The Beer Sport

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oooh, that looks interesting. Didnt know Tomintoul before you posted the picture. Very decent reviews, havent seen it in stores over here.
And thats my "digistif" tonight:

And know let's look what kind of beer my fridge has to offer..... ;)

yep, Tomintoul has 10/16/21&33 yr old expressions, and also a vintage 36(ish) year expresion. my uncle works there so i can get a nice discount on a bottle(up to about 40%).

that Macallan looks interesting, though i kind of went off Macallan a while ago as it started giving me heartburn, still have a bottle of 10yr old in the cupboard will have to have a dram soon

can you explain "digistif", I know a bit of German but thats not in my vocabulary

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
yep, Tomintoul has 10/16/21&33 yr old expressions, and also a vintage 36(ish) year expresion. my uncle works there so i can get a nice discount on a bottle(up to about 40%).

that Macallan looks interesting, though i kind of went off Macallan a while ago as it started giving me heartburn, still have a bottle of 10yr old in the cupboard will have to have a dram soon

can you explain "digistif", I know a bit of German but thats not in my vocabulary
Just found out that my favourite online Whisky store provides an impressing choice of Tomintoul whiskys. :eek:
http://www.whisky.de/shop/index.php?cl=search&searchparam=tomintoul
The Port Wood 12 and especially Peaty Tang sound intersting, I might be tempted to try one of these with my next order. Unfortunately without 40 % discount. :rolleyes::D
I think the Macallans are all very decent, got his bottle as a present. Had a Macallan Sherryoak 12 a couple years ago, was roundabout 35 Euros and I emptied the bottle. They are now selling the bottle for roundabout 95 Euros, isnt this crazy ? However, enjoyed it anyway :D
Actually "digistif" is french and means "after meal drink", just the opposite of "aperitif", the drink before dinner.
Both are commonly used here in Germany, hope I could clear this up the confusion.....:oops:
A German word for it could be "Verdauungsschnaps" :rolleyes::D

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Right now, because of high deductible payments sponsored by Obamacare, I'm reduced to drinking Yuengling and Old Crow. But at least I can still drink until they tax me out of that.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Right now, because of high deductible payments sponsored by Obamacare, I'm reduced to drinking Yuengling and Old Crow. But at least I can still drink until they tax me out of that.

Should we send beer parcels through the red cross ???

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
deductible payments for Obamacare ? That means they take off a certain amount of your income for your health insurance, do I get it right ? Is this how it works ?

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
deductible payments for Obamacare ? That means they take off a certain amount of your income for your health insurance, do I get it right ? Is this how it works ?

I am on Social Security disability income so my insurance is the government sponsored Medicare. But my wife who works as an office manager to basically pay our rent has to have her own insurance now by law. Her employer is legally bound now to provide it. So, because he is a small business man, he couldn't afford expensive insurance for all of his employees. Therefore, he got them insurance which doesn't pay for any medical expenses until those expenses reach $2,500.oo . This is called a deductible. We have to pay out $2,500 in expenses before her insurance will cover the cost of her care. In addition to this, her boss bought cheap insurance and they only cover care provided by certain doctors. My wife went into the hospital two weekends in a row through the emergency system via ambulance. Many of the Doctors who saw her were not "in network" for the insurance company so the insurance company will not pay for coverage from them. It's a horrible system. It was supposed to help the middle class, but I think it only helped the insurance companies. I have a pile of bills now that I'm trying to sort through and make arrangements for payment plans. Now my wife is no longer working to pay our rent, she is working to pay our medical bills.

And we were almost completely debt free before this all happened. But at least I still have my wife around. :tup:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am on Social Security disability income so my insurance is the government sponsored Medicare. But my wife who works as an office manager to basically pay our rent has to have her own insurance now by law. Her employer is legally bound now to provide it. So, because he is a small business man, he couldn't afford expensive insurance for all of his employees. Therefore, he got them insurance which doesn't pay for any medical expenses until those expenses reach $2,500.oo . This is called a deductible. We have to pay out $2,500 in expenses before her insurance will cover the cost of her care. In addition to this, her boss bought cheap insurance and they only cover care provided by certain doctors. My wife went into the hospital two weekends in a row through the emergency system via ambulance. Many of the Doctors who saw her were not "in network" for the insurance company so the insurance company will not pay for coverage from them. It's a horrible system. It was supposed to help the middle class, but I think it only helped the insurance companies. I have a pile of bills now that I'm trying to sort through and make arrangements for payment plans. Now my wife is no longer working to pay our rent, she is working to pay our medical bills.

And we were almost completely debt free before this all happened. But at least I still have my wife around. :tup:
Sorry for beeing off-topic guys and thanks to Croak for explaining. I was just interested to learn how it works.
Not that much different from what happens to people over here when they are getting older, especially if they are insured by a private health insurance. Like you most of them need to pay a certain amount before the health insurance pays to reduce the monthly rate.
Luckily I resisted to be insured by a private company and sticked with the statutory health insurance although I had and still have the chance to switch.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Sorry for beeing off-topic guys and thanks to Croak for explaining. I was just interested to learn how it works.
Not that much different from what happens to people over here when they are getting older, especially if they are insured by a private health insurance. Like you most of them need to pay a certain amount before the health insurance pays to reduce the monthly rate.
Luckily I resisted to be insured by a private company and sticked with the statutory health insurance although I had and still have the chance to switch.

Off topic not a problem. We can bring it back on topic; I wonder what kind of health insurance the recently angry Doctor from FCB honors. :eek:

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Somebody should change the threads name to "The Alcohol Appreciation Thread" or "Alcoholics Appreciated" or something like that. This is more than just beer...

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who here appreciates wine? What do you prefer, Red, white or sparkling?

I'm partial to red myself. Sometimes, back home I would put on some good music, open a book and go through the whole bottle.

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Somebody should change the threads name to "The Alcohol Appreciation Thread" or "Alcoholics Appreciated" or something like that. This is more than just beer...

Beer Sport is legendary sir. But us fancy beer drinkers have no problem with this thread incorporating Wine, Ciders, Spirits. I also fancy some rums, vodkas, bourbons, Ouzo's, Grappa's, Schnapps, Aquavit's... etc. But beer trumps all. :D

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score

I'm partial to red myself. Sometimes, back home I would put on some good music, open a book and go through the whole bottle.

I'm not big on wine, but when I do, I drink Rieslings, preferably the dryer side as most Rieslings are semi-sweet. I will also have a Pinot Grigio from time to time as well.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score

I drink Merlot or Pinot every day on my Doctor's orders. He is also in favor of Beer for my condition; all in moderation of course. (Unless Bayern wins during the week or weekend. ;):whistling:)

I

I drink Merlot or Pinot every day on my Doctor's orders. He is also in favor of Beer for my condition; all in moderation of course. (Unless Bayern wins during the week or weekend. ;):whistling:)

Are you sure it`s your doctor you`re talking to ???, not just some guy in a white coat ?

I

I went to a cracking little micro pub last night in Lichfield. Only been open for a year and already they`ve served 148 different beers. Well worth a visit Nessie ;).

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I went to a cracking little micro pub last night in Lichfield. Only been open for a year and already they`ve served 148 different beers. Well worth a visit Nessie ;).
148 ? :eek: I'm impressed ! :tup:
Why dont we have something like this here in Hamburg ? :rolleyes:
Whats the name of the pub Bill ?

Members online

Latest posts