The 2015 draft class, so far.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I understand the premise of your point I think you have exaggerated the point to a level that is a little far out there. I don't believe I ever suggested that the Packers should maintain a team of Pro Bowl caliber players.

I'm simply stating it is similar to the problem we had at running back for years... Using 4th 5th round and a smorgasbord of others to fill the spot until finally settling on someone with some know talent and upside.

It's obviously unfeasible to get a pro-bowl lineup all the way around. But maybe instead of adding 5 receivers that have little upside, drafting just in the first or second round of the coming years or even trading up for a game changer. One with the 4.4 speed, jumping ability wouldn't be a bad option.

I get what your saying but when I see names like Brown n ODB get thrown around it makes me shrug. Plus we do consistently take WRs high in the draft and more often then not TT has hit on those picks.

And while a 4.4 WR that can jump through the roof would be undeniably great trading up into the first is not a way I would go considering there's other holes to fill.

Pretty much my post was pointing out some people won't be happy unless we get 5 picks in the 1st n 2nd rounds and go WR, TE, LT, ILB and OLB whike hitting on at least 4 of those and even then I'm confident they'd say "See if only TT wouldn't have botched that pick we'd have a TE that can stretch the field but now we're stuck with R. Rodgers. Freakin TT".

Not saying your that type but you know someone would say it

Last edited:

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get what your saying but when I see names like Brown n ODB get thrown around it makes me shrug. Plus we do consistently take WRs high in the draft and more often then not TT has hit on those picks

I believe the he's taken 3 in the second round and none in the first. At least the last couple of years.

Nelson
Cobb
Adams

Two of the three of those I feel are above average in the NFL.

My theory is spending one in the first... Getting someone like DeAndre Hopkins who was available to us. Not saying it is plausible or the "biggest" need. But I think someone that could beat 1 on 1 coverage consistently could be very valuable especially since we don't know for sure Jordy will have the same speed when he returns.

D

Deleted member 6794

I believe the he's taken 3 in the second round and none in the first. At least the last couple of years.

Nelson
Cobb
Adams

My theory is spending one in the first... Getting someone like DeAndre Hopkins who was available to us. Not saying it is plausible or the "biggest" need. But I think someone that could beat 1 on 1 coverage consistently could be very valuable especially since we don't know for sure Jordy will have the same speed when he returns.

Thompson selected Greg Jennings in the second round as well. With the receiving corps entering this or past seasons there was no reason to spend a first-rounder on the position. There was no chance of knowing Nelson would be lost for the season during training camp and the others struggling mightily without him.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson selected Greg Jennings in the second round as well. With the receiving corps entering this or past seasons there was no reason to spend a first-rounder on the position. There was no chance of knowing Nelson would be lost for the season during training camp and the others struggling mightily without him.

Agreed, I more looking forward than back... Ideas for the future.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Nelson
Cobb
Adams

Hopkins certainly would help this team more than Datone Jones. I don't think we were as set as receiver as others, because our offense has always struggled against the great defenses. The vast majority of those great numbers were not put up against top tier defenses, so they really don't matter. What I want to see is somebody who can make a difference in these games, and until we see it, we still have a need at receiver/TE.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hopkins certainly would help this team more than Datone Jones. I don't think we were as set as receiver as others, because our offense has always struggled against the great defenses. The vast majority of those great numbers were not put up against top tier defenses, so they really don't matter. What I want to see is somebody who can make a difference in these games, and until we see it, we still have a need at receiver/TE.

That's a fair assumption in hindsight. At the time of the draft the Packers receiving corps featured Nelson, Cobb, Jones and Finley with the team needing help on the defensive side of the ball after getting run over by the Niners in the playoffs. There was no reason to pick a receiver in the first round.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and the vast majority of NFL teams don't have a great defense, so what. We put up 360 and 27 pts on Seattle THIS year. We put up 320 and 30 pts on MN this year. We sucked against Denver, no doubt this team has had some struggles against good defenses, most teams do. We've also had good games against good defenses too. Remember the Panthers game last year? when we put up 360+ and almost 40 points on them in a rout. They were a good defense then too. 360 and almost 40 not good enough for you to win an NFL game?

what are you expecting? 500 and 50 every game? Is that the offense you expect? More often than not, when GB has played a top defense in the past 3 years, they have been the team that brings that defenses average up in points and yards, rather than the team that brings those averages down. That means they do better than most. It doesn't mean they've been perfect in every game, it means they're better than most. They're good defenses for a reason you know?

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a fair assumption in hindsight. At the time of the draft the Packers receiving corps featured Nelson, Cobb, Jones and Finley with the team needing help on the defensive side of the ball after getting run over by the Niners in the playoffs. There was no reason to pick a receiver in the first round.

I think that is just an example...

The point i am trying to make is not to look in hindsight quite in that fashion. We could never have seen the injury to Jordy coming and the result.

More of what I was looking at is since 2006 the Packers have drafted 11 WR's. Only 4 of those at this point have made a real impact to the team.

JJ (3rd round)
Cobb (2nd round)
Nelson (2nd round)
Jennings (2nd Round)

4 still have their time remaining to see what happens

Montgomery
Adams (though not so sure his isnt already set in stone)
Abbrederis
Janis

So realistically I think 1 or two of those have a chance to be productive. Not getting into who.

That means that 6 out of 11 picks will never amount to anything, not even a roster spot in many some cases. Wouldn't it be better to select 1 great receiver. Than this plethora of receivers that have low ceilings and floor, that are highly unlikely to posses the physical talents at the position.

Forbes did a study, and it found in 2014 undrafted players were more likely to be starters in the NFL than rounds 3-7 in draft. Granted its only a one year study and I couldnt find data for other years... Be interesting if it was out there.

My thought is instead of pick after pick after pick of misses if it is a position you are willing to spend on average over a pick per year on. Why not spend big on it once and know your player has the natural ability to do something. Then move on to something else.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and the vast majority of NFL teams don't have a great defense, so what. We put up 360 and 27 pts on Seattle THIS year. We put up 320 and 30 pts on MN this year. We sucked against Denver, no doubt this team has had some struggles against good defenses, most teams do. We've also had good games against good defenses too. Remember the Panthers game last year? when we put up 360+ and almost 40 points on them in a rout. They were a good defense then too. 360 and almost 40 not good enough for you to win an NFL game?

what are you expecting? 500 and 50 every game? Is that the offense you expect? More often than not, when GB has played a top defense in the past 3 years, they have been the team that brings that defenses average up in points and yards, rather than the team that brings those averages down. That means they do better than most. It doesn't mean they've been perfect in every game, it means they're better than most. They're good defenses for a reason you know?

Just one correction, Carolina was 21st in points allowed last year.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score

As good as Brady is, he required one of the most dominant TEs in NFL History in order for them to have a chance in the SB. I'd like an offense that can put up that many points against anyone.

Right, because apparently the only way to complete your roster is with unproven rookies. A stud WR is a much sure bet in this offense with Rodgers at QB than a DE.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and going into the 2015 draft NOBODY and I mean NOBODY considered Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb stud WR's LOL. Freaking chumps with shoulder pads. Can't believe Ted Thompson thought those 2 were a worthy 1 & 2 on this NFL team.

and you bring up the Patriots with Gronk, 320 and 21 pts against our lowly 18th rated defense, meanwhile we put up 480 and 26pts against their 8th ranked defense with our meager receivers

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and going into the 2015 draft NOBODY and I mean NOBODY considered Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb stud WR's LOL. Freaking chumps with shoulder pads. Can't believe Ted Thompson thought those 2 were a worthy 1 & 2 on this NFL team.

and you bring up the Patriots with Gronk, 320 and 21 pts against our lowly 18th rated defense, meanwhile we put up 480 and 26pts against their 8th ranked defense with our meager receivers
Who cares what happened in the regular season...who won the SB and matched up better with Seattle's defense? Until we win an SB or at least put on a good offensive showing in the playoffs with these guys, it's a moot point.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, I see, we use 1 game sample sizes now to prove things. LOL

and regular season ones don't count, but I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that the Pats and the superior matchup put up about 15 more yards and 1 point more than our dismal offense missing it's top chump receiver.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, I see, we use 1 game sample sizes now to prove things. LOL

and regular season ones don't count, but I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that the Pats and the superior matchup put up about 15 more yards and 1 point more than our dismal offense missing it's top chump receiver.
Seattle was terrible against us this year. Not only were they missing Chancellor, but they had many penalties that led to points and field position for us. And they clearly weren't playing at the same level they were last year, or right now. Not to take away anything from GB because they played a great game, but I'm not as confident that our defense can keep them at bay in a rematch.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have you seen the Packers offense this year?

If you're asking if I've seen the 12th highest scoring offense in the NFL, then yes, yes I have seen the 12th highest scoring offense in the NFL...and that's 12th highest with Nelson out for the year, Adams playing hurt, Cobb playing hurt, Montgomery (apparently) done for the year, etc.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you're asking if I've seen the 12th highest scoring offense in the NFL, then yes, yes I have seen the 12th highest scoring offense in the NFL...and that's 12th highest with Nelson out for the year, Adams playing hurt, Cobb playing hurt, Montgomery (apparently) done for the year, etc.
The season averages mean nothing when we suck against the Denvers and Carolinas. And I'm not sure how the injuries are supposed to be reassuring.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The past 2 games with Carolina have yielded about 800 yards of offense and 60 points. We played a horrible game against Denver. Are we back to 1 game sample sizes? I hope we get to play both of those teams again as I'm pretty confident neither goes the way it did the last time we played.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You understand that is behind Blaine Gabbert (Jags) and Alex Smith (Chiefs) right... I don't know about you, but I don't think 1st or 2nd best quarterback in the league should be in the 12th spot ever.

Also not sure when being 12th was ever an accomplishment.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You understand that is behind Blaine Gabbert (Jags) and Alex Smith (Chiefs) right... I don't know about you, but I don't think 1st or 2nd best quarterback in the league should be in the 12th spot ever.

Also not sure when being 12th was ever an accomplishment.
Gabbert, lol. Thankfully not anymore. Bortles is the QB now, but he's got a great compliment of young receivers, which is why they are having success.

To stay on topic, I actually really like Randall. He was burned earlier in the year, but I never wrote him off because I think he's capable of being a very good player.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gabbert, lol. Thankfully not anymore. Bortles is the QB now, but he's got a great compliment of young receivers, which is why they are having success.

To stay on topic, I actually really like Randall. He was burned earlier in the year, but I never wrote him off because I think he's capable of being a very good player.

Ohhh snap... Been hearing Gabbert's name too often lately. Nice catch.

And ya, I think he has a lot of potential for sure... I need to get a new jersey one of these years. Been sticking with Woodson for far too long. And I have a soft spot for corners since that what I use to play. Im really close to pulling the trigger on a Randall one.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ohhh snap... Been hearing Gabbert's name too often lately. Nice catch.

And ya, I think he has a lot of potential for sure... I need to get a new jersey one of these years. Been sticking with Woodson for far too long. And I have a soft spot for corners since that what I use to play. Im really close to pulling the trigger on a Randall one.
I'm fairly critical, but I like Randall quite a bit. But Jaguar are actually quite fun to watch, as Bortles tends to throw a lot of balls up for grabs, and Robinson is good at pulling them down. Man, I wish TT had drafted him.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and of course, you just knew last year after they were drafted, the differences that would be in year 2. Must have been a big fan of Robinson's speed? I know it's a big number for you, what was his 40 time?

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and of course, you just knew last year after they were drafted, the differences that would be in year 2. Must have been a big fan of Robinson's speed? I know it's a big number for you, what was his 40 time?
Look at the college highlights of the him and Adams, and you can clearly see a difference. Robinson is much more explosive and quicker, and you see him put his superior leaping skills to use. You can tell in their college tapes that Robinson is a much superior player.

I didn't just look at the combine results of Adams and scoff, but I looked at the highlights of his greatest plays in college, and he just looked like a guy catching balls against weak competition. Sure, he's got the attributes to be a solid starter, but he looks far from it both back then and now.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ok, give us some, go get the highlights, point them out and post them right here. talk about explosive, Adams had 10 less catches and about 100 less yards but averaged double the yards per catch and caught more TD's than Robinson their rookie year, but again, you clearly knew the difference between the 2 and of course knew that Jordy and Cobb were just chumps with shoulder pads.

Members online

Latest posts