Tramon Williams

Reaction score
oak paid jordy $3.6m and let him go. nice parting gift.
That’s a huge amount. But there’s also a huge conceptual difference.. that money was already spent per his contract whereas this one was not.
So the true equivalent scenario would’ve been to keep Jordy on for an additional 2 weeks past an off-season expiration date.. and pay him 4.6M instead of 3.6M, then cut him. Makes no sense whatsoever.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
100% correct. Tramon will enter camp as the safety opposite Amos and all of the young guys will be at CB, possibly with Breeland. I wasn't a fan of Breeland but who knows, sometimes it takes players a while to acclimate to a new team/scheme/role.

I'm fine with the Packers paying Tramon $1M to be on the roster. We certainly have no depth at safety and he might be mentoring a young buck from the draft.

Reaction score
My personal opinion is that Tramon looked lost at Safety. I remember several occasions starting at Foxborough that he was caught out of position.. then when the opponent made the play he was so late to the scene he’d missed the tackle.
I’m not interested in experimentation with a 35 year old switching positions. Last year was a desperation move but I’d prefer Tramon plays Corner and we draft a thumper day 2. Just my opinion but I’d rather have Burks at SS and Amos FS vs Tramon at either.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

100% correct. Tramon will enter camp as the safety opposite Amos and all of the young guys will be at CB.
I would not make that assumption until after the draft. Williams could be the 3rd. corner, or the 4th. corner/safety swing man. Jackson had a pretty rough rookie year and King can't seem to keep his shoulders in their sockets.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My personal opinion is that Tramon looked lost at Safety. I remember several occasions starting at Foxborough that he was caught out of position.. then when the opponent made the play he was so late to the scene he’d missed the tackle.
I’m not interested in experimentation with a 35 year old switching positions. Last year was a desperation move but I’d prefer Tramon plays Corner and we draft a thumper day 2. Just my opinion but I’d rather have Burks at SS and Amos FS vs Tramon at either.
he's played safety before...in cle...under pettine. he wasn't lost. remember he was back there with cb's that were less than healthy, inexperienced, and less than competent.
if they were to draft, or sign, a safety better than him he may end up getting cut later but the $1m to hold him just in case was prudent.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If this was a decision by the braintrust between Williams and Breeland, then they screwed up big time.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If this was a decision by the braintrust between Williams and Breeland, then they screwed up big time.
I doubt it was that simple. Breeland may want more than then the Packers can afford even with a release of Williams.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt it was that simple. Breeland may want more than then the Packers can afford even with a release of Williams.

You're probably right. if they're going to give Williams's bonus, that probably means they won't be cutting him and Breeland is gone.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Tramon Williams had a $1 mil roster bonus due if he was still on the roster as of the 3rd. day of the league year. That was yesterday.

If there was a plan to move on he would have been released by now.

This is a strong indication Breeland won't be re-signed.

While the Packers paying Williams a $1 million roster bonus is a strong indicator they plan to hold on to him it's still possible the team ends up releasing him as they would still save $3.75 million in cap space.

100% correct. Tramon will enter camp as the safety opposite Amos and all of the young guys will be at CB, possibly with Breeland. I wasn't a fan of Breeland but who knows, sometimes it takes players a while to acclimate to a new team/scheme/role.

I highly doubt the Packers plan on lining up Williams at safety in 2019. In my opinion Breeland played pretty well last season.

Just my opinion but I’d rather have Burks at SS and Amos FS vs
Tramon at either.

The Packers entering the season with Burks as their starting strong safety would be a huge risk.

he's played safety before...in cle...under pettine. he wasn't lost. remember he was back there with cb's that were less than healthy, inexperienced, and less than competent.
if they were to draft, or sign, a safety better than him he may end up getting cut later but the $1m to hold him just in case was prudent.

The Packers already signed a starting free safety in Amos, the position Williams primarily played late last season.

While Pettine was the Browns head coach Tramon played a total of only 152 snaps at both safety spots in two seasons.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While the Packers paying Williams a $1 million roster bonus is a strong indicator they plan to hold on to him it's still possible the team ends up releasing him as they would still save $3.75 million in cap space.
absolutely.

I highly doubt the Packers plan on lining up Williams at safety in 2019. In my opinion Breeland played pretty well last season.

maybe but i don't see him starting at cb except as a backup...and that's too much to pay a backup.
agree on breeland. breeland is the same size as williams, younger and faster. maybe he can play free safety. either way another safety is needed.

The Packers entering the season with Burks as their starting strong safety would be a huge risk.
yup.

The Packers already signed a starting free safety in Amos, the position Williams primarily played late last season.

amos is comfortable playing both safety positions though (at least that's what the Packers, and others, say). williams is a free. would be great to get another safety. one to play in the box and let amos play free or one to replace williams.

Reaction score
We know for a fact that he was a very successful Safety at Vanderbilt and everyone is trying to push him into a ILB role. It’s obvious thus far that hes not making an easy transition. Btw, This is exactly what the scouts were saying would happen pre-draft. Ironically, His weakness column? is everything you need for a ILB.
Burks athleticism is off the charts if you get a chance look at his combine results, it’s why we traded multiple picks for him. He ran the same 40 speed as Dix but he’s superior to just about every athletic. trait. He’s not a guy you want to get into a jump ball situation with. Williams is like a fish out of water back there it’s obvious to me anyway.

Why don’t we draft another strong safety thumper and let Burks compete for the back up spot to him. His potential there is better it’s a natural position he’s excelled at. He’s fine playing special teams in the meantime.

https://lombardiave.com/2018/07/13/packers-oren-burks-2018/
I added one of many articles alluding to him being a difference maker at multiple positions. But all his strengths align in coverage and all his weaknesses align with not being a definitive run stopper. Notice the
“Prediction” of his stats before the season began.. kinda hard to get 3 INT playing on ST.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

There's a reason to keep Williams vs. Breeland besides the fact Breeland would likely cost more.

Even if a safety was drafted high with the intention of starting him, and the nickel backfield was Amos, rookie, Alexander, King and Jackson, the current dime and depth guys are just guys. And there remain injury and performance issues in that group.

Williams ranges from serviceable to decent at 3 positions: FS, perimeter corner and slot corner. Breeland's best position is probably slot corner while certainly being an adequate option on the perimeter if needed, but that leaves a hole at FS safety depth.

I don't see the $1 mil signing bonus as insurance. I see Williams himself as the insurance even if that safety is drafted, more if that guy is not on the board when the time comes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I see Williams as slightly above average but no thrills Slot CB, an average perimeter CB and nothing but a temporary Safety valve in the event of a collapse at Safety (see the 2018) due to him being converted and learning the positiin there with the Browns.
I’d rather Tramon plays his last season where he has excelled at times early in career. He’s never really excelled at Safety anywhere, so why would we want a filler? Championship teams don’t settle for fillers anywhere at any position at any time (umless it’s an emergency)
Its way too late in his career to make him wear multiple hats. That might’ve been ok to experiment until his early 30’s but we have an opportunity to go after a long term solution now. We have the draft capital to cure this solution and we should attack day 2 to get a specific player to fit the specific role.
I like “Dairylandexpress” mock draft putting Taylor Rapp as a long term candidate to inject the position with competition.
https://dairylandexpress.com/2019/03/17/green-bay-packers-tale-two-mock-drafts/5/

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see Williams as slightly above average but no thrills Slot CB, an average perimeter CB and nothing but a temporary Safety valve in the event of a collapse at Safety (see the 2018) due to him being converted and learning the positiin there with the Browns.
I’d rather Tramon plays his last season where he has excelled at times early in career. He’s never really excelled at Safety anywhere, so why would we want a filler? Championship teams don’t settle for fillers anywhere at any position at any time (umless it’s an emergency)
Its way too late in his career to make him wear multiple hats. That might’ve been ok to experiment until his early 30’s but we have an opportunity to go after a long term solution now. We have the draft capital to cure this solution and we should attack day 2 to get a specific player to fit the specific role.
I like “Dairylandexpress” mock draft putting Taylor Rapp as a long term candidate to inject the position with competition.
https://dairylandexpress.com/2019/03/17/green-bay-packers-tale-two-mock-drafts/5/

Rapp is a good player that I like, but he's only playing SS.

My preference would be a better coverage safety to pair with Amos.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

While Pettine was the Browns head coach Tramon played a total of only 152 snaps at both safety spots in two seasons.

Tramon will without a doubt, play some at safety next year.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I actually like them keeping Williams. I would have been fine with them releasing him if that was the difference between keeping Breeland and letting him walk, but Tramon brings a lot to the table.

He's versatile enough to be serviceable at two positions. Plus, the average age of the rest of the DB's who figure to make the roster is about 23-24. The experience and leadership, especially of a guy who is as good a leader and technician as Williams is, is a nice compliment to such a young defensive backfield.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually like them keeping Williams. I would have been fine with them releasing him if that was the difference between keeping Breeland and letting him walk, but Tramon brings a lot to the table.

He's versatile enough to be serviceable at two positions. Plus, the average age of the rest of the DB's who figure to make the roster is about 23-24. The experience and leadership, especially of a guy who is as good a leader and technician as Williams is, is a nice compliment to such a young defensive backfield.
There is no point in cutting Williams if we aren't gonna sign Breeland anyway. While I see the pros you mention, I don't like him at S at all and hence consider his versatility marginal. But yes, he would be considered more of a leader than Breeland could be. I Still think our young CB's might find Breeland eperienced enough to consider him as a mentor.

But you speak in the past tense as if the option of signing Breeland is off the table already. How so? I can't find anywhere that Breeland has signed somewhere already and I have developed somewhat of a man crush on him after I processed the first wave of FA madness.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
There is no point in cutting Williams if we aren't gonna sign Breeland anyway. While I see the pros you mention, I don't like him at S at all and hence consider his versatility marginal. But yes, he would be considered more of a leader than Breeland could be. I Still think our young CB's might find Breeland eperienced enough to consider him as a mentor.

But you speak in the past tense as if the option of signing Breeland is off the table already. How so? I can't find anywhere that Breeland has signed somewhere already and I have developed somewhat of a man crush on him after I processed the first wave of FA madness.

I don't know where you got the idea that I think Breeland is off the table?

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know where you got the idea that I think Breeland is off the table?
I misunderstood, you used the words "I would have been fine with..." Hence i thought that Breeland was signed somewhere or we were now contractual obliged to pay Tramon and hence wouldn't net as much by cutting him

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I misunderstood, you used the words "I would have been fine with..." Hence i thought that Breeland was signed somewhere or we were now contractual obliged to pay Tramon and hence wouldn't net as much by cutting him

Oh, I see.

I meant that if they cut him so that they could keep Breeland, I'd have been ok with the move. In other words-- I never thought he was a guy who needed to be kept at all costs.

However as the market strings along, there's a good chance that they could bring Breeland back on a one year deal.

D

Deleted member 6794

amos is comfortable playing both safety positions though (at least that's what the Packers, and others, say). williams is a free. would be great to get another safety. one to play in the box and let amos play free or one to replace williams.

The Packers might need an upgrade at strong safety but could use an hybrid inside linebacker/safety to start at the position as well.

Even if a safety was drafted high with the intention of starting him, and the nickel backfield was Amos, rookie, Alexander, King and Jackson, the current dime and depth guys are just guys. And there remain injury and performance issues in that group.

Williams ranges from serviceable to decent at 3 positions: FS, perimeter corner and slot corner. Breeland's best position is probably slot corner while certainly being an adequate option on the perimeter if needed, but that leaves a hole at FS safety depth.

I don't see the $1 mil signing bonus as insurance. I see Williams himself as the insurance even if that safety is drafted, more if that guy is not on the board when the time comes.

I don't expect the Packers to pay Williams that kind of money to primarily be a backup providing depth.

Tramon will without a doubt, play some at safety next year.

In my opinion there's still a possibility Williams doesn't make the roster.

H

HardRightEdge

I don't expect the Packers to pay Williams that kind of money to primarily be a backup providing depth.
Ordinarily that would be the case. However, as the #1 backup at 5 positions, including SS where Amos would move to that spot with Williams playing FS, while also being the dime DB, the odds he'd get 10 starts and 700 snaps are pretty high. That's assuming the Packers draft a safety that takes Williams out of the starting lineup.

I don't consider Williams a lock, but it will take a couple of DBs showing they can step in before that happens.

As it stands now, would want your starting safety pair so be Amos at FS and Jones at SS or Williams at FS and "Smash" at SS. I'd take the latter.

D

Deleted member 6794

As it stands now, would want your starting safety pair so be Amos at FS and Jones at SS or Williams at FS and "Smash" at SS. I'd take the latter.

I would definitely prefer to line up Amos at free safety and the Packers to add a hybrid inside linebacker/strong safety to take the majority of Williams' snaps.

H

HardRightEdge

I would definitely prefer to line up Amos at free safety and the Packers to add a hybrid inside linebacker/strong safety to take the majority of Williams' snaps.
My comment assumed a starting combo of Amos at FS / ? at SS. I was addressing the injury eventuality. The plan might be a draftee or Jones or Burks competing for the SS spot. None of those guys starting makes Williams expendable.

Even if Packers draft a guy with the intent of starting him at SS, Williams is still the #1 backup at 4 positions (the 3 corners and FS), or maybe 5 positions if a Williams FS / Amos SS combo is perceived to be a better option than Amos FS / Jones or Burks SS if that drafted SS is injured. At this stage, I'd prefer the former combo.

I think the Packers would have to add a CB capable of playing dime and being the #1 CB backup at all 3 positions to take away enough of Williams' backup roles to make him expendable. Even so, you'd be without a backup FS, a role Breeland or another versatile CB could not fill.

Cap is tight and there are other needs to be filled on days 1 and 2 that are not likely to include a CB expected to play dime and start if one of the 3 top CBs are injured.

$3.7 mil is not a lot for the versatility a #1 backup at 4 or 5 positions + dime provides. If you figure the starters average 2 missed games, that's 8 or 10 starts plus dime duty. That's a lot of snaps. If one of those 4 or 5 ends up out longer or on IR that's even more snaps.

Members online

Latest posts