The Packers are a FINESSE team.

packerbob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate to admit it but it's true. They are a pass happy finesse team. Their offensive line is small by NFL standards and often gets dominated at the line scrimmage especially in the running game. I thought McCarthy was suppose to be a tough Pittsburgh macho kind of guy. I was hoping for a team that plays smash mouth football but instead I'll have to settle for AIR McCarthy.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes they are. So are the Colts, the Saints, the Steelers on offense...

We need to play more physically on D, but being finesse on Offense, nowadays, is the way to go.

The days of the running game are dead. Think about the last time a running team won it. The Giants were a running team, but what won that game was Eli, Plaxico and Tyree.

OP
OP
P

packerbob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if the offensive lineman are willing to admit that. I think an offensive lineman would take pride in being physical and would be offended being labeled as a soft finesse pass happy team. I think they will just have to accept the fact that they aren't physical and they are what they are( a FINESSE team who can't dominate in the runnung game.)

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a QB driven league these days. Add to the list of teams above the Pats and Chargers as two more finesse teams, though the Chargers are probably a bit on the lower end. Nothing wrong with that, it's the formula that works these days.

21dmvp21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what ever wins championships, i dont really care lol. this is not the 60s anymore where the packers pounded the rock. this has been a pass happy team for years now.

Reaction score
They are a bit pass happy team but how can you blame them when they have weapons like this. They are a balanced offense though. Anytime you have a 4000 yard passer and at least a 1000 yard running back you are pretty balanced offense. In the case of the patriots and colts they are always in shotgun and their running backs would be lucky to even get around 1000. Packers are much more balanced offensively then those teams. Packers ranked 14th in rushing last year. That doesnt happen with an all out pass team. Rodgers will avg around 30 attempts a game and grant will get around 20 something. There was a statistic that i saw at the end of the year . It was like when grant rushes more then 20 times the packers are like 22-4. Of course we are going to pass more then run it. Would u feel more comfortable us running the ball 35 times a game and passing 20 times knowing what we can do when we throw it.

CarolinaPackerFan

Packers fan in Panthers country
Reaction score
It seems that the entire NFL has turned to the pass more. Don't get me wrong, there are many teams who base their entire offensive game-plans on their running game but it seems that the majority of teams are converting to a dominate passing offense. it really does seem like the NFL is turning into a "pass happy" league.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems to me the word finesse seems to basically mean you have a smaller O-line, can't run the ball but are good at throwing it. I still look to the draft we just had, and thought if we did something else as far as trades go (like the year before), and could have picked up Iupati and Bulaga, it would be damn tough to say we were a finesse offense while our O-line just crushes defensive lines on running plays. We could have traded Colledge or Bigby and would still have been able to get Morgan Burnett in the 3rd. Not sure why but most of the mock drafts I saw didn't have Mike Neal going until the 5th round at the earliest.

As long as we win, its all good. You can call us a finesse team, but just having a couple guys that excel in the road grading department would be a good thing. It's like .......they know we are going to run it on 4th and 2, but they just can't do anything about it.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems to me the word finesse seems to basically mean you have a smaller O-line, can't run the ball but are good at throwing it. I still look to the draft we just had, and thought if we did something else as far as trades go (like the year before), and could have picked up Iupati and Bulaga, it would be damn tough to say we were a finesse offense while our O-line just crushes defensive lines on running plays. We could have traded Colledge or Bigby and would still have been able to get Morgan Burnett in the 3rd. Not sure why but most of the mock drafts I saw didn't have Mike Neal going until the 5th round at the earliest.

As long as we win, its all good. You can call us a finesse team, but just having a couple guys that excel in the road grading department would be a good thing. It's like .......they know we are going to run it on 4th and 2, but they just can't do anything about it.
Put Quinn Johnson at FB and run to Josh Sitton's side.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's wrong with being a finesse team?
According to my spelling dictionary which has brief definitions, Finesse means smooth action.
Some of you are treating the word "Finesse" as if it's a dirty word. An F word.
We should be proud of our Packers no matter what they do no matter what it takes to win games.
They don't have a running game? Then take to the air. And we are lucky that we have an awesome QB who can fulfill that role quite nicely.

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Defensively yeah, offense!? Dunno, haven't watched the Jets in years. Most team I can think of are finesse on offense.

They ran the football more then any other team in the NFL last year with 57% of the calls being run plays.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How can their be such a thing as a finesse team in the NFC North blistering cold division, damn, that must mean we got one HELLUVA a QB!

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say 6 of the last 7 teams that won the SB would be grouped in the "finesse" type teams. Giants being the exception.

Wolvi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this qoute sums our team up the best and kinda paraphrases the comments in the thread...

"The Navy can lose us the war, but only the Air Force can win it. The fighters are our salvation, but the bombers alone provide the means of victory."
Prime Minister Winston Churchill

Replace "navy" with running game...

Members online

Latest posts