Training Camp 2019 notes

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm rolling my eyes at "absolutely totaled". The air bags didn't pop and the wheel and tire are intact which tells you it was a low speed affair or a glancing blow where the truck did not get into the frame or motor. It might be as much as $15,000 in damage assuming a left suspension rebuild, OEM parts and Klaus in the paint room.
there must be a fair amount of rear end damage from the looks of the truck but yeah. frame damage maybe? i'd think there was a third car involved we can't see too.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Speaking of accidents. Sad to report that former Packer RB Cedric Benson was killed last night in a motorcycle accident. Benson was only 36. :(

H

HardRightEdge

there must be a fair amount of rear end damage from the looks of the truck but yeah. frame damage maybe? i'd think there was a third car involved we can't see too.
On third thought, where all the junk is on the ground would suggest at least Moore's vehicle didn't travel after impact. My sideswipe theory probably won't hold up.

This is kinda like speculating that a prospect will be a Mercedes based on non-contact drills then finding out he's a wreck when contact begins. I now regret having even commented on the matter except that part about my American liberties, goddamit.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
On third thought, where all the junk is on the ground would suggest at least Moore's vehicle didn't travel after impact. My sideswipe theory probably won't hold up.

This is kinda like speculating that a prospect will be a Mercedes based on non-contact drills then finding out he's a wreck when contact begins. I now regret having even commented on the matter except that part about my American liberties, goddamit.

May end up being a lot like the "Magic Loogie" until we know all the facts. ;)

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

H

HardRightEdge

Speaking of accidents. Sad to report that former Packer RB Cedric Benson was killed last night in a motorcycle accident. Benson was only 36. :(
A friend's ex-wife who is a physician's assistant told me that ER practitioners refer to motorcycle riders as rolling organ donors. It's one of those things like skydiving, rock climbing, scaling Mt. Everest, etc. No matter how careful or well schooled and prepared one might be, things far out of one's control too often lead to disaster. I have a hard time feeling pity for folks who engage in high risk behavior.

The thing I remember most about Benson is his Lisfranc injury that ended his career. So, two take aways are (1) take care of your feet and (2) don't ride a motorcycle.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yup, I don't like my chances much on a Cycle VS. Car or really any object. While I feel pretty confident in riding a cycle on an open road, put me around unaware or distracted drivers and I feel like I am riding a "Donor Bike".

Moore's accident the other day, might have looked like this had it been with a cycle.

H

HardRightEdge

Yup, I don't like my chances much on a Cycle VS. Car or really any object. While I feel pretty confident in riding a cycle on an open road, put me around unaware or distracted drivers and I feel like I am riding a "Donor Bike".

Moore's accident the other day, might have looked like this had it been with a cycle.

Poker, you might want to consider whether it is just a matter of time. I did some very crazy sh*t in my youth which gives me shivers looking back on it, but we're grown up now, right? I like you. Trade it for a set of golf clubs or something.

All it takes is one texting idiot. Unaware and distracted drivers are everywhere. It seems I can't be on the road more than 15 minutes without somebody demonstrating poor lane discipline. Just yesterday I was preparing to pass a van on the interstate that was wavering back and forth in its lane. Drunk, maybe? I made sure the lane to my left was clear if I needed an escape route. My wife looked over as I went by. It was a young girl with a magazine open on the steering wheel.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words HRE, I gave up cycling quite a while ago, all for the very reasons you stated. I should have been using past tenses in my descriptions, instead of typing that while cycling down the Interstate! ;)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
50% of the drivers are staring at their ****ing phones and it's not even an exaggeration. It's so out of control. Almost had a big one yesterday with some stupid person texting forever. just small 2lane highway in northern WI heading to a cabin. Lots of traffic, so no real passing, just a long line of cars and I had the pleasure to be stuck behind this *******, 60-30 50, 40, 35, 60 and all over the road. Well, she went off it texting at about the worst possible time.

Narrow road, no real shoulder other than some gravel and this particular spot she decided to leave the pavement had 3 very big washouts, so dropped right off. How she didn't get T-***** in front of us by on coming traffic I'll never know. She miraculously regained control and put it back in our lane without the 2nd spin out.

Thankfully I had plenty of stopping distance or could have taken the ditch, I was prepared. Do you think that snapped that stupid ***** back to reality? Heck no, next 20 miles she was same ****ing thing, all over the road and couldn't keep a speed to save her life. The most ironic part of this thing? She pulled off in the middle of nowhere at some tiny cemetery. Maybe she knew she needed a plot sooner than later.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
50% of the drivers are staring at their ******* phones and it's not even an exaggeration. It's so out of control. Almost had a big one yesterday with some stupid person texting forever. just small 2lane highway in northern WI heading to a cabin. Lots of traffic, so no real passing, just a long line of cars and I had the pleasure to be stuck behind this *******, 60-30 50, 40, 35, 60 and all over the road. Well, she went off it texting at about the worst possible time.

Narrow road, no real shoulder other than some gravel and this particular spot she decided to leave the pavement had 3 very big washouts, so dropped right off. How she didn't get T-***** in front of us by on coming traffic I'll never know. She miraculously regained control and put it back in our lane without the 2nd spin out.

Thankfully I had plenty of stopping distance or could have taken the ditch, I was prepared. Do you think that snapped that stupid ***** back to reality? Heck no, next 20 miles she was same ******* thing, all over the road and couldn't keep a speed to save her life. The most ironic part of this thing? She pulled off in the middle of nowhere at some tiny cemetery. Maybe she knew she needed a plot sooner than later.

Not to take this too far off course, but I would LOVE to see auto's ALL having to be equipped with cell phone signal jammers. Carry a damn pager if you are THAT important that you have to be in touch. But if your engine is running, no cell phone usage.

That might also slow down the putting up of cell phone towers EVERYWHERE, because all the big cell phone companies claim they have to keep motorists connected on every mile of every road.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Juice gets scolded and sidelined in practice today. I think the kid has potential, but he needs to lose the attitude for now. Him jumping up after a run Thursday night and doing the "Zeke Elliott Feed me" was a sign of a guy that needs to learn he hasn't earned playing with attitude yet. The nice run ended up being nullified by a penalty anyway.

"Matt LaFleur just scolded Dexter Williams heavily for a failed play during a red zone drill. Told him to “get out” and now he’s standing off to the side."

"Great".....
Rob Demovsky
@RobDemovsky

·

2m

"Looked like Jimmy Graham just dislocated a finger. Ball deflected and he immediately ran off the field and headed inside."

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Once again, it sounds like the Packer offense is totally struggling without #12 on the field for practice today. :eek:

Rob Demovsky
@RobDemovsky

·
25m

As @BillHuberSI
just said as Crazy Train was playing, this practice has gone off the rails. One of the worst offensive practices Ray Nitschke Field — or any field — has ever seen.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A friend's ex-wife who is a physician's assistant told me that ER practitioners refer to motorcycle riders as rolling organ donors. It's one of those things like skydiving, rock climbing, scaling Mt. Everest, etc. No matter how careful or well schooled and prepared one might be, things far out of one's control too often lead to disaster. I have a hard time feeling pity for folks who engage in high risk behavior.

The thing I remember most about Benson is his Lisfranc injury that ended his career. So, two take aways are (1) take care of your feet and (2) don't ride a motorcycle.
“Don’t ride a motorcycle.” Amen to that.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
50% of the drivers are staring at their ******* phones and it's not even an exaggeration. It's so out of control. Almost had a big one yesterday with some stupid person texting forever. just small 2lane highway in northern WI heading to a cabin. Lots of traffic, so no real passing, just a long line of cars and I had the pleasure to be stuck behind this *******, 60-30 50, 40, 35, 60 and all over the road. Well, she went off it texting at about the worst possible time.

Thankfully I had plenty of stopping distance or could have taken the ditch, I was prepared. Do you think that snapped that stupid ***** back to reality? Heck no, next 20 miles she was same ******* thing, all over the road and couldn't keep a speed to save her life. The most ironic part of this thing? She pulled off in the middle of nowhere at some tiny cemetery. Maybe she knew she needed a plot sooner than later.
Good thing you stayed behind her.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’d have been happier in front of her, and if I could have gotten around her I would have.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup. I have a friend who was driving a new $30K Prius, barely got hit from the side by a 64 Chrysler New Yorker. The Prius was declared totaled due to the firewall being compromised, the Chrysler, barely looked like it had hit a squirrel.

Reminds me a bit of the NFL today. Guys are getting bigger, faster and stronger, while the equipment worn might be safer, the collisions are doing some damage.

I always used to think old fashioned American iron was the safest way to go but then I saw this.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I always used to think old fashioned American iron was the safest way to go but then I saw this.

Wow, that is surprising actually. That guy in the Bel Air didn't make it I am afraid.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Then you may as well include driving in general. His accident could've happened to anyone driving any kind of vehicle and dying at the age of 36 which is a relatively young, and leaving his wife and children behind (assuming has a family of his own) should be more than enough reason to offer sympathy. I've had several people in my family die due to vehicle accidents, some of which didn't bring it upon themselves and did all the right things. Matter of fact I'm not sure if you've heard, but Nascar racer Dale Earnhardt Jr narrowly escaped death along with his family after a freak accident causing a plane crash. I guess that goes along with high risk behavior too doesn't it?

I'm sorry but what you said kinda rubbed me the wrong way. I may not do extreme stuff like rock climbing, sky diving, and so on, but I do know accidents happen, and I can sympathize if not for their friends' family and loved ones. Having said that my sympathy will only go so far if people do stupid **** that jeopardizes not only themselves along with others that easily could've been preventable. Benson's accident could've easily happen if he was driving a car. I simply hope he was not driving under the influence otherwise my sympathy would lessen for him.

Benson was a former Packer and while his time was short, he wasn't a bad teammate during his tenure here. That alone is enough to deserve our sympathy. =/

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I had the pleasure to be stuck behind this *******, 60-30 50, 40, 35, 60 and all over the road.
"Hello? 9-1-1 I'd like to report a driver that is having trouble staying in her lane." Don't say drunk or under the influence and you are not in any trouble whatsoever not that you would be and your conscious is clear. For all you know she was diabetic and having an episode until you saw the phone. Let the LEO protect her from herself.

Not to take this too far off course, but I would LOVE to see auto's ALL having to be equipped with cell phone signal jammers.
So much for google maps and streaming music. Let alone any passengers streaming.
Benson was a former Packer and while his time was short, he wasn't a bad teammate during his tenure here. That alone is enough to deserve our sympathy.
Packer or not, the family of any 36 yo killed in an accident deserves sympathy.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I called 911 on a trucker one night. They pulled him over as soon as he crossed the border from MN to WI by La Crosse

I should have called on her too

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So much for google maps and streaming music. Let alone any passengers streaming.
Packer or not, the family of any 36 yo killed in an accident deserves sympathy.

Yeah, we all survived just fine without cell phones and texting. I can use my plug in GPS as well as my plug in devices that hold 1000's of songs, if it means just one persons life is saved.

Not to get on a Soap Box, but I watched this video 3 years ago and ever since, when I get into my truck, my phone gets turned off and put into my glove box anytime I drive. Please watch it and share it with whoever you want to......thank you.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
J’Mon Moore said his car crash on Friday was due to wet road conditions. “Man, it was raining hard as hell,” he said. “I just hydroplaned from (Highway) 29 west, spun out all the way to 29 East.” He said he was not cited for any violations.

Members online

Latest posts