The 2015 draft class, so far.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The irony is thick in this one LOL

That's also not what irony is...

Perhaps you could make the point that I am hypocritical since I felt it necessary to defend myself AFTER being accused that my posting habits have something to do with my knowledge.

But it is easily searched just a couple posts up that you once again tried to take something about football, and argue that you are right because my post habits prove I only write when the Packers lose. Thus are invalid lol

Which is not only wrong, but served no purpose to the thread. But better luck next time :)

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for agreeing...there's nothing wrong with getting the QB some help. We looked fine against Seattle without Chancellor, but Seattle made many mistakes that game. We need to be able to beat them when they are playing their best game. And the offense looked awful against the defenses of Denver and Carolina.

As good as Brady is, it's clear he's on a completely different level with Gronk on the field. He went from being a guy who should hang up his cleats to throwing 4 TDs in the Super Bowl last year once Gronk was healthy. As good as defenses are now, I think the team needs more help.

Np, I call it like I see it :)

I don't think they were too bad versus Carolina, Denver though for sure.

For me I think it's the same problem we had at running back for so many years. Let's put 4-7th round picks in there and watch them fail for year. Finally they spend an early round on running back and he seems to be doing well. I'd like to see that from receiver, but I understand its a steep price as well.

Im just suggesting that a STUD at receiver "may" solve some of the issues the Packers are facing with this single-high press coverage. And that Jordy is no sure thing to be back to 100 percent. THough I think just his presence alone helps everyone else.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I've come to a point in someone's so called quest for "debate" and I feel I have to point out a literary use of irony by definition, I realize it is time to bow out.

The fact that I'd have to point it out, to the main character that can't see it, is the very definition of the word. It's too easy

Carry on

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I've come to a point in someone's so called quest for "debate" and I feel I have to point out a literary use of irony by definition, I realize it is time to bow out.

The fact that I'd have to point it out, to the main character that can't see it, is the very definition of the word. It's too easy

Carry on

You know you can leave a thread without a dramatic, once again un-related to football post.

Anyways...

What do others think about Jake Ryan? I feel like he could be an AJ Hawk type. Solid tackler, but lacks speed to go from sideline to sideline. And that his coverage skills may lack.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I love being a moderator......honestly

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know you can leave a thread without a dramatic, once again un-related to football post.

Anyways...

What do others think about Jake Ryan? I feel like he could be an AJ Hawk type. Solid tackler, but lacks speed to go from sideline to sideline. And that his coverage skills may lack.
This was the knock on him in his scouting report. He's got good size and straight-line speed, but his lateral quickness is lacking. I feel like he could be solid, hard-working, but nothing spectacular.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan tends to play high, leading to getting blown up or washed out of plays. Not too quick or fast. Smart, instinctive, high effort guy, but physical limitations will keep him from being a good starter.
IMO, a decent backup, nothing special. The search for 'the guy' at ILB should continue.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Patriotplayer90 you keep saying "we" are you a pats fan or a packers fan? I am confused.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan tends to play high, leading to getting blown up or washed out of plays. Not too quick or fast. Smart, instinctive, high effort guy, but physical limitations will keep him from being a good starter.
IMO, a decent backup, nothing special. The search for 'the guy' at ILB should continue.

Also am I the only one that wants Matthews out of the middle? Back to where he naturally plays. I feel like Peppers time is limited and soon we may have no edge rushers at all.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Also am I the only one that wants Matthews out of the middle? Back to where he naturally plays. I feel like Peppers time is limited and soon we may have no edge rushers at all.
I thought about this as well. But then I looked at how injury prone he was on the outside. Knock on wood, he has been healthy with the switch to inside. And Clay on the field healthy is more significant than Clay in the position he is natural at for half of the season.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Recently there was a discussion about Clay in the middle. TJV and others made good points about it not being too bad with him at ILB, but I lean more towards McGinn's take. He's here #1 to rush the QB. I'd prefer him outside mostly, with moving him around at times for matchups.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Recently there was a discussion about Clay in the middle. TJV and others made good points about it not being too bad with him at ILB, but I lean more towards McGinn's take. He's here #1 to rush the QB. I'd prefer him outside mostly, with moving him around at times for matchups.

Agreed, In fact i think it is wise to move him around especially now given his experience. But overall I think he is a difference maker on the outside and that is pretty rare in this league. Look how many years the packers have been looking for that other person.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matthews is a difference maker wherever he is on the field. Some players have that in their DNA.

I mostly agree about Ryan - a solid 4th round pick addressing a need. Nothing wrong with AJ Hawk as a compliment to an exceptional player. AJ Hawk in his prime would have been perfect next to Matthews. Ryan may be that guy next to Barrington next season, although Sam isn't exceptional. We'd lack speed with those two covering crossing routes.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matthews is a difference maker wherever he is on the field. Some players have that in their DNA.

I mostly agree about Ryan - a solid 4th round pick addressing a need. Nothing wrong with AJ Hawk as a compliment to an exceptional player. AJ Hawk in his prime would have been perfect next to Matthews. Ryan may be that guy next to Barrington next season, although Sam isn't exceptional. We'd lack speed with those two covering crossing routes.
LBs are pretty exceptional athletes. When I think of the top ones in the league, I'm thinking pretty high draft picks-Von Miller, Keuchley, the beasts in SF, Matthews, Mack, etc.- These guys hardly go under the radar. You'll see them slip in the draft sometimes, but the size/athleticism combo is rare and tough for scouts to ignore.

For this reason, I think rarely will you find a knockout starter at this position in the draft in the 4th round.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oddly enough I agree with this... The Packers have a known issue if facing 1 lockdown corner. Take Jordy out of games and it make it pretty miserable on the offense. Look at Seattle in the playoffs last year. Offense was horrible. Even a decent showing by them has GB in the super bowl.

I think the Packers need an actual game changer at wide receiver. Cobb has regressed some and has shown he can't be a number 1, Jones is slow, Adams i dont even have words for that kid right now, Abby has to stay healthy, Janis is a LOOOONG way from being a polished receiver.

Just because you have 20 receivers does mean they have talent. You look at the difference an ODB, Antonio Brown, Julio Jones makes in a game. We don't have that speed in a receiver that knows how to run a route. Watching ODB is incredibly. (Granted he may be the only man on earth that can do these things)

I agree that this team would look almost unbelievably better with a true #1 like Brown, Julio, Green, Dez or a TE like Gronk. Nobody should argue otherwise.

But the same could be said about plugging in say Joe Thomas at LT. How bout adding JJ Watt, Donald or Kuechly on D? Revis or Peterson at CB?

ANY team is going to exponentially better on either side of the ball if you add a guy who's one of the top two or 3 guys at their position.

There's only so many of those guys in the league so it's a pointless exercise to imagine what effect they would have. It's about featuring the guys you have that are part of that elite company and maximizing the production from the surrounding guys to draw "some" focus away from your elite players but wishing you had a #1 when the one you had got injured does no good. No duh it would help. I wish we had the pro bowl roster as our lineup too but other teams want to have good players also

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that this team would look almost unbelievably better with a true #1 like Brown, Julio, Green, Dez or a TE like Gronk. Nobody should argue otherwise.

But the same could be said about plugging in say Joe Thomas at LT. How bout adding JJ Watt, Donald or Kuechly on D? Revis or Peterson at CB?

ANY team is going to exponentially better on either side of the ball if you add a guy who's one of the top two or 3 guys at their position.

There's only so many of those guys in the league so it's a pointless exercise to imagine what effect they would have. It's about featuring the guys you have that are part of that elite company and maximizing the production from the surrounding guys to draw "some" focus away from your elite players but wishing you had a #1 when the one you had got injured does no good. No duh it would help. I wish we had the pro bowl roster as our lineup too but other teams want to have good players also
You have a point, but GB has shown that they don't need All Pro talent at receiver for that production; however, Thompson clearly saw Receiver as being a need in the 2014 draft, and he should have picked a better player.

We've exhausted the many receivers he should have chosen, including the receiver leading the league in TDs, and many of these could give Rodgers that go-to option he's searching for. But, alas, he misjudged, and now it could cost us the season.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score

While I understand the premise of your point I think you have exaggerated the point to a level that is a little far out there. I don't believe I ever suggested that the Packers should maintain a team of Pro Bowl caliber players.

I'm simply stating it is similar to the problem we had at running back for years... Using 4th 5th round and a smorgasbord of others to fill the spot until finally settling on someone with some know talent and upside.

It's obviously unfeasible to get a pro-bowl lineup all the way around. But maybe instead of adding 5 receivers that have little upside, drafting just in the first or second round of the coming years or even trading up for a game changer. One with the 4.4 speed, jumping ability wouldn't be a bad option.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

To your point I would actually argue that having a dominant player on the defensive side of the ball is far more important if the team has a terrific QB. A great QB can make everyone else on offense look better. There is no equivalent on defense. You can field a terrific offense with mediocre receivers, running backs and oline so long as the QB is elite. On defense, you can have the best defensive player in a generation (perhaps ever) in Watt and the defense still stinks. Kind of the reason that the Packers should (and do) tend to focus on defense a little more often in the higher draft rounds. When you have Rodgers throwing the ball, you don't need Amari Cooper to catch it.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To your point I would actually argue that having a dominant player on the defensive side of the ball is far more important if the team has a terrific QB. A great QB can make everyone else on offense look better. There is no equivalent on defense. You can field a terrific offense with mediocre receivers, running backs and oline so long as the QB is elite. On defense, you can have the best defensive player in a generation (perhaps ever) in Watt and the defense still stinks. Kind of the reason that the Packers should (and do) tend to focus on defense a little more often in the higher draft rounds. When you have Rodgers throwing the ball, you don't need Amari Cooper to catch it.

Have you seen the Packers offense this year?

Last edited:

Latest posts