Troy Polamalu

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Heard all week that with him in the game he would create issues..

I dont think he was a factor at all

Anyone else think he wasnt a factor?

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
He
Got
Torched.

Gave up two TD's to Jennings on 2 throws.. that's just the ones on the top of my head..

Speaking of Jennings TD's. If you can go look at the first one in the replay from the goal line. What Jennings did to make that a TD and not have the ball at the 1 yard line was amazing, he like spun in midair..

RichManitoba

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember him one time; he popped Jennings AFTER he crossed the goal line. Mathews is the true NFL player of the year.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had a feeling that Troy wasn't going to be that big a factor in this game, looking back at their post season I think he had a total of 7 tackles between 2 playoff games...either way when Aaron Rodgers is on he's pretty tough to stop, especially on turf

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Polamalu is overrated, as is Big Ben.

I think the stupid Madden prediction showed that, like we also proved how they got Michael Vick wrong, and how can we forget the crushing of Atlanta that was supposed to beat us down?

Don't get me wrong, Troy is a great player in times, but he's not the best. The only problems he seems to create is causing himself injuries with tackling people as hard as he can.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Polamalu is a great player.

Gotta give credit to MM and Rodgers though.. Our game plan really seemed to take him out of the game almost entirely.

Or.. those instincts he plays on fooled him?

Reaction score
He may have been a non factor, but you can't deny his heart. I still saw him flying around practically every play. We were just faster.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
He created problems for the Steelers. He was ABUSED by Jennings on his second TD.

The real MVP was Woodson. He left and our D was really worse.

Reminds me of the Redskins game and Matthews injury.. Just different result.

Its tough to tell how valuable someone really is until they aren't there..

Same case with Troy for Pitt though..

JJP41

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers took him out of the game with their formations. Polamalu couldn't play his normal role because the Steelers were forced to play cover zero on too many occasions.

He's a great one whether you like him or not.

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
Troy is an aggressive player - that aggression helps him make plays, but it also puts him in position to get burned. Put him up against a team that can spread the offense, and a QB that doesn't stare down receivers and can pump fake, etc. and Polamalu is an average Safety at best.

JJP41

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Troy is an aggressive player - that aggression helps him make plays, but it also puts him in position to get burned. Put him up against a team that can spread the offense, and a QB that doesn't stare down receivers and can pump fake, etc. and Polamalu is an average Safety at best.

You can't be seirious.

Average? Hardly. Unless you haven't been watching some of the plays he's made over the years.

As I said, the Steelers were forcecd into cover zero and his role changes when that happens.

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
You can't be seirious.

Average? Hardly. Unless you haven't been watching some of the plays he's made over the years.

As I said, the Steelers were forcecd into cover zero and his role changes when that happens.

Note that I qualified it with being under certain conditions. Not that he is merely an average Safety all the time - just under certain conditions. Conditions that were very much present last night, for example.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Polamalu is not 100% imo. When healthy he is the difference maker on that Steeler defense. They are above average without him; the best with him. He reminds me of Leroy Butler. But his style of play leads to injuries. After not missing a game his first 3 years, he's missed 18 games the last 5 seasons. I'm just glad that he didn't rupture his Achilles this season and hope he is back to normal next year.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Yeah, packers just spread out the Pitt's D with our WR sets and polamalu is just average in coverage. He's a much bigger factor when he plays closer to the line of scrimmage.

JJP41

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Note that I qualified it with being under certain conditions. Not that he is merely an average Safety all the time - just under certain conditions. Conditions that were very much present last night, for example.

He was basically forced into playing man coverage much of the game which takes him out of his normal role. He guessed wrong on one play and it resulted in a TD. That doesn't make him average in my book, just human.

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
He was basically forced into playing man coverage much of the game which takes him out of his normal role. He guessed wrong on one play and it resulted in a TD. That doesn't make him average in my book, just human.

True. However, maybe I can rephrase it - "Troy Polamalu played average last night". Is that worded better?

I know everyone loves to get on Troy's knob and ride to HeIsTheBestSafetyEverLand, but the fact that he couldn't adjust last night because he was taken out of his normal role is not a fluke - it happens when he plays damned good QBs with lots of offensive weapons, which is probably anywhere between 60-80% of the time lately.

If he doesn't learn how to adjust from his normal role, good QBs like Rodgers, Brady, etc are going to continue to shred him. Bottom line.

If he didn't have those dead animals hanging out of the back of his helmet, no one would have even known he was playing last night. :)

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
We knocked the Eagles, and the Falcons and the Bears off
Now we about to cut Troy Polamalu's hair off. - Lil Wayne

JJP41

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Polamalu is not 100% imo. When healthy he is the difference maker on that Steeler defense. They are above average without him; the best with him. He reminds me of Leroy Butler. But his style of play leads to injuries. After not missing a game his first 3 years, he's missed 18 games the last 5 seasons. I'm just glad that he didn't rupture his Achilles this season and hope he is back to normal next year.

He won't admit it or ever use it as an excuse but I don't think he was at full speed either.

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
Didnt hear his name all game.... oh wait I did once when he slipped fell down.

I didnt hear Harrisons name either?!?

Was he at the game????

Harrison made a big play, maybe two, IIRC - I heard his name at least once.

Members online

Latest posts