again huh? Murphy's a politician with no onions...can vent all we want, the White Rat's not going anywhere

Does Peppers not count as a signing?

And again as it's been posted on the forum a few times, why is Rodgers free of blame and when's had poor playoff performances and missed a very key 4th down throw last night?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Brett and Wolf..

TT and Wolf different styles--yet Wolf admits just a fart in the wind..just goes to show it isnt easy

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The score when Cobb went out? Cobb also doesn't play defense. Peppers is our pass rush, how old is he? You could just about throw darts at an SEC ACC DE list and get one, yet we don't. Same with pass catchers. Every yr the Pats sign FA players, some work, some don't, but at least they try. I really don't believe we are trying. Drafting second tier players because they are cheap and think you can "coach them up" isn't working . 4.3 quys are pricey so we go for the 4.5 guys. BB can coach them up, we can't. Besides Clay, which LB would another team really want from us? Watch the games today, and other then Clay which one of our LB's would they trade us for? None. We have a great QB playing without a lot of talent around him and our first round picks seem to be the guy we can sign cheap. Would you have drafted Bulaga in the 1st? I'm from Iowa, we are masters at playing the easiest schedule we can get away with and when Iowa does well it is with a team full of 24 yr olds playing against 19-20 year olds. Kirk knows how to keep his job, win 8, doesn't matter who he plays, just win 8. We have had 20 years to try for the next Reggie, who have we drafted?

pfcmsh

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT needs to go. Getting to the playoffs every year isn't good enough anymore when you have a once in a lifetime QB. You can’t teach an old dog new tricks because he’s too stubborn to use free agency and trades. New England is a prime example of a team who utilizes the draft and free agency as well as trades. They understand they have a once in a lifetime QB and they try to improve the team around him constantly. (Rodgers is only getting older) For instance, signing Revis, Amendola, Talib, Jabaal Sheard or Trading for Akeem Ayers, Randy Moss, Chad Ochocinco, Albert Haynesworth. Some of these moves may have been busts, but who cares if it was for a late round pick, which rarely pans out. Half the time the team finds better undrafted players than the late picks anyways. TT values 5th, 6th, and 7th round picks way too much and it causes the Pack to miss out on talented players who can contribute when it counts most in the playoffs. At one point in time, TT could have had Lynch for a 3rd round pick from the Bills…. a 3rd pick. Instead he wastes those picks on players like Khyri Thornton… Are u kidding me? And don’t give me that crap that it will hurt the cap to do that when the Packers have more than enough cap space. Don’t get me wrong, I think the draft and develop philosophy is great, but free agent pick ups and trades need to happen occasionally because not all picks pan out (i.e. Harrell, Carrol, Thronton, Worthy, Alex Green, Datone Jones, Davante Adams, Carl Bradford)….I think John Schneider needs to come home to Green Bay… that rumor about a clause in his contract to come to GB if the GM spot is open could be true. He is much more like Ron Wolf who wasn't afraid to make a move to get a few big name free agents or players in a trade and look what it did for the Pack then! Out with the old, in with the new I say! Go Pack! Beat the Cardinals!

More free agents would definitely be a good thing. There are some excellent points raised above. IMO, the reason we don't go after free agents enough is the cost and risk. The Packers are lining their pockets big time by avoiding a risk in top free agents. It is all about making more money. The fans are not nearly as important as the bottom line.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The score when Cobb went out? Cobb also doesn't play defense. Peppers is our pass rush, how old is he? You could just about throw darts at an SEC ACC DE list and get one, yet we don't. Same with pass catchers. Every yr the Pats sign FA players, some work, some don't, but at least they try. I really don't believe we are trying. Drafting second tier players because they are cheap and think you can "coach them up" isn't working . 4.3 quys are pricey so we go for the 4.5 guys. BB can coach them up, we can't. Besides Clay, which LB would another team really want from us? Watch the games today, and other then Clay which one of our LB's would they trade us for? None. We have a great QB playing without a lot of talent around him and our first round picks seem to be the guy we can sign cheap. Would you have drafted Bulaga in the 1st? I'm from Iowa, we are masters at playing the easiest schedule we can get away with and when Iowa does well it is with a team full of 24 yr olds playing against 19-20 year olds. Kirk knows how to keep his job, win 8, doesn't matter who he plays, just win 8. We have had 20 years to try for the next Reggie, who have we drafted?

God I hope your trolling.

Drafting second tier players cause they're cheap? Wow. Just wow

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, 2nd tier. Take ARod off this team and we're maybe wining 4 games. 1st round guys should be your watch this guy picks. Other than ARod or Clay, which 1st rounders of ours are watch this guy picks? And remember ARod fell to us. Where is our stud DE? Where is our roadgrader OLman? Another LB? Shutdown CB? There are about 6 guys in the world who can play NFL QB at ARod's level, and you should do everything you can to win while you have them. We aren't.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, 2nd tier. Take ARod off this team and we're maybe wining 4 games. 1st round guys should be your watch this guy picks. Other than ARod or Clay, which 1st rounders of ours are watch this guy picks? And remember ARod fell to us. Where is our stud DE? Where is our roadgrader OLman? Another LB? Shutdown CB? There are about 6 guys in the world who can play NFL QB at ARod's level, and you should do everything you can to win while you have them. We aren't.

Which 1st rounders other than Clay and Arod: Randall, Raji, and Haha
Stud DE: Daniels
Roadgrader o lineman: Sitton
Shutdown corner: Shields

Your assessment of the guys we have currently isn't accurate.

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And no I'm not trolling, 54 yrs old and waited 20 years of the 70's and 80's for us to be respectable. We have now had back to back HOF QB's. Just a couple years a go our big FA signing was Jeff Saturday, really, that was our best FA option then?

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess your grading of DE, Roadgrader, is a little different then mine. We made Freeney look like a spring chicken last night didn't we? Could Carson have played behind our line? I think you under rate ARod's ability to make guys look better. Shields is the only player you listed that fits the description. Sitton is good but it takes 5 OLmen.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess your grading of DE, Roadgrader, is a little different then mine. We made Freeney look like a spring chicken last night didn't we? Could Carson have played behind our line? I think you under rate ARod's ability to make guys look better. Shields is the only player you listed that fits the description. Sitton is good but it takes 5 OLmen.

You know that 3-4 DE and 4-3 are two completely different roles, right? Daniels in one of the best 3-4 DEs in the league.

And Freeney made one big play all night. The pass protection was great.

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes I do, and except for Clay and an old Peppers, we really don't have any of them. On the back breaker play last night, we brought the house against a QB who can barely move, couldn't get there, didn't bother to cover their HOF receiver, then couldn't tackle him.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

One sack ALL game and he was a spring chicken? I believe they had 8 hurries and one sack..Vs that def is pretty good.

Given the fact they gave up 9 last game--they played awesome..

Sometimes losses really make peoples reality be skewed somewhat..

Under rate Rodgers ability to make others better..Where was that in the last 12 games when they went 5-7--pretty sure we didnt see it

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
How is this even a thread? There are 4 rookies from this draft that are already starting caliber (Randall, Rollins, Ryan and Montgomery): 7 of 9 from 2014 are either starting or should be (JJ, Abby, haha, linsley, Richard Rodgers and Adams), and 7/10 from 2013 that are either starting or next man in (Tretter, bakh, Hyde, Eddie lacy, Sam barrington and Nate Palmer) I will give you that Dayton jones was a bust. I just can't believe this is even a thread. We have one of the youngest teams in the NFL. Our future is solid.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is what I dont get with some posters..

Why is it you feel you are right and Ted is wrong? I am not trying to rattle you, but I am really curious why posters here ( or on any forum) think they know better than the GM or the coaches?

You see the tip of the iceberg and not what is underneath--- which is 90% more then what you know.

You'd be surprised .

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They did a great job overall on Freeney. He made a couple of plays, but he's one of the great pass rushers of his generation, and that's what great players do.

FrogSole

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Ted drafted great this last year. Many of us questioned why he picked so many DBs and well our secondary looked amazing last night sans the Larry OT catch.

Keep TED! Just please draft a big name receiver in the first. Rodgers needs help, immediately.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Ted drafted great this last year. Many of us questioned why he picked so many DBs and well our secondary looked amazing last night sans the Larry OT catch.

Keep TED! Just please draft a big name receiver in the first. Rodgers needs help, immediately.

How about... no. Terrible idea lol

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Even if he does not sign either Wahle or Rivera he could have drafted a top guard rather easily. Do you realize the impact of putting those two slugs on the O-line? That's like protecting Favre with a high school kid. They made no effort to restructure at all. If Favre did not continue to leave the rumor mills open and say he'd be back after the 2004 season quickly TT probably does not have to draft a 1st round QB until 2006 or 2007. It's amazing that after letting our backfield get destroyed TT brings in Samkon Gado, an NFL Europe player, to finish off the season. And so the 2005 demise is blamed solely on Sherman.
So you admit you don’t have anything to back up your statement that Thompson ‘admitted his worst move was not signing Wahle and Rivera’. I assume you just made that up. You didn’t know Wahle’s contract situation in 2005 and you continue to ignore that Wahle’s and Rivera’s signing bonuses were a combined $19M and that the Packers were over the cap before the 2005 season. He could have drafted a top OG? Well he used his first three picks on Aaron Rodgers, Nick Collins, and Terrence Murphy, a WR with great potential IMO whose career ended before it got started with an injury. He did draft OGs Coston and Whitticker and he acquired 27-year old Klemm and Matt O’Dwyer and re-signed Grey Ruegamer to compete with Kevin Barry and Scott Wells at the OG spots. He didn’t work out but the “high schooler” Klemm was the first player Bill Belichick's NE front office drafted. (BTW he was certainly a flash in the pan but in 8 games in 2005, Samkon Gado gained 582 yards, scored 7 TDs and averaged 4.1 yards per carry.)

But why argue with someone who actually, incredibly believes drafting Aaron Rodgers was a major blunder? That Thompson was “forced to sign Rodgers and forget the rest of the roster. Just a major blunder by TT.” In another post I wrote, “According to you, drafting Rodgers was a major blunder. Why in the world would a Packers fan post such a thing?” Why would a Packers fan post such a thing? I think the answer to that question was provided when you posted this: “No wonder Favre wanted to get back at him”.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I agree with much of this post but here’s where I disagree:
Even his 2 big name guys- Woodson and Peppers- were not obtained in bidding wars from the first second of free agency.
What’s the difference? Woodson represented a major risk at the time, evidenced by the fact only two teams were seriously pursuing him. Would it have been more impressive if Thompson paid twice as much for him? And Peppers was a stealth signing. Apparently they were working behind the scenes to sign him and Peppers wanted to come to Green Bay. I really don’t get this criticism.
If it were TT instead of Wolf hired to run the team in '92, do you think we'd have won a SB and went to two?
There isn’t just one way to build a championship team. Could it have been done without Favre or White? The evidence says emphatically yes since Wolf only won one title in Green Bay. Much of the criticism of Thompson is warranted, but for those who point to Wolf, IMO we should keep in mind his method of building teams brought exactly the same number of titles to Green Bay as Thompson.