The Jordan Love Era Begins

Will Jordan Love be 3 in a row for the Packers?

• Yes, he's a FHOF Player

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • He'll be pro bowl good but not FHOF good

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • He'll be average

Votes: 12 17.4%
  • No, he'll be a below average bust

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Too early to Tell

Votes: 29 42.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Jayzee1981

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, having a different opinion or being critical of the front office shouldn't be considered as whining. You said it yourself, everyone around here is entitled to an opinion. I wonder why it seems there are a lot of posters who only live by that as long as decisions by the team aren't questioned in any way.

While it's true that currently there's a low point of activity the forum has been much more busy in recent years between the end of offseason practices and training camp. I guess that's what you get when you threaten posters to be banned for talking about stuff related to the team.
Yep. Amen Cap. Pot meet kettle. Take your pills.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course love will struggle. I don't see anyone saying he can be what Aaron was
I agree with your statement. I do believe that people think this upcoming season that Love will be what Aaron is. I just happen to disagree with that.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with your statement. I do believe that people think this upcoming season that Love will be what Aaron is. I just happen to disagree with that.
Depends on which Aaron Rodgers we are talking about. The 2022 version of Aaron Rodgers was very pedestrian. Jordan Love could be that "good". I agree it's highly doubtful that Love will be as good as the 2011 Aaron Rodgers.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I expect Love to "average out, as just being average" this season. He will have some bad moments and some good ones. It helps that he has been in the system for 3+ years, but he will need a lot of real game reps, to improve. Much like Rodgers 2008 season was up and down. Rodgers had an off 2022 season, but I put that more on his injury and the receiving group, than I do on him. I also think Rodgers had 1 foot out the door, knowing that 2022 was probably his last season in GB.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He won't be Rodgers. But Love can be different and still be successful.

Rodgers is a master of reading and understanding defenses and that led to much of his success lately. He is safer with the ball as well. He had more veteran WRs to work with.

Love will be more of a running threat, operate within the system, use the middle of the field more, will be more on the same page with receivers, and will be a better leader during games.

Will the increase in picks, decrease in WR experience, decrease in reading defenses be offset by the other aspects of Love's game? I hope so, but it's a big ask. I expect up and down performance early, but hope to see improvements by the end of the season.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Methinks people have become way too spoiled by the play of Favre, then Rodgers. What we saw as average, on their part, would be considered pretty darned good if it was the vast majority of QBs that are starting in the NFL.

Be prepared to be disappointed, even if Love is average. It will look like less to most Packer fans.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Methinks people have become way too spoiled by the play of Favre, then Rodgers. What we saw as average, on their part, would be considered pretty darned good if it was the vast majority of QBs that are starting in the NFL.

Be prepared to be disappointed, even if Love is average. It will look like less to most Packer fans.

I don't disagree we have been spoiled. However, if Love performs as an average middle of the road QB, this team is still in the same boat as last year.....easily could be a 6 or 10 win team depending on bounces and defense.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Throw in the whole "we used a first and a 4th round pick on him" and that will heighten some of those fans disappointed even more. He cost the Packers a #30 and #136 pick, I have seen many players pan out and not pan out in those spots. Anyway, if he turns into a great QB, the Packers get lucky again and Gute looks like Nostradamus. If he is average, it was a good investment. If he sucks and will never be a starter, nothing ventured, nothing gained and it will be time for the Packers to do what every NFL team has to do eventually, find a quality QB.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Throw in the whole "we used a first and a 4th round pick on him" and that will heighten some of those fans disappointed even more. He cost the Packers a #30 and #136 pick, I have seen many players pan out and not pan out in those spots. Anyway, if he turns into a great QB, the Packers get lucky again and Gute looks like Nostradamus. If he is average, it was a good investment. If he sucks and will never be a starter, nothing ventured, nothing gained and it will be time for the Packers to do what every NFL team has to do eventually, find a quality QB.
Yup! Nostradamus, or Nostradumba$$.

Reaction score
Once again, having a different opinion or being critical of the front office shouldn't be considered as whining. You said it yourself, everyone around here is entitled to an opinion. I wonder why it seems there are a lot of posters who only live by that as long as decisions by the team aren't questioned in any way.
Just for the record my sarcastic response was solely about someone whining about being “off thread” and it was just having fun we all do it. It had absolutely no relationship to anyone forming an opinion about anything team related, much less our Front Office? Totally left field there.
Thank You for the free peak at your hand though it was thoroughly exhilarating to see what’s on your mind! :cool:

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reaction score
I just look at what other First year starters have done. Herbert tore it up with only a slightly better roster. Rodgers also has a down year in 2022, so I don’t see last season as HOF level play at all. I can count 10 QB’s who I’d take over Rodgers last season pretty easily. It a huge exaggeration to compare 2022 Rodgers with a HOF level performance that’s unattainable. 2022 was the only comparison I’ve seen made and suddenly it’s Love verses 2 decades of Aaron Rodgers and we’d better not mentioning them in the same sentence. I’ll say it again Love doesn’t need to be peak Aaron Rodgers to Win ballgames. I do believe he could peak in that 2022 Passer area though. I know it’s sacrilegious to say that I’m sorry ahead of time.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I just look at what other First year starters have done. Herbert tore it up with only a slightly better roster.
Herbert was also selected 6th in the 2020 draft and the 3rd QB picked. There is a reason for that, he was more NFL ready. He lead the Chargers to only 6 wins and 9 losses his first season, so not that spectacular.

Yes, Love was a first round pick in 2020 and has been in the system 3+ years, but I don't think he should be compared to guys like Burrows (#1 pick), Tua (#5) and Herbert (#6), just yet. Those 3 were from the same draft class, but considered a lot more NFL ready. Love needs some real game seasoning.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BUT, he's had 3 seasons in an NFL system. I'd hope he's not your typical 1st year starter either. I'm expecting growing pains, but I also expect to see something better than what's typical.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't disagree we have been spoiled. However, if Love performs as an average middle of the road QB, this team is still in the same boat as last year.....easily could be a 6 or 10 win team depending on bounces and defense.

Seems that there is a lot of confidence in Love up in Green Bay.

Adam Schefter recently reported that all around the organization, there's a quiet confidence in Love's ability to play.

"Love has made steady progress backing up Aaron Rodgers; watching him, observing, learning. I think there's a real quiet confidence about the level of success that he's going to have this year," Schefter reported.

Reaction score
Herbert was also selected 6th in the 2020 draft and the 3rd QB picked. There is a reason for that, he was more NFL ready. He lead the Chargers to only 6 wins and 9 losses his first season, so not that spectacular.

Yes, Love was a first round pick in 2020 and has been in the system 3+ years, but I don't think he should be compared to guys like Burrows (#1 pick), Tua (#5) and Herbert (#6), just yet. Those 3 were from the same draft class, but considered a lot more NFL ready. Love needs some real game seasoning.
Now see I disagree there. I think having 4 NFL Training Camps, 3 preseasons and a few sprinkled live games + 38 College games +1 NFL start is very comparable to Herbert playing 43 contests at Oregon + 1 Covid preseason.
Imo. Love has had plenty of preparation for the NFL and I would say he’s more prepared for a NFL start than Herbert was 4 seasons ago coming in as a rookie.
Now what Jordans performance level will be is another matter and Herbert did have more experience at both WR and TE in 2020 than Love has in 2023. I think it’s a slight weapon favor in Herbert’s corner, but from a purely QB point of view, Love wins that prepared argument. Had we had this conversation in 2020 that’s another story.

Something else to consider on those ugly 9 losses that got their Coach canned. The Chargers ranked #9 in Offense and lost week 2 in OT and lost 6 of the next 7 games by 1 score. Then Herbert went on a 4 Win Run to finish up. It was their #23 ranked Defense that was more problematic. Herbert with a similar level (or slightly less) level of preparation performed outstanding with a good group of WR/TE/RB and Won ORoY #1

Really for myself I’m not quite as concerned with Love as I am questions about our inexperience at Receiver and TE weapons combined with Love. I’m nearly convinced if you put Love on a strong Offense (with sufficient prep) he’d perform league average early in.

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers attempted 40 passes greater than 30 yds last season.

He was 6 of 40
4 ints
2 TDs

He was 30th in the league in EPA/att, 29th in YPA, and 29th in completion %

Zach Wilson was 6 of 16 for reference.

So the deep ball is another area that Love should be better than Rodgers at.

Reaction score
Rodgers attempted 40 passes greater than 30 yds last season.

He was 6 of 40
4 ints
2 TDs

He was 30th in the league in EPA/att, 29th in YPA, and 29th in completion %

Zach Wilson was 6 of 16 for reference.

So the deep ball is another area that Love should be better than Rodgers at.
I suppose having 3 newer Wideouts factored there. However it won’t be any different for Love though. It’ll be interesting for us to dissect and compare different aspects of Loves game. Again, I know he’s not Aaron Rodgers and he’ll always be in his shadow which kinda sucks for him. Yet I think he just needs to develop his twist on the game and he’ll be just fine. We’ve had amazing fortune at QB going back 30 years, but that doesn’t lower or raise the probability of our current QB. I’d stress that Jordan needs to compete with Jordan in bettering himself. He can’t buy into the notion of thinking that he needs to be #12 or #4 (not suggesting you said that)

Last edited:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is a master of reading and understanding defenses and that led to much of his success lately.
If there's one thing I hope Love picked up from three years watching Rodgers (and presumably sharing thoughts and conversations with him in the QB room), it's some of his knack for reading defenses.

BUT, he's had 3 seasons in an NFL system. I'd hope he's not your typical 1st year starter either. I'm expecting growing pains, but I also expect to see something better than what's typical.
We've had QBs from other teams with little to no experience come out and play quite well against us over the years, so my expectations for Love aren't too low.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I say love is about 3000 yards 18 passing 5 rushing z td and 10 int