The case that Aaron Rodgers is playing himself into the MVP conversation

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I've seen Stafford's name mentioned several weeks ago already. Mainly it was because of his performance without C. Johnson that got noticed probably more so than the comebacks but now that the comebacks are starting to pile up like cord wood they have become the focus, and perhaps rightly so. If Carr's performance against KC can cause him to slip how can you count Rodgers in with his poor performances early in the year. Several bad performances early on don't matter but 1 bad performance later in the year does? That doesn't make sense to me. I'm up in the air about Brady but the 3-1 without him probably takes him out of the running IMO although Gronk is the only other star they really have and they have been winning without him so maybe there is something to it. I already made my feelings know on Prescott and Elliot. If two guys are considered it really can't be either one.

In my mind right now it's Matt Ryan's to lose with Carr and Stafford Second and third but my dark horse would be David Johnson from Arizona. The only thing keeping him out of serious consideration is the Cardinal's record.

Like I said earlier though, if Rodgers can keep it up for the next three weeks and the Packers do win out and make the playoffs he would have to at least be considered.
I'm not saying Carr is out, I have heard from so called experts he fell off

Voltron

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to credit Green and Gold for giving me the idea to really dive into the numbers.

I probably should wait until after the Dallas game to really get a good idea of where he stands with Dak being towards the top, but just taking a look at his numbers with todays performance:

He now leads the league in touchdown passes with 32 (add 3 rushing TD's for 35 total)

His completion percentage is now north of 65%.

Only 7 interceptions.

Over 3,500 yards with 3 games to go. And he also has around 300 rushing yards. He'll certainly have more when the season is over with. He didn't have over 300 rushing yards in either of his MVP seasons (11, 14)

He's 4th in total QBR at 77, that will certainly go up with today's throwing clinic. His passer rating of 98.5 will certainly move to above 100 for the season with today's 150.8.

Now, also take into consideration the way that he has played since week 7. A lot of times what is taken into consideration is how do you finish the season? In Rodgers' case, since week 7, he's thrown 22 TD's to 3 interceptions, completing 68 percent of his passes and has had a passer rating of 100+ in 6 of those 8 games. He's also thrown for 2,359 yards in that stretch, all of these numbers if I am not mistaken are best in the NFL over that stretch, maybe with exception to the passer rating. - Check that, Dak has had more 100+ passer rating games over the last 8.

So with this being said, I clearly feel as if he has played his way into the conversation. Not that he is necessarily the front runner. This will be contingent on:

1. His health
2. If he continues this great play
3. If he gets us to the postseason

If so, I think he's at least a top 3 consideration.

So I guess my question is, do you agree that he is in the conversation? And if so, where would you rank him among the other candidates? Me personally, I currently have Dak, and Ryan ahead of him.

I personally would take SuperBowl MVP over regular MVP any day.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
What do these players all have in common?

Kurt Warner.

Emmitt Smith.

Joe Montana.

Steve Young.

Bart Starr

They have all won the regular season MVP as well as winning the Super Bowl MVP that year. Finish strong Aaron and let's add you to the list!

D

Deleted member 6794

Aaron Rodgers passed D Carr, R Wilson, M Stafford and Andrew Luck in passing yards.. we also know he is #1 in the entire league in scoring (which is the key ingredient in winning)

If we make the NFC Championship game after being 4-6 and counted out.. he should be MVP,PBS, NBC, ABC, CBS and winner of whatever other awards there are

Rodgers has moved ahead of the quarterbacks you mentioned in passing yards because of a larger number of attempts. He´s still currently ranked only 19th in yards per attempt.

Playoff success doesn´t affect the MVP voting as it is awarded for regular season performance only.

Really ??? I`ll give you the past three.....even four in there, but seven ?? I`m on board here that things are beginning to look rosey again but......oh never mind.

http://www.packers.com/gameday/schedule.html

Rodgers has completed 67.6% of his passes for 2,033 yards, 19 touchdowns and only three interceptions over the past seven games for a league leading 109.5 passer rating over that period. Yeah, I think he has performed on an elite level.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-since-week-7-aaron-rodgers-has-been-nfls-highest-graded-qb/

Last edited by a moderator:
I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Rodgers has completed 67.6% of his passes for 2,033 yards, 19 touchdowns and only three interceptions over the past seven games for a league leading 109.5 passer rating over that period. Yeah, I think he has performed on an elite level.

I guess I`m just a fan who has never been a statistic kind of a guy (well documented). I respect you and your knowledge, I think you know that hopefully, but four losses, and the last three victories is all that matters where Packer football means.( To me anyway.)
I`m genuinely pleased we are starting to look like the Packers we know and love.

H

HardRightEdge

At this stage of the season my vote would go to Stafford. The comebacks, no more Megatraon, no running game to speak of, a mediocre defense. I wouldn't vote for Brady on principle with him having missed 4 games.

There's 3 games to go. If the Packers can run the table and make the playoffs, Rodgers should certainly be in the conversation given the impediments of a lousy run game and poor receiver performance for a large stretch of the season.

Hope springs eternal until the fat lady sings, but the odds are not good.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as his play I would think he deserves to be in the conversation...

But as far as reality I don't see it happening, I think people would vote for Le'Veon Bell, Brady, Stafford, Ryan first.

All have better records than the Packers currently. All top tier players. All getting more national recognition than Rodgers. I think Rodgers would have to go off like Wilson did late last year to get in the conversation. Finish it up with a 4 or 5 touchdown performance against Stafford.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
U were a smart *** for no real reason..
Not gonna get into a urinating contest with you. Seems like you are making a bigger deal of this than needs to be made. My apologies for how you interpreted my remarks. I'll try to frame my responses better in the future. How's that?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The final 3 weeks of the season, as well as how far the Packers go after that, could vault AR right into another MVP. But it would possibly take a deep run and even a SB for him to vault ahead of everyone else currently ahead of him. I doubt Elliott, Prescott or the entire Dallas Oline will be in the final conversation for MVP, they tend to cancel each other out IMO. The MVP represents which player is the most valuable to his team, all 3 of those parts of the Dallas offense are valuable, but as a whole, more then individually. Players like Ryan, Stafford and Rodgers are more likely to be considered complete difference makers for their teams success. How would that team do without that player? While a player doesn't have to be on a SuperBowl team to win the MVP, I think the more successful his team is helps and in Rodgers case, would probably be necessary to make up for the first half of the season that saw him struggle.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
His team going 3-1 without him should eliminate him from consideration IMO.
Not sure it eliminates him, but it does show that the Patriots could win without him. Not so sure that would be the same for the Lions (Stafford), Falcons (Ryan) and most definitely Packers (Rodgers).

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His team going 3-1 without him should eliminate him from consideration IMO.

Has gone 8-1 since with 22 TD's and 2 INTs in 9 games... More TDs than Dak, and tied with Stafford (in 9 games remember) and a better TD/INT ratio than anyone. Not saying he's the clear cut the favorite, but i think he's gotta be in the conversation, especially if AR is after not showing up for a quarter of the season.

H

HardRightEdge

Dont think you can write off Brady just yet either, despite missing the first 4 games.
I don't write him off. I just wouldn't vote for him. Lack of availability for 1/4 of the season is a disqualifier in my book.

Members online

Latest posts