2019 Draft Class - Beginning to Prove It in 2020

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So many dogs when the draft happened...so so many....here we are and honestly I don't remember a draft class in my recent memory that from top to bottom has as many guys excelling, on the rise or at minimum contributing. WAAAAAAY too early to say this, but this group is trending in an insane direction as to how solid this draft class was for GB.

Rashan Gary - Anyone watching his tape and isolating their attention on him is seeing precisely why some in positions of power were so incredibly happy with him at #12 overall. His has a quick twitch that cannot be taught, strength to a degree his frame doesn't seem capable of and speed for days off that edge. He is exhibiting a prowess that is going to make the Packers possibly save some serious cash and not blink if they decide to let Preston go. Gary's snap count is nearing 50% and he seems capable and ready for that to only continue to grow. He is one excelling IMO.

Darnell Savage - Forget who it was that I was listening to but they were talking about how it just seems to their eye Savage is starting to exhibited traits that the NFL game is finally slowing down to him. In college at times it just seemed his judgement was faster than anyone on the field and it is starting to flash some...his hands are arguably IMO the best out of our DBs (yes that includes Jaire). To me he is excelling...

Elgton Jenkins - I mean what can we say...the dude was one of the best guards as a rookie...is doing literally EVERYTHING but LT essentially for us, and he can do that if needed even. He IMO has the chance to be one of the BEST offensive lineman in the game at some point - BIG fan. Excelling seems an understatement in my opinion for him...there is nothing more you can expect from a guy drafted first overall or UDFA in his second year.

Kingsley Keke - Sitting on that draft all the way from the 2nd clear to the 5th was tough...and honestly Keke to many shouldn't have still been there in the 5th. He currently in 2020 is playing just shy of 44% of the snaps, up from 9% in his rookie year - and by all accounts seems to have overtaken Adams, Lancaster as the primary backups to Clark. That is saying a lot for a 5th rounder. Insanely good grade by PFF in 2020 at 74+....while Kenny Clark is at a 64 and change. PFF grading doesn't indicate which is better, but Keke is for exceeding any realistic expectations one should have for a second year player drafted on Day 3.

Ka'Dar Hollman - Finally in the 6th round, one can begin to get somewhat critical and I don't feel excelling is the proper category to place Hollman in. However, playing 13% of the snaps defensively is easily in the contributing category...and many I trust far more than my judgement still like what they're seeing in Hollman as far as progression. PFF has him grading out a tick above Sullivan...but Sullivan has a MUCH larger sample size of snaps to grade (over 400 more snaps)...so take that for what it is worth. Contributor for sure though, and for a second year guy out of the 6th round anyone will take that!

Dexter Williams - Ah...the promising RB out of Notre Dame some (including myself) pegged as the possible steal of the 3rd day might be the first hiccup of the draft...but getting all the way to the 6th before a hiccup is insanely good. Now to be fair it is vastly too early to peg Dexter a waste or a bust, if you can call a 6th such a thing. He's been trusted when needed to be elevated to the active gameday roster...albeit never really showing much. His pass blocking needs the most work IMO...and seemed to always hear his first year playbook absorption was an issue. Hard to call him a contributor...yet, key word yet.

Ty Summers - 7th rounder...that has started some game days for us due to injuries and such. You could stop there and he has already exceeded ANY expectations you should have for a 7th round ILB. Summers is NEVER in my opinion going to be more than a depth and special teamer, but that is fine and for a 7th rounder we will take that role and contribution any day of season.

Let's not forget....UDFAs pulled in of note Curtis Bolton, Kabion Ento, Yosh Nijman, Randy Ramsey

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What...?!?? Are you saying (gasp) that internet jackals on this forum were premature in blasting a draft class? INSANITY SIR!!!

I agree with you, that even now it's a bit early to assess. The third year is a better time to assess if there is a trend or a player merely had one good season. There is a solid group of players in that class including a star in Jenkins.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Always thought Gary was going to take some time to develop. Kid is going to be great if he keeps this up and stays healthy.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Darnell Savage - Forget who it was that I was listening to but they were talking about how it just seems to their eye Savage is starting to exhibited traits that the NFL game is finally slowing down to him. In college at times it just seemed his judgement was faster than anyone on the field and it is starting to flash some...his hands are arguably IMO the best out of our DBs (yes that includes Jaire). To me he is excelling...

In this league you need someone who can be a real difference maker in the middle of your defense. It could be a stud middle backer, or it could be a high end free safety. Darnell Savage is looking like he could be our new Nick Collins. The kind of rangy long ball chasing center fielder who cleans up errant passes and takes away those three step and pop down the sideline rainbows. He could be the kind of player lets us crowd the intermediate routes with our SS. The kind of guy who just make everyone else on the defense look and play better.

Last edited:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What...?!?? Are you saying (gasp) that internet jackals on this forum were premature in blasting a draft class? INSANITY SIR!!!

I agree with you, that even now it's a bit early to assess. The third year is a better time to assess if there is a trend or a player merely had one good season. There is a solid group of players in that class including a star in Jenkins.

Wait so Gary and Savage are making highlight level splash plays and identify as the star, a guard?

You sir are a football connoisseur.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In this league you need someone who can be a real difference maker in the middle of your defense. It could be a stud middle backer, or it could be a high end free safety. Darnell Savage is looking like he could be our new Nick Collins. The kind of rangy long ball chasing center fielder who cleans up errant passes and takes away those three step and pop down the sideline rainbows. He could be the kind of player lets us crowd the intermediate routes with our SS. The kind of guy who just make everyone else on the defense look and play better.

Oh man, comparing him to my favorite Packer Safety of my lifetime of 35 years. (not including Woodson as he was EVERYWHERE)

Dangit, I literally hurt for Nick - dude was going to be a legend I think had he not got injured. So incredibly happy he got that SB before he was done.

If Savage can continue and even get to 85-90%% of the guy Collins was I'd be ecstatic.

Last edited:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh man, comparing him to my favorite Packer Safety of my lifetime of 35 years. (not including Woodson as he was EVERYWHERE)

Dangit, I literally hurt for Nick - due was going to be a legend I think had he not got injured. So incredibly happy he got that SB before he was done.

If Savage can continue and even get to 85-90%% of the guy Collins was I'd be ecstatic.

He'll never develop Nick's ability to make plays running with the ball, Nick was a former running back, but I could see him replicating alot of Nick's ability in coverage.

EDIT: Collins managed 21 picks in his career, 4 of which were returned for 6. This does not include his pick 6 in Super Bowl XLV. That means he was scoring nearly 20% of the time in which he had the ball in his hands, unreal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man....for over a year after Nick's career ended I had my desktop picture set to the picture of him on his knees, looking up and arms stretched out after scoring that touchdown in the Super Bowl.

Literally wells up some tears thinking about his injury and loss.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a signed Pic from the super bowl INT, of course he got penalized for the celebration, but i like it :)

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember when Collins was up and coming that he slipped on the concrete(?) that was really close (a couple feet) from the sidelines. I think I read that Thompson said he would fix that. But I believe I have seen people slipping again. That is so dangerous and so stupid and they have it at other stadiums. Maybe they think they need it for stretchers or something but I am sure if they actually gave it a little thought; they could come up with something better. Collins really could have been hurt.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember when Collins was up and coming that he slipped on the concrete(?) that was really close (a couple feet) from the sidelines. I think I read that Thompson said he would fix that. But I believe I have seen people slipping again. That is so dangerous and so stupid and they have it at other stadiums. Maybe they think they need it for stretchers or something but I am sure if they actually gave it a little thought; they could come up with something better. Collins really could have been hurt.
going back to the 90's, had done some work on the stadium and that season players kept slipping on concrete as they went to do their Lambeau Leaps. It was put in by someone i knew, well his company and kept giving him crap about that. Questioned whether he was a real Packer fan or not LOL

But yeah, hard surfaces and cleats don't mix.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Rodgers on pat.mcafee praised Gary...said he was finally showing why he was drafted. Able to re act to play call and not think about the play call

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers on pat.mcafee praised Gary...said he was finally showing why he was drafted. Able to re act to play call and not think about the play call
Been Watching Gary for a few weeks now and it should be obvious why they picked him. He's strong, fast and explosive. he's showing up almost everytime I see him on the field. The stats are going to come.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Favorite: Darnell Savage
This was a position that had to be filled, and Savage is a player that I coveted prior to the draft. The reason though that this is my favorite pick is because Gutekunst identified Savage as a must have prospect, and he did what was necessary to pull the trigger and get his guy. This is the kind of proactive GM behavior that we need. Identify your guy, go get your guy. If you feel he's that big of a difference maker, it's difficult to overpay. I think the Packers nailed this pick.

Least Favorite: Jace Sternberger
I have my doubts that he will be capable of becoming an above average starter at tight end. I like his ability to catch the ball and run precise routes, and with Rodgers throwing him the ball he could be a threat in the middle of the field. But nothing else really jumps out at me. Even though I like our young receivers, I still would have liked to see a high upside receiver taken in this spot. I should note though that even though this is my least favorite, I'm not totally against the pick which speaks to how well I think Gute managed this draft.

Best Value: Dexter Williams
His personal issues are well documented, but to get a talent like this in the 6th round has the potential to pay big dividends. Really has all of the traits that you look for in a back. Vision, quick feet, explosive big play threat. And a good pass catcher as well. He'll need to improve in pass blocking, but if he's able to stay out of trouble and focus on football, he'll be an absolute steal of a late round pick that could really challenge Jones for snaps. I like the potential thought of this duo moving forward, with Williams being a stable back for depth purposes.

Worst Value: ???
Difficult to answer. It could turn out to be Gary if it flops the way that it has the potential to. You could make the argument for Savage as well due to the draft capitol it took to get him. But for the most part, I think the Packers made some pretty sound picks with high upside guys. I'm not overly disappointed with any pick.

Biggest Immediate Impact: Darnell Savage
I really like this football player. I think he'll have the biggest immediate impact because I think he's a day 1 starter and I think that he's polished enough to produce immediately. He just has really great football instincts and given the issues the Packers have had at this position in recent years, I think it's a position the Packers will see the most improvement. His ability to close the gap is going to go an extremely long way in Pettine being allowed to be more aggressive up front. He will change the way the Packers are able to play team defense.

EDIT: as a side note, Jenkins comes in at second with the overall versatility he'll bring up front. He has a great chance at starting week 1.

Sleeper: Kingsley Keke
I'll be interested to see what Pettine can do with him. Has the versatility to move all over the place, which is key in Pettine's system. He has size, length, quickness, and is a disrupter. Seems to be pretty durable with no real injuries that I'm aware of. For a 5th round guy, I think he's got a real chance of being a key contributor moving forward.
This was my post shortly after the 2019 draft. Doesn't happen often at all, but I got a little wood on the ball with this post.

Not much that I see differently at this point. I'm loving the trajectory Savage is on, Jace has disappointed as I expected, Dexter still has the ability to produce at some point in the future especially if we don't retain Jones, Jenkins is solid as a rock as a versatile guy that the Packers have moved around as needed, and Keke has shown some boom as well.

We all knew Gary was a boom/bust player. Starting to show signs of real promise.

First impressions after a draft are rarely correct, but I had the best feeling after this draft than any of Gute's three drafts thus far.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not much that I see differently at this point. I'm loving the trajectory Savage is on, Jace has disappointed as I expected,
Jace is disappointing in the same way Tonyan was disappointing. Has not had much of a chance. I have seen Jace make some very good blocks and he has sure hands. I think he will be good. Really surprised with the three we have and Deguara coming back that some think TE is a position of need.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jace is disappointing in the same way Tonyan was disappointing. Has not had much of a chance. I have seen Jace make some very good blocks and he has sure hands. I think he will be good. Really surprised with the three we have and Deguara coming back that some think TE is a position of need.
I have no idea why you have decided Sternberger has “sure hands”. He has not had enough targets to really make a determination either way... but his first few targets were unimpressive to say the least. He has made a few good catches since, but certainly not enough to say that he has sure hands.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Savage is more Tyran Matthieu than Nick Collins. He’s been playing closer to the LOS lately, and been better for it.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Expectation levels are much different between a 3rd round pick and an UDFA.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no idea why you have decided Sternberger has “sure hands”. He has not had enough targets to really make a determination either way... but his first few targets were unimpressive to say the least. He has made a few good catches since, but certainly not enough to say that he has sure hands.
I am a pretty good judge of good hands imho. And I believe he can catch the ball very well. He physically has the attributes you like in a TE. He also reportedly caught the ball very well in college. Like you say, he has not had a lot of opportunities so there is no reason to say TE is a position of need. We will see.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Gary is learning to harness his explosive power and turn it into pressure and production with some more consistency. I still think he tries to get the edge too often, and I don't know if that's coaching or his own inclinations. When he works through the tackle or works inside, he seems to be more effective.

The most consistent thing about Savage to this point in his career has been his inconsistency. But it does seem like he's slowly pushing the ration of bad plays to good plays in favor of the latter. He's shown in recent weeks some of that ability to play center field and range over the top, which is the skill set that made him worth a 1st round pick.

Jenkins is one of the best draft picks in that entire 2019 class. He's been very good from the word go, regardless of where you want to line him up. Just a home run.

Keke was always an interesting prospect because he was clearly an interior DL body in college and TAMU had to ask him to play on the edge because they lacked options. He still doesn't hold up well at the POA if he has to deal with drive blocking, but when he can shoot gaps and disrupt, he's been really good.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some guys take a few years to hit their stride in the NFL (Gary). Others fit in right away and then experience the sophomore slump (Savage). Then there are the bonafide studs that grab the reins and never look back (Jenkins). Different paths for different guys, but all three are proving that they belong.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Expectation levels are much different between a 3rd round pick and an UDFA.
Yes, but a lot of people liked Tonyan. And so he got his chance, did well, and Sternberger waits. I hope the spread it around thing continues and Deguara won't have to wait because I believe he can do well also. I want to use them all.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I suspect that this is Lewis' last year with the Packers. Next year we will have Tonyan, Sternberger, and Deguara ready to go. If we had two TEs that can both block and catch.....man will we be in great shape.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I suspect that this is Lewis' last year with the Packers. Next year we will have Tonyan, Sternberger, and Deguara ready to go. If we had two TEs that can both block and catch.....man will we be in great shape.

Unless I have Sternberger pegged wrong, I don't think they will have a true Y on the roster after Lewis moves on (if he moves on).

I think they brought Lewis back despite his age mostly because he can handle himself in line, whereas Tonyan is more of an F and Deguara is a pure H.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless I have Sternberger pegged wrong, I don't think they will have a true Y on the roster after Lewis moves on (if he moves on).

I think they brought Lewis back despite his age mostly because he can handle himself in line, whereas Tonyan is more of an F and Deguara is a pure H.
They just put a TE from Detroit on the practice squad. Supposedly he is a very good blocker. Doesn't have the size that Mercedes has but not many do. Maybe they are thinking about this new guy as the blocking TE.

Members online

Latest posts