The Wide Receivers : Where do we stand now !!!

• Thread starter I_am_smoked_cheddar
  • Start date

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone has to fill the slot more than anything. I see 3 options for that though there are probably many more...plus a wild card

1.Tyrone Walker- looked very good in preseason (seattle PS)

Pretty sure Walker is a street free agent. He's not listed on their PS anymore and I can't find him on anyone else's PS.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty sure Walker is a street free agent. He's not listed on their PS anymore and I can't find him on anyone else's PS.
I checked Seattle's roster and he isn't there now. He was released just over a month ago so it does sound like he is a FA.

12theTruth

Kenny Britt- but Ted Thompson won't give up a draft pick high enough for the Titans to make a deal. Britt only if Cobb or Jones were to be out a large amount of time. If injuries turn out to be not so serious than I like some of the options presented so far in this thread.

Never mind. I see Britt has had multiple surgeries on his knee or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Someone has to fill the slot more than anything. I see 3 options for that though there are probably many more...plus a wild card

1.Tyrone Walker- looked very good in preseason (seattle PS)
2.Ross- Keep him off the return though (detroit PS)
3. Myles White- Packer (PS)
4. Total wild card Marvin McNutt (Dolphins PS) Not sure he can play the slot.

White looked promising in the preseason...the 2nd. and 3rd. string QBs were looking for him with regularity, though that could be damning with faint praise. He's raw, but speed kills and you can't teach it. He's got enthusiasm, looks like a love of the game guy, "I want to beat you" look about him. But you just don't know whether he's a knucklehead in the position room and just an eager puppy dog. We'll see. They kept him for a reason, with only 4 on the 53 man, so they must have figured they might need to bring him up.

I thought Walker was more polished, good route runner for a rookie. But I think he was deemed too slow...we know how that goes...couldn't crack 4.5 with the wind, which seems to be the minimum threshold in TT's view, and that's hard to argue with. And they kept White instead, you'd think for a reason.

Ross is gone and ain't comin' back unless all rocks have been turned over and nothing comes up. He only made the squad in the first place to return kicks. That says something about his receiving skills which, quite frankly, are not good. Truly a final and last resort.

I think it will be White, who is a slot-ish kind of guy, or they go outside for somebody not named Ross.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ross is gone and ain't comin' back unless all rocks have been turned over and nothing comes up. He only made the squad in the first place to return kicks. That says something about his receiving skills which, quite frankly, are not good. Truly a final and last resort.
#1- Ross
#2- White
#3- Walker
(GAP)

#4- Shaky Smithson
#5- Driver

No way in hell to Kenny Britt. That guy's not a Packer person. Won't fit in that clubhouse, don't want him around our guys.

Where's Brett Swain and Ruvell Martin?

I really wish we had a 2nd good TE.
Longshot: Tony Gonzalez. Atlanta would never deal with us... they should let him go back to Kansas City where they are 5-0 but need any offense they can get from the passing game.

OP
OP
I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

#1- Ross
#2- White
#3- Walker
(GAP)

#4- Shaky Smithson
#5- Driver

No way in hell to Kenny Britt. That guy's not a Packer person. Won't fit in that clubhouse, don't want him around our guys.

Where's Brett Swain and Ruvell Martin?

I really wish we had a 2nd good TE.
Longshot: Tony Gonzalez. Atlanta would never deal with us... they should let him go back to Kansas City where they are 5-0 but need any offense they can get from the passing game.

IMO, your opinion is as valid as anyone's and does not deserve an X rating. I believe they should be reserved for extreme postings and not simply because you can. Poor character is never hard to spot, you did no wrong and were treated unfairly. :coffee:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know why Jeremy Ross would be on anyone's list. His sole basis for remaining on this team was to return punts and kicks. Once he couldn't do that, he was useless. There are better options if we are going to add a WR, he is not a good one.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers aren't trading picks for someone else's underperforming player, not generally TT's way. With rumours that Jones and Cobb won't be out too long, pretty sure we just go with Boykin and Finley at WR and play more multiple TE sets. Probably be good experience for MM anyway. Two TE sets give offenses a lot of options.

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers aren't trading picks for someone else's underperforming player, not generally TT's way. With rumours that Jones and Cobb won't be out too long, pretty sure we just go with Boykin and Finley at WR and play more multiple TE sets. Probably be good experience for MM anyway. Two TE sets give offenses a lot of options.

but everyone likes to panic and act like we don't develop our own players :p

12theTruth

IMO, your opinion is as valid as anyone's and does not deserve an X rating. I believe they should be reserved for extreme postings and not simply because you can. Poor character is never hard to spot, you did no wrong and were treated unfairly. :coffee:

Grow up SmokeyCheddar. Never seen anyone so insecure in themselves where when someone disagrees with another poster causes so much internal strife with them. We are human beings and will disagree from time to time. Its about time you join the real world my friend.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score

They still can't roll out there with 2 WR's until these guys are back. Even if they are not hurt seriously they are not playing this weekend. They can probably release hill and promote White just to have a 3rd WR for a few weeks.

12theTruth

They still can't roll out there with 2 WR's until these guys are back. Even if they are not hurt seriously they are not playing this weekend. They can probably release hill and promote White just to have a 3rd WR for a few weeks.

If its just for a couple of weeks White is the most likely candidate.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
So a step slower than Driver then. Can't remember who I actually meant at the moment. To much communing with Jose Cuervo by now.
Now I remember, Josh Cribbs. Went through camp with the Raiders this preseason, released in the final cutdown.
Amazing how better ones memory is after Jose leaves.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers apparently trying to sign Tavarres King off Broncos practice squad but the Broncos are trying to keep him. Probably won't know until tomorrow if it's happening.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm also hearing...don't ask me for a link...that Jones could possibly play Sunday (I doubt it) and that Cobb's injury isn't as bad as we first feared. Maybe a month on him???

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
Packers apparently trying to sign Tavarres King off Broncos practice squad but the Broncos are trying to keep him. Probably won't know until tomorrow if it's happening.
so how does it work. I thought that if you tender them they are fair game off of a PS? How would Denver be able to keep him from being signed, short of signing him themselves? Do they have the right of first refusal? Can King stay on the PS even if some other team offers him a spot on their team?

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so how does it work. I thought that if you tender them they are fair game off of a PS? How would Denver be able to keep him from being signed, short of signing him themselves? Do they have the right of first refusal? Can King stay on the PS even if some other team offers him a spot on their team?
King can do whatever he wants. Practice squad players are free agents. He can turn down any offer from the Packers. He can see if Denver wants to match our offer. Denver can match our offer and he can leave to play for the Packers. He can accept less money to play for the Packers. No different than any other free agent.

Wait a minute. Isn't it your job to know these things, Bus?

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't remember for sure, but I remember a few years ago I think someone offered a spot on their active roster to a player on the Packers practice squad and the Packers offered him a pay raise to stay (not sure if it was as high as what he would have made) and he stayed here.

Bus Cook

Reaction score
I guess what I mean is there any "value" that Denver has in having him on their PS. Do they have the right to match, or first refusal. I can't imagine that having a player on your PS doesn't give you some perk.

Bus Cook

Reaction score
King can do whatever he wants. Practice squad players are free agents. He can turn down any offer from the Packers. He can see if Denver wants to match our offer. Denver can match our offer and he can leave to play for the Packers. He can accept less money to play for the Packers. No different than any other free agent.

Wait a minute. Isn't it your job to know these things, Bus?
My clients aren't on any PSs. My players are franchies,

OP
OP
I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

Now I remember, Josh Cribbs. Went through camp with the Raiders this preseason, released in the final cutdown.
Amazing how better ones memory is after Jose leaves.

Why ? It's just that OLD black magic and because I can, right !
You and your old neighbor have both bombed me twice. I ignore one of you, because I avoid trouble when I can. Mods cannot be ignored, too bad. (... you too Brutus... ? )

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts