The Positives from this game

KGB94SACKEM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Musccy, your words ring with me... this team showed me it is for real tonight.

That right there lifts me up a lot (I'd still have loved a win).

to be completely honest, I really didn't think this team was for real until tonight...the 12 (?) penalties and 5 TOs suck, but it's an inevitable anomoly. What team doesn't have at least one game like that during a season?!?!

What's more telling is that they showed they could run, their run D was a HUGE improvement from last week, pretty good pass coverage, and in spite of what seemed like a 10:1 ratio of packer to bear unforced miscues, the packers were still about 2 DD leaping inches from taking the game to OT!

I wish I could get the positive spin on this game that you have. I would have felt much more like a contender if we would have played 2 halves of football, like the first.

We did good things when we were rolling. We ran the ball effectively for a half. Then they took it away. We also played a very bad offensive team. The reason we were close was because of the first half.

I'm not trying to **** in your Cheerio's but I don't know how the loss makes this team more of a contender than if we had blew them out 40-0

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even when the pack played one of their worst 3 quarter stretches that you'll see all season, they still damn near won the game, which is why i'm encouraged. Yeah they played like crap for 3 quarters, but how often will you see them (or any team) commit 12 penalties and 5 TOs...not often, and if the pack had a more manageable, say, 5 pen and 1 TO, they probably win this game fairly easily.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
I wish I could get the positive spin on this game that you have. I would have felt much more like a contender if we would have played 2 halves of football, like the first.

I'm not trying to **** in your Cheerio's but I don't know how the loss makes this team more of a contender than if we had blew them out 40-0

It doesn't make them more of a contender, but it still shows this team is for real, the Pack are back!

A different way to look at it:

If I'd said before training camp began, in the first meeting against the Bears the Packers would have 5 turnovers and the Bears 1, a lot of people (myself included) would've said the Packers would get killed if that happened.

Well it did happen, and the Packers didn't get killed. Despite everything they did wrong, they found a way to keep themselves in the game. Yes the Bears didn't exactly make things impossible for them, yet somehow the Packers did what they had to, to stay in the game.

Now it'd been a heck of a lot more impressive if we'd come out with a victory, but given the circumstances it isn't as if this game proved the Packers 4-0 record was a fluke. Far from it. We showed the ability to contend with a tough good team, we showed a tough mentality (hit hard, punted it to Hester and didn't let him score) and we showed smart game planning (taking Hester out of the game on kick returns, getting the running game going).

Yes it would've said more if we kept these things up through all 4 quarters, but even though we didn't, this team showed it has the qualities that are found in good teams. It's just a matter of consistently showing those qualities for a full game. That comes with maturity and growth, something this team has shown it can do with experience.

At the start of the season, there were questions about whether the team even possessed the qualities of being a good team. They have shown that they do. It's a marked improvement from teams of the last couple of years.

Sorry if that is a bit jumbled KGB94, it's awfully late here and I'm just putting off the sleep I really need.

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Lions have fallen back to Earth a bit. Minnesota still can't do much on offense outside of Adrian Peterson. The Bears are not nearly as good as they were last season.

If anything, tonight's game showed that even despite a truckload of mistakes, we can easily hang with most teams in the NFC. Our division is still quite winnable.

That being said, this loss is a bit of a gut check for our young team. Not many people thought we'd have a chance of being 5-1 going into our bye week. It'll be important to come out strong next weekend against Washington. If we can play a lot better, it's a very winnable game.

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, remember where we were at this point last season. Didn't the Bears shut us out on opening day last year (ick, sorry to bring that up) anyway, we couldn't win a game when it mattered.. lost crucial games to the Saints, Rams, Bills.. ugh.

But the Pack course-corrected during the season and finished strong.

This time, we've started strong, just imagine where the Pack will be if we can keep improving over the season. We'll see the Bears again and hopefully we'll be ready for them next time.

mike_donnelly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'd like to add these positives :

1) we didn't let hester dominate

2) favre's INT thing is out of the way. it's rudiculous, a guy who plays that long and the way he does, of course he's going to throw picks. he still has almost 150 more TD's though

3) the challenge call on the 1st down placement. it was a good decision to challenge, and shows in that situation the coach thinks clearly.

also, i didn't think the last 2 minute management was that bad. they weren't huge pass plays, but we were getting closer and closer, and that final pass wasn;t a rudiculous hail mary, DD was so close to getting it

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me, it looked like Favre was trying to hit James Jones. But instead of stopping and looking for the ball, Jones went up field. I think it's one of those communication problems between an old vet and a rook.
Now, i will see this as ok IF the Packers can rebound and win next week. Another loss, and this season that started so well could snowball into disaster FAST.
Either way, i'll be there rooting for them!

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good thread guys, i knew well to ignore all the posts after the game last night from the usual Forum Monkeys.
If the Pack get it sorted on the practice field and game for the Redskins theres no reason we cant pick it up again. One thing i like about McCarthy is that he can adjust and remould the players to improve and refocus them. James Jones will never fumble the ball again. I'm sure of that.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good thread guys, i knew well to ignore all the posts after the game last night from the usual Forum Monkeys.
If the Pack get it sorted on the practice field and game for the Redskins theres no reason we cant pick it up again. One thing i like about McCarthy is that he can adjust and remould the players to improve and refocus them. James Jones will never fumble the ball again. I'm sure of that.

James Jones will never be as good as Dwayne Bowe or Randy Moss, im sure of that

Harrell will never be as good as Greg Olson, im sure of that too

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good thread. Glad to see cooler heads have prevailed. As a Steeler fan I can tell you that it's actually calming to get that first loss out of the way. One less meaningless issue to be concerned about the rest of the season. Making the playoffs is what really counts not winning every game. Who can honestly say they would have predicted 4-1 after 5 games right?

The team played it's way out of this one unfortunately just like Pittsburgh failed to play at all in AZ last week. The Steelers came back (BIG time I might add) and so will the Packers. This team never gave up especially the D and the O wasn't out until there was :01 left.

Too bad it was the Bears and too bad it was at home but it was gonna happen eventually.

GO PACK GO! We'll get 'em next week!!

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good thread. Glad to see cooler heads have prevailed. As a Steeler fan I can tell you that it's actually calming to get that first loss out of the way. One less meaningless issue to be concerned about the rest of the season. Making the playoffs is what really counts not winning every game. Who can honestly say they would have predicted 4-1 after 5 games right?

The team played it's way out of this one unfortunately just like Pittsburgh failed to play at all in AZ last week. The Steelers came back (BIG time I might add) and so will the Packers. This team never gave up especially the D and the O wasn't out until there was :01 left.

Too bad it was the Bears and too bad it was at home but it was gonna happen eventually.

GO PACK GO! We'll get 'em next week!!

great post. were we ever gonna go 16-0 ... doubtful.

were still a playoff team and an NFC threat.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the best thing the players themselves can draw from this is that all the stuff MM has been preaching about the little things and technigue and mental errors beating you ALL PREVAILED Sunday night.

We beat ourselves. It's not like we went out and played a good game and just lost.

That should provide a reality check and send a message to get ready during the week and go in with their heads in the game.

We also showed we could run it some. That was positive as well.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
There will be more than enough threads talking about the negative aspects of this game, but let's take the bad with the good.

Positives:
1) Packers are still in 1st place in the NFC NORTH.

2) Packers still have a 2 game lead over the Bears for first place in the division.

3) Our D had a much more aggressive playcalling approach in the second half. It was refreshing to see.

4) At the very least, we do have some semblance of a running game.

1) for now

2) and a one game lead over detroit and we have to win at chicago to risk losing a tiebreaker

3) same with our offense right?

4) nothing to reply to that just quit turning over the ******** ball

I dont think everybody understands the urgency of this situation. I am a pessimest, granted, but a young team simply gave the game away after a brilliant first half sans James Jones. I don't know how they will react, I didn't think we were this good, I thought we were lightning in a bottle, and I hope they prove me wrong against Washington but I just hope we dont come out flat next week because this is a significant letdown

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The rushing game showed signs of life. Outside of that I wouldn't walk away with any positives from this game. In fact, Green Bay should move on from this game until they play the Bears again.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The rushing game showed signs of life. Outside of that I wouldn't walk away with any positives from this game. In fact, Green Bay should move on from this game until they play the Bears again.

The bears interior d-line was hurting, but i was impressed with our running game, and the utilization of our running backs in the passing game.

I also noticed that Bubba is in much better shape than last year and can move away from defenders

Members online

Latest posts