Tracking playoff positioning

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup. Had they left the Packers game at Noon, which is when it was scheduled, Seahawks would have been mad as well. Since a Packer win, makes their game meaningless.

Given that the NFL doesn't do what Major League Baseball does, start the final regular season games all at the same time and allows flexing by Networks during the final week, this situation is set up to happen. Of course Networks were drooling over the Packer-Lion game, it has the potential to have the most suspense. All these conspiracy theorists claiming the NFL is only doing this because they love the Packers...LOL....they are doing it because it makes the most economical sense.
And most of the Lion-Packer season finales have been insignificant except for playoff jockeying. 2014 comes to mind. Or we can go back to 1993.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do remember the Packers beating the lions in the last game of the 2009 season? Dropping them to 0-16.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's going to be interesting to see how the seeding will end up in the AFC if the Bills Bengals game isnt made up

I don't see any way the Bengals vs Bills game will be played as the league already announced it won't happen this week. I fully expect them to use winning percentage to decide the playoff seeding.

I’m loving a scenario in which the Packers go to Dallas for the wild card round in 11-13 days. I think they are extremely vulnerable. And Rodgers absolutely lights that stadium up.

Unfortunately I don't expect the Eagles to lose against the Giants as New York has nothing to play for this week.

I would rather face old man Tommy's team and send him into retirement!!

There's no way for the Packers to face the Bucs in the wild card round.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some teams might complain about whatever the league decides, but the reality is, they are not moving all these games back a week and they aren't going to squeeze another game in. I think both Bills and Bengals would rather the league just give them a tie or a loss on their record than have to squeeze another game in at this time of year.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Well, I'm more than willing to eat a plate of crow on this one. I thought there was no realistic chance for the Packers to make it to the playoffs. Winning out was the biggest issue, which the Lions are no gimme. However, here we sit with a win and we are in. What a wild season 2022 has been.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 49'ers are good but still beatable. I wouldn't mind seeing the Packers get an opportunity for a little payback vs the Niners. First, they need to win Sunday vs a very talented Lions offense. The Lions don't turn the ball over which likely means a very close game decided on the last possession.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only team I would prefer not having to play is the 49'ers. Otherwise, the other 5 don't really scare me much.
As crazy as it sounds (considering where we were just a few weeks ago), I mostly feel the same.

I still think we have our fair share of problems but are sorting a lot of things out and getting hot at just the right time. Obviously we don't want to count our eggs before they're hatched but should we manage to make our way into the playoffs I think a lot of people would have their perceptions of us (and others) reset a bit and the field would look a lot more level overall.

Consider the NFC playoff field as it stands.

1. Eagles - we lost to them by just a touchdown a month ago. I'd argue we're playing much better now than we were then, and that was with a fully healthy Jalen Hurts, from what I can tell. Presently they've lost two in a row with Gardner Minshew and Hurts' situation is still up in the air.
2. 49ers - haven't played this season.
3. Vikings - of course we split the series, losing to them in week 1 but more recently putting together a totally comprehensive win. If they were to jump ahead of the 49ers for the 2 seed and we had to play them in the WC round I don't think many would be favoring the Vikings.
4. Bucs - already beat them once this season and they just plain stink. Old and slow all around.
5. Cowboys - already beat them
6. Giants - had a narrow loss in what was one of our worst performances of the season and again - I think we are much better now than we were then.

And then consider the other QBs:
You have Gardner Minshew/Jalen Hurts. Obviously there is a big difference here but I'm beginning to wonder if there isn't more to the Hurts injury than has been let on. A few weeks back they were teasing that he might be able to play vs Dallas. Now it's been three weeks and is still not ready to return. Maybe it's an abundance of caution, maybe it's a more serious injury than initially thought.
The 49ers are running with Brock Purdy. It's a nice story but I'm not sure he scares many yet.
Bucs are still rolling out the half-alive corpse of Tom Brady. Cowboys have Dak Prescott, who I think is simultaneously overrated and underrated in some ways...and then Daniel Jones with the Giants.

Now to be fair Rodgers has not been consistently better than most of these guys for most of the year. But sometimes I do believe that when it comes to playoff football it can come down to simply being the team with the best QB who's playing his best football. Naturally that is no guarantee, but Rodgers on his best is still better than any of "the field" right now IMO and that *can* be enough...

But that being said even if we could make a deep run thru the NFC by chance I don't see us having any hope against a team like the Chiefs or Bills, should that situation arise...

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
As crazy as it sounds (considering where we were just a few weeks ago), I mostly feel the same.

I still think we have our fair share of problems but are sorting a lot of things out and getting hot at just the right time. Obviously we don't want to count our eggs before they're hatched but should we manage to make our way into the playoffs I think a lot of people would have their perceptions of us (and others) reset a bit and the field would look a lot more level overall.

Consider the NFC playoff field as it stands.

1. Eagles - we lost to them by just a touchdown a month ago. I'd argue we're playing much better now than we were then, and that was with a fully healthy Jalen Hurts, from what I can tell. Presently they've lost two in a row with Gardner Minshew and Hurts' situation is still up in the air.
2. 49ers - haven't played this season.
3. Vikings - of course we split the series, losing to them in week 1 but more recently putting together a totally comprehensive win. If they were to jump ahead of the 49ers for the 2 seed and we had to play them in the WC round I don't think many would be favoring the Vikings.
4. Bucs - already beat them once this season and they just plain stink. Old and slow all around.
5. Cowboys - already beat them
6. Giants - had a narrow loss in what was one of our worst performances of the season and again - I think we are much better now than we were then.

And then consider the other QBs:
You have Gardner Minshew/Jalen Hurts. Obviously there is a big difference here but I'm beginning to wonder if there isn't more to the Hurts injury than has been let on. A few weeks back they were teasing that he might be able to play vs Dallas. Now it's been three weeks and is still not ready to return. Maybe it's an abundance of caution, maybe it's a more serious injury than initially thought.
The 49ers are running with Brock Purdy. It's a nice story but I'm not sure he scares many yet.
Bucs are still rolling out the half-alive corpse of Tom Brady. Cowboys have Dak Prescott, who I think is simultaneously overrated and underrated in some ways...and then Daniel Jones with the Giants.

Now to be fair Rodgers has not been consistently better than most of these guys for most of the year. But sometimes I do believe that when it comes to playoff football it can come down to simply being the team with the best QB who's playing his best football. Naturally that is no guarantee, but Rodgers on his best is still better than any of "the field" right now IMO and that *can* be enough...

But that being said even if we could make a deep run thru the NFC by chance I don't see us having any hope against a team like the Chiefs or Bills, should that situation arise...
Good run down. I think what scares me the most, are teams with really good defenses. Seems when Rodgers and the Packers go up against them, they get shut down early and the defense suddenly is expected to win the game and doesn't. When the offense is playing well, the defense isn't on the field as much and often plays better.

I am sure someone will prove my theory to be wrong, but give me an opponent with a below average defense and I will take my chances, that the Packers can beat them.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the Packers offense in warmer conditions. Cold weather has been brutal to the Packers offensive playoff performance. AR just doesn't very play well in the cold. If the Packers can beat the Lions, being a 7th seed actually helps the Packers.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I like the Packers offense in warmer conditions. Cold weather has been brutal to the Packers offensive playoff performance. AR just doesn't very play well in the cold. If the Packers can beat the Lions, being a 7th seed actually helps the Packers.
I don't know, he has had some bad warm weather and dome games. He has also had some really good cold weather games.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember Favres last game? He was clearly uncomfortable in the cold. Maybe it's just a matter of getting older and not taking the cold like he used to

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 49'ers are good but still beatable. I wouldn't mind seeing the Packers get an opportunity for a little payback vs the Niners. First, they need to win Sunday vs a very talented Lions offense. The Lions don't turn the ball over which likely means a very close game decided on the last possession.
The 49ers are always a very bad matchup for us. What could make it different this year is that we'll have both Bakh and Jenkins back on the line

Reaction score
As much as Bayless can be irritating, I still believe Skip is somewhat correct about the Packers have the most success when they play good Defense and have a significant mix of run. He said 55-60%, which is a little heavy. It should be near 50/50 leaning a few more Pass attempts. That’s where we have found the most success. Us against the Patriots, Vikings and Cowboys are good examples of what running the ball well can do.

We do not have the elite weapons to bleed people threw the air routinely. Maybe in the future, but not quite yet. We do have a solid arsenal mixture between the ground game and passing game. Utilize your strengths and move the ball around with a wide mixture. The times we’ve tried to ignore the running game we’ve largely struggled. When we run the ball well it opens up everything else.

I’ll just add that we have only had 2 or 3 games where the Offense has opened up nicely. We are not quite at our O ceiling and once that clicks (if that clicks) we could be really formidable. We’re playing C+ B- grade Offense and beating teams. Imagine us hitting stride and playing B+ A- type Ball.

We lost Sammy and never really were compensated there. If we win and OBJ was ready? I’d consider taking a stab with a phone call. A lower end contract but loaded with performance incentives and tied to availability (but maybe bend a little and give him that 2yr term as he wants some stability) I think he’d like to play with #12 just a hunch.

Last edited:

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we win and OBJ was ready? I’d consider taking a stab with a phone call. A lower end contract but loaded with performance incentives and tied to availability (but maybe bend a little and give him that 2yr term as he wants some stability) I think he’d like to play with #12 just a hunch.
I've been quietly wondering if that isn't still on the table or not. Long ago (seems like it, anyways) it seemed like we were consistently named as one of the favorites to sign him. Then of course we went through quite a bit of a slump which probably put a damper on that. But now things are pointing up again...Maybe his health isn't to the point where he can really sign with anyone yet...or maybe he's just seeing how the field shapes up. I do wonder then if we find a way into the playoffs if we (and he!) wouldn't consider such a move again.

Reaction score
I've been quietly wondering if that isn't still on the table or not. Long ago (seems like it, anyways) it seemed like we were consistently named as one of the favorites to sign him. Then of course we went through quite a bit of a slump which probably put a damper on that. But now things are pointing up again...Maybe his health isn't to the point where he can really sign with anyone yet...or maybe he's just seeing how the field shapes up. I do wonder then if we find a way into the playoffs if we (and he!) wouldn't consider such a move again.
Last I read (a few weeks back) he has a targeted return of mid January. If we beat Detroit? Wild Card weekend is Jan 14-15. You can’t get anymore mid January.

The other point I’d make is this. GB Wins over Detroit and goes playoff bound. Then Reports come out saying OBJ just signed with the Packers? Just the psychological effect on our opponents is enough to gulp. The hottest team going 5-0 with Rodgers and bolstering Receiver talent? I’m just telling you the NFC would be put on notice.

I’m no expert. But rumor was he wanted a 2+ year deal, which makes sense for security. Our FO is smart enough to at least take a stab at a contract that could also proved security for our QB in case Lazard or Tonyan etc. jumps ship

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OBJ already said he didn't see the point of joining and playing in regular season...I fully expect he is going to play somewhere...and we will know possibly by next Monday or Tuesday.

Tminus6453

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree on Aaron not playing well in the cold in his later years, but he hasnt exactly played his best any time this year, even during their latest streak, thats why im liking our chances with the run game...and of course more than anything the defense showing up recently

Reaction score
OBJ already said he didn't see the point of joining and playing in regular season...I fully expect he is going to play somewhere...and we will know possibly by next Monday or Tuesday.
Yes. he’s also accustomed to playing in colder weather (8 seasons between NY and Cleveland). At least I don’t think cold climate would hinder his decision etc.

Reaction score
Agree on Aaron not playing well in the cold in his later years, but he hasnt exactly played his best any time this year, even during their latest streak, thats why im liking our chances with the run game...and of course more than anything the defense showing up recently
I agree wholeheartedly. The only issue I have is Detroit also has a very solid Run game. We need to keep them in check again and put these chumps away once and for all.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I liked the idea of bringing in OBJ midseason, but at this point, I would rather they go with what they have, unless it is a signing that keeps him past this season. If they just sign him for the playoffs, I doubt he would be all that ready to contribute, especially if you take into account chemistry with Rodgers. I also think at this point it might be a slap in the face of the guy(s) who have been doing it all season, one loses a roster spot and the other(s) lose snaps. The only thing that might open the door, a win on Sunday night and an injury to a WR, but I don't wish for that either.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the reason OBJ hasn't been signed yet is because teams don't think he's healthy enough, not that he's waiting for the exact right situation. Maybe a team gets desperate with injury or something, but at this point I don't see him going anywhere.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the reason OBJ hasn't been signed yet is because teams don't think he's healthy enough, not that he's waiting for the exact right situation. Maybe a team gets desperate with injury or something, but at this point I don't see him going anywhere.

If I were a betting man I predict by next Wednesdays sunset OBJ will be somewhere signed.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think we would be any better with OBJ. I already want to see Doubs in the game for more snaps and to see the TEs work the middle of the field more.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts