The Who SB Halftime Show

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys do realize that the Super Bowl halftime has to have a band that appeals to all tastes, right?

Yeah, but no one band will ever appeal to all tastes. For example, I'm not a Springsteen, Rolling Stones or Prince fan. Their style of rock simply doesn't appeal to me.

Ted's Zombie Army

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've always liked the alternatives too. Lingerie Bowl will not be topped in that category, but that "In Living Color" episode was cool. And the Mason Crosby lovers will have a hard time turning away from Puppy Bowl on the Animal Planet channel.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've always liked the alternatives too. Lingerie Bowl will not be topped in that category, but that "In Living Color" episode was cool. And the Mason Crosby lovers will have a hard time turning away from Puppy Bowl on the Animal Planet channel.
Does anybody else remember back in the day the Bud Bowl?
The ads with Bud and Bud light bottles with helmets on top and they would "play football" and one "team" would win?
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALDFMiHOTFs&feature=related]YouTube - Bud Bowl 3[/ame]

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So did anyone watch The Who?
We did and were more impressed by the groovy light show and fireworks, than the music! LOL!
You could tell by the terrible dry vocals that this year they weren't lip synching for sure!
And it just looked odd to me to only see two members instead of four at the end taking bows. How can the Who that I know just be two members now?
What did you think?

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's time to stop with generation Grand Pa and go with something a little more modern. Most 20 somethings and many 30 somethings had no idea who "The Who" was, only recognizing them when "Who are you" came on as that "Group who plays the intro to CSI!"

It's time to change things up a bit. I'm not suggesting going back to the MTV teeny bopper format, but there are several awesome bands that are a bit more relevant to today that would do a phenomenal job as a half time performer.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's time to stop with generation Grand Pa and go with something a little more modern. Most 20 somethings and many 30 somethings had no idea who "The Who" was, only recognizing them when "Who are you" came on as that "Group who plays the intro to CSI!"

It's time to change things up a bit. I'm not suggesting going back to the MTV teeny bopper format, but there are several awesome bands that are a bit more relevant to today that would do a phenomenal job as a half time performer.
I agree.

And I was wondering if they would have done "Who Are You" if this had been on any other network.

And I don't want to just hear snippets of 6-8 hit songs. Maybe they could get a 20 min. show and play 2-4 whole songs.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
It's time to change things up a bit. I'm not suggesting going back to the MTV teeny bopper format

Dogs catching frisbees would be good enough for me... I've never been one to give a rip about the half time show. That is when I re-fill my beer, empty my bladder and check my e-mail or whatever else.

don_frosto

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well we had it playing in the background while we played UNO for halftime, so I didn't exactly watch it. But the times I did look over I realized why we were playing UNO in the first place. The only thing exciting was the effects.

I've said it before, it is seriously time to get more modern acts out there. Can we find a band that can match the intensity of the SB maybe?? This crap is really getting old (no pun intended). :icon_frown:

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I can't think of the last half-time show I actually watched. They've all sucked up valuable football time in my book.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dogs catching frisbees would be good enough for me... I've never been one to give a rip about the half time show. That is when I re-fill my beer, empty my bladder and check my e-mail or whatever else.

Well we had it playing in the background while we played UNO for halftime, so I didn't exactly watch it. But the times I did look over I realized why we were playing UNO in the first place. The only thing exciting was the effects.
I don't blame you guys at all for having your attention elsewhere.
That's a good idea. I'll have to figure out someother way to distract myself next year.
Can we find a band that can match the intensity of the SB maybe?? This crap is really getting old (no pun intended). :icon_frown:
Somewhere online a reviewer thought The Who act matched with the energy of football.
Maybe.
But yeah, they should get a younger act in there.
I guess they just want to make sure the baby boomers are still watching the SB.
:band:

don_frosto

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Somewhere online a reviewer thought The Who act matched with the energy of football.
Maybe.
But yeah, they should get a younger act in there.
I guess they just want to make sure the baby boomers are still watching the SB.
:band:

I'm sure the idea of The Who performing at a SB Halftime Show sounded good in theory, but in reality, it's just not going to work. Especially since you pointed out earlier that there were only 2 remaining members. Now, I am in no way ripping on The Who here, they were a great band (keyword:were). I understand that maybe they've been trying to expose the young crowd to the good music people listened to back then, but I'm sorry, it's just not doing it. We need to put bands up there that are in their prime NOW, or at least getting there.

Tim S.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Current WHO's drummer is Ringo Starr's son and the other guitarist is Pete Townsend's younger brother (50 y.o.a.). They sounded okay, they couldn't hit the high notes. I watched last years with Bruce Springstein the night before this SB and they sounded okay but not great as well. I seen The Boss in October of 2009 and he blow the house down. I am wondering if it has something to do with the outdoor stadiums.

My pick for a SB show would be Lynyrd Skynyrd, You can never get too much of those Ole Southern Boyz.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure the idea of The Who performing at a SB Halftime Show sounded good in theory, but in reality, it's just not going to work. Especially since you pointed out earlier that there were only 2 remaining members. Now, I am in no way ripping on The Who here, they were a great band (keyword:were). I understand that maybe they've been trying to expose the young crowd to the good music people listened to back then, but I'm sorry, it's just not doing it. We need to put bands up there that are in their prime NOW, or at least getting there.
That's what classic rock radio stations are for.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the problem isn't an outdated band. Rolling Stones had a show in Rio at New Years Eve, at the beach, for 2 million people, and it was amazing.

The band can be old, they just need to be able to perform a great show. Something The Who cannot do anymore.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind seeing Cheap Trick.
They may not do arenas any more but they still really rock for their live shows.