The Khalil Mack thread -- now a Bear for $155million

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The more I think about this, the more I hope the Raiders draw the line in the sand and say "fine sit, we will just keep fining you and you don't get paid. Walk in 2019, but we will take the comp pick and will have proven our point that we don't negotiate with guys who do this." Will that happen? No...but an NFL fan can dream. :whistling:

I wish teams would have the balls to do this

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
All good arguments and I did think of them all when posting. Rather than trying to rebut them all right away I figured I'd wait for someone to bring them up.

1. Its a matter of semantics I guess. People saying their money will come off the books. It won't come off because it was never on. They are out of the question entirely. The space is there because their money was never on the books in the first place. The Packers have more money under the cap because they have fewer players under contract. It all depends on how you look at it I suppose. The bottom line is we have x amount of money because of the guys we do have under contract.

2. You've listed possible replacements but with the exception of Mack replacing Matthews I'm not sure any of them would be of the same caliber. I'm not sure they aren't but again with the exception of Mack I think you are looking at a decrease in quality. I think it is desirable when replacing free agents to at least attempt to replace them with equal or better players. Besides its not always best to just keep moving your guys up on the depth chart and getting lesser players behind them. Sometimes its a good idea to try to replace them with better players.

3. No its not certain but my argument was predicated on it being the case. If they back down off that demand it changes things.

4. I was just throwing names out there who the Packers might want to resign. I knew the were FA but the list I looked at either didn't have them listed as restricted or if the did I missed it. If you want to pick two others who are URFA the same principle applies. If we want to sign any of our own URFA we are likely going to have to pay them more money than they made this year and that will take some of the existing cap space we had. if we don't want to resign them their replacements are going to take some of the existing cap space we had and like I said above if we are going to replace them it would be nice to replace them with someone better and that just might take more money. To replace them with the same is just spinning your wheels.

5. That's the meat of the argument and its where we disagree. You would rather get 1 great egg and put it in 1 basket and hope it works out. I would rather take the safer route (IMO) and get 4 lesser eggs and put them in 4 separate baskets with the belief that a couple of them at least work out and who knows maybe 1 or more would turn out to be better than your egg. As far as keeping our own key players that is not even a given. The cap keeps going up but so do salaries. Guys like Clark and Daniels and Bahktheri and Linsley just to name a few off the top of my head might all cost significantly more next time around.

For me it comes down to 1 thing. If we sign Mack we won't have as much money to sign other players who might be better than the ones we have. I'd rather have several players spread out over the entire roster who might be improvements than 1 player in one position who is a big improvement. IMO the risk is just too great. You did post some good arguments though and I appreciate it.

1. Agreed. Regardless, we have the space that we have.

2. We don't know if any of the young receivers will be of Cobb's caliber, but we do know that he's nearing his 30's and he's not the player he once was. At a certain point, you have to be able to replace aging veterans with draft picks. If this FO can't do that effectively (not perfectly, but effectively), then none of this is going to work in the long term. It's hard to deal with the subject regarding Clinton-Dix and Wilkerson as we don't actually know what we're replacing yet.

3. As I've explained to other posters, I'm not of the opinion that the Packers should go get Mack regardless of the price tag. The Raiders ask will need to come down (which it will, no doubt-- the question is by how much) and they will have to have a reasonable idea beforehand of what he's going to cost (20M could work; 25M probably won't).

4. Yes, 2nd contracts are always more expensive than rookie deals. That's why the Packers have typically reserved 2nd contracts for their key players while allowing most others to walk. They've been able to keep nearly all of their important pieces on 2nd deals throughout this last phase of Rodgers and Matthews accounting for about 26% of the cap (that is, the cap when they were initially both signed).

5. I would rather take advantage of an opportunity to land an elite talent, the likes of which generally never gets to the FA market, as opposed to collecting a few more pieces of the quality that normal do get free. Elite, young, clean off-field, durable, versatile players almost never get to market. Usually, free agents fail in one or more of those categories and that's why their original team is allowing them to go.

Clark will absolutely cost a lot more and they will be able to afford him. Linsley and Daniels probably won't see third contracts with the Packers. When Linsley's deal is up, he will be 30 and centers aren't that difficult to find. Between now and then, they will most likely draft a player to replace him. Same with Daniels-- he will be 31 when he's a FA. It would be foolish to invest big money in him at that point. Essentially his big contract on the DL will be replaced by Clark's while Adams or some other player yet to be drafted will replace him at 3T.

Bakhtiari is probably the rare Packer who would warrant a 3rd contract, given his age, position, and quality, and I see no reason why he couldn't get it. By the time he would need an extension in 2021, the Packers would be getting into the 4th year of the Rodgers/Mack deals and the cap will most likely be around 210M.

So I guess what I'm saying is that the Packers will probably need to pass on most 3rd contracts if they sign Mack, as they have been doing for years, and I think it's worth it.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
Mack will want the same (or better) than Aaron Donald's 6 for $135m with $87m guaranteed that was just announced.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mack will want the same (or better) than Aaron Donald's 6 for $135m with $87m guaranteed that was just announced.
wow. But not as bad as I thought, and with 6 years not 4., that makes it a little more palatable. That is more guaranteed than I expected. If we can do this with 1 first round and CM3, I am on board.

If nothing happens today, I have a feeling, it never will. Getting to late to do the deal.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they haven't come out and specifically said they're not interested in doing a deal for Mack so hope is alive. read an article yesterday that talked about all the money they have in reserve and what the projected caps are going to be in the near future. it's very doable.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll truly be shocked if Gute makes this happen.

Raiders are asking for too much, Mack wants a TON of money, we just paid AR12 a boat load.

Just doesn't add up.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Agreed. Regardless, we have the space that we have.

2. We don't know if any of the young receivers will be of Cobb's caliber, but we do know that he's nearing his 30's and he's not the player he once was. At a certain point, you have to be able to replace aging veterans with draft picks. If this FO can't do that effectively (not perfectly, but effectively), then none of this is going to work in the long term. It's hard to deal with the subject regarding Clinton-Dix and Wilkerson as we don't actually know what we're replacing yet.

3. As I've explained to other posters, I'm not of the opinion that the Packers should go get Mack regardless of the price tag. The Raiders ask will need to come down (which it will, no doubt-- the question is by how much) and they will have to have a reasonable idea beforehand of what he's going to cost (20M could work; 25M probably won't).

4. Yes, 2nd contracts are always more expensive than rookie deals. That's why the Packers have typically reserved 2nd contracts for their key players while allowing most others to walk. They've been able to keep nearly all of their important pieces on 2nd deals throughout this last phase of Rodgers and Matthews accounting for about 26% of the cap (that is, the cap when they were initially both signed).

5. I would rather take advantage of an opportunity to land an elite talent, the likes of which generally never gets to the FA market, as opposed to collecting a few more pieces of the quality that normal do get free. Elite, young, clean off-field, durable, versatile players almost never get to market. Usually, free agents fail in one or more of those categories and that's why their original team is allowing them to go.

Clark will absolutely cost a lot more and they will be able to afford him. Linsley and Daniels probably won't see third contracts with the Packers. When Linsley's deal is up, he will be 30 and centers aren't that difficult to find. Between now and then, they will most likely draft a player to replace him. Same with Daniels-- he will be 31 when he's a FA. It would be foolish to invest big money in him at that point. Essentially his big contract on the DL will be replaced by Clark's while Adams or some other player yet to be drafted will replace him at 3T.

Bakhtiari is probably the rare Packer who would warrant a 3rd contract, given his age, position, and quality, and I see no reason why he couldn't get it. By the time he would need an extension in 2021, the Packers would be getting into the 4th year of the Rodgers/Mack deals and the cap will most likely be around 210M.

So I guess what I'm saying is that the Packers will probably need to pass on most 3rd contracts if they sign Mack, as they have been doing for years, and I think it's worth it.

All fair enough. We just disagree is all and it is a very polarizing subject. I appreciate the civility of your replies. Proof that we can all get along even if we don't agree. The thing is similar to what you said you are not for it no matter what the cost I am not opposed to it at any cost. There would certainly be a point at which I would say go for it. I just don't think that point is practical (it is mainly the money as it may not take two first rounders to pry him away)

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wow. But not as bad as I thought, and with 6 years not 4., that makes it a little more palatable. That is more guaranteed than I expected. If we can do this with 1 first round and CM3, I am on board.

If nothing happens today, I have a feeling, it never will. Getting to late to do the deal.

87 million guaranteed but only 40 million (only :rolleyes:) as a signing bonus. I expect the deal is structured a lot like Rodgers'. A significant portion of the guarantee comes from roster bonuses and such early on so if things don't work out after three years you are not looking at nearly as much prorated money coming due if for some reason it doesn't work out. You have to figure no matter what they are going to give him 3 years so why not guarantee most of the money in those three years and get it off the books. Signing bonuses push money out but guaranteed bonuses early on help keep the back end more manageable. If you have the cap space it makes sense to use up the guarantees early on.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even the people that haven't liked most of the moves Gute has made?
Who doesnt like his moves? Although I was critical at the time on the draft 1st round, it turned out great, with the trade back up. Kizer trade was great. Morrison trade was ideal. Draft results looks promising.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
87 million guaranteed but only 40 million (only :rolleyes:) as a signing bonus. I expect the deal is structured a lot like Rodgers'. A significant portion of the guarantee comes from roster bonuses and such early on so if things don't work out after three years you are not looking at nearly as much prorated money coming due if for some reason it doesn't work out. You have to figure no matter what they are going to give him 3 years so why not guarantee most of the money in those three years and get it off the books. Signing bonuses push money out but guaranteed bonuses early on help keep the back end more manageable. If you have the cap space it makes sense to use up the guarantees early on.
good points.

I would always try to back load deals. Put as much as I can in last 2 years and plan on cutting him or renegotiating. Players do look for the prestige of signing big contract, and some may disregard reality of probably not getting all the money.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
good points.

I would always try to back load deals. Put as much as I can in last 2 years and plan on cutting him or renegotiating. Players do look for the prestige of signing big contract, and some may disregard reality of probably not getting all the money.

If its salary then yes it can work as salary is not guaranteed. Where teams got into trouble was by pushing it out through large signing bonuses and longer deals then if things didn't pan out a big chunk of money came due if the player was cut. Players and agents have also gotten wise to the back loaded salary deals and the prestige factor has worn off once they figured out the reality. How many times did we say of a 5 year deal "we all know its only a three year deal because he will never see those last two years." Well players figured that out too and started wanting more guaranteed money. They didn't really care where the guarantees fell they just wanted the guarantee and teams realized that guarantees in the form of huge signing bonuses could come back to bite them so they started guaranteeing salary and roster bonuses early on. Like I said, you know there is pretty much no way in heck the Packers are going to cut Aaron Rodgers in the next 3 years so why not make all, or at least the vast majority, of the money you would pay him anyway guaranteed

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Usually, free agents fail in one or more of those categories and that's why their original team is allowing them to go.

So what makes Mack different? With what he is doing, he has basically made himself a free agent, with the added cost of the team wanting his services having to compensate the Raiders.

One has to ask themselves, "If they do, why are the Raiders letting him go?"

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who doesnt like his moves? Although I was critical at the time on the draft 1st round, it turned out great, with the trade back up. Kizer trade was great. Morrison trade was ideal. Draft results looks promising.

Kizer trade wasn't great. Kizer still sucks. Graham signing was horrible. He's a big WR that is a redzone threat but when your paying that much money for a WR you should expect more then 60 catches for 600-700 yards. As for the draft let's give it some time and not forget that many people wouldve preferred a guy like James.

And if he were to trade the house for Mack I would would rate a whopping two moves of his as a good call and that's signing Wilkerson. Whom could easily be credited to him only being willing to sign that deal because of Pettine. Tramon would be rated as the other solid move

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
So what makes Mack different? With what he is doing, he has basically made himself a free agent, with the added cost of the team wanting his services having to compensate the Raiders.

One has to ask themselves, "If they do, why are the Raiders letting him go?"

I have some theories and they all basically tie back to the organization that he’s playing for. Jon Gruden is essentially their football czar and has evidenced an unorthodox approach so far to say the least. I personally think he’s going to be a disaster.

He’s also costing the lowest revenue organization in the league 100M dollars over the next 10 years— a decade in which they will have to invest in a relocation and a new stadium.

My guess is that if Gruden wasn’t in Oakland, Mack would be signed.

Now perhaps there’s more I don’t know, but I’ve never heard a word in four years about his character or any sort of off field baggage.

So my theory is that Mack is available because a very unusual circumstance that the Packers might be able to capitalize on if they can pry him away for a reasonable return.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I have some theories and they all basically tie back to the organization that he’s playing for. Jon Gruden is essentially their football czar and has evidenced an unorthodox approach so far to say the least. I personally think he’s going to be a disaster.

He’s also costing the lowest revenue organization in the league 100M dollars over the next 10 years— a decade in which they will have to invest in a relocation and a new stadium.

My guess is that if Gruden wasn’t in Oakland, Mack would be signed.

Now perhaps there’s more I don’t know, but I’ve never heard a word in four years about his character or any sort of off field baggage.

So my theory is that Mack is available because a very unusual circumstance that the Packers might be able to capitalize on if they can pry him away for a reasonable return.
Good post.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kizer trade wasn't great. Kizer still sucks. Graham signing was horrible. He's a big WR that is a redzone threat but when your paying that much money for a WR you should expect more then 60 catches for 600-700 yards. As for the draft let's give it some time and not forget that many people wouldve preferred a guy like James.

And if he were to trade the house for Mack I would would rate a whopping two moves of his as a good call and that's signing Wilkerson. Whom could easily be credited to him only being willing to sign that deal because of Pettine. Tramon would be rated as the other solid move
I stand corrected.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Graham signing was horrible. He's a big WR that is a redzone threat but when your paying that much money for a WR you should expect more then 60 catches for 600-700 yards

I have heard a number of people say this. It very well could turn out to be true, but can you really conclude it at this time? Not to mention that what Graham was paid was not even near top WR money. Graham was paid top TE money, his upside in the Redzone and ability to open up the middle of the field could very well pay dividends for the Packers.

I think if the Packers were sitting with Lewis, Kendricks and Tonyan after the final cut downs, there would be legit concern about the position and legit criticism of Gute that he didn't address the position. So I find it hard to say that the signing of Graham was "horrible".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts