The case that Aaron Rodgers is playing himself into the MVP conversation

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People on NE sports radio have Brady as a shoe-in and no one else comes close to the best player of all time. Seriously.

Asking NE fans about Brady is utterly useless. Nobody can touch Brady in their minds. Just surf their boards and see what happens every time Rodgers has a great game or receives a lot of praise, they diss him. You should read the crap they write about Rodgers when someone dares to call him the best in the game. They go ballistic.

D

Deleted member 6794

Rodgers is our quarterback. Whether he is the front runner or not, I certainly hope that he wins the award.

While it would be nice for Rodgers to win his third MVP award I don't care about anything else than the Vince Lombardi Trophy. In my opinion he didn't play well enough early this season to win it.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
That attitude is how he gets denied.

I'm not sure what you are referring to with attitude.
The attitude I was referring to is the opinions of the voters. Rodger's is expected to be good. He has a few MVP pelts. Who else is in the conversation that is a league leader, had a career year, and should be recognized for it? As said before Matt Ryan. What else does he need to do to win it? Matt Stafford if the Lions get the #2 seed? Bell could not be denied last night. Any of those could "steal" it IMO.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While it would be nice for Rodgers to win his third MVP award I don't care about anything else than the Vince Lombardi Trophy. In my opinion he didn't play well enough early this season to win it.

I agree. That is why I think Ryan should win. Rodgers struggled early. Brady muss one quarter of the season. Bell missed 3 games. Johnson should be up there but his team will hold him back. Dak has come back to earth. Elliot should be up there as well. I can see why Rodgers is in the mix bc there are no other standouts but Ryan has been better in almost every stat

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
There was a comment similar to this a week or two ago that got me in trouble when I responded to it, so I'm just going to very carefully ask you this simple question: Who doesn't? Who would honestly care about an MVP over a Super Bowl? I don't think that anyone is making that claim.

Super Bowls are obviously the #1 goal. But I also get extremely excited to see a guy like HHCD get named to the Pro Bowl. Or TJ Lang. I'm going to be tickled to death if Jordy indeed gets comeback player of the year.

I want to win another SB, but individual honors mean a lot to these guys. And it means a lot to me to see them get recognized for outstanding individual accomplishment. And if they can put it all together into a team method to achieve the highest prize, I don't think you would find anyone complaining about that.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The attitude I was referring to is the opinions of the voters. Rodger's is expected to be good. He has a few MVP pelts. Who else is in the conversation that is a league leader, had a career year, and should be recognized for it? As said before Matt Ryan. What else does he need to do to win it? Matt Stafford if the Lions get the #2 seed? Bell could not be denied last night. Any of those could "steal" it IMO.
I'm with you now. And yes, I do agree that could be a big part of the thought process.

A lot of guys have had great years, without question.

D

Deleted member 6794

There was a comment similar to this a week or two ago that got me in trouble when I responded to it, so I'm just going to very carefully ask you this simple question: Who doesn't? Who would honestly care about an MVP over a Super Bowl? I don't think that anyone is making that claim.

Super Bowls are obviously the #1 goal. But I also get extremely excited to see a guy like HHCD get named to the Pro Bowl. Or TJ Lang. I'm going to be tickled to death if Jordy indeed gets comeback player of the year.

I want to win another SB, but individual honors mean a lot to these guys. And it means a lot to me to see them get recognized for outstanding individual accomplishment. And if they can put it all together into a team method to achieve the highest prize, I don't think you would find anyone complaining about that.

Kudos to you about getting excited about it but I don't care that much about individual honors.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I care about them to the extent that it means the player is considered really good and there is at least that one position that doesn't need to be upgraded any time soon.

Except in the case of Lang, who the Packers will need to decide if they can resign him. ;)

Guessing his Pro Bowl tag drove his asking price up a bit.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I care about them to the extent that it means the player is considered really good and there is at least that one position that doesn't need to be upgraded any time soon.

Barring injury and a contract year but, sure, better award-winners than not.

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
Since they use the word "valuable" I have to ask. How many draft picks would you trade for RB Elliott? One? How many draft picks would you trade for QB Rodgers? Three first rounders?

Rodgers has 4,128 yards passing, 40 TD's (36 passing, 4 rushing). Elliott has about 1,900 rushing+receiving, 14 TD's.

Just don't see how any RB can be considered more valuable than the top QB's.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Except in the case of Lang, who the Packers will need to decide if they can resign him. ;)

Guessing his Pro Bowl tag drove his asking price up a bit.
I hope I'm wrong, but I have a feeling that Lang was on the scratch list for next season even before he made the pro bowl.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rogers has come on strong but played like crap early in the year. The people touting him for another MVP are the same people who thought Leroy Butler might get in the HOF. Rogers will probably (certainly) finish in the top 5 voting but he doesnt deserve to be there this year.....thus far. Go on a run to the Super Bowl and its a different story, but thats after the voting.

childerm

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless AR plays the game of the generation next week and throws for 500+ yards with 5+ TDs then I don't see him winning it. IMO he will most likely finish 2nd behind Matt Ryan. Matty Ice has had too good of a year and AR played too average the beginning of the season to warrant AR getting the award over him. Now I can possibly see AR win NFC Offensive Player of the Year.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since they use the word "valuable" I have to ask. How many draft picks would you trade for RB Elliott? One? How many draft picks would you trade for QB Rodgers? Three first rounders?

Rodgers has 4,128 yards passing, 40 TD's (36 passing, 4 rushing). Elliott has about 1,900 rushing+receiving, 14 TD's.

Just don't see how any RB can be considered more valuable than the top QB's.

Rodgers 628 touches, 4450 yds and 40 TDs to 11 turnovers.
Elliott 353 touches. 1993 yards and 16 TDs. 1 turnover (on 5 fumbles)
Ryan 531 touches. 4728 yds only 34 TDs. 10 turnovers
Johnson 365 touches 2074 yds 20 TDs 3 turnovers (on 5 fumbles)

Dirty Sanchez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I`m just a fan who has never been a statistic kind of a guy (well documented). I respect you and your knowledge, I think you know that hopefully, but four losses, and the last three victories is all that matters where Packer football means.( To me anyway.)
I`m genuinely pleased we are starting to look like the Packers we know and love.
Bill,
I for one, tend to show my favoritism for the Packers, I think most of us probably all do to different levels. I would say that Rodgers is piquing at the right time as well as Jordy.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
While I think AR is currently playing at an MVP level, I can't help but think that the first half of the season and the media attention of how poorly he and the Packers offense were playing, will keep him from winning it.

Dirty Sanchez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I think AR is currently playing at an MVP level, I can't help but think that the first half of the season and the media attention of how poorly he and the Packers offense were playing, will keep him from winning it.
Thats very possible PB. Unless they view it as "a great turn around" due to his talent and abilities. Who knows what they are going think. Let's win the next one and continue this conversation at that time. The message will become clearer as we move deeper into the playoffs.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Thats very possible PB. Unless they view it as "a great turn around" due to his talent and abilities. Who knows what they are going think. Let's win the next one and continue this conversation at that time. The message will become clearer as we move deeper into the playoffs.

Agreed. I for one and maybe AR himself would trade an MVP for 5 more wins.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and probably should

Latest posts