The case that Aaron Rodgers is playing himself into the MVP conversation

D

Deleted member 6794

The final 3 weeks of the season, as well as how far the Packers go after that, could vault AR right into another MVP. But it would possibly take a deep run and even a SB for him to vault ahead of everyone else currently ahead of him.

The MVP award is voted on by sportswriters after the conclusion of the regular season before the playoffs start.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where are the Packets without ARod? They are a last place team with 2 to 4 wins. He is easily the most valuable player in therror NFL. No other team depends more on a single player to be competitive.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he deserves it more than Zeke.

With all the injuries and ...
- himself leading doing bulk of the team's rushing intially
- playing most of the season with no running game
- to leading a remarkable comeback
- stellar performances with a calf injury

I think if we beat the Lions, AR12 deserves it this time around too.

And Merry Christmas to ya'll!

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Where are the Packets without ARod? They are a last place team with 2 to 4 wins. He is easily the most valuable player in therror NFL. No other team depends more on a single player to be competitive.
Where are the Lions without Stafford this season or the Falcons without Ryan? Oakland and Carr?

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Leads the NFL in passing TDs with 36, but has 40 total TD's, to just 7 picks.

The "run the table" comment is going to be what takes the cake, and actually backing it up. But we have one big game left to finish this thing off. If we beat Detroit and he puts up a good showing, I don't see how he's denied.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
--Rodgers again? Who else you got that is good this season? Bell? Zeke? Duke?--
That attitude is how he gets denied.
I'm not sure what you are referring to with attitude.

There are a lot of good candidates, but I don't think anyone has a better overall resume than that of Rodgers.

Bell missed the 1st three games and only has 1100 rushing yards and 6 TD's. Also has over 600 receiving yards, but I think that he gets overlooked due to the missing of games. Same with Brady. Zeke has been great, but Dak has also been outstanding, and I see the two of them splitting votes, thus eliminating both of them. Not to mention the idea that Zeke and Dak will likely be limited in the last 2 games due to them clinching the 1 seed, and thus will not likely continue to put up big statistics. And I don't see the voters rewarding a rookie with this honor, just my opinion.

Matt Ryan has been excellent, I think he provides the biggest competition to Rodgers. He has the higher completion percentage, thrown for more yards, etc., but Rodgers has also ran for another 300+ yards and has 4 rushing TDs. Rodgers also doesn't have Julio Jones, nor did he have a reliable running game for much of the season. I mean, Rodgers was our leading rusher just a few weeks ago. The degree of difficulty for Rodgers is significantly higher than Ryan when all things are taken into consideration.

And lastly, the voters love a story. The way this thing has went, Rodgers' team was 4-6, and he said that he thought that his team could run the table. And the fact that his numbers have been as great as they have been over that stretch I think puts him over the top. But it will be important for the Packers to win this last game.

Rodgers is our quarterback. Whether he is the front runner or not, I certainly hope that he wins the award.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My ballot would be

1. Ryan
2. Rodgers
3. Johnson
4. Elliott
5. Carr

Brady and Bell are out for me with their missed games to start. Zeke isn't the map on his offense and if you count his online as one unit he is the 3rd most valuable unit. Johnson and Ryan are not getting near enough love. They have having great years. MVP worthy. The 5th spot was a throw in. Could be Carr, Stafford, or bell/brady

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
My ballot would be

1. Ryan
2. Rodgers
3. Johnson
4. Elliott
5. Carr

Brady and Bell are out for me with their missed games to start. Zeke isn't the map on his offense and if you count his online as one unit he is the 3rd most valuable unit. Johnson and Ryan are not getting near enough love. They have having great years. MVP worthy. The 5th spot was a throw in. Could be Carr, Stafford, or bell/brady
What hurts Johnson is not making the playoffs.

That, and it has also been historically tough to reward a skill position player over a quarterback. You have to do something extremely remarkable to get that type of consideration, and I just don't think there has been a running back this year that has separated themselves from the pack. Zeke, Bell, and Johnson have all been extraordinary, but no one guy has been that much more exceptional than the other, when all factors are considered.

You are spot on with your thought on Ryan. If not this year, then when? He's been exceptional. And has some really impressive signature wins to go along with it.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What hurts Johnson is not making the playoffs.

That, and it has also been historically tough to reward a skill position player over a quarterback. You have to do something extremely remarkable to get that type of consideration, and I just don't think there has been a running back this year that has separated themselves from the pack. Zeke, Bell, and Johnson have all been extraordinary, but no one guy has been that much more exceptional than the other, when all factors are considered.

You are spot on with your thought on Ryan. If not this year, then when? He's been exceptional. And has some really impressive signature wins to go along with it.

I get your point I just don't like playoffs being a big part and I dont think it should be a qb only award. Johnson has over 2000 rushing and receiving yards and 20 tds. He will likely finish with 2200 yards and 20 plus tds. That is 100 or something yards short of AP's mvp season with like 8 more tds. His team didn't make the playoffs and I know that matters to some but not to me

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People on NE sports radio have Brady as a shoe-in and no one else comes close to the best player of all time. Seriously.

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think with Dallas locked into a 1st round bye and trying to avoid catastrophic injury (Oakland, Tennessee) they'll "rest" Preston & Elliot more than they had planned. This will definitely enhance the MVP discussion towards AR and maybe David Johnson. Zeke should get Offensive Rookie of the year, but AR should be in strong consideration.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I get your point I just don't like playoffs being a big part and I dont think it should be a qb only award. Johnson has over 2000 rushing and receiving yards and 20 tds. He will likely finish with 2200 yards and 20 plus tds. That is 100 or something yards short of AP's mvp season with like 8 more tds. His team didn't make the playoffs and I know that matters to some but not to me
Yeah I get it, but unfortunately Johnson isn't viewed as the same level of player that AP was.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I get it, but unfortunately Johnson isn't viewed as the same level of player that AP was.

It is because his team will miss the playoffs and he is a receiving rb not just a runner like ap. AP got almost all his yards on the ground

Bluegrass79

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He needs to keep the total touchdowns for the season, beat the heck out of the Lions, and hope Elliot doesnt break the single season rushing record as a rookie.
Elliot needs like 190 yards in the next 2 games to break ****ersons record. He is MVP if that happens imo.
It belongs to Rodgers if not.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
People on NE sports radio have Brady as a shoe and no one else comes close to the best player of all time. Seriously.
Ugh. NE fans are awful.

What makes Brady's season so impressive to this point is the 2 interceptions. But with him missing the 4 games, I just don't see how he can get MVP when Rodgers and others already have mid 30's plus in TD's.

Also, Brady is buffered greatly by his first 4 games. The past 6 have been really good, but only completing 62% of his passes versus 73% in his first 5 games. YPA is down over that stretch, his yards are down over that stretch, passer rating, QBR, etc. While Rodgers is trending up.

This is in no way meant to attack Brady or diminish what he is doing. He's been remarkable. But he's not the run away single greatest candidate on the list like some would lead people to believe.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers are the Cleveland Browns of the NFC without Rodgers. If the Packers win the North he should get the award without question. This team was 4-6, and a long shot to make the playoffs. Rodgers has been on a tear since the Falcons game..and even tho they lost to the Falcons and the Colts this didn't just start over the past couple weeks.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The Packers are the Cleveland Browns of the NFC without Rodgers. If the Packers win the North he should get the award without question. This team was 4-6, and a long shot to make the playoffs. Rodgers has been on a tear since the Falcons game..and even tho they lost to the Falcons and the Colts this didn't just start over the past couple weeks.
He was definitely part of the reason they were 4-6 imo. He just wasn't consistently very good the entire first half of the season.

Reaction score
My ballot would be

1. Ryan
2. Rodgers
3. Johnson
4. Elliott
5. Carr
Merry Christmas!! to all of you and your families..
While I agree Matt Ryan is having a absolutely standout year..I think it's also pertinent to recognize that Aaron is the first QB this year to reach 40 all purpose TDs (Matt's got 34) with time to spare.

Last edited:

Latest posts