1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Troy Polamalu

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by longtimefan, Feb 7, 2011.

1. JJP41

JJP41 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +215
    It isn't a matter of him adjusting.

Everyone figures he should be flying all over the field like he normally does no matter what.

If he's locked up in man coverage he obviously can't leave his man and if the ball is thrown to the other side of the field, he's not going to be a factor. It's no different than if he was playing cornerback and playing man coverage.

2. TheSnowPlow

TheSnowPlow Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +491
    Troy is the designated "Run around the field with your hair flying" guy. He's awesome at that.

Unfortunately, that doesn't work when it's Brady, Brees, Rodgers, etc. with the ball - even if he's not one-on-one.

Everyone thinks Troy is the awesomest ever, and I'm not going to say he's not a great Safety. I've seen big plays he's made. He's good when he is able to roam free as a freelance SS, but with the way the league has been changing into a pass-happy game, guys like Troy are less effective.

Troy is pretty intimidating to read about, but when you watch him in games - not just highlights on YouTube, but in actual games against top 5 QBs - he is less so. In fact, he's almost invisible.

That's just my opinion - we all have them. I've just seen Troy get burned too many times in games much like last night...

Aaron "Chemist" Rodgers broke down the Polamalecules. :happy0005:

:)

3. Rodgers in the House

Rodgers in the House Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +109

Dude, he sacked Rodgers. Not my favorite moment.

4. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,674
    We heard Clay Matthews name more.

Which shows who the real DPOY is and that those who voted for Troy made a mistake.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TheSnowPlow

TheSnowPlow Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +491
    Agreed. Troy also got beat by his man last night for 2 TDs. :)

6. JJP41

JJP41 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +215
    That's what you base your argument on?

Get serious.

• Like Like x 1
  7. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,977

THATS AWESOME!!

I am stealing that

• Like Like x 1
  8. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,098
    troy is a great player but hasnt been 100% in awhile. Anyone judging a player based on one game is foolish. Woodson didnt play well last yr against AZ, but still had an amazing yr.

But last night troy was pretty much a non factor. I have to watch the game again though just because I want to see how often Rodgers avoided him in close coverage.

9. TheSnowPlow

TheSnowPlow Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +491
    I'm not judging Troy on one game. I'm judging him on a pattern of work against top QBs - of which Rodgers is one of them.

Also, as I mentioned above, Troy got burned in coverage twice on the Jennings TDs. Rodgers threw his way just fine last night, imho.

10. VersusTheMoose

VersusTheMoose Greatest of All-Time

Ratings:
    +161
    He just didn't show up, the wrong player won DPoY.

11. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,098
    Wasnt calling you out it seemed like several people were putting him down overall.

Rodgers hit a pretty wide open jennings for one of the TDs and the other he was pretty open as well I think. but I am not 100% sure what kind of looks Rodgers gave him for the rest of the game.

12. JJP41

JJP41 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +215
    Wrong. He got beat once.

On the first TD, Polamalu was playing deep outside. Jennings was in the slot and Farrior had coverage on the seam route. Jennings beat Farrior. Just because Polamalu came over after the fact doesn't mean he was beaten. Jennings wasn't his responsiblity.

The second TD. he guessed wrong on the route.

13. TheSnowPlow

TheSnowPlow Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +491
    I know when Jennings caught that TD in the corner of the endzone, he beat Polamalu, who was trying to cover him - that was the one in the 4th Quarter.

The one in the second Quarter, Polamalu nailed him as he caught the ball for the TD, but he held onto it.

14. TheSnowPlow

TheSnowPlow Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +491
    Fair enough on the first TD - but Polamalu was in position to make the play and didn't.

On the second one, Jennings beat him. Period.

15. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,427
    Troy is a hell of a player, he just wasn't as big a factor as we expected him to be. He is DPOY, I guess we all expected more out of him. As others have posted, he hasn't been 100% in a while, also he is aging. Maybe he just ran out of gas at the end. I dunno, maybe our O line kept him in check. But Harrison wasn't much of a factor either, so you can't lay it all on Troy.

16. JJP41

JJP41 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +215
    He was playing deep outside, how was he in a position to make a play on the ball? His only play was to make a tackle which was after the fact since Jennings was already at the goal line.

17. TheSnowPlow

TheSnowPlow Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +491
    In real-time it looked like he could have knocked the ball out, but I'll have to go back and look at it again. :)

18. ThorMatthews

ThorMatthews Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +77
    He got blocked on a Blitz by Starks. It was great.

• Like Like x 1
  19. TheSnowPlow

TheSnowPlow Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +491
  20. Rodgers in the House

Rodgers in the House Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +109
    yeah but they were saying on Sirius all morning that he was hurt. Can't have it both ways.

21. TheSnowPlow

TheSnowPlow Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +491
    The "He was hurt" thing makes it easier for fans to accept the fact that he was pretty much a dud in that game. That's all.

22. Murgen

Murgen MechaPackzilla

Ratings:
    +585
    I think Lil Wayne cut polamalu's hair off and put the hair on Brett Farve. Farve figured if he couldn't throw a TD in a SB again, he could at least give them up. :-P

• Like Like x 1
  23. TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe TheGiftedApe

Ratings:
    +77
    Polamualu looked like he had an injury

24. Lunchboxer

Lunchboxer Guest

Ratings:
    +76
    I know just like the video someone posted said. You dont know what you got till you start losing stuff.

25. brett2520

brett2520 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +32
    I am in agreement that he was not 100% healthy at all this postseason. I like and respect him, but 1.) he was not as deserving as Matthews was for DPOY and 2.) I have always seen him as more of a ball-hawk safety and not a cover safety. If their D is spread out he has somewhat of a responsibility to cover and I dont think he is as good at that as others. But his reaction and ability to read QB's is elite when healthy.