The Beer Sport

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
This might be an explanation :roflmao:
Its simply a strange hill tribe down there in the south of this country...;)

We Frankonians stay out of that battle and just keep to ourselves and drink the best bier in Germany, which happens to be in Frankonia. :D

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Any Wurtembergers here ? I`ve always had a soft spot for Wurtemberg :whistling:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any Wurtembergers here ? I`ve always had a soft spot for Wurtemberg :whistling:
I thought so....Lemberger, Trollinger, Rivaner :rolleyes::D
Thanks to my company ( :rolleyes: ) I've lived in Stuttgart for almost three years but always travelled home back to Hamburg on weekends. However, had many opportunities to try some of the local wines and liked Lemberger with Trollinger best. But what's even better than wine is their food, it might be the best in Germany. But their accent is among the worst of this country :D

I

I thought so....Lemberger, Trollinger, Rivaner :rolleyes::D
Thanks to my company ( :rolleyes: ) I've lived in Stuttgart for almost three years but always travelled home back to Hamburg on weekends. However, had many opportunities to try some of the local wines and liked Lemberger with Trollinger best. But what's even better than wine is their food, it might be the best in Germany. But their accent is among the worst of this country :D

Germans have accents ??? I honestly never realised that.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
The Bavarian girl sounds and spells a lot like the Pennsylvania Dutch here in Lancaster. Hmmm. I wonder if there is a connection.

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Of course we have accents ;)
Especially people from Bavaria, Baden-Wurttemberg or Saxony very often have strong accents.
This is a nice example: :)
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Dahoam? What kind of German is that??? That's worse than Swabisch.

I

Of course we have accents ;)
Especially people from Bavaria, Baden-Wurttemberg or Saxony very often have strong accents.
This is a nice example: :)

I should have said it differently. The example you gave almost sounds like two different languages completely. I meant no offence. Would they have difficulty understanding each other ?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
O.K. guys, has been a busy day so far, time to reward myself with these nice beverages:

Maisel Weisse. I first tried that beer in 1996. Quite enjoyable.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I should have said it differently. The example you gave almost sounds like two different languages completely. I meant no offence. Would they have difficulty understanding each other ?
Can be difficult to understand from time to time but personally I understand the Bavarian accent quite good.
And most of us speak "High German" as well. ;)
But I think it might not be any different if a Brit from the south meets somebody from Manchester or a Scot ? Isn't it ?
Dont they have different accents too ?

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Can be difficult to understand from time to time but personally I understand the Bavarian accent quite good.
But I think it might not be any different if a Brit from the south meets somebody from Manchester or a Scot ? Isn't it ?

Even in the U.S. it is hard for someone from my neck of the woods to understand everything someone from the deep south says.

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score

You seem to understand the Koeln dialect rather well as you translated a t-shirt I bought that my translator couldn't translate.

The USA has many accents, and although I can understand them, I don't like some of them. I think they sound silly or downright stupid.

We have:
New York accents: Lame attempt at sounding cool
Boston accents: Hoity Toity FuFu language
Carolina accents: Similar to Southern Accent, but yet different
Southern Accents:
Texas Drawl: Hate it
Hillbilly accents: No need to explain :D
Minnesota accents: Not a bad accent (similar to Canucks)
Croak mentioned the Pennsylvania accent
California accent: The best! :D

There's more... but these are the main ones.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nessie, can you read this and is it similar to Bavarian? https://hiwwewiedriwwe.wordpress.com/
Yes, I can read this but this has nothing to do with Bavarian. There are some words in there that make me sure that this "German" has its origin in Hessen (thats the Frankfurt area where I was born) or Rheinland-Pfalz (Mainz for example).
The word "schwetzen" (means talking) is typical for this area and there are many other words too.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
You seem to understand the Koeln dialect rather well as you translated a t-shirt I bought that my translator couldn't translate.

The USA has many accents, and although I can understand them, I don't like some of them. I think they sound silly or downright stupid.

We have:
New York accents: Lame attempt at sounding cool
Boston accents: Hoity Toity FuFu language
Carolina accents: Similar to Southern Accent, but yet different
Southern Accents:
Texas Drawl: Hate it
Hillbilly accents: No need to explain :D
Minnesota accents: Not a bad accent (similar to Canucks)
Croak mentioned the Pennsylvania accent
California accent: The best! :D

There's more... but these are the main ones.
Thats very interesting ! So you guys can also tell by the accent where people are from?
The worst accent in Germany by far is spoken by people from Saxony. :D

I

Where I come from (not Wales !), we have a very high brow Queens English accent :D. Pip pip and all that, don't ya know ?

Members online