Training Camp 2019 notes

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Moore's lack of regular season snaps in 2018 and his continuance of dropping balls in this years camps and games, has to have him at the very low end of the depth chart, maybe #8. Had he shown the ability to catch the ball in the past and this was just a random case of the yips, maybe the Packers keep him. But this issue has plagued him from day 1 and not even his 4th round stature is going to save him IMO.

I also don't think they keep both Shepherd and Davis on the 53, since neither of them appear to be high enough on the WR depth chart, but one will be kept as a returner. I don't think Davis is eligible to be on a PS, so keeping him and trying to get Shepherd to the PS might be the prudent thing to do. That is if they feel the 2 are pretty equal at WR and Davis is a bit better at returns. Personally, I like what I have seen from Shepherd at both WR and returns. I never was impressed by Davis at WR and often question his decisions returning punts, couple that with his injury history and I'm fine with Shepherd being given the job.

The other real battle at WR that I see is between EQB and Lazard. They may be battling for the #5 spot, with the loser cut, due to Davis/Shepherd being kept to return punts/kicks.
I don't see either of them making it safely to the Practice squad. There are things I like about both of those WR's, but Lazard is really making a name for himself among his teammates and coaches. Whereas EQB seems to be more of an aloof guy, with his Dad calling the shots. I expect to see both get a lot of balls thrown at them in the next 2 weeks.

Again I see the final WR roster looking like this and I am leaning towards only 6 are kept.

Keep 6:
  • Adams
  • MVS
  • GA
  • JK
  • EQB/Lazard
  • Davis/Shepherd
Keep 7:
  • Adams
  • MVS
  • GA
  • JK
  • EQ
  • Lazard
  • Davis/Shepherd

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't see Moore making the final 53. If the Packers still think he has potential and its just one more year of seasoning, they might want to put him on ice and sneak him to the PS. If he starts making plays in these final 2 games and they cut him, another team might just grab him.
Hard to say if someone else would pick him up. I tend to think no because he hasn’t done anything very noteworthy. I think time on the PS would do him some good. He’s a talented player, he just has an incredibly bad case of the yips. Finally, given the depth of the WR group, I just don’t see him making the 53.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Moore's lack of regular season snaps in 2018 and his continuance of dropping balls in this years camps and games, has to have him at the very low end of the depth chart, maybe #8. Had he shown the ability to catch the ball in the past and this was just a random case of the yips, maybe the Packers keep him. But this issue has plagued him from day 1 and not even his 4th round stature is going to save him IMO.

I also don't think they keep both Shepherd and Davis on the 53, since neither of them appear to be high enough on the WR depth chart, but one will be kept as a returner. I don't think Davis is eligible to be on a PS, so keeping him and trying to get Shepherd to the PS might be the prudent thing to do. That is if they feel the 2 are pretty equal at WR and Davis is a bit better at returns. Personally, I like what I have seen from Shepherd at both WR and returns. I never was impressed by Davis at WR and often question his decisions returning punts, couple that with his injury history and I'm fine with Shepherd being given the job.

The other real battle at WR that I see is between EQB and Lazard. They may be battling for the #5 spot, with the loser cut, due to Davis/Shepherd being kept to return punts/kicks.
I don't see either of them making it safely to the Practice squad. There are things I like about both of those WR's, but Lazard is really making a name for himself among his teammates and coaches. Whereas EQB seems to be more of an aloof guy, with his Dad calling the shots. I expect to see both get a lot of balls thrown at them in the next 2 weeks.

Again I see the final WR roster looking like this and I am leaning towards only 6 are kept.

Keep 6:
  • Adams
  • MVS
  • GA
  • JK
  • EQB/Lazard
  • Davis/Shepherd
Keep 7:
  • Adams
  • MVS
  • GA
  • JK
  • EQ
  • Lazard
  • Davis/Shepherd
Nice analysis. If MLF goes with 4 TEs (and assuming a FB is a lock), then there will probably only be room for 6 WRs. So your first list is probably the most accurate. I think Shepherd edges out Davis. EQB and Lazard will come down to the next two games. Neither one would clear waivers, unfortunately, so whoever gets cut is likely gone.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Nice analysis. If MLF goes with 4 TEs (and assuming a FB is a lock), then there will probably only be room for 6 WRs. So your first list is probably the most accurate. I think Shepherd edges out Davis. EQB and Lazard will come down to the next two games. Neither one would clear waivers, unfortunately, so whoever gets cut is likely gone.

Thanks and a lot can happen in the next 10 days, especially if you factor in injury. Adams and MVS are really THE ONLY 2 locks as far as I am concerned. Any of the others could potentially be traded or cut. I definitely wouldn't rule out a trade if they can get a much needed ILB for one of the other 5 WR's. Really the difference between the rest of them varies from day to day and only Shepherd or Davis appear to be have one roster spot due mainly to their return skills. It might just come down to Gutey and **** sitting down and saying "these other 3 or 4 guys just fit with our QB1 and what we are trying to run on offense."

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks and a lot can happen in the next 10 days, especially if you factor in injury. Adams and MVS are really THE ONLY 2 locks as far as I am concerned. Any of the others could potentially be traded or cut. I definitely wouldn't rule out a trade if they can get a much needed ILB for one of the other 5 WR's. Really the difference between the rest of them varies from day to day and only Shepherd or Davis appear to be have one roster spot due mainly to their return skills. It might just come down to Gutey and **** sitting down and saying "these other 3 or 4 guys just fit with our QB1 and what we are trying to run on offense."
Interesting idea, trading one of the WRs for a much-needed ILB, even a journeyman at this point. With the exception of the ILB group, the D looks solid. And for the first year in many, this team may look for the D to carry the day. And that’s fine w/ me, as long as it results in a playoff spot come January.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Interesting idea, trading one of the WRs for a much-needed ILB, even a journeyman at this point. With the exception of the ILB group, the D looks solid. And for the first year in many, this team may look for the D to carry the day. And that’s fine w/ me, as long as it results in a playoff spot come January.

Would end up being a bit like the Lenzey Pipkins for Morrison trade last year, two teams trading guys on the bubble, to fill one of their own needs on the 53. I don't think any of the 5 WR's, in order of my perceived value: Allison, Kumerow, EQB, Lazard or one of Davis/Shepherd would get a lot in trade, but one of them might net us a decent backup ILB. That would be better than a conditional 6th/7th round pick or just losing one of them via the waiver wire and also it would leave room to keep the other 4 guys.

Now most will say that neither Allison or Kumerow are on the bubble and while that may be true, I might be willing to part with one of them for a decent ILB and the ability to keep one of the younger WR's.

D

Deleted member 6794

The only question is whether Gutekunst will throw in the towel on his own 4th. round pick or if he holds out hope Moore can be "fixed".

In my opinion there's no way Gutekunst will keep Moore on the roster because several other receivers have shown too much promise to hold on to a guy not being able to catch the ball.

I don't think Davis is eligible to be on a PS, so keeping him and trying to get Shepherd to the PS might be the prudent thing to do. That is if they feel the 2 are pretty equal at WR and Davis is a bit better at returns. Personally, I like what I have seen from Shepherd at both WR and returns. I never was impressed by Davis at WR and often question his decisions returning punts, couple that with his injury history and I'm fine with Shepherd being given the job.

You're right, Davis isn't eligible for the practice squad as he has already three accrued NFL seasons.

Hard to say if someone else would pick him up. I tend to think no because he hasn’t done anything very noteworthy.

I guess that another team would pick up Moore as he has shown an ability to get open. A different coaching staff might be confident that they will be able to teach him how to catch a ball.

Rodgers and the offense will carry the Packers as long as he's the starting quarterback. They will need an improved defense to win another championship though.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion there's no way Gutekunst will keep Moore on the roster because several other receivers have shown too much promise to hold on to a guy not being able to catch the ball.

You're right, Davis isn't eligible for the practice squad as he has already three accrued NFL seasons.

I guess that another team would pick up Moore as he has shown an ability to get open. A different coaching staff might be confident that they will be able to teach him how to catch a ball.

Rodgers and the offense will carry the Packers as long as he's the starting quarterback. They will need an improved defense to win another championship though.
On paper (for what that’s worth) this looks to be one of the best Ds GB has fielded in a number of years. But yeah, to get through the regular season, get a playoff spot, and make a deep run requires a solid D. Top 10 should probably do it. And while I’m encouraged, I’ll believe it when I see it. I mean, what’s up with Rashan Gary???????

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Deshon Kiser sucks.
Kizer is simply not very good. And he’s had his chances. It seems likely Boyle will be the #2. I don’t know if MLF will go with just two QBs on the roster. Kizer doesn’t deserve a #3 spot.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
does he play for the Shawano WoodPeckers?

Generally typos and misspellings don't really bother me but I find it extremely funny when they occur in posts criticizing something. If you are going to be critical of something at least make sure your post isn't filled with errors. If you are just typing some random thoughts fine but if you are going to say someone (or something) sucks and you want others to take you seriously I think it just might help your cause if you take the time to make sure you at least spell the guys name correctly.

Reaction score
Equating auto and cycle risks is simply wrong. On a per-miles-driven basis, fatal cyclist accidents are 35 times greater than with autos. Common sense alone would tell you that the abundant protections in a auto vs. merely a helmet and leathers heavily stacks the odds against a cyclist.
There’s also no helmet law here in Texas

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kizer is simply not very good. And he’s had his chances. It seems likely Boyle will be the #2. I don’t know if MLF will go with just two QBs on the roster. Kizer doesn’t deserve a #3 spot.
I am unsure as to Kizer's potential. I watched the last game and I don't think he had much of a chance to do anything. I sure hope that at least 4 of the 5 of those O linemen don't make the team.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I am unsure as to Kizer's potential. I watched the last game and I don't think he had much of a chance to do anything. I sure hope that at least 4 of the 5 of those O linemen don't make the team.

Probably none of the guys chasing him or playing in the secondary will make the Raiders roster either ;)

Always tough to evaluate in preseason games when you got future car salesmen out there on both offense and defense.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably none of the guys chasing him or playing in the secondary will make the Raiders roster either ;)

Always tough to evaluate in preseason games when you got future car salesmen out there on both offense and defense.
Actually, I don't know that. The raider announcers seemed high on a lot of those D linemen.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember that, and with the pass rush they were generating on a lot of plays, if I were Pettine, I'd be in Gute's ear if he felt he could use any of them.

I also profoundly remember making a push for signing Hankins last year, but who am I anyway?

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like the Colts just became in need of a backup QB....what's Kizer worth? A 5th or 6th? Frank ***** as a former QB himself might be able to sort him out.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Looks like the Colts just became in need of a backup QB....what's Kizer worth? A 5th or 6th? Frank ***** as a former QB himself might be able to sort him out.

Kizer is of more value to the Packers as the #2 than that of a future 5th or 6th round pick.

IMO he has basically become the next Brett Hundley. Thought to be a future solid backup, so he was relied on and planned around to be that. However, lose him and you have absolutely no experience with your #2. I remember people talking about trading Hundley a few years ago under the same circumstances and yeah, neither of them are decent QB's, but make plans to adequately replace him, before you get rid of him. Which is finally what they did by acquiring Kizer and then trading Hundley, that hasn't seem to work out so well.

I sort of understand people being all of a sudden excited by Boyle, but come on, when have we not seen this before, a QB actually plays bad and good in preseason? *coughs about 5 names out*

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hundley is not as bad as everyone makes him out to be. He had troubles with blitz recognition and throwing to the middle of the field. Anything scrambling or to the outside and down the field were often very good. He's still doing that I see. that's not unlike half the starting QB's in the league with strengths and weaknesses and certainly as good or better than most back ups.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The Packers are releasing Josh Jones, as Jones just tweeted that the team informed him this morning.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
another player with a lot of ability and nothing to show for it.

I saw he was in camp and participating, but did he ever play? I can't say i've seen one story, one play, one glimpse of him on anything i've seen.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not like we didn't see this coming. I wish we had traded him though, even if all we got was a 7th.

But we probably won't find out if Gute shopped around or not.

Members online

No members online now.