Trade Matthews

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Now I am not just saying this because Zeke broke his ankles on Sunday night. I have been thinking about this a lot. What could we get for him? We would free up 15 million next year and 11 million the year after. His injuries are constant. For some reason no one ever blames him for the NFC championship game a few years back when he did not play the entire second half because of "fatigue". I think now is a good time to move on. Love the guy to death, but there are a handful of teams out there that would possibly give us a first round pick or a 2nd and 3rd. What does everyone else think?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i can't see anybody in this league giving up draft picks or a player to take on a guy with ~5 sacks and 20+ million in salary due the next 2 seasons. I don't see a trade as a viable option this offseason.

D

Deleted member 6794

Now I am not just saying this because Zeke broke his ankles on Sunday night. I have been thinking about this a lot. What could we get for him? We would free up 15 million next year and 11 million the year after.

The Packers should renegotiate Matthews' contract but not trade him next offseason. A move like that would actually only free up $11.1 million on cap space for 2017.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i can't see anybody in this league giving up draft picks or a player to take on a guy with ~5 sacks and 20+ million in salary due the next 2 seasons. I don't see a trade as a viable option this offseason.

Plus Clay is 30, and his game has always been predicated on speed and quickness. Pass rushers like that fade over time. Von Miller will have the same problem later in his career unless he adapts.

It's the same as a speed receiver that loses just one step, either he becomes a possession receiver and better route running or you fail.

I'd say we likely won't get what we need out of him anymore, so best hope he takes a pay cut and has a couple good years left after some healing.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have zero interest in trading him or cutting him. Restructure would be ideal. If he's not amenable to that, then I don't really know. Unwillingness to restructure might result in his getting cut eventually, but not next season.

828Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Plus Clay is 30, and his game has always been predicated on speed and quickness. Pass rushers like that fade over time. Von Miller will have the same problem later in his career unless he adapts.

Their size won't allow them to adapt much IMO. Jared Allen had the same issue at his position. J.Peppers longevity in being able to play DE at a decently high level until he is 38, can be attributed solely to him being a physical freak. 6'7 290lbs. Peppers is a once in a generation type athlete. A lot of people forget, he played both basketball and football at UNC.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Imo I can see several teams taking Clay Matthews and his contract. Dallas and Indy come right to mind. If just depends on which team would be willing to give up the most for his services. Living in Texas, and knowing How The Jones family operates, if TT did cut Clay... Steven Jones would be calling Clays agent 3 way With Jerry Jones on the other line within 10 minutes after. Dallas will have plenty of money next year ..with even more when they get Romo off the books.

If I'm Capers I'd move him to the opposite side next weekend. the left tackle is usually your best pass protector on the team, and Clay has struggled! I can't see why they won't move him around more, and see if he can have better success on the other side against the right tackle.

D

Deleted member 6794

Imo I can see several teams taking Clay Matthews and his contract. Dallas and Indy come right to mind. If just depends on which team would be willing to give up the most for his services. Living in Texas, and knowing How The Jones family operates, if TT did cut Clay... Steven Jones would be calling Clays agent 3 way With Jerry Jones on the other line within 10 minutes after. Dallas will have plenty of money next year ..with even more when they get Romo off the books.

If I'm Capers I'd move him to the opposite side next weekend. the left tackle is usually your best pass protector on the team, and Clay has struggled! I can't see why they won't move him around more, and see if he can have better success on the other side against the right tackle.

The Cowboys are currently $9 million over the cap for next season. Releasing or trading Romo will only result in a cap saving of $5.1 million for 2017. Therefore Dallas doesn't have enough money to acquire Matthews.

The Falcons actually have a better right than left tackle in Schraeder compared to Matthews.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been saying for years we should've traded for him when his name was bigger around the league. Now I really don't see any team giving much for him and he has a big contract that comes with him.

He really only has had a dominating season back in 2010. Besides that's he's done just enough.

Weird how all these injuries really affected him much more now that they test for HGH.

Best option would be to hope he renogiates his contract

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
"Best option would be to hope he re-negotiates his contract"

This seems to be the best option for the Packers, but will it be for Clay? If Clay loves GB and wants to be a team player, I would hope that he and his agent would sit down with the Packers and say "Let's find a middle ground that works for everyone". But if Clay is in it for...Clay, he stays firm, takes his chances on being cut, takes his guaranteed money and he will find a home elsewhere and still be paid good money.

I could be wrong, but Clay seems like a different player on and off the field to me than he was a few years ago. We have covered the on field but nobody really talks about the off field. Does he still love playing? Does he bring the intensity that he once did? Or has fame and a big bank account gone to his head? I really don't know, just asking the questions.

D

Deleted member 6794

I could be wrong, but Clay seems like a different player on and off the field to me than he was a few years ago. We have covered the on field but nobody really talks about the off field. Does he still love playing? Does he bring the intensity that he once did? Or has fame and a big bank account gone to his head? I really don't know, just asking the questions.

I don't have the impression that Matthews intensity level has changed by any means.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's the same as a speed receiver that loses just one step, either he becomes a possession receiver and better route running or you fail.

I'd say we likely won't get what we need out of him anymore, so best hope he takes a pay cut and has a couple good years left after some healing.

Uhhmmm....when did the 30 year old age for running backs become a rule for pretty much any position? This is absolutely NOT true. Dwight Freeney (36) pretty good into his 30s, Demarcus Ware (34) pretty good, Cliff Avril (30) still pretty good, Cameron Wake (34) still good, Terrell Suggs (34) still AMAZING, James FREAKING Harrison (132!) still good!

30 years old is relevant, sometimes, for running backs. It does not apply anywhere else!!!

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're also forgetting that the Packers right now have only ONE proven OLB under contract next season...Clay Matthews. I don't think sending away the only guy the team has at one of the two most important positions on defense is a good idea; yes, the team might sign Nick Perry, a guy who hasn't done much when Matthews has been out and I personally think is this year's version of Doug Martin (the guy that's always hurt until he plays through the issues in a contract year, then gets a big deal, and goes right back to not playing through injury).

Who wants to go into next season with Nick (fingers crossed he stays healthy all year) Perry as the only pass rushing threat on the entire team?

D

Deleted member 6794

You guys do know that you're allowed to aquire other/more guys in the off season, right?

While that's true having only two outside linebackers under contract for the 2017 season isn't ideal to begin with.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Uhhmmm....when did the 30 year old age for running backs become a rule for pretty much any position? This is absolutely NOT true. Dwight Freeney (36) pretty good into his 30s, Demarcus Ware (34) pretty good, Cliff Avril (30) still pretty good, Cameron Wake (34) still good, Terrell Suggs (34) still AMAZING, James FREAKING Harrison (132!) still good!

30 years old is relevant, sometimes, for running backs. It does not apply anywhere else!!!

I would add an "old guy" named Charles Woodson to your list. ;)

I didn't realize Harrison was THAT old LOL .....damn he shouldn't be breathing. :D

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Says you... It's relevant in a lot of areas. CB (Look at Revis, Sanders, Bailey all fell off at 30 or 31) Speed Receivers, Kick returners (Even the greatest of all time Hester has 2 return touchdowns since turning 30. Thats 2 in 258 attempts. Or .7 %. His average before hitting 30... 4.8%. Or 7 times better). Really anywhere that requires elite speed or quickness. Not all pass rushers will lose it. But if you are trying to get me to compare Clay with Reggie it isn't going to happen.

Just because some can do it, doesn't mean it isn't relavant. There are many more instances of Revis than there is of Woodson. Just because you find exceptions doesn't make it the rule. And if you had to place you money on pre 30 Matthews vs post 30... I know where my money would be.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Says you... It's relevant in a lot of areas. CB (Look at Revis, Sanders, Bailey all fell off at 30 or 31) Speed Receivers, Kick returners (Even the greatest of all time Hester has 2 return touchdowns since turning 30. Thats 2 in 258 attempts. Or .7 %. His average before hitting 30... 4.8%. Or 7 times better). Really anywhere that requires elite speed or quickness. Not all pass rushers will lose it. But if you are trying to get me to compare Clay with Reggie it isn't going to happen.

Just because some can do it, doesn't mean it isn't relavant. There are many more instances of Revis than there is of Woodson. Just because you find exceptions doesn't make it the rule. And if you had to place you money on pre 30 Matthews vs post 30... I know where my money would be.

The rule is a rule for RBs because there have been less than a dozen instances of RBs playing well into their 30's. There are numerous instances of pretty much every other position playing well into their 30s. You mention corners but there are a number of corners playing right now that are good and in their 30s: Brent Grimes (33), DRC (30), William Gay (31), Darius Butler (30), Talib (30), Brice McCain (30).

I'm not claiming that age doesn't affect performance but it's not the constant barrier for other positions that it is for running backs which makes sense. RBs basically have refrigerators dropped on them every time they run the ball, there's only so long the body can take that punishment. Other positions don't take that kind of abuse. The point isn't that Matthews will or won't get better after turning 30, the point is that his age shouldn't be the basis for letting him go.

mkonyn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hester has 2 return touchdowns since turning 30.

Well, statistically you have a higher likelihood of being injured on a kick return so I'd say yes, returners get banged up the same or maybe more than a RB and have a similar drop off in productivity... so that's not a very great example.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Mathews, I feel like its a win win for us. We keep him, and he is still a very good and effective pass rusher... We keep some stability in a transition year for the OLB position. Having a stud like Mathews on the roster is always a winning situation IMO.

But Im not only concerned about keeping this team together for 2017... We have Burnett, Adams coming up in 2018. Haha Clinton-Dix soon to follow. Also Sam Sheilds wouldve been. TT might want to spend some money to help replace, rather than just draft another CB and develop...

All in all. We trade Mathews for a 2nd round pick. Add 22.5 mil cap space to retain our safetys, or what ever. And we keep
perry, Elliott, Datone, Fackrell, and a couple rookies. We cant ignore the idea of peppers coming back for a team friendly part time job maybe... Having the cap space when cap is getting tight, and the 2nd round pick sounds good to me too.

Last edited:

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he's overpaid and will never get over the "fatigue" game. With that said, who do they replace him with? Maybe TT can sign JPP or Jamie Collins. Don't know. He has to stay otherwise.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think he's overpaid and will never get over the "fatigue" game. With that said, who do they replace him with? Maybe TT can sign JPP or Jamie Collins. Don't know. He has to stay otherwise.

It´s close to guaranteed Thompson isn´t interested in overpaying for free agents like Pierre-Paul or Collins.

Bluegrass79

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matthews needs to show up Sunday with a monster game. He better get to Ryan multiple times, intercept him, knock down passes, or strip sack him. We need him to be his old self from 3-5 years ago for one game.
Just make game changing plays man or your done here. It's time for him to be a factor in the NFC playoffs all game for once.
He is gone if he don't get a sack or something imo. It can't be tolerated at his pay scale. Clay has gotta be the best Defensive player on both teams Sunday.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Matthews needs to show up Sunday with a monster game. He better get to Ryan multiple times, intercept him, knock down passes, or strip sack him. We need him to be his old self from 3-5 years ago for one game.
Just make game changing plays man or your done here. It's time for him to be a factor in the NFC playoffs all game for once.
He is gone if he don't get a sack or something imo. It can't be tolerated at his pay scale. Clay has gotta be the best Defensive player on both teams Sunday.

I wouldn't bank on or expect Matthews to play at the level he did 3-5 years ago. Ever since the Philly game, when he was hit by former Packer Allee Barbre, Clay has been playing with a separated AC joint in his left shoulder, which most likely will require surgery when the season is over. Clay is playing, but he is limited and so far it has shown.

Members online

Latest posts