The Beer Sport

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wheat beer with banana juice??? That's sounds almost as bad as the God awful tuna fish pizza we had for the first time in Berlin.
Tastes better than one might think but wouldnt drink a "Bananen-Weizen" nowadays and I havent seen this on a beverage menu for a while

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did find the Talisker a bit too harsh for my taste.
Any other Whisky with a slightly, smoky flavour that you could recommend, Bill?
The Highland Park has a very little, I'd like to try one with a little more taste of smoke. But as you can see from my selection of Whisky that I posted I'm usually not a drinker of islay malts.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Any other Whisky with a slightly, smoky flavour that you could recommend, Bill?
The Highland Park has a very little, I'd like to try one with a little more taste of smoke. But as you can see from my selection of Whisky that I posted I'm usually not a drinker of islay malts.

I`ll try and find out what I bought for my brother 12 years ago (I can`t remember) that was peaty, but much more palatable I DO remember.

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
Sandolf might know it, but anybody else here that knows "Toast Hawai"? Very popular at the end of the seventies and beginning of the 80's. Might have been a german, temporary "food fad"

haha... Toast Hawaii. That brings back lots of memories. I found the best way to deal with it was to dump a good bit of hot sauce on it.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
haha... Toast Hawaii. That brings back lots of memories. I found the best way to deal with it was to dump a good bit of hot sauce on it.
Funny that you remember these typical 70's/80's style gourmet experiences. :tup::D
Btw, how is your rehab going?

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow! You've got a collection. How far is Scotland from PA? I'll be right over to help relieve you of some of the weight of those bottles on your beautiful cupboard. ;)
3371 miles, give or take a few, plus you get the joy of flying through either England or Glasgow, eww

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Impressive, cant post a picture from where I am at the moment but to name a few:

Glenlivet 18
Highland Park 12
Jameson Gold
Aberfeldy 12
Macallan Amber
and Drambui.....

I'd like to try Talisker too but I wonder if its not too smoky for me ?
I did have a Glenlivet 18yo, but that has long since been enjoyed. I bought it years ago when I was 20 at most, but didn't open it til my bairn was born, needless to say it didn't last very long after that. i think i said before, but my mums side of family is from Glenlivet, and my Grandad worked at the Glenlivet for many years.

interesting list, also Drambui is ok, but not a huge fan of whisky liqueurs in general

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
Funny that you remember these typical 70's/80's style gourmet experiences. :tup::D
Btw, how is your rehab going?

Thanks for asking. I have an appointment with the cardiologist this afternoon. I'll know more in a few hours.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
So when I was at the store today, I thought to myself; "Self. I think I'll try some of that Talisker they were writing about on our thread." Then I saw it; $60 for 750 ml!! :eek: When did they distill it? During the days of William Wallace? So I settled for a bottle of Jameson at one third the cost. You guys are way out of my league budget wise.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did have a Glenlivet 18yo, but that has long since been enjoyed. I bought it years ago when I was 20 at most, but didn't open it til my bairn was born, needless to say it didn't last very long after that. i think i said before, but my mums side of family is from Glenlivet, and my Grandad worked at the Glenlivet for many years.

interesting list, also Drambui is ok, but not a huge fan of whisky liqueurs in general
Never heard of whisky stones before that you mentioned in another post, I wonder where I can buy them? Drambui or any other whisky liqueurs are a matter of taste, no doubt about it. OK for me, dont need to have it very often but my wife loves it.
The Glenlivet 18 is indeed a exceptional good whisky, but I think I'd like to try the Glenlivet 15 "French Oak" next time.
Anybody here tried a Bourbon? I must admit not my cup of tea.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
So when I was at the store today, I thought to myself; "Self. I think I'll try some of that Talisker they were writing about on our thread." Then I saw it; $60 for 750 ml!! :eek: When did they distill it? During the days of William Wallace? So I settled for a bottle of Jameson at one third the cost. You guys are way out of my league budget wise.
:D Yeah, some Whiskies have prices that are crazy. I saw some special editions at the LHR airport last week that were 300 GBP and up, also out of my league.
There Is no doubt that the Jameson is a solid whisky but I'm pretty sure that you would taste the difference of the quality immediately if you'd try a Tallisker, Glenlivet, Jameson Gold or a Balvenie. But you dont need to spend 60 USD to get a decent whisky in case you'd like to try something different. Glenmorangie 10 or even Glenfiddich 12 are very good options that shouldnt cost more than 30 to 35 USD ? On other hand, if you love the Jameson stick with it. We all have our favourites :)

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Never heard of whisky stones before that you mentioned in another post, I wonder where I can buy them? Drambui or any other whisky liqueurs are a matter of taste, no doubt about it. OK for me, dont need to have it very often but my wife loves it.
The Glenlivet 18 is indeed a exceptional good whisky, but I think I'd like to try the Glenlivet 15 "French Oak" next time.

Believe it or not, before I went into the ministry I was a Manager at McDonald's Inc. When I trained at Hamburger U in Cherry Hill, NJ, the trainer took us all out for Drambui. I never heard of it before then. It was really nice, but I was young and got good and plastered like the rest of the class. LOL

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score

I really like Bourbon. Makers mark and Pappy Van Winkle (hard to find) are really good Bourbon's. Even in Kentucky/Tennessee area its popular to mix it with ginger ale, and I admit I like that combination. But, too each his own.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i don't think i really buy any whisky nowadays. if people can't think of a gift at christmas or birthday time I invariable get another bottle to add to the collection due to lack of imagination. i'm lucky that my uncle still works in a distillery as i can get nice bottles at a cheap price(30-40% cheaper than shops).

in all honesty there's maybe not much point buying yourself a bottle that's that expensive, you need to find a pub that has a decent whisky selection and try a few drams, then you can make it worth buying a more expensive bottle.

$60 is just under £40GBP, which in all honesty isn't too bad for a good bottle of whisky, but i imagine you could get a decent enough bottle(glenlivet 12, macallan 10 etc...) for about $40US

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
just do a google search nessie

Whisky stones

most are made from soapstone, but you can also get Granite ones, which being from the Granite city myself is very appealing. i once paid £12gbp for a dram of Tomintoul 33yr old, it was worth it

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
just do a google search nessie

Whisky stones

most are made from soapstone, but you can also get Granite ones, which being from the Granite city myself is very appealing. i once paid £12gbp for a dram of Tomintoul 33yr old, it was worth it

I once paid $30 for a gentleman's dram of Pappy Van Winkle 23 year.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The most expensive drink I had was in London. Paid about 80 quid for a limited edition Scottish Ale hand crafted and only about 1000 bottles made every year, they said.

Well, it was 1000 bottles too much, I found out. Absolute *****, it was. I even tried asking money back without success. Angry enough to make me sober, that I had start over getting sauced all over again. Hand crafted, my *** . Bottle of ****.

I

The most expensive drink I had was in London. Paid about 80 quid for a limited edition Scottish Ale hand crafted and only about 1000 bottles made every year, they said.

Well, it was 1000 bottles too much, I found out. Absolute *****, it was. I even tried asking money back without success. Angry enough to make me sober, that I had start over getting sauced all over again. Hand crafted, my *** . Bottle of ****.

Wanna buy a bridge ?? :rolleyes:

I

They do sell it as a miniature too. P.M. me. or not, whatever.

Last edited by a moderator: