The case that Aaron Rodgers is playing himself into the MVP conversation

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The Packers are 9-1 when the defense gives up less than 30.

No way they can hold the first 10 games against him.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
He's got nothing to prove. If Brady, a guy he's outplayed the majority of his career, is an All-time great, then so is he.
When you think about all time great, the first names that come to mind are Montana and Brady. If we're talking about most outstanding or greatest talent, then you start to look at a Dan Marino. There's a difference.

If Rodgers wants to compile an all time great resume to stack up against Brady and/or Montana, he needs to get another ring, perhaps two at the very least. Get to double digit playoff wins. Get another Super Bowl MVP or two.

If he does that, he's the greatest ever when you pair the SB wins to the individual accomplishment.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I thought you meant during the season and I was thinking I'd trade it for one more win but I see where you went with that.

Afterall, winning the Super Bowl MVP might even be better than winning the regular season MVP, since it usually comes with a Lombardi too.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PFF's take on why it will be close to impossible for the Lions to defend Rodgers.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pr...l-be-close-to-impossible-for-lions-to-defend/

We can get spoiled by how good Rodgers is. He has been so good lately but that is what we expect so if he is any less than that we are disappointed.

The Packers offense with Rodgers on his game and then wr threats in Nelson, Adams Cook and Montgomery running and receiving is scary. I really hope the Packers bring Cook back bc this offense now has What it was missing all last year - a deep threat at wr, a te who could stretch the field and a rb who was a receiving threat.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
We can get spoiled by how good Rodgers is. He has been so good lately but that is what we expect so if he is any less than that we are disappointed.

The Packers offense with Rodgers on his game and then wr threats in Nelson, Adams Cook and Montgomery running and receiving is scary. I really hope the Packers bring Cook back bc this offense now has What it was missing all last year - a deep threat at wr, a te who could stretch the field and a rb who was a receiving threat.
Absolutely.

Incredible how much difference a year can make. Last year, no one could get open, receivers routinely dropped passes, Eddie Lacy was fat and unproductive, and Richard Rodgers was our best tight end.

Looking at things now, Jordy looks to be at least 90% of the way back, Devante is an emerging star, and then you have good serviceable guys like Cobb, emerging talents like Allison (really like him), and of course Jared Cook. He adds a totally different dimension to this offense that we haven't had since Finley.

If Ty continues impressing the way that he has recently, this offense will prove to be lethal moving forward.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I really hope the Packers bring Cook back bc this offense now has What it was missing all last year - a deep threat at wr, a te who could stretch the field and a rb who was a receiving threat.

Can't agree more with this. I think the Chemistry between Cook and AR is just starting to develop. Some of the knocks on Cook prior to coming to GB was that he dropped balls and checked out of plays. I haven't seen that from him and I think now that he finally has a FHOF QB to work with, he will keep giving the Packers more and more of what they were lacking out of the position ever since they lost Finley.

IMO the resigning of Cook should be at the top of the Packers offseason priorities.

Last edited:

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't agree more with this. I think the Chemistry between Cook and AR is just starting to develop. Some of the knocks on Cook prior to coming to GB was that he dropped balls and checked out of plays. I haven't seen that from him and I think now that he finally has a FHOF QB to work with, he will keep giving the Packers more and more of what they were lacking out of the position ever since they lost Finley.

IMO the resigning of Cook should be at the top of the Packers offseason priorities.

Cook's injuries worry me a bit but I would take 12 games of Cook in a heart beat. Keep him and the draft can focus on cb, lb and d line.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Cook's injuries worry me a bit but I would take 12 games of Cook in a heart beat. Keep him and the draft can focus on cb, lb and d line.

I'm not going to pretend to know Cooks injury history, but just a quick glance at his career stats shows that prior to this year he played in all 16 games 5 out of 7 of his previous seasons and only missed 2 or 3 games in the other 2 years.

Is there an injury history with Cook?

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not going to pretend to know Cooks injury history, but just a quick glance at his career stats shows that prior to this year he played in all 16 games 5 out of 7 of his previous seasons and only missed 2 or 3 games in the other 2 years.

Is there an injury history with Cook?

Interesting. There was an injury prone knock on him. Maybe it just isn't accurate.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you think about all time great, the first names that come to mind are Montana and Brady. If we're talking about most outstanding or greatest talent, then you start to look at a Dan Marino. There's a difference.

If Rodgers wants to compile an all time great resume to stack up against Brady and/or Montana, he needs to get another ring, perhaps two at the very least. Get to double digit playoff wins. Get another Super Bowl MVP or two.

If he does that, he's the greatest ever when you pair the SB wins to the individual accomplishment.

When I think about all time greats , I think about Unitas and Starr.

D

Deleted member 6794

I really hope the Packers bring Cook back bc this offense now has What it was missing all last year - a deep threat at wr, a te who could stretch the field and a rb who was a receiving threat.

After watching one of McCarthy's press conferences this week I'm absolutely convinced the Packers want Cook back for next season.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That'll depend on if Teddy picks up his phone or not.

Well the good news with Cook, he is now a "Packer" so TT may not view him as a FA from another team. Given Richard Rodgers failure to get any better and absolutely nobody else on the team, I think it would be a huge mistake not to resign Cook, unless TT has his eyes on an even better veteran FA TE......odds of that?

2017 is going to be a long season at TE if we begin it with Richard Rodgers and a few other UDFA's or even drafted rookie TE's. Save the pick for a CB and resign Cook!

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What if O.J. Howard is available when we pick? I'd be 'all in'; draft him, and bring the 2 TE set back. Howard and Cook on the field at the same time would be a matchup nightmare.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
My ballot would be

1. Ryan
2. Rodgers
3. Johnson
4. Elliott
5. Carr

Brady and Bell are out for me with their missed games to start. Zeke isn't the map on his offense and if you count his online as one unit he is the 3rd most valuable unit. Johnson and Ryan are not getting near enough love. They have having great years. MVP worthy. The 5th spot was a throw in. Could be Carr, Stafford, or bell/brady

Ugh. NE fans are awful.

What makes Brady's season so impressive to this point is the 2 interceptions. But with him missing the 4 games, I just don't see how he can get MVP when Rodgers and others already have mid 30's plus in TD's.

Also, Brady is buffered greatly by his first 4 games. The past 6 have been really good, but only completing 62% of his passes versus 73% in his first 5 games. YPA is down over that stretch, his yards are down over that stretch, passer rating, QBR, etc. While Rodgers is trending up.

This is in no way meant to attack Brady or diminish what he is doing. He's been remarkable. But he's not the run away single greatest candidate on the list like some would lead people to believe.

Seriously ? You ppl ... Its ok for Rodgers to play awfull for the first half of the season, and good in the last half and you ppl still have him in top for MVP ? While in the same Breath discounting Brady and Bell for missing a few games in the start ? Pot meet kettle ...

Asking NE fans about Brady is utterly useless. Nobody can touch Brady in their minds. Just surf their boards and see what happens every time Rodgers has a great game or receives a lot of praise, they diss him. You should read the crap they write about Rodgers when someone dares to call him the best in the game. They go ballistic.

The same could be said for alot of fellow Packer fans ...according to most ppl in here Arod "can do No wrong" ...

Objectively No matter what criteria you pretty much put up ... Brady should be considered to be better than Rodgers ... that is if ppl could stop with the Homer kool-aid ... :p

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Seriously ? You ppl ... Its ok for Rodgers to play awfull for the first half of the season, and good in the last half and you ppl still have him in top for MVP ? While in the same Breath discounting Brady and Bell for missing a few games in the start ? Pot meet kettle ...

The same could be said for alot of fellow Packer fans ...according to most ppl in here Arod "can do No wrong" ...

Objectively No matter what criteria you pretty much put up ... Brady should be considered to be better than Rodgers ... that is if ppl could stop with the Homer kool-aid ... :p

If there was a Nobel prize for forum observations, you sir just got one.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

The "shield" wants to portray a certain image to the world. If that is true, then allowing a player who was suspended to win mvp in that same year, is okay?

I'm okay with Brady or bell winning it, but I'm looking at how the NFL wants to be protrayed

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts