The Jordan Love Era Begins

Will Jordan Love be 3 in a row for the Packers?

• Yes, he's a FHOF Player

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • He'll be pro bowl good but not FHOF good

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • He'll be average

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • No, he'll be a below average bust

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Too early to Tell

Votes: 32 44.4%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see that. There’s so many new guys there’s just too many unknowns. One things for sure, the Packers will either be really good or really bad.. or even possibly in between (I’m not feeling real confident either way)
Way to go out on a limb there. I actually respect guys who take a stand one way or the other, but that's just me. I just hope they didn't just paint that fence you are sitting on.

JPPT1974

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just hope that Jordan learned from Aaron just like Aaron learned from Brett. As being consistent and healthy will be the key plus being a team player and a team leader will be key for young Jordan.

D

Deleted member 6794

I can see that. There’s so many new guys there’s just too many unknowns. One things for sure, the Packers will either be really good or really bad.. or even possibly in between (I’m not feeling real confident either way)

I expect the Packers to win a maximum of seven games and don't get anywhere near of making the playoffs. That's fine as long as Love shows some promise in his first season as the starter.

Now had Rodgers gone down to injury in 2020 just as he did in 2013 and 2017 Love would definitely have had to be of use to us.

I don't consider that to be a valid argument as Love wasn't even the backup in 2020 but ended up behind Tim Boyle on the depth chart all season long while not even being active for a single game.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every week will certainly be an adventure. Just hope we do not sink to the very bottom like some franchises in other sports either no light at the end of the tunnel.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect the Packers to win a maximum of seven games and don't get anywhere near of making the playoffs. That's fine as long as Love shows some promise in his first season as the starter.

I don't consider that to be a valid argument as Love wasn't even the backup in 2020 but ended up behind Tim Boyle on the depth chart all season long while not even being active for a single game.
Love would have gotten his shots. Boyle would not likely have put big numbers on the board. You would have heard " We Want Love " from the stands. If Boyle was to be the guy he may still be with us and then we do not draft Love and you get your defensive impact player in 2020.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These scenarios give us a glimpse of how they valued Love. Not much is more important to Brian than draft picks. A Day1 by itself is a very careful thought out plan. Using a 1st/4th when you know good and well he’s a project is very telling to me. Brian did say in an interview they didn’t have any other draft pick left that they felt strongly about. They felt strongly about Love though.

Imo. I truly think The Packers had Jordan graded top #15-#25 parameter range. When he got to past that and no other player was a bonafide top #30 it was already discussed beforehand. I also believe they were not at all afraid of Aaron as he looked to be 36 years old and shrinking a little bit. Had Aaron been 33 and coming off a All Pro season there’s zero chance we go QB. He was turning 37 and showing possible signs of tapering. He was probably good for another 2-3 seasons here. Time to groom a QB. Ok maybe 1 yearly early, but Love needed 2-3 years anyhow and he was a good value. That tells me they really think he’s a legit starting caliber QB
I still harken back to 1968 when Lombardi drafted Don Horn with the thought of replacing Bart Starr down the road. Bart Starr was aging and physically had been beat up in the last couple seasons. And it was showing. But Starr was only a season past a SB championship and 2 seasons past a league MVP. Horn got his shot even at #3 in the final game of 1968 by knocking the Bears out of a playoff spot. Again he played the finale in 1969 and set some Packer passing records at the time. But after that nothing. Let us hope Love does better.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If Rodgers was out for the season that year early...you really think Boyle would of been the starter all year?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He may be using the rationale that Scott Tolzien was better than Matt Flynn.
That's not really a fair assessment of the situation. Wallace and Tolzien were on the roster as 2, and 3 that year. Rodgers got hurt. Wallace promptly got hurt. Tolzien was next up and THEN GB signed Matt Flynn after he was let go by the Raiders. in basically a week and a half Flynn was up to speed with the team and surpassed Tolzien.

Maybe it was because he was never needed so they kept him at #3 and inactive, maybe it was because Love was never close to ready and they would rather suck with Boyle than expose their young and not ready QB too soon he never was on the active roster. The reality is, he didn't surpass boyle once in the season to the active roster. Flynn was the back up after a week and half basically.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm ecstatic they won! They went 11-5 in 2009 and THEN DRAFTED TWO PLAYERS IN THE FIRST ROUND TO HELP THEM WIN A SUPERBOWL!!!!
Didn't notice this until a second read. Much like other things you say on this topic, you like to spin facts to try and fit your narrative. I will let YOU figure out what you got wrong here, but again, you got your facts wrong.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't notice this until a second read. Much like other things you say on this topic, you like to spin facts to try and fit your narrative. I will let YOU figure out what you got wrong here, but again, you got your facts wrong.

Lemme guess, the two first round picks weren't rookies when the Packers won the title in 2010? I think you're ignoring the fact that both players made impacts on the field as rookies and were integral players on the team in season 2. I'll let you figure out the difference between those players' impact on the team vs the impact that Love has had.

Additionally, how am I spinning facts? Love literally made ZERO contributions on the field during the Packers' recent playoff losses. How is that spinning anything?!

Reaction score
Way to go out on a limb there. I actually respect guys who take a stand one way or the other, but that's just me. I just hope they didn't just paint that fence you are sitting on.
Classic Schultz :p
You can relax, you are among friends. You’re stuff gets so condescending at times that it loses its taste somewhere along the chewing on it. It really makes me feel like Rodney Dangerfield in
“Back to School” I’m actually enjoying it this time! :laugh:

You can bank on 1 of 3 things:
1. Love succeeds and you’ll want to kiss me like an Italian
2. Love Gets caught n a Pickle in a QB pedestrian crosswalk
3. Love Bites hind Tiddie!
Beautiful. We’re making headway!
I can actually say we’re in relative agreement. This makes me oh so
so happy (said with Chinese Flare)

And Thennnnnnn! This is You and Me and Schultzy ordering food
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's not really a fair assessment of the situation. Wallace and Tolzien were on the roster as 2, and 3 that year. Rodgers got hurt. Wallace promptly got hurt. Tolzien was next up and THEN GB signed Matt Flynn after he was let go by the Raiders. in basically a week and a half Flynn was up to speed with the team and surpassed Tolzien.

Maybe it was because he was never needed so they kept him at #3 and inactive, maybe it was because Love was never close to ready and they would rather suck with Boyle than expose their young and not ready QB too soon he never was on the active roster. The reality is, he didn't surpass boyle once in the season to the active roster. Flynn was the back up after a week and half basically.
Flynn was also a back up before he left for Seattle. But the point is whether it be Boyle, Flynn, Wallace, or Tolzien or even Hundley. None of them were 1st round picks. And none of them were ever expected to be the Packer QB of the future. Love was a first rounder and was expected for the most part to be the future at least in Gute's mind. Russell Wilson did not sit on the bench for 3 years. Neither did Brett Favre. And the Bengals went with their 1st round QB from the get go. Back in 1965 the Jets had both Joe Namath and John Huarte compete for the starting job as rookies. Did not Josh Allen play as a rookie starter and come into GB in 2018 only to get shutout? It happens.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've often shared how I have one close contact to the team and I try to never bug him, but he did get in touch with me on something else and we got talking about Love and just overall feeling.

He tried not speaking for anyone but himself. He sounds a lot like many of us, reluctantly optimistic with a lot of realistic doubt as well when it comes to what Jordan Love is going to be. He said he has zero doubt that Jordan can make any NFL throw, that is never going to be his issue...it's that high level diagnostic ability and whether it can become like muscle memory every step of the way and not be a forced thought thing. He said when Jordan doesn't think, he sees everything Rodgers was...problem is Rodgers level of knowledge and recall ability in response to defensive inputs were almost at times so fluid it seemed his reactions were almost proactive in nature and not reactive.

He did say though, his observations outside of direct football things is that most seem more comfortable with Love from a personality place than Rodgers. I asked him when he said this though do you think a big part of that is because Love still hasn't cemented himself into "being that guy" and his character just hasn't developed that swag if you will that if he does it may switch some?

His reply was awesome...if he quickly becomes arrogant and cocky because his play allows it, we will be winning the NFC North and a SB contender again so no one will care LOL

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
how am I spinning facts? Love literally made ZERO contributions on the field during the Packers' recent playoff losses. How is that spinning anything?!
Nor did several players, make an impact on the field during the playoffs or other games. Your naming Michael Pittman as a guy that would have, besides being hindsight, doesn't take into account that Lazard put up basically the same numbers as Pittman in 2020. If you think Pittman would have been out there instead of Davante and MVS, you don't know Rodgers or the Packers.

Again, you are correct, Love did not make on the field contributions during the playoffs or really any games, but to imply that any player chosen besides him would have made the Packers that much better to have won SB's, was a reason not to draft Love, is an unprovable point. I can name Free Agents and other draft picks for the last 10 years that would have improved the Packers, but I don't know if enough to win SB's.

Love was drafted for the future, if Gute thought he needed a WR in 2020 to "put them over the top", he should have signed a decent Free Agent WR. I am more upset about that, than I am about him drafting a QB, who is now the starting QB for the Packers.

D

Deleted member 6794

Love would have gotten his shots. Boyle would not likely have put big numbers on the board. You would have heard " We Want Love " from the stands. If Boyle was to be the guy he may still be with us and then we do not draft Love and you get your defensive impact player in 2020.

If Rodgers was out for the season that year early...you really think Boyle would of been the starter all year?

The coaching staff felt that Boyle was a better option to back up Rodgers on game day all season long. I wouldn't have expected him to put up decent numbers but at that point it seems the team considered him to be a superior player compared to Love.

He may be using the rationale that Scott Tolzien was better than Matt Flynn.

As Mondio correctly pointed out that was a completely different situation.

Flynn was also a back up before he left for Seattle. But the point is whether it be Boyle, Flynn, Wallace, or Tolzien or even Hundley. None of them were 1st round picks. And none of them were ever expected to be the Packer QB of the future. Love was a first rounder and was expected for the most part to be the future at least in Gute's mind. Russell Wilson did not sit on the bench for 3 years. Neither did Brett Favre. And the Bengals went with their 1st round QB from the get go. Back in 1965 the Jets had both Joe Namath and John Huarte compete for the starting job as rookies. Did not Josh Allen play as a rookie starter and come into GB in 2018 only to get shutout? It happens.

What does any of that have to do with Boyle being the backup in 2020 and Love not active for a single game?

Nor did several players, make an impact on the field during the playoffs or other games. Your naming Michael Pittman as a guy that would have, besides being hindsight, doesn't take into account that Lazard put up basically the same numbers as Pittman in 2020. If you think Pittman would have been out there instead of Davante and MVS, you don't know Rodgers or the Packers.

Again, you are correct, Love did not make on the field contributions during the playoffs or really any games, but to imply that any player chosen besides him would have made the Packers that much better to have won SB's, was a reason not to draft Love, is an unprovable point. I can name Free Agents and other draft picks for the last 10 years that would have improved the Packers, but I don't know if enough to win SB's.

Love was drafted for the future, if Gute thought he needed a WR in 2020 to "put them over the top", he should have signed a decent Free Agent WR. I am more upset about that, than I am about him drafting a QB, who is now the starting QB for the Packers.

Once again, no one is suggesting that the Packers selecting a different player in 2020 would have guaranteed a Super Bowl win. But it would have improved their chances that season as well as in 2021. As a side note, the team didn't have a ton of cap space to sign free agents at that point to improve the roster.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The coaching staff felt that Boyle was a better option to back up Rodgers on game day all season long. I wouldn't have expected him to put up decent numbers but at that point it seems the team considered him to be a superior player compared to Love.

As Mondio correctly pointed out that was a completely different situation.

What does any of that have to do with Boyle being the backup in 2020 and Love not active for a single game?

Once again, no one is suggesting that the Packers selecting a different player in 2020 would have guaranteed a Super Bowl win. But it would have improved their chances that season as well as in 2021. As a side note, the team didn't have a ton of cap space to sign free agents at that point to improve the roster.
If Rodgers suffers a broken collar bone early or even middle of the season and is potentially done for 2020 and maybe beyond no way does Boyle play the rest or even most of the season. If they are going to lose games they will at least give the ball to the guy who needs to develop and who they are paying the bigger bucks for the future. Boyle was there as just a short fill in. He never was slated to be the heir to Rodgers. The guy you intend to put out there for maybe the next decade is the guy you get as much valuable PT as you can. Ready or not Love would have been out there.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really don't know which way the team would have gone. In my mind, Love should play in that situation. If he's too fragile to be put in that situation because he wasn't "ready", then it was a bad choice. If they would have thought that, they wouldn't have chosen him. BUT, I also would have moved him up the depth chart when I felt he was ready because he was the "future". he wouldn't have stayed buried on the depth chart the entire season. The fact he never moved up that makes me believe they committed to the long haul approach and had no intentions of playing him in that odd year except out of extreme necessity.

But alas, we'll never know.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really don't know which way the team would have gone. In my mind, Love should play in that situation. If he's too fragile to be put in that situation because he wasn't "ready", then it was a bad choice. If they would have thought that, they wouldn't have chosen him. BUT, I also would have moved him up the depth chart when I felt he was ready because he was the "future". he wouldn't have stayed buried on the depth chart the entire season. The fact he never moved up that makes me believe they committed to the long haul approach and had no intentions of playing him in that odd year except out of extreme necessity.

Very well stated. We may not know. But we do know that in pro football there is only 17 games, not 82, or 162. You cannot send a player down to the minors to develop like you would in baseball or hockey. If you lose with Boyle you accomplish very little. If you lose with Love at least his development is much farther along. And that is what would pay dividends for him in future years. Playing Boyle only develops him to play somewhere else.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you lose with Boyle you accomplish very little. If you lose with Love at least his development is much farther along. And that is what would pay dividends for him in future years.
Not necessarily the best case, playing Love when most knew he wasn't ready. Trubisky (in Chicago) wasn't ready, but they put him out there to "develop". He succeeded in making one read & then ran for his life, got sacked, threw it really high to his receivers only to get them killed or it was picked. Love stayed 3rd on the depth chart to allow him to learn from AR (& Boyle) with as little pressure as possible in 2020.

Trubisky has enough talent to stick as a backup because the game has now slowed down for him, mentally. Gute/MLF made the right call, IMHO, letting Love carry a clip board as #3, and hopefully we reap the benefits of that in '23.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Every year a QB or 2 are drafted in the top 10 and wash out. Crappy teams drafting high and wanting to put fans in the seats look to make a splash. Afterall, every fan understands that a elite QB can turn a franchise around. But you have to wonder if these QBs sat for 3 years until they had a deep understanding of the offense and defenses, would they have been successful? So these bad teams trot out these very talented QBs and they get hammered. It has to take its toll on their bodies and their minds. No time to work on your fundamentals when running for your life.
Packers, of course, are much more talented than the perennial bad franchises. But how much better will it be for Love by deeply understanding defenses?
Rodgers was amazing at reading the defense. A lot of our motions are only to see how the defense reacts. Even a OLB glancing at the wide formation, a slight movement by a safety on the hard count all told Rodgers defensive responsibilities and the perfect audible to exploit or best receiving option. That is a lot of info to process in the snap of a finger (or ball).

Anyway, success early in playing time can build the players confidence and teammates confidence. I think a % of these QBs that wash out of the NFL could have succeeded if they sat foe a couple of years. And I believe that was the Packers intention with Love.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not necessarily the best case, playing Love when most knew he wasn't ready. Trubisky (in Chicago) wasn't ready, but they put him out there to "develop". He succeeded in making one read & then ran for his life, got sacked, threw it really high to his receivers only to get them killed or it was picked. Love stayed 3rd on the depth chart to allow him to learn from AR (& Boyle) with as little pressure as possible in 2020.

Trubisky has enough talent to stick as a backup because the game has now slowed down for him, mentally. Gute/MLF made the right call, IMHO, letting Love carry a clip board as #3, and hopefully we reap the benefits of that in '23.
Well said! And typed faster than I did. I actually had trubisky as my example when I first started typing but deleted.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers developing into a HOFer means diddly-squad for how Love will end up working out though.
I'm not suggesting that it does. It does, however, highlight that the fans who are so cocksure of who can and can't play quite often end being proven foolish in their assessments.

Time will tell with respect to Love. Nothing else will.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not suggesting that it does. It does, however, highlight that the fans who are so cocksure of who can and can't play quite often end being proven foolish in their assessments.

Time will tell with respect to Love. Nothing else will.

Yup, the only time definitive claims can be made about players is in hindsight. Time will provide that.

Members online

No members online now.