The 2015 draft class, so far.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course TT makes bad picks. Look at his 2012 draft. Even mother nature makes mistakes. The walleye class of 2008 stunk on our lake!

Ripkowski was a great pick because Kuhn is at the end. Grooming players before they become desperate needs is the way. Anticipate, don't react.

Ron Wolf drafted A BUNCH of quarterbacks while Favre was in his prime. We learned during the last few years how important a solid backup is, and you never know when your HOF quarterback is going to get Joe Theisman-ed.
We have plenty of positions that are a bigger need than a backup QB or FB...the WRs, TE, and LB positions are really lacking in the athleticism department and/or experience. Those are vital positions, yet they weren't addressed for his anticipation of desperate needs.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have plenty of positions that are a bigger need than a backup QB or FB...the WRs, TE, and LB positions are really lacking in the athleticism department and/or experience. Those are vital positions, yet they weren't addressed for his anticipation of desperate needs.

The 3rd and 4th rounds picks don't count?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all.....are you serious. WR was a glaring need? Show me an article that said the Nelson, Cobb, Adams trio needed an upgrade.

I also don't think that you understand his drafting philosophy which leans more towards the best player available in a need. He hit the biggest needs when two of our top three CBs left town. You can't always use your successive picks to get needs if the players aren't still on the board. He still got Jake Ryan who appears to be starting caliber.

All positions are vital.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all.....are you serious. WR was a glaring need? Show me an article that said the Nelson, Cobb, Adams trio needed an upgrade.

I also don't think that you understand his drafting philosophy which leans more towards the best player available in a need. He hit the biggest needs when two of our top three CBs left town. You can't always use your successive picks to get needs if the players aren't still on the board. He still got Jake Ryan who appears to be starting caliber.

All positions are vital.
The receivers and offense sucked against great defenses. And there was no trio with the receivers, two of them accounted for like 78% of the receptions. So forgive me if I wasn't completely satisfied with the depth at that position.

And I disagree with Ryan proving anything. He's been in just a few games, and just having a place in the starting line-up is different than being a true difference maker. And being the former of the two isn't doing us any good, so I hope he can prove to be the latter.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The receivers and offense sucked against great defenses. And there was no trio with the receivers, two of them accounted for like 78% of the receptions. So forgive me if I wasn't completely satisfied with the depth at that position.

And I disagree with Ryan proving anything. He's been in just a few games, and just having a place in the starting line-up is different than being a true difference maker. And being the former of the two isn't doing us any good, so I hope he can prove to be the latter.

There is no way to justify at all that WR was a big need going into the draft. Besides, TT did take a WR in the 3rd round.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no way to justify at all that WR was a big need going into the draft. Besides, TT did take a WR in the 3rd round.
There were two proven receivers on our team, and neither proved that they could make a big difference against the Seattle and SF(at the time) defenses, and they had no proven TE nor a WR with a pulse beyond the 3rd receiver in a system that is supposed to be reliant upon having 4-5 out there at any given time.

And I wasn't crazy on Montgomery, though they need all the help they can get now. He has shown he is a smart, hard-working guy, but he had extremely suspect hands in college and isn't that fast, and we've seen enough of that this year.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
C'mon, we can't actually be questioning not taking MORE receivers in the draft, can we?

We had two Pro Bowl recievers, an up and coming 2nd rounder, took a Cobb clone in the 3rd, and STILL had 2 young guys with Abby and Janis who MM said he expected to take a big step this year. At some point, you run out of roster spots for all the WRs you want to load up on.

There isn't an analyst on earth that would have argued after the draft that we didn't have one of the deepest receiving corps in the NFL.

Reaction score
Yeah, similar story to p
M the Packers drafted that backup QB in 2005 when they still had Favre.
I think TT believed Brett should've been gone by middle of the 4th round with a chance to be drafted even sooner. We passed on him end of that round, because like you said yourself, we didn't need a QB that badly. When he was still available well into the 5th it became an economics decision. I think you have to look at needs at the short term, mid term and long term vision. In the short term we got a bargain at QB. We found out during the last couple of years how important it is to have options when your QB goes down. It wasn't long ago we had AR and Wallace on the sidelines injured with a rookie thrown into the fire. We got lucky that Flynn (our #4) was available or we would've missed the playoffs altogether IMO. I believe TT realized he made a dire mistake running with just 2 QBs on the roster the other year.
Hundley performed extremely well in college (75 TDs) and later NFL preseason (7 TD/1 INT) and that alone may very well earn him a shot competing for a starting position on another team one day soon. Players are like Dealing in the stock market... they get sold, traded, gain value, lose value, etc.. Developing a solid backup QB will pay dividends because that position is a commodity in the NFL marketplace (much like agriculture has trends of crests and troughs with certain crops from year to year there will one day soon be a thin crop).
Our risk (cost) was low in the short term and now we have 1 less need come the draft for the next several years so we can focus on other positional needs.
Hundley actually being under the tutelage of a system that had produced a multi MVP QB should in itself intrigue several teams down the road, so conceivably his stock should gradually rise even if his play was average. If he flourishes we hit the jackpot and trade him for a high price. It might play into a trade for another draft pick, player or even both with some luck. So far he's played worth his weight in gold and I'm excited to see Brett meet his potential.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
C'mon, we can't actually be questioning not taking MORE receivers in the draft, can we?

We had two Pro Bowl recievers, an up and coming 2nd rounder, took a Cobb clone in the 3rd, and STILL had 2 young guys with Abby and Janis who MM said he expected to take a big step this year. At some point, you run out of roster spots for all the WRs you want to load up on.

There isn't an analyst on earth that would have argued after the draft that we didn't have one of the deepest receiving corps in the NFL.
Exactly, in the months of April, May, June, July, August, EVERYONE was glowing about the Packers receivers being some of the best in the business and our offensive line being being a top 5 Line in the league. This year should serve as an example to everyone just how difficult this game can be, how quickly things can change and for all the "need" drafters, just how important it is to draft good players no matter the position because you just never know.

about the only peeps of weakness we heard were about a TE on offense, and some like myself recognized that LT could use an upgrade, but I didn't think it was an extremely pressing need because of our passing talent and the QB and his mobility and ability to feel pressure. LB's for defense and ?'s at DB with the loss of 2 of our higher profile players.

and here we sit with a pretty solid defense and an oline that can't keep it together and a bunch of guys with good hands that have been very suspect in that category all year.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly, in the months of April, May, June, July, August, EVERYONE was glowing about the Packers receivers being some of the best in the business and our offensive line being being a top 5 Line in the league. This year should serve as an example to everyone just how difficult this game can be, how quickly things can change and for all the "need" drafters, just how important it is to draft good players no matter the position because you just never know.

about the only peeps of weakness we heard were about a TE on offense, and some like myself recognized that LT could use an upgrade, but I didn't think it was an extremely pressing need because of our passing talent and the QB and his mobility and ability to feel pressure. LB's for defense and ?'s at DB with the loss of 2 of our higher profile players.

and here we sit with a pretty solid defense and an oline that can't keep it together and a bunch of guys with good hands that have been very suspect in that category all year.
To me, the WR corps is an example of the difference coaching makes. For the last bunch of years while Edgar Bennett was the WR coach, we had a pile of good WRs. We would debate this guy or that guy making the roster knowing we were cutting some guys who could be pretty good. Now, all the same players except for Jordy, and they look anemic. Jones is probably on the decline, but Adams, Cobb, Aberderiss, and Janis should have all gotten better. New addition of Ty Montgommery should have given them a boost as well.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If they were so good, why couldn't we ever do anything against Seattle? It's not like everyone forgot how to play football in those games, the receivers were just out matched by their secondary. They couldn't contain Gronk, nor Benjamin on Carolina, but they could contain ours. And I didn't really think a slow Adams or a bunch of young receivers who didn't see the light of day on the field were exactly going to help.

The fact is, if we want to go all the way each year, the team has to be designed to beat Seattle. If you are looking at how they performed against bad to average defenses, sure, they were some of the best. But that doesn't really matter much when you are sitting at home during the Super Bowl.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I do not understand how anyone is saying anything negative towards the 2015 draft class. This (so far) has been the best group of rookies consistent across the board. The Packers needed to upgrade their defense, and that's what they did. These kids are solid. To have 4 rookies you feel decent about not only getting playing time but starting is a pretty big deal in the NFL.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they were so good, why couldn't we ever do anything against Seattle? It's not like everyone forgot how to play football in those games, the receivers were just out matched by their secondary. They couldn't contain Gronk, nor Benjamin on Carolina, but they could contain ours. And I didn't really think a slow Adams or a bunch of young receivers who didn't see the light of day on the field were exactly going to help.

The fact is, if we want to go all the way each year, the team has to be designed to beat Seattle. If you are looking at how they performed against bad to average defenses, sure, they were some of the best. But that doesn't really matter much when you are sitting at home during the Super Bowl.
whatever man. Most offenses do not put up 500 yards and 50 points against the best defenses. It happens on occassion, but it doesn't happen with regularity. I'm as confident we'll beat Seattle again as I was in the beginning of the year and as much as I was at the end of last year. We put up 27 pts and 360 yds against them last time we played. What are you expecting????

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Oddly enough I agree with this... The Packers have a known issue if facing 1 lockdown corner. Take Jordy out of games and it make it pretty miserable on the offense. Look at Seattle in the playoffs last year. Offense was horrible. Even a decent showing by them has GB in the super bowl.

I think the Packers need an actual game changer at wide receiver. Cobb has regressed some and has shown he can't be a number 1, Jones is slow, Adams i dont even have words for that kid right now, Abby has to stay healthy, Janis is a LOOOONG way from being a polished receiver.

Just because you have 20 receivers does mean they have talent. You look at the difference an ODB, Antonio Brown, Julio Jones makes in a game. We don't have that speed in a receiver that knows how to run a route. Watching ODB is incredibly. (Granted he may be the only man on earth that can do these things)

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
whatever man. Most offenses do not put up 500 yards and 50 points against the best defenses. It happens on occassion, but it doesn't happen with regularity. I'm as confident we'll beat Seattle again as I was in the beginning of the year and as much as I was at the end of last year. We put up 27 pts and 360 yds against them last time we played. What are you expecting????

Do you remember the playoff game last year... where we put up 22, even though we got 5 turnovers? It was a SAD SAD showing.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, I remember, and never at any point in that game did I think Seattle was outplaying us. you did? Up until a string of very unlikely events happened, Half that stadium cleared out of Seahawks fans because even they thought it was over.

I also remember a free play being an INT. I remember Jordy dropping a TD too. Our offense had our struggles, most teams do against top flight defenses in the playoffs. I don't expect 500 yards and 50 points. Do you remember the game earlier this year? 360+ and 27 points, not good enough?

but of course you were here in April telling everyone how bad our receiving corps was. oh wait, you didn't show up till the team started losing.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that we just outed another TT-hater.

I have no problems with people questioning some of his moves, as there are no GMs above criticism. However, I think that PatriotPlayer90 would also be arguing that the Holocaust and moon landings didn't happen if we went that route.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, I remember, and never at any point in that game did I think Seattle was outplaying us. you did? Up until a string of very unlikely events happened, Half that stadium cleared out of Seahawks fans because even they thought it was over.

I also remember a free play being an INT. I remember Jordy dropping a TD too. Our offense had our struggles, most teams do against top flight defenses in the playoffs. I don't expect 500 yards and 50 points. Do you remember the game earlier this year? 360+ and 27 points, not good enough?

but of course you were here in April telling everyone how bad our receiving corps was. oh wait, you didn't show up till the team started losing.

Alright here we go again, don't agree with someone and that must mean that I have a personal vendetta.... For real people can't you just debate a point without it being personal. What substance does that add for anyone else on the forums.

I'm going to end this right now.

The Packers have won the last 3 of 4... I'm still here! OMG! My posting has nothing to do with the Packers record. PERIOD. Has to deal with life and having a son. Get over it already, this has been brought up to nausea at this point.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok now, back to the real point. Yes I do remember those plays. Do you also remember....

The Packers were 3-14 on third down?
Aaron had like a 55 QBR
That 7 of 12 drives were 5 plays or less.

It isn't a fact of playing a good defense... New England did just fine two weeks later.
8-14 on third down
Brady had a 101 QBR
3 drives that had 5 plays or less

And yes, I make no excuses the Seahawks beat us. They were better that day... And that's all that matters.

Now to circle this back around... I don't think we are in dire need at receiver, with Jordy back I think it gives a huge bump to cobb and that just trickles down.

I just think it is interesting idea for the future to get some more talent on the outside, like a true stud that can consistently beat 1 on 1 coverage. Though I doubt with our save draft picks strategies that we will risk doing anything early enough to get one.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
personal? what are you even talking about?

But I will get personal for a second, I think you just like to argue.

It's not much of a stretch to see our passing game has had trouble for much of this year. I was simply debating with a certain poster that thinks the passing problems have been obvious for a long time and we should have gone WR and TE draft heavy last year. and then you jump in with "yeah" and then follow it up, with "we're fine if Jordy is back" So which is it? should we have gone heavier in WR and TE in the draft? or did you think we were fine heading into the season?

You don't think we were good enough to beat seattle or you do? Without Jordy we did 360+ and 27 pts. Good enough? or not? it's no secret they haven't been up to par much of the season, and you were calling it before the season started? or after we started losing?

You're not the only one with a son, or a life fyi :)

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This is what I was talking about personal... Adds nothing to the conversation.

personal? what are you even talking about?

But I will get personal for a second, I think you just like to argue.

It's not much of a stretch to see our passing game has had trouble for much of this year. I was simply debating with a certain poster that thinks the passing problems have been obvious for a long time and we should have gone WR and TE draft heavy last year. and then you jump in with "yeah" and then follow it up, with "we're fine if Jordy is back" So which is it? should we have gone heavier in WR and TE in the draft? or did you think we were fine heading into the season?

You don't think we were good enough to beat seattle or you do? Without Jordy we did 360+ and 27 pts. Good enough? or not? it's no secret they haven't been up to par much of the season, and you were calling it before the season started? or after we started losing?

You're not the only one with a son, or a life fyi :)

Lol if wanted to argue, I'd go debate politics with someone. That's not it. I just enjoy hearing both sides. Fact is there is always opposing views, I am agree with someone just happens to not be you... This time.

But to answer your question.

I don't want to re-do the draft. I like Randall and Rollins so far. Randall could be something special if he keep his trajectory going this way. I'm not huge on Ty and Jake as much as some others here are.

The point I was agreeing with is that I think a stud receiver, I don't mean to say go back in time... Just saying as a future thought. We don't have a single press beating type person on the team. Cobb should be more than he is. I mean Welker did it for years with 2 way goes from the slot. But he doesn't seem to be that guy.

So no im not saying retro-actively go back, I'm just saying now that you don't know if Jordy will have that extra step anymore and we seen what this team is without him on offense. Not a bad idea.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I think this draft was crap. Drafting a FB and backup QB? Don't you think there were bigger needs? At least try to go for somebody who could make a difference.
I just wanted to preserve this post declaring a draft was crap eight months after it occurred. What if Randall and Rollins each have a couple of pro bowl appearances during their careers? What if Montgomery's career eclipses Cobb's, Ryan becomes an answer at ILB and Ringo makes us forget Kuhn? Of course that’s unlikely but the one thing we know for certain is we don’t know the value of a draft class eight months after it was selected. So why would a Packers fan post it was crap at this point?

And here we go again with posters using hindsight to pretend they had WR as one of the top needs of the 2015 draft. And also apparently pretending that an obvious stud WR was available at #30 after 6 WRs were already taken. BTW, Thompson – and every other GM – tries to 'go for somebody who could make a difference'. For example, after losing Tramon and House, he drafted two CBs he thought could make a difference and at this early date it looks like he was right. But posters pining exclusively for need-based picks have short memories. Thompson's has fallen victim to that in the past and so did Wolf: For just one easy example, remember the 1999 draft? CB Antwan Edwards, CB Fred Vinson, and (thank goodness) CB Mike McKenzie were the first three picks in response to the Vikings new star, Randy Moss. The first two were wasted picks - just like every other GM Wolf had bad misses in the draft.

IMO it’s legitimate to ask why some posters only show up to post when the team is struggling. It’s not that negativity and criticism aren’t allowed here, they obviously are. And there are posters who are generally more negative than most of us but they’re here in good and bad times. I have a lot more respect for their negativity than for those who selectively show up. And IMO it is also legitimate to look at the entire posting history of a poster and if it’s warranted to draw conclusions about their agenda. We’ve certainly seen posters with an obvious agenda come and go.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is what I was talking about personal... Adds nothing to the conversation.

Lol if wanted to argue, I'd go debate politics with someone. That's not it. I just enjoy hearing both sides. Fact is there is always opposing views, I am agree with someone just happens to not be you... This time.

But to answer your question.

I don't want to re-do the draft. I like Randall and Rollins so far. Randall could be something special if he keep his trajectory going this way. I'm not huge on Ty and Jake as much as some others here are.

The point I was agreeing with is that I think a stud receiver, I don't mean to say go back in time... Just saying as a future thought. We don't have a single press beating type person on the team. Cobb should be more than he is. I mean Welker did it for years with 2 way goes from the slot. But he doesn't seem to be that guy.

So no im not saying retro-actively go back, I'm just saying now that you don't know if Jordy will have that extra step anymore and we seen what this team is without him on offense. Not a bad idea.
and neither does implying that because you have a son, the rest of us posting don't have a life, but that never stops you from making those types of comments all over the message board, but anyway.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and neither does implying that because you have a son, the rest of us posting don't have a life, but that never stops you from making those types of comments all over the message board, but anyway.

WTF dude seriously...

I'm not implying anything... You are one actually inferring that based off my statement that "I have a young child" that means that I am also saying... others "don't have a life"? When I have never typed that EVER TO ANYONE.

Simply stating that is why I haven't and honestly why does that even matter? The only time I bring up my son is in defense to ******* comments that somehow my length of time away affects the validity of my post.

Can we please talk about football? Or would you like to continue to attack me? Go look back to see who made the first comments about "but of course you were here in April telling everyone how bad our receiving corps was. oh wait, you didn't show up till the team started losing." I didn't say anything about you as a person.

Fact is I dont think your past post are even relevant to this conversation. I have never even looked at your past post cause its not relevant and I don't need to throw dirt to win a debate.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oddly enough I agree with this... The Packers have a known issue if facing 1 lockdown corner. Take Jordy out of games and it make it pretty miserable on the offense. Look at Seattle in the playoffs last year. Offense was horrible. Even a decent showing by them has GB in the super bowl.

I think the Packers need an actual game changer at wide receiver. Cobb has regressed some and has shown he can't be a number 1, Jones is slow, Adams i dont even have words for that kid right now, Abby has to stay healthy, Janis is a LOOOONG way from being a polished receiver.

Just because you have 20 receivers does mean they have talent. You look at the difference an ODB, Antonio Brown, Julio Jones makes in a game. We don't have that speed in a receiver that knows how to run a route. Watching ODB is incredibly. (Granted he may be the only man on earth that can do these things)
Thanks for agreeing...there's nothing wrong with getting the QB some help. We looked fine against Seattle without Chancellor, but Seattle made many mistakes that game. We need to be able to beat them when they are playing their best game. And the offense looked awful against the defenses of Denver and Carolina.

As good as Brady is, it's clear he's on a completely different level with Gronk on the field. He went from being a guy who should hang up his cleats to throwing 4 TDs in the Super Bowl last year once Gronk was healthy. As good as defenses are now, I think the team needs more help.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WTF dude seriously...

I'm not implying anything... You are one actually inferring that based off my statement that "I have a young child" that means that I am also saying... others "don't have a life"? When I have never typed that EVER TO ANYONE.

Simply stating that is why I haven't and honestly why does that even matter? The only time I bring up my son is in defense to ******* comments that somehow my length of time away affects the validity of my post.

Can we please talk about football? Or would you like to continue to attack me? Go look back to see who made the first comments about "but of course you were here in April telling everyone how bad our receiving corps was. oh wait, you didn't show up till the team started losing." I didn't say anything about you as a person.

Fact is I dont think your past post are even relevant to this conversation. I have never even looked at your past post cause its not relevant and I don't need to throw dirt to win a debate.
The irony is thick in this one LOL

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts