Troy Polamalu

JJP41

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True. However, maybe I can rephrase it - "Troy Polamalu played average last night". Is that worded better?

I know everyone loves to get on Troy's knob and ride to HeIsTheBestSafetyEverLand, but the fact that he couldn't adjust last night because he was taken out of his normal role is not a fluke - it happens when he plays damned good QBs with lots of offensive weapons, which is probably anywhere between 60-80% of the time lately.

If he doesn't learn how to adjust from his normal role, good QBs like Rodgers, Brady, etc are going to continue to shred him. Bottom line.

If he didn't have those dead animals hanging out of the back of his helmet, no one would have even known he was playing last night. :)

It isn't a matter of him adjusting.

Everyone figures he should be flying all over the field like he normally does no matter what.

If he's locked up in man coverage he obviously can't leave his man and if the ball is thrown to the other side of the field, he's not going to be a factor. It's no different than if he was playing cornerback and playing man coverage.

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
It isn't a matter of him adjusting.

Everyone figures he should be flying all over the field like he normally does no matter what.

If he's locked up in man coverage he obviously can't leave his man and if the ball is thrown to the other side of the field, he's not going to be a factor. It's no different than if he was playing cornerback and playing man coverage.

Troy is the designated "Run around the field with your hair flying" guy. He's awesome at that.

Unfortunately, that doesn't work when it's Brady, Brees, Rodgers, etc. with the ball - even if he's not one-on-one.

Everyone thinks Troy is the awesomest ever, and I'm not going to say he's not a great Safety. I've seen big plays he's made. He's good when he is able to roam free as a freelance SS, but with the way the league has been changing into a pass-happy game, guys like Troy are less effective.

Troy is pretty intimidating to read about, but when you watch him in games - not just highlights on YouTube, but in actual games against top 5 QBs - he is less so. In fact, he's almost invisible.

That's just my opinion - we all have them. I've just seen Troy get burned too many times in games much like last night...

Aaron "Chemist" Rodgers broke down the Polamalecules. :happy0005:

:)

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didnt hear his name all game.... oh wait I did once when he slipped fell down.

I didnt hear Harrisons name either?!?

Was he at the game????

Harrison made a big play, maybe two, IIRC - I heard his name at least once.
We heard Clay Matthews name more.

Which shows who the real DPOY is and that those who voted for Troy made a mistake.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
troy is a great player but hasnt been 100% in awhile. Anyone judging a player based on one game is foolish. Woodson didnt play well last yr against AZ, but still had an amazing yr.

But last night troy was pretty much a non factor. I have to watch the game again though just because I want to see how often Rodgers avoided him in close coverage.

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
troy is a great player but hasnt been 100% in awhile. Anyone judging a player based on one game is foolish. Woodson didnt play well last yr against AZ, but still had an amazing yr.

But last night troy was pretty much a non factor. I have to watch the game again though just because I want to see how often Rodgers avoided him in close coverage.

I'm not judging Troy on one game. I'm judging him on a pattern of work against top QBs - of which Rodgers is one of them.

Also, as I mentioned above, Troy got burned in coverage twice on the Jennings TDs. Rodgers threw his way just fine last night, imho.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not judging Troy on one game. I'm judging him on a pattern of work against top QBs - of which Rodgers is one of them.

Also, as I mentioned above, Troy got burned in coverage twice on the Jennings TDs. Rodgers threw his way just fine last night, imho.

Wasnt calling you out it seemed like several people were putting him down overall.

Rodgers hit a pretty wide open jennings for one of the TDs and the other he was pretty open as well I think. but I am not 100% sure what kind of looks Rodgers gave him for the rest of the game.

JJP41

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Wrong. He got beat once.

On the first TD, Polamalu was playing deep outside. Jennings was in the slot and Farrior had coverage on the seam route. Jennings beat Farrior. Just because Polamalu came over after the fact doesn't mean he was beaten. Jennings wasn't his responsiblity.

The second TD. he guessed wrong on the route.

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
Wasnt calling you out it seemed like several people were putting him down overall.

Rodgers hit a pretty wide open jennings for one of the TDs and the other he was pretty open as well I think. but I am not 100% sure what kind of looks Rodgers gave him for the rest of the game.

I know when Jennings caught that TD in the corner of the endzone, he beat Polamalu, who was trying to cover him - that was the one in the 4th Quarter.

The one in the second Quarter, Polamalu nailed him as he caught the ball for the TD, but he held onto it.

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
Wrong. He got beat once.

On the first TD, Polamalu was playing deep outside. Jennings was in the slot and Farrior had coverage on the seam route. Jennings beat Farrior. Just because Polamalu came over after the fact doesn't mean he was beaten. Jennings wasn't his responsiblity.

The second TD. he guessed wrong on the route.

Fair enough on the first TD - but Polamalu was in position to make the play and didn't.

On the second one, Jennings beat him. Period.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Troy is a hell of a player, he just wasn't as big a factor as we expected him to be. He is DPOY, I guess we all expected more out of him. As others have posted, he hasn't been 100% in a while, also he is aging. Maybe he just ran out of gas at the end. I dunno, maybe our O line kept him in check. But Harrison wasn't much of a factor either, so you can't lay it all on Troy.

JJP41

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fair enough on the first TD - but Polamalu was in position to make the play and didn't.

On the second one, Jennings beat him. Period.

He was playing deep outside, how was he in a position to make a play on the ball? His only play was to make a tackle which was after the fact since Jennings was already at the goal line.

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
He was playing deep outside, how was he in a position to make a play on the ball? His only play was to make a tackle which was after the fact since Jennings was already at the goal line.

In real-time it looked like he could have knocked the ball out, but I'll have to go back and look at it again. :)

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
I think Lil Wayne cut polamalu's hair off and put the hair on Brett Farve. Farve figured if he couldn't throw a TD in a SB again, he could at least give them up. :-P

L

Lunchboxer

Reminds me of the Redskins game and Matthews injury.. Just different result.

Its tough to tell how valuable someone really is until they aren't there..

Same case with Troy for Pitt though..

I know just like the video someone posted said. You dont know what you got till you start losing stuff.

brett2520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am in agreement that he was not 100% healthy at all this postseason. I like and respect him, but 1.) he was not as deserving as Matthews was for DPOY and 2.) I have always seen him as more of a ball-hawk safety and not a cover safety. If their D is spread out he has somewhat of a responsibility to cover and I dont think he is as good at that as others. But his reaction and ability to read QB's is elite when healthy.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts