The Wide Receivers : Where do we stand now !!!

• Thread starter I_am_smoked_cheddar
  • Start date

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I do. Caught him at the very end of his career. Always confused him with the guy who was receiver for the Jets ... now can't think of his name... Don something or other

H

HardRightEdge

I obviously didn’t get to see Don Hutson play but since the Lombardi teams I have not seen a Packers WR who so consistently imitates the grace and precision of a ballerina as he “dots” or drags his toes on the sideline as Jordy Nelson. And it’s not just getting his feet in bounds, it is the body control he displays as he leaps and spins and nearly pirouettes. Sorry for the girlish imagery – it’s meant as a pure compliment - Nelson is big and strong too but the grace (for lack of a better word ) of some of his catches are just amazing.

I'd give you a partial agree on that, but put a finer point on it.

There are plenty of receivers in the league with that kind of athleticism. Several of those kinds of catches are made around the league on any given Sunday. What makes Nelson exceptional is his "make rate" on those kinds of throws...it borders on uncanny.

There is a tendency to overstate his physicality because of his physical dimensions and the fact he's a pretty decent downfield blocker. But he still has some trouble against physical corners...Seattle, SF, et. al. I think Jones is more adept against press coverage with that powerful second-through-fourth gears.

That said, Nelson is one of the best in the league between the hash and the sidelines, short and long.

Hutson was FAST. Legend has it he was hand-timed at 9.7 in the 100 yd. dash. He might have been 4.3 in the 40, maybe cracking the 4.2's. The speed of the DBs he played against in that era gave him an insane advantage. From the few old clips available, he's wide open deep. He's one of the few of the old timers who easily project to the modern game with a few updates in technique. Very different cat from Nelson

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

I do. Caught him at the very end of his career. Always confused him with the guy who was receiver for the Jets ... now can't think of his name... Don something or other
That would be Don Maynard.

I don't think Maynard or Berry were known for back shoulder pirouettes. Intentionally throwing those kinds of balls is a recent phenomenon. Neither of those guys were particularly fast (and Berry was downright slow by current standards), however they were great route runners, deceptive, and students of the game and their opponents. They just got open.

They were more like Reggie Wayne than Jordy Nelson if one is looking for a current player comparison.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like J-Mike gets to play WR to earn the pay for that position in his new contract. I could see Franklin playing the Cobb role for a few weeks.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hard to tell with Cobb, he didn't have knee wrapped up and it didn't look like tear. Could have just been an awful contusion, won't know until Monday at the earliest.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya blew it Charles Johnson. You could of been possibly starting for the Green Bay Packers this next week, if not getting serious playing time.

Instead you choose the Cleveland Browns...

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Cobb, Jones injuries might not be as bad as they looked
By Tom Silverstein of the Journal Sentinel
Updated: 4:56 p.m.
Baltimore - Though coach Mike McCarthy is typically evasive about the extent of tinjuries, he expressed hope some hope that WRs Randall Cobb and James Jones didn't suffer devastating injuries Sunday against Baltimore.

The receivers' teammate, Jordy Nelson, also said that he was told the injuries could have been worse.

"We're always worried when someone goes out," Nelson said. "As far as I know, it's not possibly as bad as it could have been. So, hopefully that stays the course. We'll find out more this week and hopefully it's a quick recovery.

"We'll miss them when they're gone."

Jones left the game on the Packers' second series after getting hit from behind while blocking for RB Eddie Lacy. At first it looked like it was his right knee, but later he had a bag of ice on his shin. He was able to walk off the field but did not return to the game.

The official word was that it was a shin injury. He was seen on the sideline wearing a full-leg brace under his sweats and was able to walk on his own.

Cobb was hurt at the end of the first half when he caught a pass over the middle from QB Aaron Rodgers. S Matt Elam went low and hit Cobb ******* his right knee, causing him to flip over.

He had to limp off the field with the help of the trainers and was taken from the sidelines to the locker room on a cart. He later returned to the sidelines wearing a full-leg brace and using crutches.

McCarthy was not ready to answer any questions about whether Cobb's absence would be lengthy

"We'll find out tomorrow," McCarthy said. "I'm hopeful for good information tomorrow once we get him back. James Jones, I'm hoping for good information there, too. We don't have a full diagnosis on either one of those guys."

Cobb finished with four catches for 53 yards and Jones one for 10.

No one really stepped in for the two until Nelson hauled in a 64-yard touchdown pass from Rodgers in the third quarter. Rodgers play-action faked to Lacy and then threw behind the safety to a wide-open Nelson for the touchdown, extending the Packers' lead to 16-3.

Receiver Jarrett Boykin dropped a pair of passes and was a disappointment until turning a slip screen into a 43-yard gain during a third quarter drive that ended in a field goal.

The Packers could get along a week or two without Cobb and Jones, plugging in tight end Jermichael Finley as a third receiver, but they can't risk going into a game with just two receivers. More than likely, they'll have to sign practice squad receiver Myles White or a veteran to fill in if both receivers are out a couple of weeks.

The Packers lost seventh-round pick Charles Johnson to Cleveland over the weekend. The Browns signed him off the Packers' practice squad, leaving White as the only practice-squad option.

Recently released Jeremy Ross is an option also.

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/227597481.html#ixzz2he3fgIR0
Follow us: @NewsHub on Twitter

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First person I'd call

Why? He's not in football shape. He was on a steady, 4 year decline over the last part of his career and dropped a lot of passes in his last 2 or 3 years. He wouldn't be ready to play for a month and even then he probably wouldn't be effective.

I'd bring Laurent Robinson in for a workout if Jones or Cobb are both out for more than a week. If they only expect to have them both out next week, they can probably get by with Myles White against the Browns. But if they are going to miss more than that, then we need to bring someone in. Robinson could be an excellent depth addition even after Jones and Cobb get back.

If you don't like him, there's also Massaquoi who has never played with a competent QB. I still think he's a quality guy who would shine on a good team. All they really need is someone to line up in 4 WR sets and run decent routes so we can use our whole playbook.

Another option is Tyrone Walker.

No matter what, we're going to be calling up Myles White and we probably need to sign someone. These three would be my choice.

Maybe we get lucky and neither injury is too serious and we get one or both back next week.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya blew it Charles Johnson. You could of been possibly starting for the Green Bay Packers this next week, if not getting serious playing time.

Instead you choose the Cleveland Browns...

How did he blow it? He took an immediate pay raise and there's no way of knowing he would be in line to make the roster this week.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hard to tell with Cobb, he didn't have knee wrapped up and it didn't look like tear. Could have just been an awful contusion, won't know until Monday at the earliest.
That's what I was thinking. Could be a bone bruise too. Looked like the contact was to the upper part of the tibia.

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now that we have a running game we limp along for a week or two without any moves....

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok guys, let's pretend we ran out of usable wide receivers for that game. Who would you have thrown out there?

My take would be:
1. Finley and any other TE's
2. Jonathan Franklin
3. Sam Shields (I actually find this one very intriguing)
4. Seneca Wallace?

Anybody I'm forgetting? Also, this was just for fun.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Now that we have a running game we limp along for a week or two without any moves....
No, two WR are not enough even with 4 TE on the active roster. Nor even enough to practice with. Need a few more bodies on the scout team at least. Wasn't Reggie Cobb still looking for work? He can do returns too. Actually besides bringing up White from the practice squad, any one else signed would be someone we haven't heard of. That is the TT way.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok guys, let's pretend we ran out of usable wide receivers for that game. Who would you have thrown out there?

My take would be:
2. Jonathan Franklin
4. Seneca Wallace?

Isn't Nixon a converted WR also?

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

My take would be:
2. Jonathan Franklin
4. Seneca Wallace?

Maybe Hawk could have played Iron Man ball. He was on fire.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, two WR are not enough even with 4 TE on the active roster. Nor even enough to practice with. Need a few more bodies on the scout team at least. Wasn't Reggie Cobb still looking for work?

Not sure who you're thinking of be Reggie Cobb is 45 years old and he's been out of football for 16 years.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure who you're thinking of be Reggie Cobb is 45 years old and he's been out of football for 16 years.
So a step slower than Driver then. Can't remember who I actually meant at the moment. To much communing with Jose Cuervo by now.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the past is any guide TT will bring someone up from the practice squad (if there's a WR there) or a UDFA WR who is out there in the world somewhere. I don't see Driver as being a viable option realistically.

Not sure if any real FA WRs are even out there to be had. Anyone know who's available?? We've been fortunate to have incredible depth at WR over the years...FA and the salary cap have chipped away and now hopefully Ted can find a solution, if only for a few weeks. This is a tough spot to be in but it's clear they need to bring someone in.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the past is any guide TT will bring someone up from the practice squad (if there's a WR there) or a UDFA WR who is out there in the world somewhere. I don't see Driver as being a viable option realistically.

Not sure if any real FA WRs are even out there to be had. Anyone know who's available?? We've been fortunate to have incredible depth at WR over the years...FA and the salary cap have chipped away and now hopefully Ted can find a solution, if only for a few weeks. This is a tough spot to be in but it's clear they need to bring someone in.

Laurent Robinson and Mohammed Massaquoi are both great options who would be inexpensive and add some nice depth when Cobb and Jones are back. Tyrone Walker is available too and he looked pretty good. I'm still not sure why he didn't make the roster.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone has to fill the slot more than anything. I see 3 options for that though there are probably many more...plus a wild card

1.Tyrone Walker- looked very good in preseason (seattle PS)
2.Ross- Keep him off the return though (detroit PS)
3. Myles White- Packer (PS)
4. Total wild card Marvin McNutt (Dolphins PS) Not sure he can play the slot.

Members online

Latest posts