The Jordan Love Era Begins

Will Jordan Love be 3 in a row for the Packers?

• Yes, he's a FHOF Player

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • He'll be pro bowl good but not FHOF good

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • He'll be average

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • No, he'll be a below average bust

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Too early to Tell

Votes: 32 44.4%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not necessarily the best case, playing Love when most knew he wasn't ready. Trubisky (in Chicago) wasn't ready, but they put him out there to "develop". He succeeded in making one read & then ran for his life, got sacked, threw it really high to his receivers only to get them killed or it was picked. Love stayed 3rd on the depth chart to allow him to learn from AR (& Boyle) with as little pressure as possible in 2020.

Trubisky has enough talent to stick as a backup because the game has now slowed down for him, mentally. Gute/MLF made the right call, IMHO, letting Love carry a clip board as #3, and hopefully we reap the benefits of that in '23.
Yet, you still have to realize that Trubisky beat us that year and went on to win the division. The Bears could have advanced if their place kicker could have made a chip shot. Now if Love could have done that in his first year as a starter then he might never have become the champion clip board carrier we think he is.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The coaching staff felt that Boyle was a better option to back up Rodgers on game day all season long. I wouldn't have expected him to put up decent numbers but at that point it seems the team considered him to be a superior player compared to Love.

As Mondio correctly pointed out that was a completely different situation.

What does any of that have to do with Boyle being the backup in 2020 and Love not active for a single game?

Once again, no one is suggesting that the Packers selecting a different player in 2020 would have guaranteed a Super Bowl win. But it would have improved their chances that season as well as in 2021. As a side note, the team didn't have a ton of cap space to sign free agents at that point to improve the roster.
It could have also decreased their chances. Rookies have a nasty habit of making rookie mistakes. Their are no guarantees of performance from someone drafted 30th in the draft. His mistakes could have hurt us more than helped us.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
My count could be off, but it appears 13 QB's were drafted in the 2020 draft. Three of which were well before Love (Burrows- 1st pick, Tua- #5, Herbert- #6). The Packers had absolutely no chance to pick these guys, unless they wanted to trade away a ton of draft capital. Imagine the blow back had THAT happened.

So Love was the 4th QB taken in the 2020 draft. Taken in a spot where Gute felt it wasn't a huge investment for a guy that he had to have viewed as potentially having a pretty big upside. That upside could have come in the way of being the Packers next QB, a #2 for several years or as future trade bait, something not many talk about.

After Love, Jalen Hurts was the next QB taken (#53). Hindsight? Maybe Gute should have waited and traded up from #62 to a spot he could get Hurts. If he had, we don't have Dillon and who knows what Hurts would have done backing up Rodgers. Ultimately, I think if that had happened, the dislike of trading up in the 2nd for a QB, would have had similar reactions from fans and players, as the Love pick.

After Hurts, the other 8 QB's drafted have pretty much been busts. They are either out of the NFL or hanging on by a thread.

- Jacob Eason (pick #122)
- James Morgan (#125)
- Jake Fromm (#167)
- Jake Luton (#189)
- Cole McDonald (#224)
- Ben DeNucci (#231)
- Tommy Stevens (#240)
- Nate Stanley (#244)

So if 2020 was the year to find Rodgers successor or possibly future trade bait, I would say Gute did pretty well picking Love. I guess we will find out in a season or 2.

Should Gute have waited until 2021 to find his next QB? Hindsight tells me, that would have been a bad year to try it.

Trevor Lawrence (1st, Jaguars), Zach Wilson (2nd, Jets) and Trey Lance (3rd, 49ers), Justin Fields (11th, Bears), Mac Jones (15th, Patriots), Kyle Trask (64th, Buccaneers), Kellen Mond (66th, Vikings) and Davis Mills (67th, Texans)

OK, 2022? 2022 was a weak QB draft. The first QB drafted was Kenny Pickett at #20 by the Steelers. The other 8 QB's selected in the 2022 draft don't really say "OMG, we should have taken him!" Maybe the 1 exception was Brock Purdy. He was the last player selected in the draft, so that means he got passed on 260 times. Hard to blame anyone for missing on that guy, if it turns out to be a miss.

Sorry, post got long. But I guess what came out of it for me was the fact that in the 3 drafts (2020-2022), Love might have been the best value (besides maybe Hurts). He apparently is now ready to start and we will finally start to see if Gute made the right decision.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Jaire has his QB's back for sure.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Regardless of where Jordan goes from here, I think this relatively young team is rallying around him.

I sometimes wonder. When you have a QB as great as #12 does it create some false levels of expectation for players around him that he’ll “carry the team”? Meaning just having a regular level starting QB makes others around him realize they will have to carry their weight, plus some?
This has been and will always be a team sport and it’s nice to see us getting back to a more broad focus on which young player is going to rise up.

I’ve noticed already in several instances that Players in general seem much more relaxed with Jordan and not nearly as intimidated. Several players have eluded to stepping up for Jordan and I believe them, they really like him and they want him to be successful. Jordan just needs to round out that respect with a good, solid season of QB play and things could mend pretty quickly.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

If Rodgers suffers a broken collar bone early or even middle of the season and is potentially done for 2020 and maybe beyond no way does Boyle play the rest or even most of the season. If they are going to lose games they will at least give the ball to the guy who needs to develop and who they are paying the bigger bucks for the future. Boyle was there as just a short fill in. He never was slated to be the heir to Rodgers. The guy you intend to put out there for maybe the next decade is the guy you get as much valuable PT as you can. Ready or not Love would have been out there.

It's a fact the coaching staff believed it was better to have Boyle as the backup all season long in 2020. You're just speculating that Love would have started instead of him if Rodgers got hurt. You don't have any evidence to back up that statement though.

But how much better will it be for Love by deeply understanding defenses?

If Love is able to deeply understand opposing defenses he will be a successful quarterback in the NFL. We have no idea if he's capable of doing that at this point though.

Yet, you still have to realize that Trubisky beat us that year and went on to win the division. The Bears could have advanced if their place kicker could have made a chip shot. Now if Love could have done that in his first year as a starter then he might never have become the champion clip board carrier we think he is.

The Bears went 5-11 during Trubisky's rookie season despite having the ninth ranked scoring defense.

It could have also decreased their chances. Rookies have a nasty habit of making rookie mistakes. Their are no guarantees of performance from someone drafted 30th in the draft. His mistakes could have hurt us more than helped us.

That's a huge reach to suggest something like that.

So Love was the 4th QB taken in the 2020 draft. Taken in a spot where Gute felt it wasn't a huge investment for a guy that he had to have viewed as potentially having a pretty big upside. That upside could have come in the way of being the Packers next QB, a #2 for several years or as future trade bait, something not many talk about.

What's the point of using a first rounder on a prospect to use him as trade bait some years down the road? It would be way smarter to select a player that could actually help at that point instead.

So if 2020 was the year to find Rodgers successor or possibly future trade bait, I would say Gute did pretty well picking Love. I guess we will find out in a season or 2.

The point some of us are trying to make is that 2020 wasn't the right time to find Rodgers' successor though.

Sorry, post got long. But I guess what came out of it for me was the fact that in the 3 drafts (2020-2022), Love might have been the best value (besides maybe Hurts). He apparently is now ready to start and we will finally start to see if Gute made the right decision.

At this point we have no idea if Love ends up being any better than some of the quarterbacks you listed. In addition there would have been other ways to bring in a starting quarterback as well.

Jaire has his QB's back for sure.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

It might be smart for Jaire to think before talking sometimes.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you think Boyle's mistakes would not have hurt us? Would Love's superior athleticism over Boyle's have made a difference?

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a fact the coaching staff believed it was better to have Boyle as the backup all season long in 2020. You're just speculating that Love would have started instead of him if Rodgers got hurt. You don't have any evidence to back up that statement though.

If Love is able to deeply understand opposing defenses he will be a successful quarterback in the NFL. We have no idea if he's capable of doing that at this point though.

The Bears went 5-11 during Trubisky's rookie season despite having the ninth ranked scoring defense.

What's the point of using a first rounder on a prospect to use him as trade bait some years down the road? It would be way smarter to select a player that could actually help at that point instead.

The point some of us are trying to make is that 2020 wasn't the right time to find Rodgers' successor though.

At this point we have no idea if Love ends up being any better than some of the quarterbacks you listed. In addition there would have been other ways to bring in a starting quarterback as well.

Trubisky sat in the bench behind Mike Glennon in 2017 despite being the 3rd best passer in the league in preseason. When he did get to be the starter a year later he won the division when we were the favorites. He did not sit for 3 years.
And maybe 2020 was not the right time either to draft Rodgers' replacement. But if that is the case we can say definitely that 2005 was not the time to draft a QB but who it happened and the result was good in the long haul. Not even Favre. And Rodgers may not have been a #30 pick but 24 is not far behind. And comparing the two situations Rodgers had a history of injury resulting in missing games. Brett Favre never did. And like I said we needed way more help on the roster in 2005 than in 2020. So be open minded about Gute's decision. And yes we could have said that TT could have waited until 2007 to draft an heir apparent. And who would that have been? Not Aaron Rodgers.

Reaction score
I don’t know about that. It seems to be working for Jaire thus far so if I were him I wouldn’t change at all. Personally, I absolutely Love the playful camaraderie. It’s something we’ve been missing as Rodgers was often a little too serious imo.

There’s nothing wrong with having fun at work like J’aire did. I kinda liked it actually. They really like Jordan and you can’t really fault someone for being well liked.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is what I’m talking about with it being a team sport vs the Rodgers approach of how everyone caters to his every Whimm (pun intended!)
If the bulk of players takes this attitude? it’s bound to help us through our QB reset.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Do you think Boyle's mistakes would not have hurt us? Would Love's superior athleticism over Boyle's have made a difference?

The Packers wouldn't have made the playoffs with either Boyle or Love having to start a significant amount of games in 2020 anyway. But as mentioned repeatedly the coaching staff considered Boyle to be the better backup all season long strongly indicating they considered him more ready at that point than Love.

Trubisky sat in the bench behind Mike Glennon in 2017 despite being the 3rd best passer in the league in preseason. When he did get to be the starter a year later he won the division when we were the favorites. He did not sit for 3 years.

Trubisky started from week 5 on during his rookie season going 4-8 as the Bears starter.

And maybe 2020 was not the right time either to draft Rodgers' replacement. But if that is the case we can say definitely that 2005 was not the time to draft a QB but who it happened and the result was good in the long haul. Not even Favre. And Rodgers may not have been a #30 pick but 24 is not far behind. And comparing the two situations Rodgers had a history of injury resulting in missing games. Brett Favre never did. And like I said we needed way more help on the roster in 2005 than in 2020. So be open minded about Gute's decision. And yes we could have said that TT could have waited until 2007 to draft an heir apparent. And who would that have been? Not Aaron Rodgers.

Once again, the 2005 team wasn't a contender anyway, therefore it made sense to focus on the future and selecting a quarterback considered by many to be the top prospect in that year's draft. In addition Favre had threatened to retire several times at that point already.

I'm open minded about Love being the starting quarterback moving forward. But I will continue to consider drafting him a mistake as long as the team doesn't win a Super Bowl with him.

I don’t know about that. It seems to be working for Jaire thus far so if I were him I wouldn’t change at all. Personally, I absolutely Love the playful camaraderie. It’s something we’ve been missing as Rodgers was often a little too serious imo.

There’s nothing wrong with having fun at work like J’aire did. I kinda liked it actually. They really like Jordan and you can’t really fault someone for being well liked.

I'm not surprised that most players seem to get along with Love better than with Rodgers. First of all he's their age compared to Rodgers who was 10 years older than most other players on the roster. In addition it might be intimidating for a lot of young players to have a HOFer around. On top of that Love seems to be a genuinely good person as well.

Jaire shouldn't put any more pressure on him by saying stuff like that. Love has already a ton of it to deal with without his teammates adding even more.

This is what I’m talking about with it being a team sport vs the Rodgers approach of how everyone caters to his every Whimm (pun intended!)
If the bulk of players takes this attitude? it’s bound to help us through our QB reset.

I don't put any stock into talk like that. If it would be that easy for the defense to step up their game they should have done that over the past few years as well.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers wouldn't have made the playoffs with either Boyle or Love having to start a significant amount of games in 2020 anyway. But as mentioned repeatedly the coaching staff considered Boyle to be the better backup all season long strongly indicating they considered him more ready at that point than Love.

Trubisky started from week 5 on during his rookie season going 4-8 as the Bears starter.

Once again, the 2005 team wasn't a contender anyway, therefore it made sense to focus on the future and selecting a quarterback considered by many to be the top prospect in that year's draft. In addition Favre had threatened to retire several times at that point already.

I'm open minded about Love being the starting quarterback moving forward. But I will continue to consider drafting him a mistake as long as the team doesn't win a Super Bowl with him.

I'm not surprised that most players seem to get along with Love better than with Rodgers. First of all he's their age compared to Rodgers who was 10 years older than most other players on the roster. In addition it might be intimidating for a lot of young players to have a HOFer around. On top of that Love seems to be a genuinely good person as well.

Jaire shouldn't put any more pressure on him by saying stuff like that. Love has already a ton of it to deal with without his teammates adding even more.

I don't put any stock into talk like that. If it would be that easy for the defense to step up their game they should have done that over the past few years as well.
Actually, as much as the 2005 team needed help it was still a contender and considered by many before the season to win a 4th straight division title. And that was because anytime you had #4 on your roster that made you a contender. So when you have a HOF QB starting for you who never missed a start and still plenty of years left in his body drafting a QB was not going to help you for a number of years. Drafting offensive linemen to block for your HOF QB and the backfield that had just set the record for most yards rushing by a Packer team would have helped. And judging by our division back then winning it was not out of sight. And if you lose with Boyle you gain nothing but help the next team he goes to. Losing with Love pays dividends because he is the future. Maybe if Rodgers got experience in 2006 or 2007 due to a Favre injury it might have paid off in 2009 instead of waiting until 2010. Maybe he hits Greg Jennings and we beat Arizona.

Last edited:
Reaction score
IMO you underestimate the power of a team mentality and definitely the power of the spoken word.

Also. You take stuff too way literal when it comes to what J’aire said and things like that. Can a guy not have any fun whatsoever and still win? Or do we all have to be robots

Reaction score
Actually, as much as the 2005 team needed help it was still a contender and considered by many before the season to win a 4th straight division title. And that was because anytime you had #4 on your roster that made you a contender. So when you have an HOF QB starting for you who never missed a start and still plenty of yours left in his body drafting a QB was not going to help you for a number of years. Drafting offensive linemen to block for your HOF QB and the backfield that had just set the record for most yards rushing by a Packer team would have helped. And judging by our division back then another winning it was not out of sight. And if you lose with Boyle you gain nothing but help the next team he goes to. Losing with Love pays dividends because he is the future. Maybe if Rodgers got experience in 2006 or 2007 due to a Favre injury it might have paid off in 2009 instead of waiting until 2010. Maybe he hits Greg Jennings and we beat Arizona.
That was the year we were pretty banged up. Javon Walker was a near 1,400 yard Wideout and he was lost for the 2005 season. It’s like losing Davante Adams to start Week 1.

Then RB1 and RB2 RB3 RB4 all go down. Ahman Green (Tendon) Davenport (broken ankle) Fisher (fracture). We signed Gado and he blew his MCL

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO you underestimate the power of a team mentality and definitely the power of the spoken word.

Also. You take stuff too way literal when it comes to what J’aire said and things like that. Can a guy not have any fun whatsoever and still win? Or do we all have to be robots
You see it happen all the time. How attitude affects performance. Folks call it 'the momentum' when a team is playing poorly and suddenly start taking charge. They didn't suddenly become talented, smarter, or whatever - their attitude changed. They started playing more aggressively, with confidence, or focused or . . .

I would imagine it's not about the literal words, but seen as a slight on a certain sports hero when you compliment the guy who took his spot.

Reaction score
You see it happen all the time. How attitude affects performance. Folks call it 'the momentum' when a team is playing poorly and suddenly start taking charge. They didn't suddenly become talented, smarter, or whatever - their attitude changed. They started playing more aggressively, with confidence, or focused or . . .

I would imagine it's not about the literal words, but seen as a slight on a certain sports hero when you compliment the guy who took his spot.
I see what you did there I like it!
Yes even attitude. Trust me there’s power in the word also. Ask Matt Hasselback, he’s a top 10 highlight reel of Goofball’s of how it can also even negatively impact the game.
Even A group of Guys can get motivated in the most unusual ways, but communicating the spoken word is a very powerful tool in the toolbox
See Kevin Greene to CM3

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was the year we were pretty banged up. Javon Walker was a near 1,400 yard Wideout and he was lost for the 2005 season. It’s like losing Davante Adams to start Week 1.

Then RB1 and RB2 RB3 RB4 all go down. Ahman Green (Tendon) Davenport (broken ankle) Fisher (fracture). We signed Gado and he blew his MCL
We also lost center Mike Flanigan for good very early. Losing that middle 3 on the line killed us especially our backs. It was a wonder that Favre survived and was ready for more.

Reaction score
We also lost center Mike Flanigan for good very early. Losing that middle 3 on the line killed us especially our backs. It was a wonder that Favre survived and was ready for more.
Yep. That 2005 team was decimated. Between losses in FA and injuries we were lucky to win 4 games

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, as much as the 2005 team needed help it was still a contender and considered by many before the season to win a 4th straight division title. And that was because anytime you had #4 on your roster that made you a contender. So when you have a HOF QB starting for you who never missed a start and still plenty of years left in his body drafting a QB was not going to help you for a number of years. Drafting offensive linemen to block for your HOF QB and the backfield that had just set the record for most yards rushing by a Packer team would have helped. And judging by our division back then winning it was not out of sight. And if you lose with Boyle you gain nothing but help the next team he goes to. Losing with Love pays dividends because he is the future. Maybe if Rodgers got experience in 2006 or 2007 due to a Favre injury it might have paid off in 2009 instead of waiting until 2010. Maybe he hits Greg Jennings and we beat Arizona.
So you also think Love was a bad pick?

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Amen brother Amish. That is one of the things I really liked about Rodgers. The R-E-L-A-X year when he said we are going to win out and they did. The teams attitude change and momentum behind his leadership was awesome to watch. Last year he almost pulled off the same thing with a late season winning streak while playing injured, which I am sure motivated his teammates.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you also think Love was a bad pick?
No. Not at all. I was just pointing out that if you were going to criticize the GM for picking Love there should have certainly been as much or even more outrage for picking Rodgers back in 2005. There was some but not nearly what we hear now. And as much as the 2020 team needed some help the 2005 team needed a lot more help but it was not at QB at that time. As much as Favre played his games he had years left and TT knew it. I do not say that Love was a bad pick. I say that the GM looked for a QB for the future in light that Rodgers may not be there in 3 or 4 years either due to injury of which he had plenty or due to contract issues which were far less a factor with Brett Favre back in 2005.

D

Deleted member 6794

Actually the Packers were tied for the 15th best odds to win the Super Bowl entering the 2005 season and their over/under for wins was set at 8.0. While they underperformed that season they weren't considered a contender entering it either. In addition the team found itself in a completely different situation as Favre had threatened to retire for several years and had to get rid of some veteran players because of their cap situation. We will just have to disagree that it was a worse decision to draft a quarterback in the first round at that point compared to 2020. With that being said there was a ton of criticism of Thompson for selecting Rodgers.

As a side note, I truly don't know what you expected from a quarterback in his first two seasons as a starter but Rodgers and the team's offense played extremely well in 2008 and '09 finishing fifth and third in points scored respectively. While there's no doubt it was Rodgers' fault overthrowing Jennings on the play in overtime that would have won the game he deserves a ton of credit for that game even going to overtime after scoring 45 points in his first playoff game.

I'm all in favor of the team having fun. Alexander telling the world that Love is the best QB in the game doesn't help in my opinion though.

BS. It adds unnecessary pressure on a first year starter who has to deal with a lot anyway though.

Amen brother Amish. That is one of the things I really liked about Rodgers. The R-E-L-A-X year when he said we are going to win out and they did. The teams attitude change and momentum behind his leadership was awesome to watch. Last year he almost pulled off the same thing with a late season winning streak while playing injured, which I am sure motivated his teammates.

No, no, no, you just don't get it. Rodgers was a terrible leader, don't you know?

As much as Favre played his games he had years left and TT knew it.

How did Thompson knew with Favre threatening to retire every single season at that point?

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. Not at all. I was just pointing out that if you were going to criticize the GM for picking Love there should have certainly been as much or even more outrage for picking Rodgers back in 2005. There was some but not nearly what we hear now. And as much as the 2020 team needed some help the 2005 team needed a lot more help but it was not at QB at that time. As much as Favre played his games he had years left and TT knew it. I do not say that Love was a bad pick. I say that the GM looked for a QB for the future in light that Rodgers may not be there in 3 or 4 years either due to injury of which he had plenty or due to contract issues which were far less a factor with Brett Favre back in 2005.
If you would have said 1-2 years, I buy the argument. At 3-4 years I am still a seller. IMO.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you would have said 1-2 years, I buy the argument. At 3-4 years I am still a seller. IMO.
Probably realistic. I am not in favor of 3 years to develop a QB. Their careers are short. And there is no Triple A or minor league in football. But that is still the common thought. And it was when Favre played as well. Roger Staubach was in the Navy serving the country. He could have been a starting QB a year or so out of the Academy.

Members online