Tracking the 2023 Green Bay Roster

Reaction score
Etling released, leaving 3 QB's to share the practice reps. At the moment depth chart looks like: Love, Clifford, & McGough.
Would Bridgwater make sense as the vet backup?

My Lions are trying to sign him. I'm guessing Teddy is waiting to see if anyone goes down. I think he wants to start.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

My Lions are trying to sign him. I'm guessing Teddy is waiting to see if anyone goes down. I think he wants to start.
No, it wouldn't make a lot of sense, unless Teddy accepts vet minimum, which I doubt is what he is looking for.

The Packers are going into the 2023 Season with Love and most likely Clifford as his back-up. This offense isn't a SB caliber one, just yet and overpaying for a 30 year old less than average QB, isn't going to do much, other than burn future cap space and take reps away from others.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Outside of Love walking out and literally out playing last year Rodgers and having us at say 4-2 or better by week 6 closing...there is ZERO reason to bring in a Teddy type back up which you only do if you believe a push is possible and is your back up plan for success.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Outside of Love walking out and literally out playing last year Rodgers and having us at say 4-2 or better by week 6 closing...there is ZERO reason to bring in a Teddy type back up which you only do if you believe a push is possible and is your back up plan for success.
I think they opt to stick with the three guys they have on the roster now. But, that's based on my belief that they see more in Clifford than they even thought, when they drafted him. He could be one of those "diamonds in the rough." Ya just never know for sure until you start to polish it.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm intrigued by this thought. The issue I have is if you wanted a veteran backup you should've kept Etling who at least knew the playbook.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think they opt to stick with the three guys they have on the roster now. But, that's based on my belief that they see more in Clifford than they even thought, when they drafted him. He could be one of those "diamonds in the rough." Ya just never know for sure until you start to polish it.
Agree.

Despite all the critics, I think the Packers knew exactly what they were doing when they drafted Clifford. They wanted a cheap, high IQ, high character, rookie backup for Love, who could come in and manage games. While it is possible that Clifford doesn't have a huge upside, it seems that ends up being the case with many QB's drafted in general, whether it is in Rounds 1 through 7. Could the Packers have still gotten him in Round 6? Perhaps, but Gute knew it wasn't worth taking a chance on losing him and with 13 draft picks at his disposal, Clifford was totally worth taking and potentially filling a big need.

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score

IMHO, no. Bridgewater's '22 contract to be vet backup to Tua in Miami was $2Mil SB, $4.5Mil base salary. Gute doesn't want/need a $6Mil man breathing down Love's neck & using up 1/2 of the remaining cap. It's Love's team & I think GB rolls with the young-guns (Love, Cifford, McGough) in '23.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, he is an ex-Viking. And since they like to grab ex-Packers why not return the favor?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Appears Gary will be on the 53 when the season starts, as long as he doesn't get reinjured.

Also, according to Rob Demovsky, Dubose will also be activated from the NFI list, leaving just Stokes on the Packers’ injury lists moving forward.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because it doesn't fit with direction or status of this team. Not the right move at the right time.
True. QB is the most important position on a football team. At least at the pro level. So if Love goes down you get a raw, young QB playing time. Kind of like extended preseason. What might be a 6 or 7 win season becomes a 3 or 4 win season. Slightly higher draft position. Ticket holders would probably be selling cheaper in the last month.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What might be a 6 or 7 win season becomes a 3 or 4 win season. Slightly higher draft position. Ticket holders would probably be selling cheaper in the last month.
...or a 9-10 win season with Love becomes a 5-6 with Clifford gaining valuable experience? ;)

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...or a 9-10 win season with Love becomes a 5-6 with Clifford gaining valuable experience? ;)
Predictions should be coming here in about 3 weeks. Let us see who actually believes we win 9 or 10.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol. Well. I learned early on as a Lions fan to not talk trash since I play no role in backing it up.

I guess we'll see if Love makes it 45 straight years of HoF QB play.
As a life long Packer fan, I learned a long time ago that there's a lot of Packer fans who think every player who puts on the green & gold is on their way to the HOF. That is, until they sign a contract somewhere else, then they become a bum.

I also learned that you don't kick another team's fans when they're down, because it may be your turn next.

So, who wins our division? I don't know, but I doubt very much that it will be the Packers. It will be amazing if they win over 7 games.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As a life long Packer fan, I learned a long time ago that there's a lot of Packer fans who think every player who puts on the green & gold is on their way to the HOF. That is, until they sign a contract somewhere else, then they become a bum.

I also learned that you don't kick another team's fans when they're down, because it may be your turn next.

So, who wins our division? I don't know, but I doubt very much that it will be the Packers. It will be amazing if they win over 7 games.
I doubt that there is a non-Packer fan base in the NFC, especially the 3 fan bases in the NFC North, that wouldn't love to see the Packers struggle mightily for the next....30 years. Which simply means, the Packers have been envied by a lot of fans, because of their success over the last 30 years. While I don't see the Packers winning a lot of games this season, I don't foresee them going back to being the Packers of the 70's and 80's either.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Signing Bridgewater for the Lions is just being smart. This is the best chance they've had in years at the division and arguably, with many valid points, the favored team to win it.

Honestly, while Bridgewater may not move the needle at ton in their odds, I believe it strengthens them from a betting stance on it...confidence rating went up essentially.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Signing Bridgewater for the Lions is just being smart. This is the best chance they've had in years at the division and arguably, with many valid points, the favored team to win it.

Honestly, while Bridgewater may not move the needle at ton in their odds, I believe it strengthens them from a betting stance on it...confidence rating went up essentially.
I learned a long time ago to not trust the Lions.

Members online