The LBs getting healthier.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can really tell when all our LBs are playing. The whole defense looks better. Perry , even with a club, got a sack. He wrecks guys, and that opens up the others. Could be a good reason why Mathews had his first real good game since Perry went down.
ANother duo is our 1st and 2nd year ILBs, Ryan and Martinez. When they look good the defense looks great. You could really see the bounce back when Ryan came back. Now that Martinez is working his way back, the defense looks much better...

I don't even remember seeing Peppers play last week? Seen Mathews, Perry, Datone, but no peppers? Did he play?

All in all I think this team will continue to get better as this LB group continues to heal.

D

Deleted member 6794

You can really tell when all our LBs are playing. The whole defense looks better. Perry , even with a club, got a sack. He wrecks guys, and that opens up the others. Could be a good reason why Mathews had his first real good game since Perry went down.
ANother duo is our 1st and 2nd year ILBs, Ryan and Martinez. When they look good the defense looks great. You could really see the bounce back when Ryan came back. Now that Martinez is working his way back, the defense looks much better...

I don't even remember seeing Peppers play last week? Seen Mathews, Perry, Datone, but no peppers? Did he play?

First of all Perry had two sacks vs. the Vikings. Matthews most likely had a great game because he lined up against the worst tackle in all of professional football. Peppers started at right OLB and played a total of 42 snaps only registering a single tackle.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately, guys like Matthews, Perry and Elliot won't be getting 100% healthy season.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
No doubt, if you combine all of the LB's "good games" into one game, our D would be a lot better. But from week to week, you have different matchups and injuries and different results. I wouldn't use the Vikings offense as a good measuring stick of where are linebackers currently are. I also hope we don't have to use the Vikings offense as a measuring stick of where our secondary is either, but I am afraid that is closer to the truth.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No doubt, if you combine all of the LB's "good games" into one game, our D would be a lot better. But from week to week, you have different matchups and injuries and different results. I wouldn't use the Vikings offense as a good measuring stick of where are linebackers currently are. I also hope we don't have to use the Vikings offense as a measuring stick of where our secondary is either, but I am afraid that is closer to the truth.
I generalize a lot. But generally speaking, we started the season with solid defense. The Dline looked very strong with all our LBs out there. And the secondary looked great with Sheilds out there... But the injuries seemed to creep in starting with Sheilds. We absorbed the loss, but a half dozen games in we lost Randall Rollins both. Hyde was hurt too for a bit I believe. banjo and Goodson went down as soon as we needed them.... As soon as the CBs came limping back, we lost all our LBs! Mathews and Ryan first, Martinez and Fackrell the next week. As everyone started coming back we started winning. But as soon as we got momentum, we lost Perry and Mathews at the same time!!!Then Elliott. We havnt had a pass rush since, UNTIL this last week we seen both Mathews and Perry get some plays and all of a sudden our team is winning decisively....

We just need to continue to get our LBs healthy.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I generalize a lot. But generally speaking, we started the season with solid defense. The Dline looked very strong with all our LBs out there. And the secondary looked great with Sheilds out there... But the injuries seemed to creep in starting with Sheilds. We absorbed the loss, but a half dozen games in we lost Randall Rollins both. Hyde was hurt too for a bit I believe. banjo and Goodson went down as soon as we needed them.... As soon as the CBs came limping back, we lost all our LBs! Mathews and Ryan first, Martinez and Fackrell the next week. As everyone started coming back we started winning. But as soon as we got momentum, we lost Perry and Mathews at the same time!!!Then Elliott. We havnt had a pass rush since, UNTIL this last week we seen both Mathews and Perry get some plays and all of a sudden our team is winning decisively....

We just need to continue to get our LBs healthy.

I know what you are saying, the defense is obviously going to be better off with as many healthy starters back as possible. But with the exception of Shields, we basically have our Sept. starters back, which is more than most teams can say. Guys like Matthews and Perry won't be back to 100 % and I would guess most of the guys are playing with some sort of injury that is affecting their games. But so is everyone else in the NFL at this point of the season. Not sure where I am going with this, except to say, even if we have our week 1 starting unit less Sam Shields going into the Playoffs, it won't make this a great defense IMO. While our run defense looked promising at the beginning of the year, those numbers proved to be over inflated by defending against teams with back up runners and weak rushing games. Our pass rush seems to be hot and cold. Our LB play is the same. Our secondary is probably our weakest link and without a pass rush or turnovers, may end up being our achilles heel.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was really down on Joe Thomas for awhile but he seems to be playing much better. Hope he continues to use his head and check out the play b4 committing.

Latest posts