Trade Matthews

D

Deleted member 6794

I wouldn't bank on or expect Matthews to play at the level he did 3-5 years ago. Ever since the Philly game, when he was hit by former Packer Allee Barbre, Clay has been playing with a separated AC joint in his left shoulder, which most likely will require surgery when the season is over. Clay is playing, but he is limited and so far it has shown.

I´m not totally convinced the shoulder injury is still bothering Matthews as he had a great game lining up against the worst left tackle in football against the Vikings. It seems he can´t create any impact plays against above average offensive linemen though.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he's overpaid and will never get over the "fatigue" game. With that said, who do they replace him with? Maybe TT can sign JPP or Jamie Collins. Don't know. He has to stay otherwise.

Collins would be a good addition to the team but he wouldn't really be a replacement per se; Collins is good against the run, in coverage and rushing the passer but he doesn't really excel in any of those areas. He's a terrific linebacker without any weaknesses but he wouldn't provide the pass rush threat that the packers would need without Matthews.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I´m not totally convinced the shoulder injury is still bothering Matthews as he had a great game lining up against the worst left tackle in football against the Vikings. It seems he can´t create any impact plays against above average offensive linemen though.

Can we at least be realistic and admit that there are very few players that can create impact plays against the Cowboys oline? And the fact that matthews was still doubled more often than any of the other pass rushers at least means other teams still respect him.

D

Deleted member 6794

Can we at least be realistic and admit that there are very few players that can create impact plays against the Cowboys oline? And the fact that matthews was still doubled more often than any of the other pass rushers at least means other teams still respect him.

Unfortunately Matthews hasn´t made any impact plays in several games this season. BTW Tyron Smith blocked him one-on-one on 25 of his 28 non-stunt rushes.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately Matthews hasn´t made any impact plays in several games this season. BTW Tyron Smith blocked him one-on-one on 25 of his 28 non-stunt rushes.

Yes, one of the best tackles in the NFL blocked him. How many sacks did Smith give up this season? And Matthews has obviously regressed but he's still the best pass rusher the team has; I don't care what Perry's numbers say, when Matthews has been out, Perry has been invisible.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yes, one of the best tackles in the NFL blocked him. How many sacks did Smith give up this season? And Matthews has obviously regressed but he's still the best pass rusher the team has; I don't care what Perry's numbers say, when Matthews has been out, Perry has been invisible.

As I´ve mentioned before opponents disagree with your take as they hardly double team Matthews anymore.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Jayrone Eliot is supposed to have his cast off. With him available and maybe not Burnett, I could see CM3 manning the ILB spot that the extra DB (Burnett) was manning last week. Outside rotation of Pep, Jones, Perry, Elliot, Fackrell with CM3 splitting with Blake, Jake and Joe.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Just looked at the roster. :rolleyes: Who the **** is Jordan Tripp? :tdown: Then I read his bio. :geek: A Jacksonville reject. :confused:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Matthews needs to show up Sunday with a monster game. He better get to Ryan multiple times, intercept him, knock down passes, or strip sack him. We need him to be his old self from 3-5 years ago for one game.
Just make game changing plays man or your done here. It's time for him to be a factor in the NFC playoffs all game for once.
He is gone if he don't get a sack or something imo. It can't be tolerated at his pay scale. Clay has gotta be the best Defensive player on both teams Sunday.
Don't see it happening. Better chance I think that Peppers makes those one or two game breaking plays. I'd giggle like a fool if it's Randall, Thomas or Rollins that turned that trick though.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I suspect that Matthews could still play if healthy. The shoulder injury wasn't really a durability issue, that was just him getting blindsided by a physical freak. Yes Barbe was a physical freak the guy used to be a gunner on his college punt teams at 300 pounds. The nagging injuries that seem to slow him down each year need to be addressed though. Matthews has to make adjustments to the way that he trains if he's going to stay relevant.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

To be fair regarding the Dallas game, nobody has impact plays vs Tyron Smith

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Let us not forget about Clay's play in the Giants game, strip of Eli and his hustle to go recover the fumble.

Clay has been up and down in production during (and before) his injury, but I am hoping for a big game from Clay in Atlanta, we are going to need it!

D

Deleted member 6794

To be fair regarding the Dallas game, nobody has impact plays vs Tyron Smith

Absolutely agreed, but unfortunately Matthews has failed to create impact plays against mediocre tackles too often lately.

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It should be the way we go with trading CM, but he isn't the only defensive problem. I'd take Perry over Clay after the year Nick has had.

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I use to love the guy. Now l can't stand him. He's not the worst player. I just hate watching him play. He looks like a guy who should be better than he is. I'm open to getting rid of him and any body else on D. And l mean any body!!

pfcmsh

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he's overpaid and will never get over the "fatigue" game. With that said, who do they replace him with? Maybe TT can sign JPP or Jamie Collins. Don't know. He has to stay otherwise.
I sure agree with you. He plays just hard enough to get by. He has had one dominating season, made a name for himself and then has played just hard enough to win. We wont get high picks for him. Trade him to the Bears! LOL

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep im back to trading Mathews. Reason being that we need to go out and buy us a very good CB that we can depend on. Sheilds 9mil free cap he brings when he is cut, doesn't pay for a CB. And we are already super tight in cap trying to bring back the core young players... So the 11.1 mil for Mathews is almost a must. When considering his production, it is a must. We can live without him, if we can keep multiple core guys. Not the other way around.

plus it frees up 11.4 for 2018, allowing us to spend all of what we have now.

Sheilds, Starks, Mathews gone frees up 23 mil,(and 11.4 next year) and basicly nothing changes.

All that aside.

Now we need OLBs and what is Mathews worth in trade?

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im going to say Mathews will still bring a 2nd rounder in trade. Some GM will see that new shiney thing, at a reasonable rate, and plug him in.

D

Deleted member 6794

It should be the way we go with trading CM, but he isn't the only defensive problem. I'd take Perry over Clay after the year Nick has had.

While I agree that Perry was the better player out of the two in 2016 his production significantly dropped without Matthews on the field for whatever reason.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Yep im back to trading Mathews. Reason being that we need to go out and buy us a very good CB that we can depend on. Sheilds 9mil free cap he brings when he is cut, doesn't pay for a CB. And we are already super tight in cap trying to bring back the core young players... So the 11.1 mil for Mathews is almost a must. When considering his production, it is a must. We can live without him, if we can keep multiple core guys. Not the other way around.

plus it frees up 11.4 for 2018, allowing us to spend all of what we have now.

Sheilds, Starks, Mathews gone frees up 23 mil,(and 11.4 next year) and basicly nothing changes.

All that aside.

Now we need OLBs and what is Mathews worth in trade?
I doubt you can find a trade partner for Matthews. Would have to release him to get rid of him imo.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We played with mismatched parts this playoff. Perry couldn't really rush from the right side with the club on his left hand, no leverage. Matthews separated his left shoulder and also struggled with leverage from the defensive right. IMHO the staff probably figured that Perry would be more effective using his right side against RTs and that Matthews could still be effective right side with a mix of end rushes and stunts.

Latest posts