The Beer Sport

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
RAF Types spoke like that during the "unfortunate incident" in the 1940's

I wasn't alive in the 1940's. Royal Air Force?

Is this what it means?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

If you guys spoke regular English than we could all understand. Is it that hard to speak regular English??? ;):laugh::p:D

Even Nessie can understand regular English. :eek::D:p This Pip Pip stuff is for the birds.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can be difficult to understand from time to time but personally I understand the Bavarian accent quite good.
And most of us speak "High German" as well. ;)
But I think it might not be any different if a Brit from the south meets somebody from Manchester or a Scot ? Isn't it ?
Dont they have different accents too ?

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...=jglqVrPljFGxl8utg487FQ&bvm=bv.92885102,d.d24

hopefully this link will work for you guys. even us scots don't just have one accent. but on top of that, where i am from in the north east, we have our very own dialect called doric, the link should take you to a pdf dictionary made by a local university. i sometimes speak like this in texts/e-mail/facebook, it seriously confuses my englander friends

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Nessie, in Pennsylvania alone there are strong dialects/accents. You can tell what part of PA a person is from by listening to them carefully. They even use different words to mean the same thing in our great commonwealth of PA. For instance, if you are from central PA, a soft drink is called a soda. In Pittsburgh, it's a pop. In Philly it's a coke (regardless of the brand). There are even different inflections, expressions and vocal sounds from the various areas. Of course PA and Virginia combined would geographically almost equal the size of Germany.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCIQFjAA&url=http://www.rgu.ac.uk/file/doric-dictionary&ei=QaBQVeecNcfkUZrqgLgF&usg=AFQjCNFnaz6L8wXQF2lPTJirAavcSiWsxw&sig2=jglqVrPljFGxl8utg487FQ&bvm=bv.92885102,d.d24

hopefully this link will work for you guys. even us scots don't just have one accent. but on top of that, where i am from in the north east, we have our very own dialect called doric, the link should take you to a pdf dictionary made by a local university. i sometimes speak like this in texts/e-mail/facebook, it seriously confuses my englander friends

Thats very interesting, thanks for sharing. :) :tup:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nessie, in Pennsylvania alone there are strong dialects/accents. You can tell what part of PA a person is from by listening to them carefully. They even use different words to mean the same thing in our great commonwealth of PA. For instance, if you are from central PA, a soft drink is called a soda. In Pittsburgh, it's a pop. In Philly it's a coke (regardless of the brand). There are even different inflections, expressions and vocal sounds from the various areas. Of course PA and Virginia combined would geographically almost equal the size of Germany.
The soda/pop thing confuses me a little but I never had any problems to get what I wanted. :D
Found this map quite interesting:
http://popvssoda.com:2998/
Using coke regardless of the brand is something we have here with paper handkerchiefs. Most people say "Tempo", like the brand. Or "Aspirin" for headache pills, "Selters" for mineral water.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Btw: Last weekend a new liquor store opened. As I am living in a small village just outside Hamburg I was surprised to find a decent choice of Ciders.
I bought Bulmers and Magners and I wonder what you guys think is the better one, Bulmers or Magners ? They also had Pear Cider ! :eek::D

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The soda/pop thing confuses me a little but I never had any problems to get what I wanted. :D
Found this map quite interesting:
http://popvssoda.com:2998/
Using coke regardless of the brand is something we have here with paper handkerchiefs. Most people say "Tempo", like the brand. Or "Aspirin" for headache pills, "Selters" for mineral water.

in scotland, genereally fizzy soft-drinks are generically "lemonade", but there are some local differences where called things like "ginger", englandshire generally us epop as far as i'm aware

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Btw: Last weekend a new liquor store opened. As I am living in a small village just outside Hamburg I was surprised to find a decent choice of Ciders.
I bought Bulmers and Magners and I wonder what you guys think is the better one, Bulmers or Magners ? They also had Pear Cider ! :eek::D
i would say magners is better, bulmers just doesn't quite cut it for my liking

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score

Out here in the West, we call all soft drinks a "coke". They someone will ask you "what flavor". Then you can answer "Dr Pepper". Strange maybe, but we've been saying it for decades.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

If you can get MERRYDOWN CIDER, I`d seriously recommend THAT brand. It`s strong and VERY tasty.

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score

Citra *** Down, a damn good IPA.
Alesmith Speedway - Gold medal winning Coffee Imperial Stout

Wolf Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Southbank, Molineux, Wolverhampton, England
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCIQFjAA&url=http://www.rgu.ac.uk/file/doric-dictionary&ei=QaBQVeecNcfkUZrqgLgF&usg=AFQjCNFnaz6L8wXQF2lPTJirAavcSiWsxw&sig2=jglqVrPljFGxl8utg487FQ&bvm=bv.92885102,d.d24

I think we'd have a nightmare understanding each other if we spoke in our regional accents. Just stumbled across this link of a translation dictionary for people outside of the 'Black Country'.

http://www.sedgleymanor.com/dictionaries/dialect.html

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I

Definately not one I'd try again

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Btw - having this one at the moment, definitely a strong recommendation ;)

I

Hmmm...could you be mor specific Bill? What exactly didn't you like? :cautious:;)

There is a slightly odd aftertaste Nessie. Because the alchohol % is only 3.6 it hasn't got the pleasant bitter after glow you get from a good bitter. I've had worse, but definately had better. It reminds me of one of those alchohol free beers to be honest.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a slightly odd aftertaste Nessie. Because the alchohol % is only 3.6 it hasn't got the pleasant bitter after glow you get from a good bitter. I've had worse, but definately had better. It reminds me of one of those alchohol free beers to be honest.
Oha, I have a idea what you are meaning Bill.
The aftertaste of a non-alcoholic beer is terrible. :tdown:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts