The Who SB Halftime Show

don_frosto

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's what classic rock radio stations are for.

Yes but not many youngsters aren't listening to that station. By putting them in the halftime show, they know that a large audience will be watching, young and old, thus exposing them (the young) to music they may not have known about.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes but not many youngsters aren't listening to that station. By putting them in the halftime show, they know that a large audience will be watching, young and old, thus exposing them (the young) to music they may not have known about.

Yeah, so what. Your argument is true for any band, not just generation old. It's time to stop with the Geritol generation and time to move to something more relevant to most 30 year olds.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, so what. Your argument is true for any band, not just generation old. It's time to stop with the Geritol generation and time to move to something more relevant to most 30 year olds.
They'll put bands that pleases most people. I'd love for NOFX to play at the half time, but that ain't gonna happen...

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They'll put bands that pleases most people. I'd love for NOFX to play at the half time, but that ain't gonna happen...

Oh yeah, I would love NOFX to play. Or Bad Religion, Pennywise (With Jim as the singer, not Zolie), or even Rise Against.

I get that the show is supposed to be relatively mainstream, but "The Who" is far from a mainstream band. I don't even think they "Please the most people," at least not any more. That's why I think bands like Metallica, Korn, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Dave Matthews Band and the Foo Fighters would be far better choices. They're still relevant to today and have very broad appeal. They play well with just about all generations, not just the Geritol generation.

Ted's Zombie Army

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe a gangster rap wouldn't be a smart choice, but would it hurt to include a musician of color in a halftime show for a game where the majority of players are black? Beyonce, Mary J. Blige, Whitney Houston, Moby, or anyone under 50 would be way better than the band that fooled us again last Sunday on their way to the bank.

Even better-- why not have a band contest. Any band could submit a tape, have a committee narrow down the choices to 25 or so. Then put them all on a website with their best song for review and vote through the season by all fans.

Sol Goode

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What??? No KISS fans on this forum?

Seriously, they should do away with the single band concept and start doing themes, as in, a Salute or Tributes to the "whatever" Era, 60's, 70's 80's 90's, etc. They could honor, rock, pop, jazz, blues, etc and have different people or multiple acts that represent different generations.

At least this would be better than the "one size fits all" format.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score

Seriously, they should do away with the single band concept and start doing themes, as in, a Salute or Tributes to the "whatever" Era, 60's, 70's 80's 90's, etc. They could honor, rock, pop, jazz, blues, etc and have different people or multiple acts that represent different generations.

How about midget kiss? It is a short concert so why not have a short band?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
I get more and more disappointed with the lineup for the half time show every year. It used to be entertaining to see what kind of madness was gonna come out of it. Now it's just old and boring. The NFL needs to learn that in order to expand it's brand, it needs to cater to a younger crowd. The Who, while an awesome rock band back in the day, aren't on many young people's play list these days.

I can think of 5 bands right off the top of my head who are A) still relevant to today and B) would put on an awesome half time performance and are main stream enough to cater to a decent crowd:

Korn
Foo Fighters
Metallica
Green Day
Red Hot Chili Peppers

Of course I have some personal favorites as well, but most don't fit the "Huge band" mantra like the above 5 do.

Korn? Really? Green Day or the Chili Peppers would be great. Or Pearl Jam, but Korn? Maybe we could throw P.O.D. out there too. Rap rock was never good.

Gerard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the name of the band and the song performed at the packer vs cards halftime show?? Thnx

Little late, but it was 3 Doors Down. I went to the bathroom, but my girlfriend was happy to see them...

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3 Doors down are amazing :D

A modern band that IS actually quite good. Seems like a simple concept, but proves nearly impossible to pull off for most music company executives.

95% of tunes today are rehashed garbage. Remember when music was creative? Remember the 80's???

Good Lord, movies are awful today, music awful. The creative age of humanity is near extinction. :(

don_frosto

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the formula they've been using to pick performers, I'm surprised they haven't gone with Rush yet. How are they live nowadays?? Anyone know??

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the formula they've been using to pick performers, I'm surprised they haven't gone with Rush yet. How are they live nowadays?? Anyone know??

Wow - there's a band I've never been able to finger. I began the 1980's absolutely loathing Rush - mainly because of Geddy's piercing vocals, akin to nails on a chalkboard.

But, they do have some good tunes and they're not afraid to incorporate synth's, thereby making their overall sound much more full and vibrant. I'm particularly fond of the song Subdivisions.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score

They did a salute to Motown with various singers at one time.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A modern band that IS actually quite good. Seems like a simple concept, but proves nearly impossible to pull off for most music company executives.

95% of tunes today are rehashed garbage. Remember when music was creative? Remember the 80's???

Good Lord, movies are awful today, music awful. The creative age of humanity is near extinction. :(

Wow - there's a band I've never been able to finger. I began the 1980's absolutely loathing Rush - mainly because of Geddy's piercing vocals, akin to nails on a chalkboard.
There's a couple things we can agree on Hc.

don_frosto

Cheesehead
Reaction score

But, they do have some good tunes and they're not afraid to incorporate synth's, thereby making their overall sound much more full and vibrant. I'm particularly fond of the song Subdivisions.

Yea his singing took some getting used to for me. I'm loving Limelight right now, such an awesome song :). If they do end up picking them for a halftime show in the future, I'd still be pissed off b/c they're sticking to the same criteria, but at least it'll be a band I actually listen to and like. :)

Members online

Latest posts